ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS GONZAGA MAUI INVITE FINAL OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Hope we don’t ever loose a game
Me too, but it's a good thing. Now they will probably smell their shit and know they are human and it stinks. They played a bad game against a great team and was in position for overtime or a win. How can you be upset with that with 4 freshman logging majority of the minutes. They are going to be hell to deal with.

Haha.....I usually get pretty mad, but over it quick.
I’m not that mad we lost. Im mad that how freshman like we played we had a chance to win at the end and choked 3 times in a row the same way. O well

Okay....

Gonzaga shot over 60% in the first half and came out in the 2nd half on fire... Cam for the most part was non existent... we played hero ball a little too much.... and we still had a chance to tie or even win on the last possession. We lost to the #3 team in the nation (who with Tilley might be better then that ranking).

This team fought for double digits down to get back into this game... film will be watched, adjustments will be made and we will be fine!

I'm usually upset, don't want to eat anything, won't watch sports center, immediately delete the recorded game and can't sleep good lol. But this one, it's like i'm so proud of the fight they displayed. Tre is going to be a monster as well. He is starting to pick up his offensive aggression and that will do nothing but wonders. He clearly is a Stones family member lol.

Like now I keep hearing how hot Gonzaga shot... I’m annoyed because I take that as some sort of excuse ... How about how poorly we played D, how many wide open shots they had, hell how many wide open shots they missed. Hell the first play of the game they missed a wide open layup! We lucky they didn’t shoot 70%! :)

RR
“Duke Losses !!!!! The greatest team of all time doesnt make it past Nov without a loss!”

Hahahah there’s so many things I could say about this, but I’ll let y’all have it.

I am not even mad or upset....not even a little, and I really don't know why? Maybe because I never expected to go undefeated, and I am still SO confident that we are EVERYBODY'S nightmare come March. For some reason, this is the best I have handled a loss in a very long time.

Agreed. Would rather lose to Gonzaga than the pussy cats or tar holes.

RR
“Duke Losses !!!!! The greatest team of all time doesnt make it past Nov without a loss!”

Hahahah there’s so many things I could say about this, but I’ll let y’all have it.

Their obsession with us... I just, I can’t.... I don’t get how a fan base has the time or energy to worry about what another team does let alone another team that isn’t even in their conference...

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
I guess they got to root for something . Getting blown out by us, smacking Aurburn, and getting killed in recruiting I mean damn . There’s another thread about the fouls in the Auburn game too! Probally more! I didn’t stay long. Lmao poor bastards

I would have rather Tre or Zion with the ball either driving to score or driving and kicking to Cam for the 3. Zion would’ve been the best option because he can’t be stop going to the goal plus he doesn’t hesitate to kick it. Tre is a Jones so that’s why I trust him to have the ball. I just know RJ should’ve been standing in the corner. He had his 3 chances prior and he blew it.

Zion in the post would’ve been a thought. He was unstoppable down there the last 8 minutes of the game. And if he was doubled, you had Tre, Cam, RJ it Jack ready to fire. I’ll take that all day.

Zion in the post would’ve been a thought. He was unstoppable down there the last 8 minutes of the game. And if he was doubled, you had Tre, Cam, RJ it Jack ready to fire. I’ll take that all day.

You’re right. I put it on Coach K for not empowering Zion. Zion is a team guy and RJ is his boy so he doesn’t mind deferring. Coach has to draw up a better play though. That timeout was a waste. We could’ve ran that without letting Gonzaga set a defense

I’m having a tough time feeling bad about this loss. We lose the pressure of being undefeated and being compared to NBA teams. We played pretty terribly by our standards in the first half and put ourselves in strong position to win. Lose to a team that is talented and experienced and no one will will fault us for come selection time. See the birth of Tre stones.

Those two missed dunks really hurt... I think RJ will learn a lot from this game and we will improve in our end of game shot selection. We wouldn’t have been in a position to win without him.

Reactions: Quavarius
Good game to loose, but the fight is there and that's what I'm proud of. RJ was mugged a few times, but you can't depend on the refs. Lets not turn on the guy, because you can bet your ass, at some point Barrett will save us. If there is a good loss, this was it.

This! The same people turning on Barrett were probably the same ones turning on Tatum and then started kissing his ass at the end of the year. Don’t mind *those* fans.

Don’t mind the loss just hate how we lost. We went to the same play every time and it wasn’t going to work. Even a dump off to Javin was an open dunk for OT, but oh well.one positive is Barrett isn’t scared to take the big shot down the stretch. He will learn from this.

Missed a lot of FT’s as well. It almost caught up with us against Auburn. But yeah those missed dunks, God must’ve been a Zags fan today.

I learned that Tre Jones is the reincarnation of Tyus. I thank the Lord up above. Please don’t leave us after this year Tre. Come back and win national player of the year next year. Ok thanks. Bye

I’m having a tough time feeling bad about this loss. We lose the pressure of being undefeated and being compared to NBA teams. We played pretty terribly by our standards in the first half and put ourselves in strong position to win. Lose to a team that is talented and experienced and no one will will fault us for come selection time. See the birth of Tre stones.

Those two missed dunks really hurt... I think RJ will learn a lot from this game and we will improve in our end of game shot selection. We wouldn’t have been in a position to win without him.
I understand what you’re saying about getting that first loss out of the way and taking off all that unnecessary pressure but dang i hate losing. When we went on that run i thought we were gonna pull it out but as a lot of people have already said you can’t play bad defense for 30 minutes and then try to turn it on for the last 10 minutes. Some teams you can but Gonzaga? Not gonna work. Ultimately it’s probably a good game to learn from going forward. When we play again?? This is such a fun team and they’re still getting better

If Roy Williams would have saved the last timeout we would be all over the Carolina fan base about it. K left one in the bank with 10 seconds left that we should have used.

I doubt it. Besides, Gonzaga had just called a timeout before that single free throw....I’m sure they didn’t stand around in the huddle and drink water.

You’re right. I put it on Coach K for not empowering Zion. Zion is a team guy and RJ is his boy so he doesn’t mind deferring. Coach has to draw up a better play though. That timeout was a waste. We could’ve ran that without letting Gonzaga set a defense

Absolutely. We should’ve dictated tempo in the first half. We could’ve run on them. We played tight. Maybe that was the game plan. Since we can’t rely on running, scale back on it in a big game. But whatever that was in the first half, it stifled the offense and killed anybpossible momentum on D. Like it or not, this is a momentum team. Play to that strength when you can.

I will say, I didn’t hate that we let them waste their energy, it just took 35 minutes to happen. I don’t think K thought it would take that long.

Zags were great. They have a great team. Mature. They play better team defense and they PASS the ball.

To me the real difference rested in two areas:

1. Zags had 16 assists to Duke's 9. Barrett had so many drives with forced, difficult shots he threw up and missed several, with some blocked - all the while there would be a guy like White or whoever standing at the 3 point line wide open. Duke could have done with more catch and shoot 3s.

2. Team defense. Gonzaga played it. Duke did not until the 2nd half. It seemed the Zags got worn down a bit from Duke's speed. In the 2nd half Duke's defense was much more intense.

Barrett looks like he could be a challenge this year. He doesn't pass the ball like he should. When you drive and 4 guys have collapsed on you in the lane, somebody is going to be WIDE open.

And, he played terrible defense. Just uber lazy in the 1st half. I love his intensity and aggressiveness on offense but he has to be a) smarter than that and play more team ball and b) get after it on defense. If his defense matched his desire to drive to the rim, he'd be a stud.

K and staff will have this team re-focused. You can not deny the heart this team had today to not give up! They dug themselves in a hole and clawed there way back.. now if they don’t fix their flaws come February then I’ll worry... for now trust the staff and players that they will learn from this game

Not to armchair quarterback but I thought K put Cam back in the game too late. We could have used a three near the end, and he didn’t go back in until 30 seconds left.

Reactions: jcdevilfan
They were on a pretty big roll without him. I would of liked to see him in there, also, but understand not rocking the boat.

Zags were great. They have a great team. Mature. They play better team defense and they PASS the ball.

To me the real difference rested in two areas:

1. Zags had 16 assists to Duke's 9. Barrett had so many drives with forced, difficult shots he threw up and missed several, with some blocked - all the while there would be a guy like White or whoever standing at the 3 point line wide open. Duke could have done with more catch and shoot 3s.

2. Team defense. Gonzaga played it. Duke did not until the 2nd half. It seemed the Zags got worn down a bit from Duke's speed. In the 2nd half Duke's defense was much more intense.

Barrett looks like he could be a challenge this year. He doesn't pass the ball like he should. When you drive and 4 guys have collapsed on you in the lane, somebody is going to be WIDE open.

And, he played terrible defense. Just uber lazy in the 1st half. I love his intensity and aggressiveness on offense but he has to be a) smarter than that and play more team ball and b) get after it on defense. If his defense matched his desire to drive to the rim, he'd be a stud.

I agree with all of it other than RJ being a challenge. He had plays called for him to attack, he just didn’t have his awareness to kick out. IMO he lacks awareness not willingness on his drives. He’s a willing passer, but once he makes his mind up, he doesn’t have the presence yet to make the right play. That can coached and looked at on film.

Lack of willingness would be a challenge. I don’t see that being the issue with RJ.

This! The same people turning on Barrett were probably the same ones turning on Tatum and then started kissing his ass at the end of the year. Don’t mind *those* fans.
Speaking from experience, it’s annoying when the teams best player goes into shoot shoot shoot mode and misses wide open guys. You don’t think less of the guy, but it creates a little doubt in your mind. Guys stop running and hustling when you don’t hit the open man. There’s nothing wrong with calling out RJ for some bad plays. He will hopefully adjust like Tatum did. Those who are saying RJ is a ball hog are just mad we lost. They’ll be over it tomorrow.

2 more positive takeaways after watching Coach’s presser:

1) Javin started to look like the player we’ve been hoping to see this year toward the end of this game. I think a lot of us were starting to think that we could win the whole thing riding the big 4 plus some White and Bolden sprinkled in. What a luxury it would be to start getting consistently great play from Bolden, White and Javin on a nightly basis. I don’t think it will happen overnight but if those 3 continue to trend upward look out...

2) Gonzaga is a hard team to gameplan for when you have a week to prepare. The differential of us being young and them being old is certainly heightened on 1 day’s notice. They are the #2 to our #1 offense in the country and throw a lot of things at you. We will not have to face a team of their caliber on one day’s notice at any point for the rest of the season.

Reactions: youngman42
What our team hopefully learns from this is that they can lose. I knew the Zags would give us a good game.
You can’t use how they played against Arizona as how they would play Duke. Teams get more fired up for us than any other team out there. Plus with all this hype our kids are getting, it makes them even more determined to win.

Reactions: dukehokie
Ok hypotheticaly if Tre doesn’t miss the dunk the games tied before lol... the point is it’s not smart to rely on a foul call when you shoot 65% from the line to tie a game in the final secounds! :)
RJ shooting 65% for the season isn’t great but it itsnt terrible either but there are 3 players on the team that have a lower free throw shooting percentage than him, one of those players being Zion at 62.1% but he was 6-6 from the free throw line today. Tre’s free throw percentage is 53.8% but he was 2-2 from the line today. Marques free throw percentage is 42,9% but he was 2-2 from the line today. RJ was 4-8 from the line today, IF and that’s a BIG IF he had gotten the calls on those drives then based on his season percentage there’s a decent chance that he might’ve made some of those free throws considering several other players shot above their season percentage in the game. In general we’re not a good free throw shooting team this season, we only have 2 players that are shooting above 70% or better from the free throw line: Cam at 93.8% and Jack at 77.8%. So basically outside of Cam and Jack, it’s going to be an unsure thing putting anyone on the free throw line. My main point is if he gets the calls on those drives then it still gives us a chance at putting points on the scoreboard. A couple of plays are going to stick out in people’s minds like RJ getting blocked on his last 2-3 drives, Zion missing that dunk and Tre missing that dunk but IMO we lost because we just made too many mistakes as a team.

Reactions: dukesince91
Missed the game live. Just finished watching the replay. Usually wouldn’t watch the replay of a loss, but I’m glad I did, it was a fun game.

Still too early for me to form much of an opinion of this team either good or bad. But honestly this loss doesn’t hurt me one bit. May have stung more if I saw it live, but whatever. Can’t wait till the Indiana game on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT