ADVERTISEMENT

March '17 Starting Lineup

I'll wait to see how HG is progressing before jumping in on this, BUT I'll bet Amile is starting every point of the season.
I'd venture to say that is a very strong possibility. The fact he and HG will be on the floor together we should crush it on the glass!

Reactions: Blazablickits
If this team is ever trailing late in a game (fingers crossed we never trail late) the lineup of Frank, Grayson, Luke, Jayson, Harry should be unstoppable.

Reactions: dukedevilz
If this team is ever trailing late in a game (fingers crossed we never trail late) the lineup of Frank, Grayson, Luke, Jayson, Harry should be unstoppable.
Gotta make shots and get stops, but you're right. One of those matchups will be favorable every time.

The firepower in that lineup would be ridiculous!

A great thing about Amile is that he won't need plays run for him to make an impact. My assumption is that Giles will be similar but I just don't know enough about him.

One of Bolden/Jeter will have a tough time seeing the floor in the ACC schedule without injury IMO.

A great thing about Amile is that he won't need plays run for him to make an impact. My assumption is that Giles will be similar but I just don't know enough about him.

One of Bolden/Jeter will have a tough time seeing the floor in the ACC schedule without injury IMO.
I would assume that would be Jeter (obviously we won't know until we see Bolden in a Duke uniform) but Bolden appears much more skilled offensively. Defense/rebounding I have no clue though. Amile/Giles will be our best interior defenders and rebounders, so I would think Bolden's offensive polish will mesh well with Amile/Giles.

This is a good problem to have IMO, and means we can withstand an injury to a big.

I agree that its a good problem to have in a vacuum, but hopefully egos don't get in the way and mess with chemistry.
Obviously can't speak on behalf of Bolden, but I believe Jeter seems like the type of player that is okay taking a backseat if it benefits the team. As a McDonalds All American and consensus top15 recruit, Jeter always had a great attitude on the bench and showed real emotion when cheering for others, can't be easy doing that as a 5 star recruit.

I think the lineup come march will be (barring some injury of some sort):

C - Bolden
PF - Giles
SF - Tatum
G - Allen
G - Jackson

It sounds crazy to have four freshmen. But, I think that talent, size, athleticism, and particular needs (ball handling skills at guard will keep Jackson as a starter), will get them in there.

Off the bench: 1. Amile; 2. Kennard; 3. Jones; 4. Jeter ...

I put Kennard slightly ahead of Jones based on a) shooting; b) poise and intangibles. Jones did not play with great poise a good deal of the time last year and I think he has to change a good bit to get serious PT. He could mature and be a good leader and get some serious time.

I can definitely see occasions where 3-4 of those will get in right away off the bench. Other times 2-3 will come in, depending on game flow, whether they need offense/defense or match ups.

I think all four will get PT even in big games but I think the rotation will be 7-8. I would guess Jeter will sometimes only get 3-4 minutes in March. But, I also think there will be fewer minutes for some of those players.

(All of this is based on full health of everyone, of course).

Reactions: hpnole
Youngman , that's my fav right now , switching back and forth between Amile and Bolden depending on the opponent .
I agree with youngman and show. I really don't care who starts at the 5 out of Amile and Bolden, but I hope they both see about 20-25 mpg.

I think the lineup come march will be (barring some injury of some sort):

C - Bolden
PF - Giles
SF - Tatum
G - Allen
G - Jackson

It sounds crazy to have four freshmen. But, I think that talent, size, athleticism, and particular needs (ball handling skills at guard will keep Jackson as a starter), will get them in there.

Off the bench: 1. Amile; 2. Kennard; 3. Jones; 4. Jeter ...

I put Kennard slightly ahead of Jones based on a) shooting; b) poise and intangibles. Jones did not play with great poise a good deal of the time last year and I think he has to change a good bit to get serious PT. He could mature and be a good leader and get some serious time.

I can definitely see occasions where 3-4 of those will get in right away off the bench. Other times 2-3 will come in, depending on game flow, whether they need offense/defense or match ups.

I think all four will get PT even in big games but I think the rotation will be 7-8. I would guess Jeter will sometimes only get 3-4 minutes in March. But, I also think there will be fewer minutes for some of those players.

(All of this is based on full health of everyone, of course).

I think that's it also . And agreeing with young man barring injury or progress set back those will start but not necessarily finish the game or get the most minutes. Amile will get is and so will Matt,Luke and Chase may rise up. OFC

Youngman , that's my fav right now , switching back and forth between Amile and Bolden depending on the opponent .

Agreed. Matchups will often dictate how K will use them. There certainly will be times where Amile matches up better with certain players, lineups.

I know there are always little adjustments, but I prefer it when our starting lineup and initial substitutions are consistent and we force the other team to try to match up with us. Zoubek is one of the best examples of that to me: his health and development meant his PT fluctuated greatly for 3 years according to matchups, but then by his senior year it didn't matter who the other team had out there.

Reactions: dukehokie
I know there are always little adjustments, but I prefer it when our starting lineup and initial substitutions are consistent and we force the other team to try to match up with us. Zoubek is one of the best examples of that to me: his health and development meant his PT fluctuated greatly for 3 years according to matchups, but then by his senior year it didn't matter who the other team had out there.

This is what I'm thinking. Every team goes through a major change at least once in a season, but I would love for this team to not have to change who they want to be to be successful. Forget matching up against anyone, they have to match up against Duke next year.

Reactions: Duke It Out
This is what I'm thinking. Every team goes through a major change at least once in a season, but I would love for this team to not have to change who they want to be to be successful. Forget matching up against anyone, they have to match up against Duke next year.
I agree with Duke and Dattier. It typically takes a team identity and talent to constantly dictate what you want to do to another team. Some duke years we've had more identity than talent or even vice versa. Next year we definitely have the talent, it's how long it takes the team to find its identity? So many weapons, so many options, not enough minutes to do everything.

Would love to see duke get back to the times they ran teams off the court. Frank, grayson, tatum, luke can all get a rebound and go coast to coast. But even before the running is the D. I would love to see duke also get back to creating a lot of live ball turnovers.

Would love to see duke get back to the times they ran teams off the court. Frank, grayson, tatum, luke can all get a rebound and go coast to coast. But even before the running is the D. I would love to see duke also get back to creating a lot of live ball turnovers.
If they if they don't run teams off the court this year, then I don't know when it will ever happen again. You know we can score points, the question is how good of a perimeter defense are we going to be. I think we will defend the post better than most years.

To run well, you gotta create turnovers and get defensive boards. And by run well I mean make it worth it. This year's Phoenix Suns could run with anybody but couldn't stop 5 guys with 12 guys in the floor.

The best Duke offenses ran off boards, steals and blocks. I'm like @Get Nasty, I wanna see that again.

Reactions: Showenuff
When was the last time we played lockdown D on the perimeter, picking up the ball at half court and overplaying all passing lanes?

I can't think of a team this decade to play like that. Am I missing a year?

With the new rules, it is just really hard to play that way consistently. But this Duke does have quality depth.

Reactions: blazablickits33
I just checked on THR to see who Gary-7 was going to start but I couldn't find anything, and sorry but I didn't check what Dsouthr thought.

But I think being a starter verses a player getting 20 to 25 minutes a game this upcoming season will not be that important as in the past.

You know, I was thinking... Grayson is going to take more control at PG next year. He created a lot of his own shots off the dribble, and he led the team in assists. He's not going to have to dominate the shots like he had to at times this year. He's going to be passing more.

Yea, he won't score as much this season. But he'll win more.

I think that's going to cut into Frank's minutes.

I think that's going to cut into Frank's minutes.

Grayson, Matt, Luke and Frank will all be competing for the same spots. If Grayson is playing lead guard, Frank will be coming off the bench. If Frank proves to be a viable option to help lead the team, he'll share those minutes with Grayson.

But I agree, I think Grayson and Luke will get first crack at the ball handling responsibilities.

I'm never using the phrase point guard again by the way.

Reactions: Dattier
I think Amile will outplay Bolden all year. Bolden will be better soon enough, but not just yet.

I think the guard pairings/rotation will be less based on point guard/shooting guard and more based on who plays better together, defense, and maybe having more offense out of the guard position when less scoring minded forwards are in. Another factor will be whether Tatum spends any time at the 4. If not, there will be about 90 minutes/game for the guards. If he does, there are about 100 minutes a game for the 4 guards.

I think the guard pairings/rotation will be less based on point guard/shooting guard and more based on who plays better together, defense, and maybe having more offense out of the guard position when less scoring minded forwards are in. Another factor will be whether Tatum spends any time at the 4. If not, there will be about 90 minutes/game for the guards. If he does, there are about 100 minutes a game for the 4 guards.
Good post. As for Jayson at the 4, it will happen frequently. It'll have more to do w/ 3 guards earning the right to be on the floor at once than any reflection on our other options at the 4. Harry, Amile, and Jayson will all rotate at the "4."

A little earlier I posted about liking it when our rotation is set and the other team adjusts to us, rather than the other way around. If a player's PT depends on chemistry w/ teammates, that's sort of like when we adjust our line-up for the opponent, in a way. Blending with others is even an individual skill and part of a guy's overall skill set, I'd say.

Is Frank already good enough to start as a freshman without relying on a "match-up"/"niche" type thing like being our best option for filling a need? I see a lot of his skills overlapping with Grayson, and everything else being equal, I don't seeing him starting ahead of Luke or Matt unless he's practically on Grayson's level already.

Franks biggest advantage will be his ability to defend other teams pgs, something grayson matt and luke struggle with.

I just hope they are good enough this year to sweep both the tarholes and ND. Seems like they have had more trouble with ND in the last couple of years than the holes.

Agreed.

Ultimately, we really don't know how a kid will adjust from HS to college. If Jackson adjusts based on his talent - I think his athleticism and scoring will get him into the starting lineup by the end of the year or garner a ton of minutes. He could be a very good defender as well as scoring threat (Jones is a good defender but his offense has been too sketchy).

Somebody very talented isn't going to get the minutes they normally would. I can't imagine Luke not getting some decent burn.

Somebody very talented isn't going to get the minutes they normally would. I can't imagine Luke not getting some decent burn.

More than likely it'll be a younger player. But yeah, somebody isn't going to get consistent playing time who otherwise would. Practices are going to be incredible this season.

Reactions: skysdad
More than likely it'll be a younger player. But yeah, somebody isn't going to get consistent playing time who otherwise would. Practices are going to be incredible this season.

I would love to see some intense Duke practices. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT