ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS LOUSIVILLE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

christophero

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
May 2, 2017
A day early but here we go. Early game. Louisville is bad right now and have lost their coach. On paper we should win by 20. I predict we win by 12. Most teams seem to save their best games for us, esp. in conference. I assume Keels is out again. Would like to see AJ get back on track, as he's been pretty quiet the last 2 games. Williams has looked good, as has Roach, and maybe we see more Bates Jones and Blakes. We may need these 2 down the line, esp. Jones, so it makes sense to give them some minutes if we have a lead. Would like to see less turnovers by Moore, and for Baker to continue his good play. Would like to see Banchero look down low to score.
Duke 83
Louisville 71

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE and Liftee
Chris I agree with everything you say but don't have the same level of optimism you have.

This team needs to prove it can win on the road. I expect the Louisville team and crowd to be energized with getting rid of an unpopular coach. If Duke lets them hang around it could be another nail biter like Clemson, FSU and Miami.

I've read people on other boards say Louisville will not be up for this game, which makes me think they have not seen an ACC game in 30 years. Do I think we can lose this game? Yes. See Clemson. Do I think we will lose? No. But it wouldn't shock me. I would like to see this team develop a killer instinct.

Last edited:
Solid analysis Chris. Let's keep the turnovers and their offensive rebounds to single digits. If we do, we win by 18+. If we don't we are in for a dogfight.

Duke 83
UL 67

Someone on DBR pointed out that this is only the third true road game where we had to get on a plane, and we are 0-2 in the other two. Time to break that streak and get some momentum heading into our road stretch.

Reactions: Liftee and sheyduke
I've read people on other boards say Louisville will not be up for this game, which makes me think they have not seen an ACC game in 30 years. Do I think we can lose this game? Yes. See Clemson. Do I think we will lose? No. But it wouldn't shock me. I would like to see this team develop a killer instinct.
Think this is pretty fair Chris. Until this team decides they want to play with a killer instinct against a team they should blow out, I’ll be reserved as well. Do I think we lose? Of course not, but it wouldn’t (unfortunately) be the most shocking thing to see us lay an egg. This team isn’t good enough to just flip a switch. They need to play smart and hard the entire 40min. Even against Cuse it wasn’t always pretty, Cuse just sucks that bad.

Well, I couldn't have been more wrong about Tuesday's game against Clemson, and I'm not really sure what to expect on the road today against a team that has moved on, mid-season mind you, from its head coach, Chris Mack.

That, coupled with the still up-in-the-air status of Trevor Keels, this game has me a little nervous. On paper, it's a game we should win. Anyone that's spent any time watching ACC basketball over the years knows that's never the case, more so in road ACC games.

Duke currently sits as a -6.5 point favorite and considering this is likely a bounce back game for us after a subpar performance (that's how all year seems to have gone), I like us to both win the game outright and ATS.

The Blue Devils and Cardinals are slated to tip at 12pm est and will air on ESPN.

Duke 83

Louisville 69

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like your assessments. Everybody plays duke like they are a bunch of seniors playing in the final four. The house will be rocking.
Amoungst, Duke's road losses most of the team was in foul trouble at OSU who at one point in time ended up being ranked and over time at FSU without Keels. The lone loss in Cameron came after an extended Covid pause.

I do not think Louisville has the fire power to hang with Duke as long as the silly turnover bug does not take over.

The low point spread (6.5) tells me Keels will be unavailable. This is still a game we should win. That said, it's Louisville, who always have talent, and a road game so anything is possible. A grind it out win seems likely. I just read the line is now 5.5. Interesting. Today we just need to get out of there with a win, I'm not concerned about style points. They could be fired up after losing their unpopular coach.
Duke 12-2. We've come out fired up. Mark with 4, AJ with 5.
Now 20 to 7. Good start. Our front court has 12 points. Mark 6, Paulo 4, Theo 2. Nice. We are also winning the rebounding battle.
24-11. Let's see if we can push it to 20 and not relax and let them back in.
26-17. Roach with 7 points and 2 assists.

Last edited:
Need to just keep attacking and kick. Don’t settle for jump shots the last couple have lead to lead outs.

Reactions: christophero
Moore with 0 points/rebounds. 0-4. Does he ever play well in the first half? I hope he snaps out of this soon. Esp. with Keels out. Now 30-19. Don't let Louisville get it under 10 at halftime. 30-21.
35-28 now. AJ with 9.
35-32. Here comes Louisville.
Duke is 2-11 from 3.
40-35 at the half. We have ourselves a dogfight.

Last edited:
My wife is asking why I’m laughing so hard. Why? The insanely inconsistent Duke team I’m watching. It really is insane. Besides Roach, not one of these guys wanted to be there after about first ten minutes in first half.

Reactions: KDSTONE and Mac9192
Roach, AJ, and Theo were solid. That’s why it’s only a 5 point lead. The others need to step it up.
Just never sure which team will show up.

Mark played well too. Banchero played okay, but he seems to coast a lot of the time. He needs to get more aggressive. If Banchero and Moore step up we win. A 5 point lead is good, but Louisville has the momentum. Survive and advance.

Not sure what more this Duke team can do . It’s like when they fix an issue one part of their game suffers. Winning the rebounding battle and offensive glass but can’t hit a jump shot and some have been wide open.
Louisville playing good defense especially on Paolo .

I'd be fine with winning ugly today. This would be a bad loss. If we don't put these guys away it will come down to the wire.
47-45.
We usually lose games like this. Let's change that today.
Theo John stepping up with Mark in foul trouble.
Moore playing better.

Last edited:
Gee, thug ball and trash talking in Louisville. Never saw that coming. 11 really trying to get Wendell to fight him.

Reactions: KDSTONE
It's the only way they can win. Teams are going to do this to us if it gives them a shot. So far AJ and Theo have saved us. 3 point lead. Banchero stepping up as well.

Last edited:
On the positive side, this would be a gutsy win if we grind this out.
60-57 us with 9 to go.

No matter what Happens here we have to learn how to guard against the drive and move the ball on offense. One on one basketball doesn’t work no matter how talented we are.

Louisville killed by Pitt, UVA, ND.
Now they are playing at a Final 4 worthy pace. Never fails.

I'm gonna go to the gym. I can't take the tension ha. (it's usually good luck when I do)

Great, if ugly win. 9 points. Duke went on a run on my ride to the gym. Moore and Roach 1-9 from 3 but AJ, Mark and Theo saved us. Banchero with a rough shooting night (5-15) but 14 rebounds. Williams 14 and 11, AJ with 22! Nice tough road win. I'll take it. Roach with a very good first half.

Last edited:
Won by the original opening point spread of -9. Wasn't pretty but we won. We left alot of points on the free throw line mostly from Theo. When can we get a game when we're hitting on all cylinders? Baker went back to his normal self unfortunate.

We took their best shot and then responded down the stretch. Can't ask for much more than that on the road in the ACC.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Agree Christophero. Took a couple of shots from them and we responded every time. AJ hitting huge shots and playing himself into possible lottery pick and I ain't complaining one bit.

Ya really hoping we stick with this starting lineup. The ball movement continues to be really good. Roach is running the offense very well.

Keels off the bench will be the perfect addition to the team at the moment.

I think this team finally realized no one is laying down for them when they get up. I thought the defense in the last eight especially around the basket was key. Don’t know who’s block was better. Paolo blocking the dunk or Williams blocking the three and getting the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT