ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS MICHIGAN STATE FINAL FOUR OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
This is special. There is nothing else to say...maybe it's just me, but I cherish everyone of these in its own special way and although we as Duke fans (especially those of us that have been following for a LONG, LONG time) have experienced many of these, it never gets old and I appreciate every one.

This one, however, has even a little extra meaning for me. If Duke wins, I have two, lower bowl, outstanding seats courtesy of one amazing NCAA coach who has been kind enough to get them for me. If Duke wins, WHEN Duke wins, my wife and I are hitting the road Sunday after Easter services to attend Monday's National Championship!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Ok, Ok, back to the game...I fully realize we have to get past a very good and very well coached Michigan State team. I know many have discussed how we beat MSU back in November but at this point, it's completely irrelevant. Both teams are completely different and both teams style of play has changed drastically.

The Spartans have three players who score in double figures but are led by junior Travis Trice. We're going to have to guard the perimeter tonight and contest every shot in order to win.

As for us, I think it's really pretty simple. Keep doing what we're doing. We've been a different team during the tournament on the defensive end of the floor and Quinn to continue to be solid in the back court for us as they've been the entire season.

But enough of the talk, it's time to play!!!! It's exciting to be back in the Final Four and I genuinely think we have the ability to win this entire thing. It's starts tonight with a strong performance against the Spartans.

Tonight's game is slated for a 6:09pm est start and will air both TBS (national coverage) and TNT (Duke coverage with Abdelnaby and Spatola).

At the end of the day, we WILL pull this out and play for all the marbles on Monday night!!!!

Duke 66

Michigan State 61

Here are some links with more information about tonight's big game. Matt Plizga has been working hard these past few weeks to feed us great info through our tourney run and we thank them for it!

Click here to purchase Final Four memorabilia and apparel.

LETS
GO
DUKE!!!!!!!

This post was edited on 4/4 10:31 AM by krzyzewskiville

Great F4 Gameday thread Kvill! Just fantastic, your best post this season!

These are special games boys, even if we lose them.

Take very careful time to appreciate and cherish our three freshman, because at very very best, we will only see them play two more games in a Duke uniform ever again. We may also at very best only get two more games out of Quinn as well so certainly take a hard look at the young man.

And.... mods feel free to edit this part but I think it really should be said for all our fans in Duke love for the boys who give up so much.... but enjoy every single second you get to see Marshall play as well. He's as selfless as any Duke player as we have ever had and he's stinking plumlee, so that makes him even more special. I'll say nothing more.

At worst, this is the last game we could ever see these boys play in the Best blue God ever made.

That said, I think Duke wins. I don't care if it needs 3 OT's, just. freaking. win.

Haven't picked a score since the loss to Notre Dame, and I will not pick one now. Just win. It is that simple. How special is this? We have very few opportunities to see something this special actually come to fruition. The Spartans are tough and agree with the rest of you, that game in November means diddly squat right now at this point. They are playing their best basketball and we will have to be at our best in order to win this whole thing. It has been a joy to watch this team grow and these kids develop. It is extra special to see how Quinn has come along. I am a big ball of nerves already and sadly I have to close tomorrow night and cannot watch the game, bummer! So here we are, two games away from number 5!!!!! The time is now!!!!! LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!

Final Fours are special. We've been fortunate that as Duke fans we've seen our Blue Devils in more than almost anyone. Since 2010 Coach K has steered Duke into 1 Elite Eight, 2 Final Fours, and one National Championship...with the possibility of another championship looming. But with a couple of quick exits in the NCAA's this has been considered 'a dry spell' for Duke fans. There are 300+ division 1 teams that haven't accomplished, in their entire basketball program history, what Duke has achieved since 2010. Yes, it is great to be a Duke fan. Enjoy it, because success like this doesn't last forever.

Michigan and Duke are both different, and better since November. The Spartans will play us tough, but Duke won't back down. It should be an intense, physical game. We need to keep our turnovers to a minimum, rebound, and play the kind of defense we've exhibited in the tourney so far. We do that, and even if our offense isn't hitting on all cylinders, we'll still win and advance. Go Duke!!!

Duke 70
Michigan 66

OFC

As I write this, we are exactly 12 hours away from tip off in the FINAL FOUR!!! I am awake because I couldn't sleep. I am so pumped. As a kid, Duke played in 7 FF in 9 years and I just assumed this was a right of passage for Duke. But, obviously it has to be earned every year and with the 2 early exits in 3 years, it's just great to see Duke back where they belong.

This one will be tough. MSU is playing their best ball and we know how great their coach is. They will have some revenge on their minds and Duke is going to have to play their best game of the tourney to win. I think we played well against Utah and Gonzaga, but I don't think it was our best. Justise just needs to continue to play like he has. And, I think we need a big game from Tyus. He had a better game against Gonzaga but he has been struggling of late with his shot. We know how he steps up in the biggest games with the brightest lights and he needs to this time as well. Okafor will probably get back to being Oak. But, the most important thing is to continue to play defense like they have this tourney.

Duke wins, but it will be very, very difficult. Duke 73, MSU 67.

And, Carolina fans get to watch Duke play in the FF, as well as UK. This makes me happy.

Duke 75
MSU 67

I've worn my 2010 national championship T-shirt one time and that was to the first and only DI meeting of the board luncheon in Raleigh, NC. Tonight it's coming out of the closet. OFC

This post was edited on 4/4 6:30 AM by skysdad

We will be the best offense they have faced in the tournament. I think it will be to much for them...rebound the ball and we will be fine!

Duke 74
State 62

Originally posted by skysdad:
Duke 75
MSU 67

I've worn my 2010 national championship T-shirt one time and that was to the first and only DI meeting of the board luncheon in Raleigh, NC. Tonight it's coming out of the closet. OFC

This post was edited on 4/4 6:30 AM by skysdad
I hear you sky! I will be wearing my lucky 2001 National Championship polo shirt as well. Duke is better than Michigan State and I will leave it there.

OFC

Duke 70
Michigan State 60

I love watching this team and want to see two more games. Just win, I don't care what the score is. I say Duke by 8. GO get it Quinn!

Well game day is here! It's been a special week.

Expect Sparty to try and bump us around. Make us make dumb fouls, and take advantage of defensive switches. We gotta play smart, keep taking the ball right at them and get high % shots.

They can't guard jah and he needs to be big for us today, needs to play like a number 1 pick.

Go Duke!

Here working the game.
Duke has got this!!

Duke 77
Michigan State 73

Originally posted by Skeelow22:
Here working the game.
Duke has got this!!

^ These are the statements that scare me. Skee, if you were ever right, I sure hope it is now!

Not that it matters, but the first time we played, Duke shot 54% from the field, 50% (7/14 from 3), and 20-26 from the FT line. We also outscored MSU 24-4 on points off turnovers. That's a little too much to ask for again, so with that being said, MSU shot 50% from the field in that game, a lot for them to duplicate.
Who will play the better defense this game, and stay out of foul trouble. If Duke can keep their focus on this big stage, talk, switch, and help (doesn't this sound familiar coming from me), I really don't care what MSU does, we will be fine.
Big match-ups with Justise/Dawson and especially Quinn/Trice! Does Quinn have the energy to stay with and shut down Trice like he did Pangos. Keep these 2 in check, and I really like our chances.
Okafor must have a big game, and Tyus must really step up again. The guards must play aggressive and penetrate to help take the pressure off of Jah. I think Justise will be Justise, but I worry about him and foul trouble in this game. Maybe someone else might step up here, Matt or Grayson. Would love to see Grayson have a game like WF.
Anyway, all this being said, the law of averages is not on the side of Duke (K is 8-1 against Izzo and we have won the last 4 meetings).
But, if all of the above happens, Duke wins this one going away late! Please Duke, don't let this be the last game!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Duke 72
Michigan St. 65

Enjoy the good seats on Monday, K-Ville!

No idea of the score, no idea if we win or lose but with that said:

Lord on this wonderful time of the year, both Easter and the NCAA's please let us win this game and one more this season because these boys deserve it.

I've been confident all week about this game. But today I started having a few wayward thoughts--maybe it's just nerves. We are going to make some runs, and when we do we cant let up on the gas pedal. If we lose this game it's because we let MSU hang around and they out-toughed us at the end.
I am going with Vegas on this one:
Duke: 71
MSU: 66

So I've mentioned in the past how I get to watch most games with a room full of UK fans. Well, coincidentally enough, they're all from Michigan. So I'll be watching this game with a group who are actively cheering for the opposing team. Fun night.

This game will be like the others that have had us on the edge of our seat this year.

Duke will either jump out to a big lead, or maintain a solid lead, for most of the first half. Michigan St. will go on a little run near the end of the half to cut the lead. With about 16 minutes to go in the 2nd half, Duke will go flat. They won't be able to hit the broadside of a barn and Michigan State won't miss. MSU will get a lead, possibly 8-12 points. Duke fans will get worried and the chicken littles will declare it over with in this very thread.

With about 8-9 minutes to go, something will click. Cook will hit a big 3 after a steal and the guys will get energized. Justise will go end-to-end off a defensive rebound and score. Jah will manhandle the MSU bigs for a few buckets, and, then, Tyus will score a floater to take the lead.

Duke gets a 5-7 point lead with 1 minute to go and the rest is history.

Duke waits for the winner of the KY-Wisky game.

Originally posted by FearTheBeard:
This game will be like the others that have had us on the edge of our seat this year.

Duke will either jump out to a big lead, or maintain a solid lead, for most of the first half. Michigan St. will go on a little run near the end of the half to cut the lead. With about 16 minutes to go in the 2nd half, Duke will go flat. They won't be able to hit the broadside of a barn and Michigan State won't miss. MSU will get a lead, possibly 8-12 points. Duke fans will get worried and the chicken littles will declare it over with in this very thread.

With about 8-9 minutes to go, something will click. Cook will hit a big 3 after a steal and the guys will get energized. Justise will go end-to-end off a defensive rebound and score. Jah will manhandle the MSU bigs for a few buckets, and, then, Tyus will score a floater to take the lead.

Duke gets a 5-7 point lead with 1 minute to go and the rest is history.

Duke waits for the winner of the KY-Wisky game.
Geez FTB, I got so excited reading your game scenario, I almost went into Cardiac arrest!! I don't know if I have anything left for this evening. I would settle for that scenario as long as you got the last part right, but no doubt, the 8-12 point MSU lead would be tough to handle!!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

We have some great competitors on this team that hate to lose. I think Jah turns his play up about 4 notches and dominates the paint tonight!
Duke 72
Mich St 60

Originally posted by gottagonow:
No idea of the score, no idea if we win or lose but with that said:

Lord on this wonderful time of the year, both Easter and the NCAA's please let us win this game and one more this season because these boys deserve it.

Can I get an AMEN ^.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Amen!
Gonna be tough getting up for sunrise service tomorrow after two great games of college basketball, but that's nothing compared to the sacrifice shed for us!

I so want a shot at Kentucky. Please win this one fellas ! GO DUKE !!!!!

This post was edited on 4/4 1:43 PM by Showenuff

12 FF under K, just amazing. So thankful for the opportunity to post in this game thread. Just want to thank the coaches and players for all of their hard work to get us here. I never take these for granted. It has been one hell of a season and I know we have the goods to win it all and I feel we will. We are going to take another step tonight and I fully expect us to play for the title monday.

LETS GO DEVILS!

Looking for a real battle! MSU is much better than they were earlier & so are we! I think we win a close one! GO DUKE!!!

OFC

Alright fellas, go ahead and tell me everything is gonna be OK!

I had a dream 2 nights ago that Duke is up 2 with about a minute left.. Michigan State then hits a 3 to go up by 1 with less than 35 seconds left.. So Duke had the ball, down by 1, with the shot clock off... Then I woke up before the ending...

I really hope it's not THAT close and down to the wire.. But would make for a great game.

Just a side note.. I remember saying "when Duke wins" in the 2010 National Championship game thread and getting ripped apart by this site..

Originally posted by CRAZIE4LIFE:
Alright fellas, go ahead and tell me everything is gonna be OK!
Crazy, I'm right here with you ole' buddy, and I'm telling you, it's gonna be ok! Hang in there.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Win or lose I'm thankful for the season our boys have given us

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT