ADVERTISEMENT

March '17 Starting Lineup

One nice thing about Bolden, that could put him in end of game sits if he is reliable on D, is his foul shooting. 80% last year. Really nice to have a rebounder who can hit FTs at the end of the game. We shall see.
I haven't figured out how so few think Bolden will not play big minutes. As hard as he was recruited, I really thought he might be a starter . Guess it will depend on how he plays once the season starts. Didn't realize that he was that good of a FT shooter.. That has to be a plus , since a lot of big men can't shoot FTs worth a damn.

I haven't figured out how so few think Bolden will not play big minutes. As hard as he was recruited, I really thought he might be a starter . Guess it will depend on how he plays once the season starts. Didn't realize that he was that good of a FT shooter.. That has to be a plus , since a lot of big men can't shoot FTs worth a damn.

He's got conditioning and footwork time to put in. I think he will be a major contributor by season's end, but I think he'll be very freshman-like to start, which is perfectly fine.

There are 2 players that I cannot imagine not starting basically all year - Grayson and Amile. Grayson is a proven star that has shown an ability to adapt his game to whatever we need it to be. I think him playing more PG this year is a certainty/must and means that Frank's minutes will be limited. Not to take anything away from Frank, but if you could only pick him or Grayson to be on your team for this year, who would you pick? Everyone would take Grayson. The argument for Frank is he is the closest thing to a PG on the team. In 2015 we played with 2 PGs (Cook and Tyus) because they were 2 of the better players on that team. For that reason, I think K goes with the best unit, not the one with a true PG. This means Grayson assumes the role of "PG" but we put the best unit on the floor with almost no eye on position fits. I say almost because there are some combos that clearly wouldn't work.
Amile is the Quinn Cook of this team as far as leadership. He will play lock down defense, provide the leadership that the young team will need, rebound, and score trash points. His efficiency means he doesn't need to ever really try to create his own shot. He'll score around 10 points a game, mostly off put backs on the offensive glass. Having seen very little of Bolden, I'm sure he is certainly a better pro prospect than Amile - but in my mind Amile coming back healthy is better for the success of this year's team than Grayson coming back. Amile's FG% the last 3 years have been >60% every year - and a relatively horrendous 54% as a frosh. We should all be HOPING Amile starts all year because it means he is healthy - and when he's healthy he is SO important to this team.
The next starter is Jayson. His skill set is so tough to defend against and he is going to be great on this team.
If Harry Giles is healthy, he's next.
The last spot I think will evolve. Matt or Luke will probably be the guy early in the season because of experience. Both will be counted on to play great defense and hit 3s.
Bolden>Amile? I don't think so. Again, Bolden will probably be a better pro. But why do we need Bolden's offensive game on the floor with Grayson/Tatum/Giles/another shooter? We don't. I think the most used 4/5 combos this year are Giles/Amile, Amile/Bolden, Giles/Bolden - in that order. Work Jeter in some (limited) action and that's about it.
The rest has to be compete speculation based on how much we think a player will develop. Will Frank develop enough to pass Matt/Luke? I don't know. What I am pretty comfortable saying though is Grayson, Amile, Jayson, and Harry (if all are healthy) look like the 4 guys who will get the most minutes and will all be starters all year. I'd like to see Frank be the 5th only because it means he is better than 2 guys who I really like and who can really play in Matt and Luke. Matt, Luke, and Frank will take up the 1,2,3 minutes that aren't played by Grayson and Jayson. With 120 minutes there and Grayson and Tatum taking around 30 each per game, that leaves 20 minutes each for the other 3 if spread evenly (which they won't be). But enough to go around.

Chase looked a lot stronger in his recent pictures. A stronger, more confident Jeter could have something to say about who gets minutes at the 4/5. Any word out of workouts/pickup games on who is standing out?

Bolden is going to be worth the wait.

Jack White gets on campus today.

Frank is going to be good. He and Grayson are going to be sharing ball handling responsibilities.

Harry is progressing nicely and should be totally ready by mid November. His explosiveness is coming back.

Chase has gotten stronger and his confidence is really high. Remember last year he was 17 going on 18 and still learning his body. Aside from strength, Coach Will's group has had him hammering the coordination, core and balance. He's going to look like a different player this year.

Luke is going to be the same Luke, just hoping for more offensive consistency.

Amile has been working with the guards almost exclusively. If he's ever going to use the pick and pop or add a mid range jumper it'll be this season.

Justin Robinson has been brushing up on his ukelele skills.

Everything else is par for the course. Scheyer and Nate haven't been pushing too hard with the guys with K gone. They have their set workouts. That's about it.

Reactions: Dattier
Bolden is going to be worth the wait.

Jack White gets on campus today.

Frank is going to be good. He and Grayson are going to be sharing ball handling responsibilities.

Harry is progressing nicely and should be totally ready by mid November. His explosiveness is coming back.

Chase has gotten stronger and his confidence is really high. Remember last year he was 17 going on 18 and still learning his body. Aside from strength, Coach Will's group has had him hammering the coordination, core and balance. He's going to look like a different player this year.

Luke is going to be the same Luke, just hoping for more offensive consistency.

Amile has been working with the guards almost exclusively. If he's ever going to use the pick and pop or add a mid range jumper it'll be this season.

Justin Robinson has been brushing up on his ukelele skills.

Everything else is par for the course. Scheyer and Nate haven't been pushing too hard with the guys with K gone. They have their set workouts. That's about it.

It's going to be something special to see. Just think if all live up to expectations it would be just one giant wave after another wiping out everyone in the way. Imagine no matter who is on the floor the guys coming in are not what you want to see. OFC

It's going to be something special to see. Just think if all live up to expectations it would be just one giant wave after another wiping out everyone in the way. Imagine no matter who is on the floor the guys coming in are not what you want to see. OFC

I hope so. The big X factor here is that they are 18-20 year old kids and that breeds inconsistency at times. The nice thing is that there are no huge egos on this squad that would derail chemistry.

I know Harry isn't a true center at the pro level and he has a face-up game and can handle. How is his range? It sounds like that's something Amile has been working on. Based on current ability, not true position, I expect Amile and Harry to start. What they might give up in size to the truest of centers, it looks like we may be countering that with their own versatility, posting one, then the other within the same possession, allowing the other to look for a shot or to create from outside the lane.

I know Harry isn't a true center at the pro level and he has a face-up game and can handle. How is his range? It sounds like that's something Amile has been working on. Based on current ability, not true position, I expect Amile and Harry to start. What they might give up in size to the truest of centers, it looks like we may be countering that with their own versatility, posting one, then the other within the same possession, allowing the other to look for a shot or to create from outside the lane.

Harry will play baseline opposite Amile, but can step out and play face up. He'll get his chances too, because we'll see Amile holding the low position much like last season before his injury. In terms of a jumper, he'll take a few but it's not a consistent part of his game. The thing with Harry is that he has a lot of tools at his disposal but they aren't refined.

Reactions: Dattier
Starting lineup vs Kansas?
I'm going with Grayson, Matt, Tatum, Jefferson, and Bolden.
Luke and Frank first off bench.
Jeter getting some meaningful minutes.

Man, I'm looking forward to that game!

Starting lineup vs Kansas?
I'm going with Grayson, Matt, Tatum, Jefferson, and Bolden.
Luke and Frank first off bench.
Jeter getting some meaningful minutes.

Man, I'm looking forward to that game!
I think I only substitute Luke in for Matt in your lineup there. I think he has earned that roll already.

I guess I'm one of the few that like Matt to start. I like his defense and basketball IQ. I think Luke gives us that offensive punch coming in off the bench. I still think Luke gets more minutes than Matt, but Matt just gives us that steadiness to start the game.

I bet we didn't expect to see

Chase
Amile
Matt
Luke
Grayson

when we created this thread huh? Damn injuries.

When the three freshmen come back, Matt Jones needs to be relegated to the same role Paulus took on in '09 during his senior year. Even though Paulus played serious minutes his first three years, Coach K was smart and bold enough to realize that he was killing the team by taking on a major role. Jones just does not have the offensive game to be given key minutes at the expense of Kennard, Jackson and Tatum. He is limited on offense beyond a catch-and-shoot role from the perimeter. He has no offensive creativity and can't drive past his man in one-on-one situations. Even worse, instead of having guards that can penetrate into the lane and kick it to the open shooters the offense becomes stagnant with him in there. Still, if any of our top three guards get hurt or get into foul trouble Jones will be back seeing prime minutes. I don't think he's a bad guy, he just shouldn't be seeing 35 mins per game. This should be the starting lineup for the first round of the tournament:

G: Jackson
G: Allen
G: Kennard
F: Tatum
F: Giles

Off the bench in order: Bolden, Jefferson, Jeter, Jones

Game situations a match ups will play a hand as to who is on the court at times. OFC

Game situations a match ups will play a hand as to who is on the court at times. OFC

Very true. Also minutes restrictions. Some of the guys will be on minute restrictions for a while if not all season. If they're needed to end games, they may not start the beginning of games. For instance, I don't know that Harry will actually start many games this season. He'll certainly be in at the end though.

Reactions: skysdad
Assuming everyone is healthy, I think Tatum and Amile are locks. I think Grayson and Giles are next in line (and again assuming they are both healthy, I don't see how they wouldn't start). That leaves Luke and Matt fighting over the last spot. Kennard is playing like a first team All-ACC but Coach may value Jones' defense with all that scoring in the starting lineup.

At this point in the season, I don't see Frank or Marques locking down a starting spot in March with everyone healthy.

Reactions: skysdad
No way in hell kennard should have to battle jones for a starting spot what so ever..looks good to future recruits seeing jones get 35 min pg.He can't run the point .He can't drive and create.lately he can't hit the dang rim with wide open shots.his passing is suspect at times and always makes the shooter have to adjust..He doesn't offer us anything on the boards.i have no idea and I have no idea how the hell hes even in the rotation much less stating .i don't get it..His defense isn't even that great to me ..I'll sacrifice a couple steals a game for that other stuff I just wrote any day. LolIf anybody's battling Jones it's Jackson ..and Jackson is way better then jones at PG..doesnt make sense to me..

Last edited:
my gameplan against us would be to leave him wide open the entire game .and make the spacing in my favor..clogging up the rest the best I can...lol give me a better one..I'm sure he's a nice guy and offers senior leadership, but he can do that off the bench .that shouldn't be the standard for playing time at duke.it hasn't.why is it now..we sacrifice so much with him on the court..it's mind blowing..i mean you can only do so much to hide a player imo..I mean taking the ball up the floor then going to hide in the corner or whatever then air balling a 3 sooner or later is gonna get exploited with people eating up the passing lanes and spacing while giving him no respect, therefore clogging up spacing for other players to operate.K needs to get it through his head were better off with no pg then him running it imo Jackson And Allen are much better options if all were gonna ask our pg to do is take the ball up the court especially!! and both offer way more...can anybody imagine if we had lonzo ball!!! Omg!!

Last edited:
Starting 5 should be
Allen
Kennard
Jefferson
Tatum
Giles/Jackson depending health/size
Bench- Bolden Jones Jeter

No way in hell kennard should have to battle jones for a starting spot what so ever..looks good to future recruits seeing jones get 35 min pg.He can't run the point .He can't drive and create.lately he can't hit the dang rim with wide open shots.his passing is suspect at times and always makes the shooter have to adjust..He doesn't offer us anything on the boards.i have no idea and I have no idea how the hell hes even in the rotation much less stating .i don't get it..His defense isn't even that great to me ..I'll sacrifice a couple steals a game for that other stuff I just wrote any day. LolIf anybody's battling Jones it's Jackson ..and Jackson is way better then jones at PG..doesnt make sense to me..
Do me a favor, please move on from the Matt Jones stuff. We get it, you don't have much use for him. It has been noted. Move on please.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT