ADVERTISEMENT

Duke baseball -- 2024 season

ConorONeill

Cameron Crazy
Staff
Aug 13, 2021
Going to operate this in a lot of the same ways as last year, if you'll recall ... Will have stories and coverage of Duke's baseball team in this thread. It'll be spotty at times, given the timing of basketball season and other responsibilities, but I'll do what I can to get Duke's baseball team covered.

Going to start with a feature, as the season is two days away: On the return of Jonathan Santucci.

Going to operate this in a lot of the same ways as last year, if you'll recall ... Will have stories and coverage of Duke's baseball team in this thread. It'll be spotty at times, given the timing of basketball season and other responsibilities, but I'll do what I can to get Duke's baseball team covered.

Going to start with a feature, as the season is two days away: On the return of Jonathan Santucci.
We appreciate it greatly Conor!!

OFC

Reactions: ConorONeill
I'm just happy to be talking about baseball again. When I was younger (or my children were younger) the day when pitchers and catchers reported in the majors was a big deal.

I'm just happy to be talking about baseball again. When I was younger (or my children were younger) the day when pitchers and catchers reported in the majors was a big deal.
It's still a big deal, at least to us really OFs. IMO it's the only sport worth watching any more.
OFC

Reactions: jeffrey236
Conor: If you get a chance, maybe you could tell me what was behind the decision to play all home games at Jack Coombs this year (a move I applaud). And, a picture or two of the stadium would be very nice. It must look a whole lot different than it did in 1966!
OFC
A couple of main factors: One, I think there were some scheduling issues with the Bulls that would've required a bit more jumping through hoops. Just not sure what's different about the schedule this year than years past.

And two, I think there was a thought of, "we're going to play all of our home games at Coombs after the renovation, so why not get a head start on that and play them all there this year?"

I'll see what I can do as far as a picture next time I'm out there.

A couple of main factors: One, I think there were some scheduling issues with the Bulls that would've required a bit more jumping through hoops. Just not sure what's different about the schedule this year than years past.

And two, I think there was a thought of, "we're going to play all of our home games at Coombs after the renovation, so why not get a head start on that and play them all there this year?"

I'll see what I can do as far as a picture next time I'm out there.
Thanks.
OFC

Reactions: ConorONeill
Something of a reminder ... Duke's first mid-week game is today against Liberty, and is the Blue Devils' home opener. Liberty has had nice program for several years, taking off by hiring Scott Jackson from UNC.

Regardless of opponent's talent level: Mid-week games are fluky and weird. Wake Forest, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State all lost yesterday, to UNCG, Dayton and Austin Peay. I tend to think the only time mid-week games matter in college baseball is in April and May, when bubble teams need to find some momentum. Otherwise, ACC teams are going to play 30 league games and build resumes through those games.

Just something to keep in mind today (and beyond).

Reactions: Willcampbell
Sweep of Northwestern and undefeated,
Softball nationally ranked with only loss to champion Oklahoma.
Men's lacrosse undefeated.

Thank the Lord for Spring.

And no one rushed the field after the Northwestern demolition today, 20-9.

OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
17-0 over Davidson today, a respectable opponent. If I were Akron, this weekend's foe, I would immediately expose myself to Covid.
OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
I would have liked to seen this series will be out of town. Hopefully they show it on accn
Each game of the Wake series will be ACCN Extra, so it's available via streaming.

Always feels impossible to get baseball games on the regular network before basketball ends.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Can't say this is surprising:

Duke's Jonathan Santucci was named the ACC's pitcher of the week. Junior lefty had a career-high 14 strikeouts, allowed 1 hit and no walks in six innings against Akron on Friday.

Last edited:
Somewhat off topic, but softball team has delivered seven straight shutouts. Anyone know what the record is?
OFC

Not thrilled losing to Rider, since I grew up about five miles from their campus. Better luck today, hopefully.
OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT