ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS GONZAGA MAUI INVITE FINAL OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

They had to shoot 58% from 3 to beat a young Duke team by 2. The last few years Duke has been overhyped. Not this year. This was a quality L for Duke but college bball better be ready in March. This team will only get better (and older).

Big picture fellas, big picture.

Absolutely, SoCal. I'm usually a little dejected after a loss, but not this one. Duke is the real deal.

OFC

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
Guess Tre and Zions missed dunks didn’t come back to hurt us?
I know the last five brought them back but it would’ve been nice to see the starting five on the court at the end. I think Bolden could’ve helped with the rebounding late.
Anyways glad they came back especially without Cam for most of the second half.
Happy Thanksgiving!

People who watched him throughout school knew he was ball dominant, and how many people jumped for joy we he announced he's committed to Duke? If you did, and still knew how dominant he was with the ball, I don't remember seeing any threads saying oh no we got a ball hog. Again, it's nothing he hasn't done for 4 years. It was game 6, I'm positive he will adjust. When you got the goat drawing up plays for you, what you expect an 18 yr old to do? It was his play as well that got us back in the game along with Zion, Good game, move on to the next. Just my 2 cents.
In a fairness people said he was pressing since Canada :) And the goat hasn’t drawn up plays for this group :)

Good game. Gonzaga is legit and deserved the W. I was happy to see Duke fight back and make it a game at the end. I wish RJ would have taken a shot at the top of the key and go for the win or give Zion a chance at an offensive rebound and a put back if he missed. Oh well, we all knew they weren’t going undefeated. They’ll lose again. As long as they win their last game we’ll all be happy.

Reactions: Mpm277
Heartbreaking loss...

Loved the fight we showed in the second half.

Hate to lose because of selfishness.

Gonzaga is the better TEAM at the moment. They played as a unit instead of a group of individuals....Hopefully by March, that will no longer be the case.

Last edited:
In a fairness people said he was pressing since Canada :) And the gat hasn’t drawn up pays with this group :)
I say again, he been like this for 4 years. How many people watch these guy in high school and not just on announcement day? Maybe K was just drawing on the clip board then.

If Coach K would have left Bolden on the bench more in the First half and went with Javin or Jack we wouldn’t have been in such a whole.

I love K but those last posessions are on him. NBA 1on1 iso's are pure junk. Hope to never see that end of game situation again.

Squad didn't quit & this will humble them as well.

I say again, he been like this for 4 years. How many people watch these guy in high school and not just on announcement day? Maybe K was just drawing on the clip board then.
Nobodys cut throating him. 3 straight possessions he failed though I mean lol. I’m sure he will learn from it too. K too!!

Reactions: pisgah101
People who watched him throughout school knew he was ball dominant, and how many people jumped for joy when he announced he's committed to Duke? If you did, and still knew how dominant he was with the ball, I don't remember seeing any threads saying oh no we got a ball hog. Again, it's nothing he hasn't done for 4 years. It was game 6, I'm positive he will adjust. When you got the goat drawing up plays for you, what you expect an 18 yr old to do? It was his play as well that got us back in the game along with Zion, Good game, move on to the next. Just my 2 cents.
Fair enough. I'm not saying it's bad we have him, lol. I hadn't ever seen him play in HS, so I'm only going on what I've seen between the Canada trip and Duke games. He's obviously good and he's going to get better. One of the ways he'll get better is to share the ball more. Just because he's good doesn't mean he's above criticism. I shout and celebrate just as much as the next guy when he makes an exciting play. This should be a good learning experience for him.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
RJ man that was just stupid ...You’re trying to draw a foul and go to the FT line which is your biggest weakness right now 3 times in a row!!? Wow and K allowing it sheesh .... Nobody’s perfect on to the next game

Those weeent good shot selections and 65% might not be a great free throw percentage but if he draws a foul on those 3 drives to the basket then that gives him 6 free throw attempts, so based on his percentage that means he likely would’ve made 4 out of those 6 free throws and he wasn’t the only player on the team that made poor decisions on shot selection today.

I want RJ with the ball in his hands at the end. Did he make the right decisions tonight? No, but he's our go-to clutch player. Probably the best one in the nation.

Reactions: retiredsoldier
Nobodys cut throating him. 3 straight possessions he failed though I mean lol. I’m sure he will learn from it too. K too!!
They all will. From Cam not showing up in the first half, to missed dunks, bad switches on screens, etc.. To each his own, but I'm just glad with all that, they still had a chance. Good enough for me regardless of what happen the last few possessions.

Remember in 98-99 we lost to Cincinnati in the great Alaska shootout final on a last second shot. We went on to the National Championship game having only that one loss. I’m not saying we are going to the National Championship game with just this one loss, but I’m saying we are going to be just fine. Hopefully RJ and the team will learn from this and watch the Kentucky tape and see how deadly they can be when they share the ball and play solid D!

Those weeent good shot selections and 65% might not be a great free throw percentage but if he draws a foul on those 3 drives to the basket then that gives him 6 free throw attempts, so based on his percentage that means he likely would’ve made 4 out of those 6 free throws and he wasn’t the only player on the team that made poor decisions on shot selection today.
Ok hypotheticaly if Tre doesn’t miss the dunk the games tied before lol... the point is it’s not smart to rely on a foul call when you shoot 65% from the line to tie a game in the final secounds! :)

I want RJ with the ball in his hands at the end. Did he make the right decisions tonight? No, but he's our go-to clutch player. Probably the best one in the nation.
You and me both. If not him in that situation, Cam. If anything he should of pulled up in the paint because he had lost his defender but drove too deep. It's all good.

I love K but those last posessions are on him. NBA 1on1 iso's are pure junk. Hope to never see that end of game situation again.

Squad didn't quit & this will humble them as well.

This 1000 times. They did not quit. Execution was bad at the end, but they did not quit. Just stinks that one of my favorite Duke teams is the first one to lose in Maui.

Some bashing Ks decisions

Some blaming refs....as usual in a loss

Other saying RJ is selfish

Geez people we lost to a damn good team by 2 points and had a chance at the end to tie or win it

RELAX....long long season and it's just November...a long time until March/April
Same people exaggerating criticism too? lmao nobody’s panicking

Bilas tries so hard to not come across as a Duke homer, he tries his best to not say anything
Pro-Duke. He needs to learn from Kirk Herbstriet!

No threes are needed last minute when you have Zion. That’s a weapon that must be used. Especially because he was all in at that point. He was rolling.

Duke failed the Maui test. They didn’t look solid for three straight games. The defense was at least serviceable against SDSU. Auburn made tough shots against decent defense (outside of Tre, he was great on D). Tonight, Duke just let Gonzaga impose their will. Oh well.

I would have rather Tre or Zion with the ball either driving to score or driving and kicking to Cam for the 3. Zion would’ve been the best option because he can’t be stop going to the goal plus he doesn’t hesitate to kick it. Tre is a Jones so that’s why I trust him to have the ball. I just know RJ should’ve been standing in the corner. He had his 3 chances prior and he blew it.

Some bashing Ks decisions

Some blaming refs....as usual in a loss

Other saying RJ is selfish

Geez people we lost to a damn good team by 2 points and had a chance at the end to tie or win it

RELAX....long long season and it's just November...a long time until March/April
I have a feeling RJ will become the new Trevon Duval when Duke loose a game. My goodness.

Not worried at all. Team is really good. You are gonna lose games during the year; losing one as a team with such prominent freshmen against a veteran team far from home in the third game in three days by two after being down by a lot the whole way, easing some of the ridiculous hype and making the new guys realized that you can lose, all while creating the motivation of not losing a “championship” again… eh, I’m fine with it.

I am not even mad or upset....not even a little, and I really don't know why? Maybe because I never expected to go undefeated, and I am still SO confident that we are EVERYBODY'S nightmare come March. For some reason, this is the best I have handled a loss in a very long time.

Reactions: Mac9192
I am not even mad or upset....not even a little, and I really don't know why? Maybe because I never expected to go undefeated, and I am still SO confident that we are EVERYBODY'S nightmare come March. For some reason, this is the best I have handled a loss in a very long time.
Lol, I was laughing and telling the wife I love this loss, only because of the heart they showed. They could of folded and gave up so many times.

Reactions: DukefanKY
I still handle it like a B!! :)

They had to shoot 58% from 3 to beat a young Duke team by 2. The last few years Duke has been overhyped. Not this year. This was a quality L for Duke but college bball better be ready in March. This team will only get better (and older).

Big picture fellas, big picture.

But they have an elite shooting big on the bench who would have been a further mis-match for our guys. So, they are likely to improve by March as well.

He shook Perkins well on that final play. He just over-penetrated; he should have shot midlane, he was completely free.

I'm freaking hyped for Tues. Get the boys home safe, remind them they are the first team to loose in Maui and walk out of the gym lol

Yeah sure....a good but of duke fans panic every time they lose a game

And always count on a few blaming refs in a loss too
Usually why I tend to not read these game day threads until a day or so passes and only the last page of it so I don’t see that group and get annoyed and lose my sh!T. They tend to disappear after the dust settles and i get to read what my reliable posters say. Hahah

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT