ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech next

To beat TTU you gotta make your 3-point shots. Very rarely do we allow points in the paint.
Were a deep team- we can play 10 guys if necessary and often times sub out like a hockey team to maintain our intensity on defense.
We can really be bad offensively but most of our points come off turnovers in transition or in the paint- through Bryson Williams. Every once in a while we shoot well from 3-point but that's rare.

signed-

a red raider fan.
Hockey team… you unwittingly stumbled onto some major insight there

Anything around the restricted arch they are sending three to four bodies in. Almost forcing the officials hands not to call anything. ND started spreading them out and the whistles started blowing .
This. Keep good spacing so the refs are forced to blow the whistle like in football holds are usually called in the open field or on the ends . It’s simply more visible to the refs and the fans

Reactions: sheyduke
This is why I see Tech doubling Paolo. I watched the game and man are they grown size wise.
if Mark and Johns can hold the low post down and we can get them the ball , Duke improves their chances . Techs two bigs aren’t tall but are physical and the Santos kid will try to push mark off the block.
We will absolutely double/triple team your bigs. We don't want the ball in the paint. We collapse our defense if the ball gets in the middle or down low. Kick out to a guard for a 3 point shot, they will be open.

also if you skip pass the ball you'll have an open guard on the weak side.

If we turn the ball over getting points off fast breaks could happen in the paint.

Last edited:
Anything around the restricted arch they are sending three to four bodies in. Almost forcing the officials hands not to call anything. ND started spreading them out and the whistles started blowing .

Not nearly enough....

We will absolutely double/triple team your bigs. We don't want the ball in the paint. We collapse our defense if the ball gets in the middle or down low. Kick out to a guard for a 3 point shot, they will be open.

also if you skip pass the ball you'll have an open guard on the weak side.

If we turn the ball over getting points off fast breaks could happen in the paint.
We want you to. I want you to send three against Paolo and let him pass easy passes to mark and Theo . Leave one of three guards unguarded.
my only concern is letting them pull Paolo to the perimeter and him staying there.
I get y’all are going to sub in 11 players religiously as fast as you can .
the difference is we have three , two who play down low and one who can take you off the dribble and drive legitimate bigs( a course I look for Johns to get some tic tak fouls but keep away from the offensive fouls and rebound and it’s a game .

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Not nearly enough....
And what did they do? ND started back attacking the basket and three tech players there forcing the red to play a game of , let’s play on I can’t see anything .

Brey and K are really close so I'm sure we take some of their plan. I've watched Tech a few times and they play really tough and really good defense, but we are sooooo much more talented. Really hope AJ is a go for his outside shot.

If we can hit a couple outside 3 point shots early on and loosen up their pack line defense that should open up some driving lanes then we should be fine. Once we do that, we can't fall in love and keep settling for the 3 ball though. Against MSU, we only took 13 3's. Was there a game where we took less 3's?

Watched the ND/TTech game again. Irish got the lead hitting corner threes. Jones and Baker can hit that shot. We all know how stubborn Coack K can be but hope he sees the value in giving those guys 3-4 minutes in order to keep the starters rested. Shouldn’t hurt Duke on D

Reactions: Liftee
I am worried about Banchero's foul shooting. He misses the front end of too many crucial one-and-ones as well as other foul shots. I hope TT does not adopt a strategy of putting him on the line late. OFC

Wait so, TT plays a packline similar to UVA? Thought they played M2M? If so, we should be used to that kind of preparation and we’ve already played Gonzaga. And yes, TT is better than UVA, but if they play similar BUT better than UVA, then I like the fact we are familiar with that type of defense and K has feasted on it for years. Of course it doesn’t guarantee anything, but atleast it’s not a foreign concept to our coaches and players (if they do indeed play a similar defense). I’ve never seen them play (only seen their stats) so I’m asking for clarification.

I know others have said they heard AJ is good to go, but ive seen nothing to back that up. Anyone have an article or video confirming he's playing? He will be needed in a big way

Nothing official. I imagine he will play but won't be 100 percent. He was jumping up and down in the locker room but how it feels today and the next few days is more important.

Last edited:
Tech plays a no middle D. They force you to shoot outside or to the baseline where they then try to trap.
We need Mark behind the D and Paolo in the middle or down low and kicking out or dropping off to Mark. If we stand around and watch as 1 guy farts around on the perimeter and then tries to go 1 on 3 we lose. Of we don't pass and make them move, we struggle. No spin moves to the middle from Paolo please. That would equal turnovers and runnouts which aids their weak offense.

I’ve read a lot of their defense and being better than UVA. That may be true but the PG play is what really hurt us against UVA….how is their PG?

Virginia just lost to St. Bonaventure. So much for the ACC being a super conference. I think UCLA smokes UNC. I could care less about the ACC so long as we win.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke83
I’ve read a lot of their defense and being better than UVA. That may be true but the PG play is what really hurt us against UVA….how is their PG?
No idea but I can assure you they’ll shoot lights out.

I believe the game will be decided in last 4-5 minutes. 11 on 7 will wear down Duke’s starters if they are playing 37-38 minutes. They must get some rest early on to be fresh at the end.

I am worried about Banchero's foul shooting. He misses the front end of too many crucial one-and-ones as well as other foul shots. I hope TT does not adopt a strategy of putting him on the line late. OFC
Agreed. Paolo is a 72% free throw shooter overall, but I feel like he's closer to 20% in shooting the front end of one and ones in the last six min of close games. So weird, other than foul shooting he seems just fine under pressure.

Reactions: Devilinside
My gut tells me we win the next one and lose to Gonzaga after that. But my gut's been wrong before. If we play smart, I think we can beat TT. But if we play young and take bad shots, we could be walking into a buzzsaw. I would be pleased with elite eight for this bunch but it would kind of stink to go out in the round of 8 for 3 straight tournaments.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ
I can’t remember a time when Duke was getting points, even if it’s only 1, on a neutral court when they are the higher seed.

Very strange.

Reactions: christophero
AJ not being 100 percent could factor in. We play better on the road, so maybe being out west will help our focus.

Last edited:
My gut tells me we win the next one and lose to Gonzaga after that. But my gut's been wrong before. If we play smart, I think we can beat TT. But if we play young and take bad shots, we could be walking into a buzzsaw. I would be pleased with elite eight for this bunch but it would kind of stink to go out in the round of 8 for 3 straight tournaments.
FWIW my gut is telling me the exact same thing. If we play within ourselves, don't shoot 40 3's and limit turnovers I think we beat TT by 10 in a low scoring grind. I think the Zags are a tough matchup for us.

Reactions: christophero
Jeremy will need to attack and dish, and the team will need to move the ball. ND did it well and had TTU chasing all over the defensive end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT