ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite THR Quotes....

ChapelHeeled with this little nugget:

"Coach Roy says there can not be sanctions for basketball"

Well, there you go. The NCAA better shut down the investigation. Apparently Roy didn't give them permission to sanction his squad.

Insane, isn't it, Mark?

Flying%20Monkey%20Roys%20Word%20gif.gif

OFC

RR post, (obviously) not a THR post, but worth sharing anyways:

I actually enjoy the online presence of Duke fans. They don't typically flame, they seem intelligent, and they have the success to deserve to be in conversations like this.

What sickens me is that Carolina fans have fallen so far that they've taken to latching on to Duke. It's some kind of weird cuckold complex where Duke is the guy allowed to sleep with their wife. It comes across as pathetic, like they do it out of fear instead of respect. Although, to be fair, Duke has passed them as a program. I can't imagine how much that hurts.
-GonzoCat90

Reactions: dbav
RR post, (obviously) not a THR post, but worth sharing anyways:

I actually enjoy the online presence of Duke fans. They don't typically flame, they seem intelligent, and they have the success to deserve to be in conversations like this.

What sickens me is that Carolina fans have fallen so far that they've taken to latching on to Duke. It's some kind of weird cuckold complex where Duke is the guy allowed to sleep with their wife. It comes across as pathetic, like they do it out of fear instead of respect. Although, to be fair, Duke has passed them as a program. I can't imagine how much that hurts.
-GonzoCat90
OUCH..............

I think Keyser has had a complete break. If UNCheat doesn't make a deep run this year, we may need to put him on suicide watch.

I especially love the comments on how greedy K is because he has not "given up" the USA job. I'm not sure why he should give it up. If the Olympic Committee wants him there and he wants to stay, then I'm not sure what the problem is.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I especially love the comments on how greedy K is because he has not "given up" the USA job. I'm not sure why he should give it up. If the Olympic Committee wants him there and he wants to stay, then I'm not sure what the problem is.

The irrational Krzyzewski hate is part of their DNA, as ingrained as sweater vests and cheating.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Haha. I mean I really just don't understand the argument. It appears the implication is that USA Basketball should be more interested in giving everyone a chance to coach rather than winning gold medals. Seems odd to me.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Haha. I mean I really just don't understand the argument. It appears the implication is that USA Basketball should be more interested in giving everyone a chance to coach rather than winning gold medals. Seems odd to me.
Exactly. Apparently those guys don't like it when Team USA wins the gold. They fail to remember the last time Coach K didn't coach Team USA. It was a disaster.

Wow, just wow. Straight from Ozheelfan:

"Back to Tatum, glad he's not a Heel. Who's place would he take in the starting line-up? Jackson? Johnson? Potential chemistry issues have been avoided."

I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for that guy.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Mark thats like saying I don't want to win the 23 million dollar lottery because I would have to pay millions in taxes. Its pretty typical for some UNC fans to make these recruiting failure statements so they may sooth their wounds I guess.

Brice Johnson the rising senior at UNC and Tatum the rising HS Senior? Yeah, the chemistry issues would be a HUGE concern.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Remember when the USA job was going to ruin Duke? It was gonna take K away from Duke too much and they were glad of it? Now they're crying in reverse.
I would bet they wouldn't think that if the USA job was offered to Dad gum Roy. Can you see him as the coach, saving all his timeouts until the game was over.

And when Brandon Ingram chose us over them someone at THR said they didn't want him anyway because they didn't want any player who didn't want to be a Tar Heel. That was true brilliance!

From the Keysor:

"look anyone with half a brain knows that dook is on a serious roll and has adopted the OAD role a la KY. make NO mistake that Vader ALSO has SELFISHLY and true to HIS character( or lack of it) NOT given up the very high profile USA head coaching duties.

He COULD have and SHOULD have done that two years ago, but when he realized how it was HELPING his recruiting,

He refused to give that advantage up, even AFTER two Olympic victories. It is NO coincidence he has signed all these OAD players since then and will continue to do so. He LOVES to deal from a stacked deck ,whether it is scheduling, the "clock issues" at HIS or his " true non con road game" fraud that goes back some thirty years.

Never mind about the now SIX year cover up of the Lance Thomas $70k diamond scam .... a TRUE bit of corruption that still goes uninvestigated.

He is a fraud and always will be to me for these and many other reasons.

Dookies who think that after this creep retires that dook will still be on top need to get a MAJOR head checkup........ the fall from their dizzying heights will be epic and I cannot wait to revel in THEIR misery, just as they have had a PARTY on ours for the last five years

F em all"

This is my favorite one in a long time. Dude is going to pop a blood vessel. :D

That dude needs counseling...or a hobby....I hope that person isn't allowed to reproduce.

Coming in contact with a vagina would do wonders for that guy. Internet pics just don't cut it, Keysor.

Reactions: dbav
Courtesy of GSD:

"Most here would be happy to pull in the Okafors, Parkers and Tatums. Me?,...meh. Look, I love top drawer talent as much as the next guy. But as I get older and winning championships becomes less important to me..."

Wait, what? Winning championships isn't important to him?

Courtesy of GSD:

"Most here would be happy to pull in the Okafors, Parkers and Tatums. Me?,...meh. Look, I love top drawer talent as much as the next guy. But as I get older and winning championships becomes less important to me..."

Wait, what? Winning championships isn't important to him?
convenient response when you're not winning any.

And when Brandon Ingram chose us over them someone at THR said they didn't want him anyway because they didn't want any player who didn't want to be a Tar Heel. That was true brilliance!

That has to be a top ten. OFC

It blows my mind that many over at THR (DSouthr in particular with the post below) seem to think that all of their failures on the recruiting circuit are solely based upon negative recruiting (which apparently has always happened?). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how uncertain things are with looming NCAA sanctions, and a recruit or a recruit's parents does not need an opposing coach to point that out. It's absolutely obvious. Maybe it's a lack of self-awareness on the part of UNC fans, or maybe it's a total inability to accept the fact that UNC cheated for close to 20 years and is now facing stiff repercussions. Pointing the finger at others for problems UNC created on its own is a pretty petulant strategy for dealing with this situation.

Also, is it really that shocking that an elite kid might not want to go to UNC? Is it really that shocking that maybe kids are not fond of UNC's system or recent inability to produce top-level NBA talent?

Take it away, DSouthr:

"Well of course other programs are negative recruiting against us but hate to break this to you folks but those very same programs have always done that against us, this is nothing new. If it were not the AFAM they would be slamming us by telling the kids that they will sit on our bench as Micky D players or that Roy is going to retire any day now. The real shame is that now days they are having kids that play with these recruits also negative recruit against us.

Kinda wish Roy would fight fire with fire at times, K could retire at any time, Ky is a NCAA ban waiting to happen. I know, that is not Roy's way of doing things but I would love to see him get pissed and give them back some of what he as been having to take"

Also, one more post from DSouthr. It's basically the spiel he wishes Roy Williams would give elite recruits about why they should come to UNC. DSouthr must think it's still the late 80's or early 90's. None of these kids were alive when Jordan and Worthy were in their primes. Hell, I bet 70% of recruits these days have no idea who James Worthy actually is. Not to mention, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, etc. are far more likely to be the players these kids have idolized growing up. Not Michael Jordan.

"Son, I want you to play for UNC, I don't have to sell you on the amazing numbers of players that wore that UNC jersey that went on to great careers in the NBA." The greatest player of all time, Michael Jordan, how amazing is the opportunity to follow in his foot steps? Son, you can become part of the UNC family of players, that is HUGE once you get to the NBA because your UNC brothers, guys that had the very same decision to make that you have right now, they are waiting to help you. You can play for duke, ky or any program but there is a special bond amoung UNC guys in the league, imagine being able to have Michael Jordan on speed dial, imagine spending vacation with James Worthy and his family. You look around just this summer, you look at all the former Tar Heel players that come back here, that grew up else where but they now call Chapel Hill home and you can understand why they do, isn't that true."

It blows my mind that many over at THR (DSouthr in particular with the post below) seem to think that all of their failures on the recruiting circuit are solely based upon negative recruiting (which apparently has always happened?). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how uncertain things are with looming NCAA sanctions, and a recruit or a recruit's parents does not need an opposing coach to point that out. It's absolutely obvious. Maybe it's a lack of self-awareness on the part of UNC fans, or maybe it's a total inability to accept the fact that UNC cheated for close to 20 years and is now facing stiff repercussions. Pointing the finger at others for problems UNC created on its own is a pretty petulant strategy for dealing with this situation.

Also, is it really that shocking that an elite kid might not want to go to UNC? Is it really that shocking that maybe kids are not fond of UNC's system or recent inability to produce top-level NBA talent?

Take it away, DSouthr:

"Well of course other programs are negative recruiting against us but hate to break this to you folks but those very same programs have always done that against us, this is nothing new. If it were not the AFAM they would be slamming us by telling the kids that they will sit on our bench as Micky D players or that Roy is going to retire any day now. The real shame is that now days they are having kids that play with these recruits also negative recruit against us.

Kinda wish Roy would fight fire with fire at times, K could retire at any time, Ky is a NCAA ban waiting to happen. I know, that is not Roy's way of doing things but I would love to see him get pissed and give them back some of what he as been having to take"
A couple of points b/c i saw that post as well, and thought it was insane for a couple of reasons (not just him but a few others in the same thread).
  1. negative recruiting has always happened and will continue to happen. it happens vs. everyone though. one of the things that makes their posts so offensive is for YEARS the negative recruiting against Duke was- they can't develop big men.....in fact...wait...noooo....the folks over at THR were saying that weren't they? Wow would you look at that.
  2. The big elephant in the room to me is that they're blaming their recruiting failures (which really aren't horrible if you look at the last five years 2015 incoming class aside) on negative recruiting b/c of the scandal...when you should be BLAMING THE SCANDAL YOUR UNIVERSITY PUT ITSELF IN. THATS THE ISSUE.
  3. i'm not in the camp that believes that all of these kids and moreso the parents are always aware of the situations that are going on at the other universities....but this one is kind of hard to miss...
  4. negative recruiting happens to everyone, they're not alone. what you do to combat that speaks more to your program than anything else. Duke was able to fight off the "cant develop" big men with Mase and Jah. They were able to combat the UNC favorite line of "Duke kids dont succeed in the NBA" which is a load of garbage- and you can thank DBP for the change in perception i think.- makes duke cool again and shows our success with NBA guys.
  5. Duke took matters into their own hands. they have a 5 year self review, where they explore and take everything into account and see how they can get better and what things they should keep. UNC might want to do the same.

The big elephant in the room to me is that they're blaming their recruiting failures . . . on negative recruiting b/c of the scandal...when you should be BLAMING THE SCANDAL YOUR UNIVERSITY PUT ITSELF IN. THATS THE ISSUE.
winner winner chicken dinner!

The most recent Duke championship has really made them up it a notch. They were funny (and insane) six months ago, but now their insecurities are shining more bright than ever.

As for GSD's post....I get what he means, but I don't think he'd admit that revelation if the situations were reversed and UNC was on top of the mountain right now. I get it that there's more important things in life. For me, Duke basketball is a way to disconnect. I have a great job, a great family, all of that. My young daughter has taken to a love of Duke basketball too and it's something I enjoy to do (watch) so much with her. But Duke basketball isn't my livelihood.

To his other point, I also don't love the culture of NCAA basketball. Really, I don't think anybody does. But it is what it is. You can be stubborn about it or adapt. I think Duke has adapted quite well. While we've certainly recruited some obvious one-and-done's --- Rivers, Parker, and Okafor --- we've also watched some freshman explode and dramatically improve their stock. No one had Kyrie, Justise or Tyus pegged as one-year players. Kyrie blew up his senior year of high school and then exploded some more at Duke despite playing only a handful games. Justise became maybe our best, and most consistent player. And Tyus, well, what can you say? He took advantage of a monstrous freshman year that concluded with being MOP at the Final Four.

Obviously that has helped Duke's stock and makes our program extremely attractive to potential recruits. That's not a bad thing. And that isn't mutually exclusive with Duke being a so-called one-and-done factory. I think I speak for most here when I say former players like Quinn Cook, Jon Scheyer, Kyle Singler and J.J. Redick, Shane Battier and Grant Hill before them (among others) will always hold more of a "soft" spot in the heart of Duke fans because they were here for four years. And sure, in a perfect world players would stick around for three or four years, but that's not the landscape of big-time college basketball anymore. It's just not.

Sorry for the DSouthr-like rant.

Archer must have his head in the sand...

"UNC has always prided itself on doing things the right way. When we stray off the straight path, no one is tougher on us than we are ourselves. I take pride in that"

Nobody is tougher on UNC than UNC? Wow. How many times did they try to sweep this scandal under the rug? Exactly.

Archer must have his head in the sand...

"UNC has always prided itself on doing things the right way. When we stray off the straight path, no one is tougher on us than we are ourselves. I take pride in that"

Nobody is tougher on UNC than UNC? Wow. How many times did they try to sweep this scandal under the rug? Exactly.

There needs to be a special emoji just for Archer's post! Strong in this one, the Carolina Way.

OFC

I wish Archer would just post one, just one example of how they have been tough on themselves during this scandal. Archer and his group actually do think denial is a river in Egypt. I have an idea for them for a new motto. How about "We are UNC fans, we say stupid sh_t"

UNC fans have convinced themselves that conducting the Wainstein Report showed a ton of class and threw themselves under the microscope. Somehow that should get them a pass for 18 years of corruption.

Wow. Archer. You sir, are the KING of the clueless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT