ADVERTISEMENT

Mackenzie Mgbako

Hoping to lock him up and one other wing. Maybe Buzelis or a reclass from Naas Cunningham

It's hard to complain when we are signing all these five star players, but it does seem that Jon is following K's relatively recent strategy of loading up on the highest level of OAD talent and having huge turnover year after year. I was kinda hoping for a blend of OAD and 3-4 year guys. Again, hard to complain though.

I suppose the new roster turnover is fun, but it is also draining and probably makes things more stressful for the fans. There are just so many unknowns every year. But this is the path they have chosen. It got us to the final four, but if we had to play Gonzaga our season may have ended earlier. Nice to catch that break. I was very happy with this season, but the next 2 years may not be the time to field our youngest team ever. 2-3 transfers are a must for us if guys don't come back.

Last edited:
You can watch for free on computer at usabasketball.com . It's usually televised on Bally Sports, formerly SportsSouth, on tape Sunday afternoon after the Friday game. I have not checked if that's the case this year

Reactions: sheyduke
I think Scheyer has mixed in two multi year bigs in Reeves and Steward . A multi year sg in Schutts, multi year pg in Blake’s ( maybe, transfer is always possible ), possible multi year combo in McCain .
I think he’s looking hard but we have to remember it’s all going to depend how much the bench is utilized with all the star power here if multi year players are willing to wait. This is where the portal comes into play.

We want to sign as many 5 stars as we can to assure, we never get a decent transfer or non freshman starter again. :) I kid; can't complain about signing 5 stars. But hit the portal as well.
That 2015 team was possibly the mix you need of half elite recruits and half seasoned veterans with cook Jefferson and jones

It's hard to complain when we are signing all these five star players, but it does seem that Jon is following K's relatively recent strategy of loading up on the highest level of OAD talent and having huge turnover year after year. I was kinda hoping for a blend of OAD and 3-4 year guys. Again, hard to complain though.
Agreed, but damn- cannot argue with top flight talent

How the hell do you pass on the top talent and roll the dice on a player you THINK will develop in 2 3 years IF HE EVEN STAYS. that long. I think what he can do though is go deeper in his rotations. CONSISTENCY and develop the Joey Bakers, players.

Jones showing his face in the tournament was a mystery to me . Yeah he got some burn early, then nothing, then all of a sudden thrown in the ncaa tournament and expect him to have success … I don’t much get it …Hope that Sh!t changes!

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I think he’ll mix it up but with the class we have next year it’s kinda tough knowing they’ll all leave and not restock top talent.. if that makes any sense haha. It’s really a hard thing to do regardless of when

Reactions: geddoughton23
That 2015 team was possibly the mix you need of half elite recruits and half seasoned veterans with cook Jefferson and Jones
I agree with this. Duke and KY have been the 2 programs recrruing the most OAD’s year in and year out and in this era the programs have produced 2 titles, KY in 2012 and us in 2015. And both teams had a MIX of elite freshmen and contributing non-freshmen. I don’t believe a team of mostly OAD with little contribution from others can win a title.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Jones showing his face in the tournament was a mystery to me . Yeah he got some burn early, then nothing, then all of a sudden thrown in the ncaa tournament and expect him to have success … I don’t much get it …Hope that Sh!t changes!
actually what K needed was for him to give Banchero a short blow. He did that without causing any damage so he did have success.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Nice. 2 five stars in a week is impressive, and will quiet the "Duke will fall off after K" crowd for now. Final Fours do help recruiting.

I think Scheyer has mixed in two multi year bigs in Reeves and Steward . A multi year sg in Schutts, multi year pg in Blake’s ( maybe, transfer is always possible ), possible multi year combo in McCain .
I think he’s looking hard but we have to remember it’s all going to depend how much the bench is utilized with all the star power here if multi year players are willing to wait. This is where the portal comes into play.
Think Scheyer is actually being extremely smart about building this year’s roster to position the program extremely well for 2023 and 2024. I’m guessing that the only OAD locks off next year’s team are Whitehead and Lively. Think Flip definitely stays for 2 years and wouldn’t be surprised if Mitchell does as well. Come 2023 team, definitely will have Reeves, Schutt, Roach, Blakes (if he doesn’t transfer), Flip, plus the 5 incoming Freshman.

We would lose Roach, Mgbako, Flip, Mitchell (if he stays), but keep the rest of the 2023 class along with Schutt, Reeves, and possibly Blakes. Try to land Cunningham to replace Mgbako and Somo Cyril (top 15 player out TN) who is a huge Duke fan. We likely lose Foster and Cunningham but come into 2025 recruiting class with guys like Proctor, McCain, Schutt, Reeves, Stewart, and Cyril with all having experience and add the Boozer twins to the roster.

If we play this right, we can use these two monster recruiting classes and a couple select OAD players to get us all the way to 2025 or 2026.

Reactions: sheyduke
In all fairness I think Proctor sees himself as OAD as well as Mitchell.

In all fairness I think Proctor sees himself as OAD as well as Mitchell.
Not sure how Proctor gets the minutes to be a OAD unless Foster is reclassifying. Those two coming in together may help ensure that neither are OAD. As mentioned with Mitchell, think he’s got a 50/50 shot at only playing one year based primarily on his play. He will likely play a Trevor Keels role but for all of the season.

Think Mitchell’s minutes really depends on if either Keels or Moore come back; what position does Whitehead play primarily (SG or SF); does Foster reclassify; and how good Flip is his Freshman year. If Foster comes in early then we could see a Roach/Foster backcourt, Whitehead at SF, Flip at PF, and Lively at Center and that’s assuming nobody returns or transfers in.

According to RR...our '23 class isn't that good because we have some "lower rated" 5 stars. What a magical place that board is.

Mackenzie def struggled in the Nike Summit game - I suppose he will be in it next year too, however.

Not sure how Proctor gets the minutes to be a OAD unless Foster is reclassifying. Those two coming in together may help ensure that neither are OAD. As mentioned with Mitchell, think he’s got a 50/50 shot at only playing one year based primarily on his play. He will likely play a Trevor Keels role but for all of the season.

Think Mitchell’s minutes really depends on if either Keels or Moore come back; what position does Whitehead play primarily (SG or SF); does Foster reclassify; and how good Flip is his Freshman year. If Foster comes in early then we could see a Roach/Foster backcourt, Whitehead at SF, Flip at PF, and Lively at Center and that’s assuming nobody returns or transfers in.
One or the other IMO is going to reclassify. Proctor is more of a pass first pg and Foster is the bigger scoring guard who can play off ball. Both can thrive together on the floor at the same time and give Duke good size with McCain and Schutt coming off the bench and Blake’s. I wouldn’t put stock in Foster or Proctor staying more then a year.

Keels may be back.....
Have you heard anything? Everything I've heard points the other way, but he did struggle down the stretch. DBR forum thinks it's a done deal he's gone, but no one knows for sure at this point.

As soon as I saw how big Keels was and the ease that he dunked in the scrimmages I said "one and done." But I would gladly be wrong on this. Second year Keels would be incredible, but right now seems too good to be true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT