ADVERTISEMENT

March '17 Starting Lineup

HeLooks2MuchLikeDave

Cameron Crazy
Dec 1, 2010
Now that we know our roster for next year, who wants to take a stab at our starting lineup next March?

I know this topic has been discussed a bunch but I am curious who you think Coach will entrust at the end of the year.

I think you have to pencil in Allen, Tatum, and Giles. Jefferson and Jackson would probably be the other prohibitive favorites. But I can see a scenario where we go with Jeter or Bolden to have more of a traditional starting lineup with Amile being the glue/energy big off the bench--and he is mature enough to handle that role despite his 5th year status. I can also see Frank having difficulty giving us what we need out of a primary ball handler and using him in the second unit to generate offense for himself and others who aren't as good as creating (like Jones). I can see Luke making a huge leap this offseason and his scoring ability and spacing might make him tempting to pair with Allen in the backcourt. And of course Matt Jones is a senior, likely a captain, and he may have enough of K's trust to be a nominal starter. At least, you can't count it out.

I think having Jackson, Allen, Tatum and Giles on the floor together might be too much overlap of similar skill sets so I can see Coach breaking them up in different units to give us a more cohesive game.

Looking forward to getting this thing started!

My guess is one of the following but I'm not sure which one...

Jackson, Allen, Tatum, Giles, Jefferson
Allen, Jones, Tatum, Giles, Jefferson

Reactions: DukeDenver
with this team and pieces, Coach K should use the USA Bball approach and just cycle in guys

If Matt jones starts I'll be shocked
If he trimmed 20 lbs. and got his legs back under him, he'd be starter material IMO. I honestly don't know what's been holding him back, but I refuse to assume he isn't trying. Many things could explain his apparent drop-off. I just hope he reaches his full potential, which to me is starter's minutes.

Going to be hard to juggle all those players with only 200 minutes; but this is a good problem to have. Here's my guess on minutes during a competitive game:

Jackson - 25
Allen - 32
Tatum - 32
Giles - 30
Jefferson - 23

Kennard - 17
Jones - 18
Jeter - 8
Bolden - 15

I know K has a reputation for using tighter rotations, but he can adapt if he has the personnel, and I believe this upcoming year is one in which he'll want to utilize a strong bench.

If he trimmed 20 lbs. and got his legs back under him, he'd be starter material IMO. I honestly don't know what's been holding him back, but I refuse to assume he isn't trying. Many things could explain his apparent drop-off. I just hope he reaches his full potential, which to me is starter's minutes.

Oh no I think he tries but we have three guards that are at least a level above him

Matt's strength is also his weakness. He can handle the point, the 2 and the 3, but isn't great at any of them. He is a great role player, glue guy, saves you in a pinch guy, but I don't think he is good enough at any one position to lock down that spot if there are good alternatives. He sees major minutes at any given position if there is nobody capable of being a starter there. This requires more of him than he can give unless the other 4 spots are good enough so that him holding down the fort is all we need. If not, what he can't do becomes more of a noticeable weakness, which is not his fault.

Reactions: harttochesson
IMO, and this is obviously just my opinion, there's no way Amile doesn't start all season, and Matt will start early on and I think that's ok. My big thing is that Matt no longer should be playing 32+ minutes a game. We just have too many options and too many possibilities for anyone to be on the floor that long. I don't see anyone averaging more than 31 mpg.

Come March:
Jackson, Allen, Tatum, Jefferson, Giles

I didn't put any numbers beside anything. ;) Amile will guard who he needs to guard on the interior. It behooves Duke to not have to totally rely on Harry or Amile to exclusively have to guard centers. Jeter and Bolden rotating in will be crucial. We shouldn't have to go platoon, but if we do, I almost wouldn't be surprised to see Bolden start over Harry so that you constantly have a rim protector (Bolden/Jeter) and a stretch type forward (Harry/Amile) at all times. But ultimately in March, you play your best players to start games and I feel Jackson, Allen, Tatum, Giles and Jefferson will prove to be our best. Should Luke find a consistent stroke, he may stay ahead of Jackson.

I think we will see 3-5 different starting lineups, too difficult to figure.

Crunch time when we have the lead....Grayson, Matt, Jayson, Amile, Harry

Crunch time when we are trailing....Frank Grayson Luke Jayson Harry

Bolden still will play 20 min a game, not sure about end of games though.

Reactions: tanisus
End of season starters....
Frank, Grayson, Tatum, Giles, Amile

End of games when it's close
Frank, Grayson, Luke, Tatum, Giles.

I also think this is how it is all year unless Frank isn't ready in that case Luke starts or Bolden blows up and we move Amile to 6th man OR we just play small with Tatum at the 4.. The good thing is we have multiple options of great players

I didn't put any numbers beside anything. ;) Amile will guard who he needs to guard on the interior. It behooves Duke to not have to totally rely on Harry or Amile to exclusively have to guard centers. Jeter and Bolden rotating in will be crucial. We shouldn't have to go platoon, but if we do, I almost wouldn't be surprised to see Bolden start over Harry so that you constantly have a rim protector (Bolden/Jeter) and a stretch type forward (Harry/Amile) at all times. But ultimately in March, you play your best players to start games and I feel Jackson, Allen, Tatum, Giles and Jefferson will prove to be our best. Should Luke find a consistent stroke, he may stay ahead of Jackson.
Luke has an excellent opportunity this year to fit in perfectly with the talent around him His shot and creative ability should be on full display- itll be impossible to leave him and if you do he should be consistent enough this year to make you pay. If you charge at him he can go buy you and set others up.

Reactions: dukehokie
I think there are four you can write in pen in Allen, Tatum, Giles, and Amile. Those guys will start and play a lot. Jones will begin the year as the starter, and it will evolve from there depending on things, like how ready Jackson is to play PG.

I'm eliminating you people left and right from my circle of trust. Holy mackerel, do these predictions amount to a bunch of hogwash.

Matt and Amile and Luke are going to be way bigger than most people here seem to understand.

Grayson is the only lock to start. Luke, Jason, Matt, and Frank could all fill the role of 6th man in the backcourt. Amile could also come off the bench, and Harry's health is a question mark for the time being. Chase and Marques make 9 rotation players. Javin, Vrank, Obi, and Jack are longshots to get much burn at all.

I got no idea other than Grayson. It could be a combo of 9 other players . It just depends on who is productive. Love to be at a Duke practice. Hope we stay healthy. OFC

I'm eliminating you people left and right from my circle of trust. Holy mackerel, do these predictions amount to a bunch of hogwash.

Matt and Amile and Luke are going to be way bigger than most people here seem to understand.

Grayson is the only lock to start. Luke, Jason, Matt, and Frank could all fill the role of 6th man in the backcourt. Amile could also come off the bench, and Harry's health is a question mark for the time being. Chase and Marques make 9 rotation players. Javin, Vrank, Obi, and Jack are longshots to get much burn at all.

Now YOU sound like Jim! :D Who do you see starting as of March, sir? As that is the subject of this thread.

Reactions: Dattier
Now YOU sound like Jim! :D Who do you see starting as of March, sir? As that is the subject of this thread.
lol
I'll take this blind guess: Grayson, Harry, Amile, Luke, and Jason start. Frank and Matt play plenty off the bench. At least one of Chase and Marques will also play plenty off the bench, and maybe both, though I think it is more likely we see one of them have minutes drop in end-game and match-up situations. We will play Jason at the 4 some, and both Harry and Amile will play the 5 at times, so we won't always have 2 true post players out there. I do not see so consistent a 2X2 post rotation like in the 2010 championship season.

Options: Luke did well in a 6th man position this year (if he wasn't starting). Maybe he'll come off the bench again b/c Frank is our best PG option and we want him setting the tone, or maybe we want Matt's leadership and steadiness to set the tone. I do not think Matt and Amile both start, as both of them depend too much on others to create their offense. They will play together plenty, particularly in crunch time, but starting just one of them means we have a 4th option on the floor at the beginning who can create his own shot, whether that's Luke or Frank. A cool thing about our options is that in Matt, Amile, and Luke, we have 3 guys who have already shown comfort in a 6th man role at Duke. Should Chase or Marques show starter readiness, they are more 5s than 4s, and one of them could start, w/ Amile comfortable subbing in at either the 4 or the 5.

Interesting discussion, such a wealth of options, few obvious answers. The categories that come to mind are beginning of the year versus later in the season, the big lineup versus small ball and start of game versus end-of-game scenarios. The only for sure starters in all those situations, imo, are Allen and Jackson at sg and pg, respectively. Bolden's questionable motor keeps him on the bench at the start of the season, but his Jah-like size and wingspan put him in the starting lineup by mid-season. Given his unselfish play, leadership ability and deft shooting touch, Kennard may start during small ball scenarios. To say that this team is loaded is a tremendous under statement.

Reactions: dukehokie
One nice thing about Bolden, that could put him in end of game sits if he is reliable on D, is his foul shooting. 80% last year. Really nice to have a rebounder who can hit FTs at the end of the game. We shall see.

Reactions: bob_duke_jd
As stated, Boldens FT shooting could play huge at the end of games. Amile will never sniff 80% (though he has improved each year) and I project Giles in the high 60's low 70's at best.

The only person hurt by Bolden coming could very well be Jeter. We all know K likes to be at an 8 man rotation, 7 really come tournament time. With everyone healthy, Jeter may only be getting 5minutes in bigger games towards the end of the year. His time will come though, as long as he keeps working.

Barring injuries or surprise flops, this team should be so versatile. If an improved Jeter or Bolden are our 5th option on offense, look out. Even playing Matt and Amile at the same time for D is not bad. Dattier, I get what you said about them in at the same time and not being able to create for themselves, but it is not like they are like Lance and Big Z on offense. Heck, Matt shot over 40% from 3 last year and Amile was averaging over 11 pts/game with extreme efficiency. Matt struggled when he had to do too much on offense because of last year's roster. It is not like one is a weak 4th option and the other is a 5th option on offense. I see both as good 4th options which is even tougher for opponents to deal with since Duke should be able to keep strong 1st, 2nd, and 3rd options on the floor with them.

Barring injuries or surprise flops, this team should be so versatile. If an improved Jeter or Bolden are our 5th option on offense, look out. Even playing Matt and Amile at the same time for D is not bad. Dattier, I get what you said about them in at the same time and not being able to create for themselves, but it is not like they are like Lance and Big Z on offense. Heck, Matt shot over 40% from 3 last year and Amile was averaging over 11 pts/game with extreme efficiency. Matt struggled when he had to do too much on offense because of last year's roster. It is not like one is a weak 4th option and the other is a 5th option on offense. I see both as good 4th options which is even tougher for opponents to deal with since Duke should be able to keep strong 1st, 2nd, and 3rd options on the floor with them.
Oh, don't get me wrong. The nature of the thread means I led with the starters, and I don't think both of them will start by the end of the season, as much as b/c they're both capable of adapting their role as anything else, but they'll play together plenty. I agree w/ your addition/revision to what I said earlier.

Interesting discussion, such a wealth of options, few obvious answers. The categories that come to mind are beginning of the year versus later in the season, the big lineup versus small ball and start of game versus end-of-game scenarios. The only for sure starters in all those situations, imo, are Allen and Jackson at sg and pg, respectively. Bolden's questionable motor keeps him on the bench at the start of the season, but his Jah-like size and wingspan put him in the starting lineup by mid-season. Given his unselfish play, leadership ability and deft shooting touch, Kennard may start during small ball scenarios. To say that this team is loaded is a tremendous under statement.
I can see Frank starting, but considering all 3 of Grayson, Matt, and Luke are back -- the guys who often assumed PG duties last year despite being less natural at the position than our one true PG -- I can't see him as either a lock to start or in the top 2 of guys who are most likely to start. He's really a combo guard, not a pure point who fills our most dire need or something. I'd say Jason Tatum is our second most likely starter, and Harry only third b/c of questions about his health.

The more I think about this the more it might make sense for Luke to start the whole time. He just opens everything up for JT and Grayson to slash. He's also a very underrated passer. Think he complements the rest of the group so well.

The more I think about this the more it might make sense for Luke to start the whole time. He just opens everything up for JT and Grayson to slash. He's also a very underrated passer. Think he complements the rest of the group so well.
Hard to know until we see Frank. Me feels he'll be a rim wrecker.

Hard to know until we see Frank. Me feels he'll be a rim wrecker.
I agree. I like him off the bench bc I think it A- gives Luke early reps to get going and B- I see him as a very similar player to Grayson so why not substitute one for the other and not allow the other team to even have a chance at a breather.

Grayson Jayson and a 100% healthy Harry are locks to start IMO.

The other 2 starters will be whoever plays the best defense day in day out. My guess would be Amile for sure, take your pick with the 5th.

...I see him as a very similar player to Grayson so why not substitute one for the other and not allow the other team to even have a chance at a breather.
I get the logic, but K doesn't use that type of position or style litmus test. I'd point to Demarcus Nelson and Gerald Henderson in the '08 starting line-up as an example of 2 similar slashers beside each other. Grayson will start. If Frank earns it, he will, too.

I get the logic, but K doesn't use that type of position or style litmus test. I'd point to Demarcus Nelson and Gerald Henderson in the '08 starting line-up as an example of 2 similar slashers beside each other. Grayson will start. If Frank earns it, he will, too.
Unfortunately that 2008 team had few alternative options. This team has a plethora of them. I wouldn't be surprised to see Frank start by any means, but would love him coming in as the first guard off the bench.

I'll wait to see how HG is progressing before jumping in on this, BUT I'll bet Amile is starting every point of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT