ADVERTISEMENT

USC and UCLA to Big 10?

smashmouth5

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 25, 2001
Looks like it could happen. With Oklahoma and Texas to SEC and now possibly this move, is the ACC getting left behind? Gotta get Notre Dame in as a full time member.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Looks like it could happen. With Oklahoma and Texas to SEC and now possibly this move, is the ACC getting left behind? Gotta get Notre Dame in as a full time member.
ND isn’t going to join the ACC as a full time member. If they decide to join a conference, the money and geography of the Big 10/12/14 is much better.

Notre Dame can't save the ACC after those power moves. The money gap will be far too wide between the ACC and those two conferences.

Reactions: smashmouth5
The ACC will always be a basketball Conference. Wouldn’t surprise me either f Clemson was to bolt, Miami and Florida state . However, the ACC would just add Basketball powered schools to the conference.

The ACC will always be a basketball Conference. Wouldn’t surprise me either f Clemson was to bolt, Miami and Florida state . However, the ACC would just add Basketball powered schools to the conference.
Football is the money driver. If that happens I would not be surprised to see somebody like UNC to look at joining the Big 10.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the following over the next few years (assuming TV deals, etc.. get ironed out along the way:

Duke/UNC/UVA/ND to the Big10...

Clemson/FSU/Miami/Louisville to SEC

It just seems like the next logical step, unfortunately

Change is inevitable, but what we have seen over the last few years is beyond change. Money is the driving force. To the point of greed, and probably no turning back. It has severely damaged college basketball, due to the nba throwing mega millions at mediocre players. It's gotten so bad in pro sports, that it has flowed over to golf.

The "good ol days" are long gone fellas. That ship sailed a while back. The biggest lie any passionate fan can use now is putting the word academic in with the sports team.

If Duke and UNC joined the big 10, that’s a hella strong basketball conference. Acc is dead in the water, just waiting for the first domino to fall. If I had to guess it’s Clemson/fsu going to the sec

Reactions: smashmouth5
Change is inevitable, but what we have seen over the last few years is beyond change. Money is the driving force. To the point of greed, and probably no turning back. It has severely damaged college basketball, due to the nba throwing mega millions at mediocre players. It's gotten so bad in pro sports, that it has flowed over to golf.

The "good ol days" are long gone fellas. That ship sailed a while back. The biggest lie any passionate fan can use now is putting the word academic in with the sports team.

I think its CFB that wags the dog here...so CBB will follow what FB does...Clemson to the SEC makes sense. Headed towards 2 super conferences with no geographical logic at this point...i feel for the tier 2 schools who will end up being in conferences that dont get any attention or respect in post season eligibility

Reactions: Mac9192

Well said. College sports are dying. Pro sports and greedy schools are to blame. It’s really sad to see.

I wonder if whoever is left standing after this forms a con with the leftovers from the Big 12, ACC, and Pac 10.

I could also see Duke and UNC going to the Big 12. Make it a basketball conference. With KU, Baylor, Duke, UNC, Texas Tech, Houston.... That would be nasty.

I could also see Duke and UNC going to the Big 12. Make it a basketball conference. With KU, Baylor, Duke, UNC, Texas Tech, Houston.... That would be nasty.
UNC will go to either the SEC or Big 10 when the time comes. I hope the Duke/UNC rilvary is strong enough so they go together. Football is the driver and UNC wants in that car.

ACC should attempt poach Kansas, Kentucky, and Indiana, at least make a run at being the premier basketball conference since we’re going to lose clemson, fl state, Miami and unfortunately UNC eventually.. not a good position for duke to be in but it works for Nova

Reactions: sheyduke

Hearing Kansas is looking to join the Big East in basketball and go independent in football. I look for Duke and North Carolina to join the Big with Notre Dame and one other. Virginia looks like the most obvious, but if I was the Big I would try and poach Vanderbilt instead.

Hearing Kansas is looking to join the Big East in basketball and go independent in football. I look for Duke and North Carolina to join the Big with Notre Dame and one other. Virginia looks like the most obvious, but if I was the Big I would try and poach Vanderbilt instead.
This is nonsense. KU will not leave the Big 12 to join the Big East. Why in the world would anyone think KU would go independent in football?

This is nonsense. KU will not leave the Big 12 to join the Big East. Why in the world would anyone think KU would go

My guess is because the Big 12 will be a glorified mid major without Texas and Oklahoma. Take into account they did give a damn about football, maybe they go all out for basketball. They obviously want the Big, but they aren't wanted.

Last edited:
My guess is because the Big 12 will be a glorified mid major without Texas and Oklahoma. Take into account they did give a damn about football, maybe they go all out for basketball. They obviously want the Big, but they aren't wanted.
Are you saying that is why you believe KU would go independent in football? Teams that contemplate going independent do so because they are strong enough to command attention and can fill out a schedule. KU can't do that in football. We won't be doing that and anyone that believes we're contemplating going independent in football is insane. That will not happen. We're in a much better position in the Big 12 than we would be in the Big East. Furthermore, there are a lotta ins, a lotta outs, a lotta what-have-yous. And uh, a lot of strands to keep in my head, man. Lotta strands in old Duder's head.

We enjoyed the golden age of CBB and CFB. It's over. Nearly every decision over the past 20 years has moved these sports closer to generic random NBA/NFL developmental leagues. Increasingly gone is the rivalries, pageantry and history.

Bottomline: if both are now entitled rich assholes, I might as well save my time & money on the actual best athletes on the Planet and that's NBA/NFL not paid 18-22 year olds.

Are you saying that is why you believe KU would go independent in football? Teams that contemplate going independent do so because they are strong enough to command attention and can fill out a schedule. KU can't do that in football. We won't be doing that and anyone that believes we're contemplating going independent in football is insane. That will not happen. We're in a much better position in the Big 12 than we would be in the Big East. Furthermore, there are a lotta ins, a lotta outs, a lotta what-have-yous. And uh, a lot of strands to keep in my head, man. Lotta strands in old Duder's head.

Thats what I'm hearing, not saying. Quite frankly I don't give a damn what Kansas does. Don't give them a second thought.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Thats what I'm hearing, not saying. Quite frankly I don't give a damn what Kansas does. Don't give them a second thought.
And yet you're posting about Kansas. I can't speak for KU or all KU fans, but I can tell you that all KU fans that I know think the Big East is a terrible idea for KU. The chances of KU going to the Big East are minimal. They are probably close to the same odds of Duke going to the Big East. It's not happening.

Notre Dame will hold out as long as possible from joining a conference because it wants to keep its independent TV money.

I was a little surprised when the Duke administration decided to go Big Time hiring Elko and giving more money for assistants. Now I suspect the Admin. saw a time coming when it would be critical to have a competitive football team to be attractive to a new conference.

Reactions: geddoughton23
I hope that Duke and my Tar Heels remain in the ACC.

Syracuse, Boston College and Pittsburgh are fine academic institutions with pretty good athletic traditions. They just don't fit in the ACC. They were invited to the conference and should be treated well. Ideally, a settlement giving them a lot of money and setting them up in a conference in the northeast makes sense.

The Big Ten should pay Maryland and Rutgers a fortune to merge with BC, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and UConn.

If any of Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech or Clemson want to secede, let them for a nominal fee.
I prefer a League with fewer teams in a compact geographic area.

Certainly TV deals can be negotiated that would not require teams to join new conferences. UCLA doesn't want to play Rutgers. USC doesn't want to go to Minnesota. They only want the attractive matchups against Ohio State and Michigan.

ACC should attempt poach Kansas, Kentucky, and Indiana, at least make a run at being the premier basketball conference since we’re going to lose clemson, fl state, Miami and unfortunately UNC eventually.. not a good position for duke to be in but it works for Nova
Please don't assume UK will walk away from the humongous $ they get from the SEC.
Don't be silly:mad: (Same with IU).

• Haha
Reactions: pisgah101
Mack Brown would LOVE to make UNC a "football school," but knows in his wildest dreams it would NEVER happen. I think my friend @geddoughton23 would attest to this.

However the $$$ and prestige associated with a move to Big 10 or SEC is tempting. It will certainly tempt UNC AD Bubba Cunningham, and certainly Mack's teams are TALENTED ENOUGH to compete for a spot in a 12 team playoff. I know Mack favors an expanded playoff.

OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
Mack Brown would LOVE to make UNC a "football school," but knows in his wildest dreams it would NEVER happen. I think my friend @geddoughton23 would attest to this.

However the $$$ and prestige associated with a move to Big 10 or SEC is tempting. It will certainly tempt UNC AD Bubba Cunningham, and certainly Mack's teams are TALENTED ENOUGH to compete for a spot in a 12 team playoff. I know Mack favors an expanded playoff.

OFC
My reading comprehension is decreasing!. UNC is definitely a Basketball school and will not be a Football school in my lifetime. I first thought that your post said that UNC will never be good. An opportunity was squandered last year. UNC had a great QB in Howell.

I drove through UNC's campus recently and saw about 50 coeds and two young men. Not a lot of testosterone. Probably can never be a football school unless something horrible happens to basketball

No reason UNC can't slip into the top 10 in football occasionally. No reason that Duke can't be a competitive football program if given the chance. I think that Coach Elko will have a team to be proud of this season and perhaps a really good program soon

I really don't want UNC to try to be a Football school. You have to take too many academic and character exceptions and pay the players too much. ( please insert any jokes . I know that my University takes too many exceptions and pays football players illegal benefits. perhaps I'm naive, but I don't believe that we do it as much as Ohio State and LSU. they certainly achieve much more)

Really I would be thrilled to have zero 4 and 5 star recruits with better coaching and effort. If Clemson, Florida State and a few others depart, I would like for the ACC to be a much smaller conference in a manageable geographic area with elite basketball and decent football

No top league will want duke. Football program is to bad doesn't make that much money. We better pray that unc doesn't leave that will kill duke and acc

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT