ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Tre will return!!!

Coach K has never gone deep into the bench even when it was there. I would be shocked if we regularly go past an 8 man rotation.

This, but it will pertain more to March than throughout the season. There will probably 10 guys who get time in more than half of the games in the season. A lot of that time will be in blowouts, but that 10 will see some meaningful minutes, be it motivational tactics or “player X has been practicing so well.” But as we know with most teams, not just K, those regular rotations shrink to 8.

The beauty of having a deep team is that you have more guys available to push in practice and more guys available should injuries arise (which of course they will).

Not only that, but it increases the chances someone steps forward from the bench and becomes a stud reserve. The more possibilities the better.

This, but it will pertain more to March than throughout the season. There will probably 10 guys who get time in more than half of the games in the season. A lot of that time will be in blowouts, but that 10 will see some meaningful minutes, be it motivational tactics or “player X has been practicing so well.” But as we know with most teams, not just K, those regular rotations shrink to 8.

The beauty of having a deep team is that you have more guys available to push in practice and more guys available should injuries arise (which of course they will).

Not only that, but it increases the chances someone steps forward from the bench and becomes a stud reserve. The more possibilities the better.

And there's always the injury factor which we never seem to avoid.OFC

Exactly. More options is never, ever a bad thing. At least, in college basketball.

Nope, I just enjoy talking about a team I have no vested interest in. Look, 8 may be the normal max. But let's just say one of our starters is struggling, hurt or whatever, we will have a competent guy to replace him. Something we haven't had since I don't even know how long.

Edit: We will also have 3 seniors, 2 juniors, and 2 sophomores, so we'll have depth AND experience.

I’m telling you it don’t matter. I really hope you’re right tho

Reactions: sheyduke
Why? Do you even watch duke lol. 8 man is the MAX

That’s par for the course for most teams. Some coaches play an NBA rotation, but for the most part, the bench shrinks as it should. No one in college has 10 players capable of “starting” and most coaches are more comfortable playing their 6-7 best.

The increased bench depth will be more visible in January and parts of February, but may be felt more in March.

That’s par for the course for most teams. Some coaches play an NBA rotation, but for the most part, the bench shrinks as it should. No one in college has 10 players capable of “starting” and most coaches are more comfortable playing their 6-7 best.

The increased bench depth will be more visible in January and parts of February, but may be felt more in March.

FL st does. UK has when they have the talent. UNC goes deep usually.

Reactions: sheyduke
Exactly. More options is never, ever a bad thing. At least, in college basketball.

That’s the importance of a deep bench. Not necessarily more playing time for borderline decent players, but more possibilities or chances for a “diamond in the rough” to be found. I’m betting on Alex or Joey to become solid players for us. Remember this was supposed to be Joey’s class anyway and now he’s with his original group with two years of college conditioning. I’ll take that with a good 6’7 shooter.

Man if we get Hurt, we're going to be seriously deep.

PG - Tre, Goldwire
SG - Wendell, Boogie
SF - Alex, Baker
PF - Carey, Hurt, Jack
C- Bolden, Javin

I'm freaking pumped. If our Core returnees can improve at least somewhat over the off season, we could be scary good again.
Nah, K is gonna try out a 3 man rotation next year.

we look deep EVERY year until we start playing and that implodes. So I'll play the wait and see game. I'll set the over under at playing 9....( and take the under due to prior history)

Nope, I just enjoy talking about a team I have no vested interest in. Look, 8 may be the normal max. But let's just say one of our starters is struggling, hurt or whatever, we will have a competent guy to replace him. Something we haven't had since I don't even know how long.

Edit: We will also have 3 seniors, 2 juniors, and 2 sophomores, so we'll have depth AND experience.
It depends on where you get experience. White, Bolden and Javin we’re Juniors. Alex and Goldwire sophomores.
That’s five players returning from this season and the season before. I’d look at eight deep nothing passed that.

The question is who steps up this off season.

FL st does. UK has when they have the talent. UNC goes deep usually.

Go take look at Carolina’s bench usage to end the season. To save you the trouble, if you can believe it or not, the last time Carolina played more than 7 guys 10 minutes or more in a game was 1-15-2019. UVA and Texas Tech both play 7 and they’re in the title game.

Kentucky played 7 all season period, with some other guys sprinkled in and their roster arguably had more bench talent than Duke or UNC. By contrast, Auburn routinely plays 9.

The point is that there’s been this conception that K and only K ruins his bench by shrinking to 7 or 8 guys. That really is just not the case.

Again my point is that bench depth is more visible from December to February. By then, most coaches are looking for 2-3 guys to add to their known starting 5. It is what it is.

That’s the importance of a deep bench. Not necessarily more playing time for borderline decent players, but more possibilities or chances for a “diamond in the rough” to be found. I’m betting on Alex or Joey to become solid players for us. Remember this was supposed to be Joey’s class anyway and now he’s with his original group with two years of college conditioning. I’ll take that with a good 6’7 shooter.
Yup. I think Joey and Alex become pretty big contributors next year. 8-9 points a game and solid defense from both would be huge.

we look deep EVERY year until we start playing and that implodes. So I'll play the wait and see game. I'll set the over under at playing 9....( and take the under due to prior history)

Again, looking deep and being deep are two different things. Most rosters have 7-8 guys who are capable of playing meaningful minutes consistently.

That’s the key word. Consistently. We’ll see one or two guys have one or two games where they go off and it’s like “why hasn’t that coach played him all year.” Well, when he becomes part of the other team’s scouting report, life gets much, much harder (Jack White). If he wasn’t a starter or part of the rotation, more times than not, he wasn’t quite good enough yet.

Go take look at Carolina’s bench usage to end the season. To save you the trouble, if you can believe it or not, the last time Carolina played more than 7 guys 10 minutes or more in a game was 1-15-2019. UVA and Texas Tech both play 7 and they’re in the title game.

Kentucky played 7 all season period, with some other guys sprinkled in and there roster arguably had more bench talent than Duke or UNC. By contrast, Auburn routinely plays 9.

The point is that there’s been this conception that K and only K ruins his bench by shrinking to 7 or 8 guys. That really is just not the case.

Again my point is that bench depth is more visible from December to February. By then, most coaches are looking for 2-3 guys to add to their known starting 5. It is what it is.

I said usually

Here’s what I would love to see improve with Tre in order:

- Shooting
- Finishing at the rim
- Off-ball scoring mentality

His best work is as a defender, followed very closely behind by his court vision. In transition he’s brilliant, in the half court with the right offense he is too (as evidenced by his A-t/o ratio). His shot just made life so hard for him and his teammates at the end there. Now teams are going to try that tactic in November and I’m willing to bet it gets shut down real quick.

Glad he’ll be back...always thought of him as a two or three year player... I couldn’t be happier for him and us!

Did anyone else think Vrank was going to be a really solid player (like Zoubs was his senior year?) Off topic but I remember saying 3 years ago "Damn, he is really solid." Happy for Tre!

I think a lot of people felt and wanted that. And maybe with a roster like that, he could have approached it. But the teams he played on, never lended themselves to his playing style.

Reactions: springsportster
This is awesome news. Experience at the point guard is something Duke hasn't had in awhile. Plus Tre's a little cutie pie.

This is big news for us. We have a lot of moving pieces and guys like Tre and Javin provide stability. We still have question marks but a lot less with Tre.

Reactions: dbav
As a Wolves fan, I hope Tyus and Tre hire the very best shooting coach on God's green earth and do nothing but that all summer. Honestly, both guys find a reliable/good three point shot this summer and Tyus is the starter long term at PG for the Wolves (Unless they get lottery luck and get Morant) and Tre is an All American and mid to upper 1st round pick next year.

Finally and most importantly, I love both my basketball team's PG's and get to watch over 100 games of them being awesome next year!

We just picked up the number 1 recruit in 2019. Tre is more impactful than any freshman coming in this year. Looking forward to seeing his improvements

But word on the street is RJ and Zion made him. If not for them he would never have achieved a historic assist/to ratio.

Reactions: dbav
But word on the street is RJ and Zion made him. If not for them he would never have achieved a historic assist/to ratio.
What street are you on? Whoever may have said something this ridiculous needs to take some time away from watching basketball then quit all together.

What street are you on? Whoever may have said something this ridiculous needs to take some time away from watching basketball then quit all together.

It’s a popular opinion on both THR and RR. Obviously my comment was sarcastically mocking those opinions.

That sentiment was mentioned on this board a few times as well.

I think Tre was actually just edging into that zone where his shot was beginning to come to him. He's going to be REALLY good next season man. Awesome situation for us.

The last three months have been very hard on Tre. There was an article done by The Athletic yesterday on the Jones family. Outstanding work....and I'd encourage people who aren't subscribed to subscribe just for that.

On January 14th, Tre's mom Debbie found out she had cancer. Hours later against Syracuse, Tre got hurt. The next day it was Tyus who went down for a month. Some might recall Debbie's tweet that said something like, "enough already"....many assumed it was just about her boys being hurt. But it was deeper than that. Both of Tre's older brothers live in Minneapolis....they were able to be by her side while she fought her battle. Meanwhile, Tre felt helpless and was thousands of miles away. Not easy for an 18-year-old kid.

I also learned in the last week that Tre's brother, Jadee, made multiple trips to Durham to help Tre cope in the past two months, as well as help him with his struggling shot. Tre's teammates really rallied around him. Their number one stated goal was getting Tre home to Minneapolis for the Final Four.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT