ADVERTISEMENT

Recruit

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
What recruit did you follow and most want that didn't end up picking Duke? Also what player did pick duke you didn't expect? I think Patrick Patterson was the one I wanted most that didn't come and probably Kyrie simply because we had missed on a ton of too talent lately when he decided to come. I also think the Kyrie commit changed a lot for us even tho he didn't get to play much. Stupid toe!

I live in Iowa so it was easily Harrison Barnes. It felt like the sky was falling when he opted for UNC.

I never really had one. I'd rather have the kids that want to be here, and I don't mean that sarcastically or in a mean way. Just that I don't get that crazy about recruits.

I had always read and heard that K's biggest disappointment was not getting Chris Mullin. I think he would have been something at Duke.

I live in Iowa so it was easily Harrison Barnes. It felt like the sky was falling when he opted for UNC.

Yes, the HB decision was by far the most disappointing for me. Program had not enjoyed any elite NCAA tourney success for a 4-5 year period, we were looked at a short term future (09-10) that didn't look all that promising with Henderson's departure, and a longterm future that didn't look a ton better with HB's decision to pick UNC and the expectation that Singler would declare (+ the seniors graduating). Throw in the fact that HB picked UNC at a time when they were clearly dominating the rivalry, and it really didn't look as if we were getting any closer to returning to the top of college basketball.

Since the HB episode -- which was probably the only recruitment I ever followed pretty closely, I've made a point to not follow this type of stuff very much. With that said, Parker was definitely the most exciting commitment for me b/c (i) he was clearly regarded as the best prospect (Wiggins) nothwithstanding that we had signed in a long time (remember, when Kyrie committed, he was a top 10-15 player); and (ii) i remember being in love with the skill-level he showed in the high-school mixtapes that were out there. While I maybe should have been just as excited about Okafor, I was genuinely surprised by how good he was on day 1. I expected that like most young big guys, Okafor would be a lot rawer on the offensive end. Really haven't seen anything like that from a freshman big guy since I started watching college b-ball.

Harrison Barnes is certainly the most recent.

I think Livingston going pro was a pretty big let down and created a hole in our team for quite a few years at PG.

It's not something I like to admit, but at the time probably Harrison Barnes. As aah alluded to it was during a stretch where UNC was dominating us and Barnes commitment to them almost seemed to fuel that a little more.

But now looking back it's pretty easy to see it didn't hurt us that bad. Six months later we were the national champions. We also started a stretch that season that right now has us winning 10 of the past 13 against the Heels (Barnes was 2-3 against us) and we've won another national championship while they've been somewhat down. It's strange how things can often times work out.

Brandan Wright also hurt. He was considered a pretty solid Duke lean at one time, like Barnes, and actually early reports after his visit to UNC was that he wasn't all that impressed. In fact, I think it was Lawson and Ellington who actually made that comment to members of the media. Wright was low-key on his visit and showed very little emotion. Well, he shocked just about everyone when a few days later he pledged to the Heels.

Lastly, Greg Monroe kind of hurt too. He also was labeled a Duke lean by many pundits. He took an official to Georgetown and committed before he left. We didn't even get that official visit. That stretch, from Wright to Monroe to Barnes was very taxing on Duke fans. While our recruiting was hardly paltry, we were losing out on key targets. And while I enjoy watching UNC going through the same thing now, I do sympathize a bit because I remember it all too well. Besides, we still managed a championship during those tough times, and as we look ahead to 2015-16, the Heels appear to be one of the early favorites. Kind of shows you how both fanbases are pretty spoiled.

I actually started my Rivals membership because we were taking a look at John Wall. I really wanted John Wall. Luckily we didn't need him in 2010.

I was all over the recruitments of Kyrie, Jabari, Jah, and Tyus. Loved every minute tracking those recruitments, mainly because the Barnes' recruitment turned out to be a disappointment.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
It probably was HB for all the reasons aah discussed (he seemed to fit the Duke profile, he was highly regarded, the timing etc.). He now serves as a lesson that no one recruit can ever really sway the rivalry and you never know how things will turn out. Since the day he declared for UNC, Duke has been better/ahead in every conceivable category. During his his two-years, he was 2-3 against Duke, with no ACC Championships, no Final Fours, and no National Championships. He did not keep things rolling in Chapel Hill like they anticipated. Obviously all of that can't be laid at his feet (he is merely one of the causal factors), but I remember the hand-wringing when he opted for baby blue.

For me it had to be Kyrie Irving. Having the pleasure of following him some during his last year in HS and talking to him a few times along with a reporter from another site (Andrew Slater), it became something that I really wanted to happen for Duke. It was also pretty clear after K decided to throw everything at Irving and not Brandon Knight that Irving was coming to Duke.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
For me it had to be Kyrie Irving. Having the pleasure of following him some during his last year in HS and talking to him a few times along with a reporter from another site (Andrew Slater), it became something that I really wanted to happen for Duke. It was also pretty clear after K decided to throw everything at Irving and not Brandon Knight that Irving was coming to Duke.
I remember going from completely despondent after Barnes announced he was going to UNC to super elated a week later when I watched Kyrie pick Duke live on ESPNU. If only he hadn't suffered that pesky toe injury, we'd likely have 6 banners hanging in Cameron.

Reactions: mbdfan and denniden
I think Kobe would have been amazing to see in a Duke uniform. He's probably the one I wanted the most even though college was never really an option for him. I don't remeber Mullin's recruitment but he would be another. In terms of biggest let down though, had to be Harrison.

Gene Banks turning down UNC, UCLA, Notre Dame and Penn to come to a program that hadn't won more than 14 games in its last six seasons was pretty unexpected.

Johnny Dawkins turning down Maryland, Notre Dame and Villanova to come to a program coached by an unknown on the way to a 17-loss season was equally big.

Both were transformative recruits.

Biggest disappointments? Showing my age here but when I was a student, Duke got official visits from Bill Walton, Tom McMillen, John Lucas and David Thompson. We didn't know much about Thompson but Lucas was a local and Walton and especially McMillen were big deals in an era when freshmen were ineligible.

More recently, Duke thought it had a real shot at Chris Webber. Not sure if Duke dodged a bullet or not.

At the time, yes. In retrospect? I think we can all agree no.

Yes, I think this thread about subjective excitement / disappointment at the time of decision. You could argue that HB may have pushed us over the top (notwithstanding Kyrie's injury) in 10-11 if we had a frontline of HB and Kyle at the 3-4 (with HB defending Derrick Williams of Arizona instead of Ryan Kelly / Kyle), but it clearly wasn't as big of a miss as it seemed at the time.

In the last 10 years, I would say losing Greg Monroe proved far more damaging to our on-court production as it left us with a 2-year stretch (08-09, 09-10) where we really had no permanent answer at the 5 until Zoubek finally came on in the second half of his Sr. year -- and also fed into the ridiculous notion that Duke didn't know how to coach bigs, which probably hurt our big guy recruiting for another year or two. The 08-09 team, in particular, would have likely had a completely different March experience if it had a scoring threat around the rim.

Last edited:
More recently, Duke thought it had a real shot at Chris Webber. Not sure if Duke dodged a bullet or not.

Is that really a question? lol. The Webber NCAA issues (a Detroit guy giving him money on the side for future consideration) would have happened regardless of where he committed. Would have got us put on probation and the 91 title vacated. That was a huge doge.

Is that really a question? lol. The Webber NCAA issues (a Detroit guy giving him money on the side for future consideration) would have happened regardless of where he committed. Would have got us put on probation and the 91 title vacated. That was a huge doge.
92 title would have been vacated if he didn't call a timeout with none left so... yeah bullet dodged.

I remember going from completely despondent after Barnes announced he was going to UNC to super elated a week later when I watched Kyrie pick Duke live on ESPNU. If only he hadn't suffered that pesky toe injury, we'd likely have 6 banners hanging in Cameron.

^ I wasn't despondent over Barnes, but I was really shocked that he didn't come to Duke! He is actually the only recruit I have missed on (that I really wanted to see @ Duke).
I was giddy when Kyrie selected Duke, and I really believe there would be six (6) banners hanging in Cameron if not for the injury.
As an extra, I was super happy we got Jon Sheyer and Justise Winslow!!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Bill Bradley accepted scholarship to attend Duke. I believe it was his dad who got him to go to Princeton instead.
Fred Hetzel was also going to committ to Duke but Lefty Driesall got him to go to Davidson.
Bradley, Mullins, Heyman , Hetzel and Jack Marin together may have been best Duke team ever.

Reactions: Heyman25
I was really excited about livingston coming... That hurt. Then Monroe and Patterson and a few other bigs and that started the whole K can't teach/use big guys BS that went around. Luckily the plumlees came. I love and always have our guards/wings But getting jahlil excited me the most because once we got a big man I thought we would keep getting more.

Reactions: pisgah101 and dbav
I actually started my Rivals membership because we were taking a look at John Wall. I really wanted John Wall. Luckily we didn't need him in 2010.

I was all over the recruitments of Kyrie, Jabari, Jah, and Tyus. Loved every minute tracking those recruitments, mainly because the Barnes' recruitment turned out to be a disappointment.

Haha...Harrison Barnes is the player that pushed me to make an account on here (2 or 3 days before he Skyped Ol Roy). I had been lurking for a couple of years, but there was so much 'noise' about the Falcon that I just had to ask a couple of questions about him.
I never really did get caught up in recruiting (still not much), but HB was the first time I actually looked for info about a recruit. Never planned on posting that much on here either...haha, so much for that!

OFC

Maybe some others can help me out, but I believe we went hard after Casey Jacobson. I believe that in the end it was either him or Dunleavy. I think that ended his interest in us. I always thought K could make them both work and I remember Jacobson being terrific at Stanford. Really liked that guy, but would absolutely do things the same way.

Webber? Depends on whether a Michigan booster would have paid him to play for Duke and whether he would otherwise have had his hand out had he come to Duke. We just don't know.

Jacobsen wanted to commit but Duke preferred to wait on Dunleavy. They probably were mutually exclusive. Had all concerned know that Duke would lose Maggette and Avery the following spring, it might have changed the thinking.

McMillen visited Duke and he was a superb student. So, it made sense. But his final three was Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia. Duke didn't make the cut.

I mentioned Bill Walton upthread. Walton visited with a guard named Greg Lee, who might have been more highly regarded. Lee also went to UCLA, where he was a good, not great, player.

Fred Hetzel wanted to commit to Duke but Bradley had taken the last scholarship. Then again, Bubas could have had Hetzel had he not already used scholarships on Ron Herbster and Brent Kitching from that class. Hey, everybody makes mistakes.

Bradley was a huge loss. He was set to come to Duke until the day freshmen were supposed to report. Bucky Waters was in the basketball office, waiting for the call from Bradley to pick him up at the airport.

Instead the call was from Bradley's father, informing him that his son would be attending Princeton. The stated reason was that Bradley had gone to Europe over the summer, decided he wanted to major in international studies and thought Princeton had the best international studies program around.

Bubas told me that he was most bothered by the fact that Bill Bradley didn't make the call himself.

Bradley may not have been the most damaging miss of the '60s, however. Larry Miller came down to Duke and North Carolina and picked North Carolina. Duke was better than Carolina when Miller was a sophomore but the two programs passed in the night the following season and Duke didn't catch up until 1978.

Monroe was a weird recruitment. There were quotes out there about him being a Duke fan, then he visited Georgetown and committed without even visiting Duke. Curious.

Webber? Depends on whether a Michigan booster would have paid him to play for Duke and whether he would otherwise have had his hand out had he come to Duke. We just don't know.

Eh. We obviously will never know with certainty, but I highly doubt we would have been immune from the Webber problems. I'm not an expert on the subject, but my understanding is that Ed Martin -- the person who paid Webber -- was a very prominent figure in Detroit high school basketball who gave a lot of money to different Detroit basketball players moving up the ranks (partly out of generosity, and partly with the hope that he'd be reciprocated if any of them made it big), and the fact that Weber chose Michigan had little or nothing to do with the financial support he provided. In Weber's case particularly, I think Ed Martin was hoping to become a manager / business partner for Webber once he went professional and would have paid Weber under any circumstances.

In terms of sanctions, it's possible that Duke wouldn't have been hit as hard simply b/c we didn't have as much contact or familiarity with Ed Martin -- who obviously had far less ties / communications with Duke b/c we rarely recruited the Detroit area. However, I have a hard time believing that a kid who was willing to take $280K in 1992 (which at the time was an astronomical figure in the sports world considering both inflation + sports salaries in that era -- I wouldn't be surprised at all if $280K matched Coach K's salary at the time) would suddenly have been a completely different kid if he came to Duke.

Reality is that we know about some of the issues associated with Corey Maggatte and Chris Webber b/c the guys who paid them ultimately got caught up in criminal investigations with subpoena power. However, we're kidding ourselves if we don't think we've had at least a few kids who've done the wrong thing in this regard despite Coach K's best efforts to prevent that type of stuff -- and the fact that we've never gotten into any kind of serious trouble is partly good work by the stuff in conducting background checks / diligence / etc., and part luck. I mean -- I love Lance Thomas -- but common.

Eh. We obviously will never know with certainty, but I highly doubt we would have been immune from the Webber problems. I'm not an expert on the subject, but my understanding is that Ed Martin -- the person who paid Webber -- was a very prominent figure in Detroit high school basketball who gave a lot of money to different Detroit basketball players moving up the ranks (partly out of generosity, and partly with the hope that he'd be reciprocated if any of them made it big), and the fact that Weber chose Michigan had little or nothing to do with the financial support he provided. In Weber's case particularly, I think Ed Martin was hoping to become a manager / business partner for Webber once he went professional and would have paid Weber under any circumstances.

In terms of sanctions, it's possible that Duke wouldn't have been hit as hard simply b/c we didn't have as much contact or familiarity with Ed Martin -- who obviously had far less ties / communications with Duke b/c we rarely recruited the Detroit area. However, I have a hard time believing that a kid who was willing to take $280K in 1992 (which at the time was an astronomical figure in the sports world considering both inflation + sports salaries in that era -- I wouldn't be surprised at all if $280K matched Coach K's salary at the time) would suddenly have been a completely different kid if he came to Duke.

Reality is that we know about some of the issues associated with Corey Maggatte and Chris Webber b/c the guys who paid them ultimately got caught up in criminal investigations with subpoena power. However, we're kidding ourselves if we don't think we've had at least a few kids who've done the wrong thing in this regard despite Coach K's best efforts to prevent that type of stuff -- and the fact that we've never gotten into any kind of serious trouble is partly good work by the stuff in conducting background checks / diligence / etc., and part luck. I mean -- I love Lance Thomas -- but common.

My understanding is that Martin was a big Michigan booster, had been giving money to Michigan players since the early 1980s and paid Webber after he enrolled at Michigan.

I suspect he wouldn't have paid him to play at Duke.

Then again, you can't cheat an honest man and all that and nobody put a gun to Webber's head and made him take Martin's money.

So, I think we can agree that Webber's ethical threshold was pretty low.

BTW, I have talked to Duke folks about Thomas. I can't rule out the possibility that they were spinning this because I'm a member of the media. But these are people I trust and they are quite confident that Thomas did nothing wrong other than spend too much of his family's money on tacky jewelry.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Harrison Barnes. I still remember people watching his announcement in class and the depressed mood on campus after he chose UNC. Put me off recruiting forever. I only follow it casually now. With that said, I thought Kyrie was the more important player even then, and I was right.

Remember hating missing out on Dexter Strickland at the time because he and Kyrie were teammates at St Patrick school, and really wanted Strickland because he was really good but mainly due to thinking both Strickland and Kyrie would end up at the same team in college. Similar with McDonald and Elliot Williams when they both were both coming out of Memphis.

Remember hating missing out on Dexter Strickland at the time because he and Kyrie were teammates at St Patrick school, and really wanted Strickland because he was really good but mainly due to thinking both Strickland and Kyrie would end up at the same team in college. Similar with McDonald and Elliot Williams when they both were both coming out of Memphis.
we really missed out there!:D Hahahahahahaha

we really missed out there!:D Hahahahahahaha

Yeah, we did didn't we!!! Remember that 'layup' against State? A thing of beauty.

Dexter%20Strickland%20Blown%20Layup%20gif.gif

Oh, and don't feel sorry for Dexter. He's going to be starring in a new spinoff of 'The Big Bang Theory'.

Dexter%20Strickland%20Big%20Clang%20Theory.jpg

OFC

Jared Jeffries

Yep. I was thinking about Jeffries the other day. Duke has just missed on better players--although he was pretty good--but the circumstances of his recruitment made missing on him painful and frustrating.

For those of you not familiar with his recruitment, here's a summary.

Jeffries was a 6-9 power forward in Duhon's class. K prioritized him and he had a good visit to Duke.

Like Brandon Ingram, Jeffries established an announcement date, on a Monday, at his school; he was a fall commitment.

As of the Friday before, he had told Duke that he would be coming to Duke. He was on the bus.

But Jeffries was from Bloomington, Indiana. Bob Knight worked the local angle all weekend. How can you turn down a chance to play in front of the people who raised you, who supported you when no one knew who you were, your teachers, your minister, your barber.

You get the drift.

Jeffries fell for the pitch--or found it compelling, depends on your perspective, I suppose and did a 180.

Ironically, Knight never coached Jeffries in a game. He was fired less than a year after getting Jeffries to sign. And Duke and Jeffries did cross paths, to Duke's detriment.

Jeffries went on to a journeyman career in the NBA and Duke won the 2001 title without him. But he sure would have come in handy in 2002.

Barnes, but that miss ended up being a curse to UNC (NIT year for UNC and Duke won the NC).

After seeing how much of a prima donna he became and how things turned out, I'm glad we missed on him.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT