ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS SYRACUSE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this game. We'll be without Keels (likely), we've been a mixed bag of up and down basketball since returning from the Covid break and maybe most importantly, Wendell looked like a first team all-american before he got Covid and he's been an absolute shell of that since returning from it.

Top that off with a mix of the Orange 2-3 matchup zone that's very tough to prepare for and who knows what tomorrow will bring. It often doesn't matter what Coach Boeheim's team has record wise entering the rivalry, he always has them ready to defend and ready to play. If you're looking for an example, see 2019.

Duke enters the game as an -11.5 favorite and I think we win, but don't cover. That seems like a lot considering what we'll be facing tomorrow and who we'll be without.

Today's game is slated for a noon est tip and will air on ESPN.

Duke 72

Syracuse 64

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Duke and that’s only because they are at home. Will need to make and defend the three .

Duke will defend the Boeheims at the 3 point line like their lives' depend on it. Paolo, AJ and Wendell in the middle of the zone will have a field day. I'm feeling good about this game so long as some unknown on Syracuse doesn't have a career day.

On paper it looks like we will win easily. But Syracuse usually plays us tough, Duke by 4.

Duke up 11 to 4. AJ with 6 already. Wonder if the coaches told him to be more assertive with Keels out. Syracuse is 9 and 9. If they lose today there is no way they make the tournament, unless they win 10 in a row.
11 to 6 now. I swear I am bad luck. It was 11 to 2 when I started tracking the game.
Baker with a 3. 14 to 6.
Now 20 to 15.
27 to 18.
AJ with 12!
30 to 20.
9 turnovers already. We need to tighten that up.

Last edited:
How much better does ball movement look today? They’re not used to doing it so comes off sloppy but they need to keep working at it

Good first half. We have to continue to be aggressive on defense because I have a feeling Syracuse will eventually find their stroke from 3. Their shooting isn't this bad

Reactions: christophero
I'm not watching the game just tracking the box score. Moore only has 2 points, but he has 6 assists. Roach is 1 of 6. Baker with 2 threes and AJ has 12. 14 point lead at the half. No Blakes. Bates Jones got a few minutes.

Last edited:
Girard and Buddy Boeheim are 2 for 18. Roach and Moore are 2 for 13, but other guys have stepped up.
42 29. Here comes the Cuse run. (maybe)
47-29. Nope.
Mark Williams having a big game with 15 and 7 rebounds. 6 of 7 from the floor.
52-31! Start the bus.
Moore heating up, now with 10 points and 7 assists. Good sign.
Now 58-33.

Last edited:
Who thought it would be a good idea to interview people During gameplay?

The Syracuse fan forum sounds like they have turned on Big Jim. Best post "Paulo Banchero vs. Buddy Boeheim. We got this." :)
Moore now with 12. 62 to 36. Impressive performance.
I'm not watching. Who was guarding Buddy? We shut him down today.

Last edited:
Looking good. To be fair, this is a bad Syracuse team. I’m sure Boeheim is proud to get to coach both his sons, but on just a decent team, they’d both be coming off the bench.

4 guys with 15 points. Mark, AJ, Banchero and Moore. Can't get much more balanced than that. Baker with 11. Roach 2 of 10 but he played good defense.
Girard 3-13. Buddy 2-15. Yikes.

Last edited:
I think there needs to be a discussion on if Keels should automatically come back as a starter.

Right after he went down the ball movement drastically got better against FSU and the ball movement today was crazy good. Keels is a ball stopper and with him out and Roach in, we get plenty of ball movement.

We cleaned up the turnovers in the second half. Keels as a 6th man could work. I like Keels a lot, I just don't think we need 15 shots a game from him. I wish him a speedy recovery. He plays terrific defense.

Reactions: duke4life831
slightly off topic but can someone explain to me why Nova is ranked 11th?
Before their loss to Marquette this week, their previous 3 losses were to Baylor, Purdue and UCLA. They've also beaten a couple ranked teams in their division on the road. But like I said they just lost to Marquette so I'm assuming they'll drop a few spots on Monday.

Reactions: Duke1783
We cleaned up the turnovers in the second half. Keels as a 6th man could work. I like Keels a lot, I just don't think we need 15 shots a game from him. I wish him a speedy recovery.
Ya I don’t think we need Keels to be a secondary ball handler and a guy to try and create his own shot.

I think him focusing on more of a 3&D role would be perfect.

I think it’s really hard to overlook what Roach has been doing lately. His play is really opening up the offense.

Nova will probably be a 4 seed. They are a good solid team. I'm shocked at how bad Syracuse is. They have Cole Swinder and some decent pieces, but Girard and Boeheim have regressed from last year. I figured they would be a bubble team.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Nova will probably be a 4 seed. They are a good solid team. I'm shocked at how bad Syracuse is. They have Cole Swinder and some decent pieces, but Girard and Boeheim have regressed from last year. I figured they would be a bubble team.
Girard’s shooting % is substantially higher this year.

slightly off topic but can someone explain to me why Nova is ranked 11th?
Villanova is #6 at kenpom and also #6 in the NET. I watched Villanova demolish Butler 82-42 last week. They're certainly not as imposing as Kentucky or Auburn, the game I watched today. Villanova is 14-5. They're 4-4 in Quadrant 1 games, and 3-1 in Quadrant 2 games

A good win! Devils came to play and came to WIN! It would have been easy to have a hangover after the FSU loss,and sleepwalk today. Its a good weekend!!! Devils win!! OFC

It wouldn’t surprise me if Keels comes back and takes the 6th man role.

Roachs biggest issue to me has been defensively and the last couple games I think he’s improved.

He was getting beat on the cuts more so than blow bys.

As long as he can play consistent D I think we’ll go with this 5 and keels will still get 25 plus minutes.

Thoughts….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT