ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS UNC- COACH K FINAL GAME IN CAMERON - OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

We seem to lack an upperclassman leader. Theo is new to the team, Baker never plays, and Moore is just laid back and wants to be one of the guys. This team cannot seem to get over the hump. We have another chance, but something needs to change for us to make a serious run.
Yeh Moore seems like a cool guy but he’s too laid back. He’s content to be one of the guys instead of being a little bit of a sob when he needs to be. This one and done bs has damaged cbb irreparably. There’s no deference to upperclassmen They’re barely there long enough to get a cup of coffee

Reactions: germantondevil
Yeh Moore seems like a cool guy but he’s too laid back. He’s content to be one of the guys instead of being a little bit of a sob when he needs to be. This one and done bs has damaged cbb irreparably. There’s no deference to upperclassmen They’re barely there long enough to get a cup of coffee
This. For those that watched the ceremony after the game, Moore was still smiling after the ceremony as they were leaving the court. Most of the others were still angry as they should be. Also, most of us still consider this a rivalry but to the players I don't think it means as much. Like KD says, they're not here long enough to know the true understanding of this "rivalry".

Last edited:
I have inside knowledge into the Duke program and they were actually going to give K not one, but TWO benches for coaching a winning program for 42 years, but took one away for the loss. Embarrassing, but that's what he gets.
Haha. I hope you are joking...if not this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Get a life. Please.
Go back to wherever you came from before you decided to grace us with your presence. No one wants to listen to a moderately impaired bully. I have a cousin that’s mentally challenged the difference between him and you is he knows when to keep his damn mouth shut

Reactions: Mac9192
Go back to wherever you came from before you decided to grace us with your presence. No one wants to listen to a moderately impaired bully. I have a cousin that’s mentally challenged the difference between him and you is he knows when to keep his damn mouth shut
God loves you. Not sure why, but he does. Hey Mac, what up dude?

Yes I was disappointed to see Moore smiling and appearing to be making jokes during the speeches. A really bad look for a captain.

Reactions: pisgah101
Back to a 2 seed with Wisconsin losing yesterday. Hopefully we make a deep run in the ACC tournament to hang onto that 2 seed.

Can’t argue, sulking Paulo taking about 30 shots while aj and kneels did nothing .
Banchero does not seem to hold it together against good teams. He shot the ball poorly...again. He gave the ball away on multiple occasions...again. During the last 10 seconds while the rest of the team was still playing, he just walked down the floor trailing the team and making no effort to stay involved.

Reading this GameDay thread makes me appreciate the DukeBlueBrotherhood forum even more (anyone that isn't there, come join!). K is the GOAT, there will never be another K in college basketball, and he deserves all of the recognition that ESPN/Duke was willing to give him. K also has total control of the Duke program and could have put his foot down to say that all of these ceremonies/speeches can wait until after the season. He did not do that, and the pressure that was put on our players was extremely high.

UNC was expected to get smashed by us, they were playing with nothing to lose. Our guys seemed very nervous, the first 5 minutes of the game we could barely dribble, guys were fumbling the ball everywhere. Our game-plan was basic, attack Manek every time down the court. It's a solid game plan, Manek can't guard his own shadow, however UNC clearly had prepared for this all week, and we never adjusted to something else. I also think if the refs make the correct call on Bacot's 3rd foul in the 1st half that the outcome of the game is totally different, but whatever, were not gonna get every call in the NCAA's either.

This Duke could win the title or could lose in the 2nd round, no doubt. However, that goes for every single team in the country, so I don't know why folks continue to knock this Duke team. We have as good of a shot as anyone at getting to the Final Four, and let's hope this loss serves as a teaching moment (much like the 2015 ACC tourney loss to ND.) College basketball will never be what it was 20-30 years ago: transfers & one-and-done stars will continue to rule the landscape. I am extremely happy though that we will have Scheyer leading us next year. Imagine if we actually hired Tommy Amaker (like the Duke administration outside of the basketball program wanted) and were trying to win with sub-par recruits. It's March and Duke has a shot to make the Final Four, this hasn't happened the past 2 years so enjoy the ride.

"We didn't play hungry today" bothered me a little. Against UNC? Can you imagine Harbaugh saying we didn't play hungry against Ohio State?
How many times this season has K said something on the lines of what you just said? They need to bring it from here on out because every team is head hunting Duke. They saw what UNC did and no one is going to have pitty on k because it’s his last couple tourney games!

So you actually think this Duke team has a shot at the final four? I’ll revisit your post if we make it there. Their ceiling IMO is the sweet 16. You don’t know which Duke team is going to show up!

Reactions: grooveholmes
Hubert smartly learned something from Duke's two UVA games. Our guards cannot stay in front of quicker guards. Watching UNCheat's two guards was like watching two Clarks dissect our defense. They were running around unimpeded free to pass under the basket or to make open shots. Shoot, on multiple occasions they isolated Banchero on a guard whom he had no chance of staying with. Smart. Cannot understand why Manek was left unguarded several times during the last 6 minutes. Reminded me over and over of the open 3 pointer UVA made at the end of the game here. I agree that we should have at least tried the zone for a while. Easier to keep the shooters covered and to keep the quick guards from penetrating so easily.

In defense of the kids, I think it was a really bad Idea to have the K celebration on the day of the UNCheat game. It detracted from the importance of the game. Should have just let the crowd acknowledge K when he walked in and left it at that. Then have a special day in Cameron AFTER the season is over and bring the former players in then. As things turned out, our young players were forced to play under the presence and scrutiny of 50 of the greatest Duke players of all time, which only enhanced the pressure on them when they were already trying to do their best in the GOAT's last home game against our most hated rival. Cameron was as loud as any UNCheat game that I attended since 1996, and I was at them all..

OFC

Time to make some noise Thursday. I feel better today, although I have avoided my UNC friend. A lot of gloating over this one.

Last edited:
Time to make some noise Thursday. I feel better today, although I have avoided my UNC friend. A lot of gloating over this one.
What gloating can they really do outside of it being K’s last game in Cameron. They seem to forget the twenty point butt whipping we gave them in Chapel hill. People are trying to tell me it’s different K won’t ever coach against us again in Cameron. Guess what he won’t ever do it again in the nose dome either but we won!
I’m more worried about the constant refrain meant by this team that happens . UNC simply played harder wanted it more.

One bright spot is that next year we will have a whole new starting 5 to gripe at

Reactions: jnastasi
Are we really winning 30 games next year? Not complaining but if everyone leaves for the league...

Banchero does not seem to hold it together against good teams. He shot the ball poorly...again. He gave the ball away on multiple occasions...again. During the last 10 seconds while the rest of the team was still playing, he just walked down the floor trailing the team and making no effort to stay involved.
Banchero did have great games against UK and Gonzaga if I remember correctly but I get your overall point. The problem with all these OAD (aside from inexperience) is that the reality is all they’re thinking about is going to the NBA and “securing the bag”. College is just a brief stopover for a lot of them.

Reactions: Devilinside
I like Moore but he is kind of a poor man's Battier or Grant Hill.
I dont see any of his skill set at NBA level. He has kind of leveled off in ACC play. He can distinguish himself in the post season. When him and AJ play well we usually win.

Last edited:
I like Moore but he is kind of a poor man's Battier or Grant Hill.
I dont see any of his skill set at NBA level.
No disrespect to Moore, but he’s a very poor version of Battier or Grant. In a perfect world, he would come back for his senior season.

Reactions: christophero
5 days later, I can finally post about the game. What a disappointing effort that was. I thought mid way thru the second half when we had a point lead we were in good shape, and I was just waiting for a 15 point run to put it out of reach. Instead we just went into full meltdown. UNC was suddenly confidently hitting everything, penetrating with ease, hitting kick out threes, and we played 1 on 5 of offense. I just don't get it.

How on earth can one of the best 3 point shooters take 5 shots in this game, and if I recall correctly only ONE in the second half? How could we not run some JJ like screens for AJ? I just don't get it?? ESPECIALLY when we were struggling to score.

I also think there was way too much drama around it being Coach's last game at Cameron which I think was a distraction for the team. I get it, it's a big deal, but maybe it should have been downplayed at the biggest rivalry in CBB and celebrated after the season.

Chris said it on another thread.....this team has a Jekyll and Hyde complex. When we are "on" we can beat anyone. When we are not, anyone, and I mean anyone can beat us. Hopefully coaching staff will use the loss as motivation for the ACC and NCAA tourneys. Can we get on a 6 game roll? I think we can.

Reactions: christophero
No disrespect to Moore, but he’s a very poor version of Battier or Grant. In a perfect world, he would come back for his senior season.
He arguably has the skill set to be a Chris Carawell type player but not the temperament

Reactions: Mac9192
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT