ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS FLORIDA STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Lot of elbow sets where a big gets the ball at the free throw line extended, wings curl, leading to a pick and roll. Quite a few options within that set (back door cuts, other big drops down low for a big to big pass with the paint less congested, etc), but most often its a hand off to wing/guard for pick and roll situation. Obviously we also like the isos.

I'm worried about this game because of their size and athleticism. Hopeful that our skill can help offset it.
Thanks. I missed the game. Called into work. Boxscore indicates that the offense is efficient except for too many turnovers. The team is not good at defensive rebounding. I think Banchero needs an extra break in the second half. I saw the Ohio State game. He looked exhausted at the end

We cannot get a stop when we need it. It will be tough to win close games against good teams until we learn how to this this. FSU scored at will in OT. I knew once FSU went up one we were done. We should beat Syracuse at home. After that it gets tough. Clemson, Louisville, Notre Dame, North Carolina, Virginia.

Last edited:
I agree Chris, but that shot the FSU guard made over Banchero and Williams to tie it at the end of regulations was pretty spectacular. It nearly hit the top of the backboard. When they came out and hit that 3 on their first possession of OT I figured we were done for.

I am also not so sure the ACC is as weak as some (I) thought. It sure seems like a season where almost anyone can beat almost anyone on any given night.

When you are Duke and therefore the Super Bowl of every team in the ACC, winning on the road is twice as hard. Of course, beating Baylor or Kansas or Texas Tech on the road is no picnic so Big 12 teams have it a lot harder.

I agree Chris, but that shot the FSU guard made over Banchero and Williams to tie it at the end of regulations was pretty spectacular. It nearly hit the top of the backboard. When they came out and hit that 3 on their first possession of OT I figured we were done for.

I am also not so sure the ACC is as weak as some (I) thought. It sure seems like a season where almost anyone can beat almost anyone on any given night.
Alan I agree on the shot to tie the game. The degree of difficulty was pretty high to make it. I don't fault K for going man from the zone either, because FSU was likely planning strategy for the zone during its timeout.

On the whole however, I agree with Chris at least over course of last few games: getting a stop, with a one possession lead vs FSU and Miami has been near impossible and frustrating for a Duke fan to watch. I don't know the answer, but I do think more zone is needed overall.

In closing I think your point about the league is a valid one. The ACC sure seems tougher. Miami and FSU look to be impacting the conference race for certain, and are gaining confidence off big wins over us.
Thanks, OFC

I had a discussion this morning with a friend, and he made the point that he thinks the ACC as a whole is down, but the teams are more tightly packed this year than in any recent year. That made sense to me.

Reactions: hart2chesson
We cannot get a stop when we need it. It will be tough to win close games against good teams until we learn how to this this. FSU scored at will in OT. I knew once FSU went up one we were done. We should beat Syracuse at home. After that it gets tough. Clemson, Louisville, Notre Dame, North Carolina, Virginia.
I had a discussion this morning with a friend, and he made the point that he thinks the ACC as a whole is down, but the teams are more tightly packed this year than in any recent year. That made sense to me.
What’s frustrating is that here Duke sits at 4 and 2 in acc and teams that looked mediocre at best like Virginia and Wake only percentage points worse at 5 and 3. Oh yeh and we have the same conf record as Carolina

I hear you KD. A 2 point loss to Miami, and a one point loss at FSU are hard to swallow. I still think the winner of the ACC regular season will have 4 losses.

Oh, and at least we didn't get thrashed by 30 at Miami!

The NC state and Miami ass whoopings back to back at home were true losses? Lol
Yes they were. During that span they were also playing not to their potential and it caught up with them. This team has yet to play one game as a unit to their full potential.

Reactions: KDSTONE
When you are Duke and therefore the Super Bowl of every team in the ACC, winning on the road is twice as hard. Of course, beating Baylor or Kansas or Texas Tech on the road is no picnic so Big 12 teams have it a lot harder.
What is this ,” Super bowl” stuff. Miami and FSU always play Duke hard. That’s not a super bowl that was good game execution by a well deserving team. They executed Duke didn’t . that’s nothing to do with a super bowl.

Changing from the zone to a man to man at the end of regulation did not make sense. Same thing beat Duke vs Miami. Middle is open and guy drives right and makes layup.
AJ screwed up not guarding 3 PT shooter after they broke the press in OT. To give up 3 pts in seven seconds is not winning basketball. I like what Moore has done at Duke but he is not a NBA player
the way he is playing since Christmas.
I would love for a reporter to ask K why he changed from the zone. That questions needs to be asked.
Down two you switch to man because a three beats you.Man gives u much better defense against the three.The FSU player hit a difficult shot over probably the best shot blocking center in the country.Would take my chances on him not making the tying shot

Down two you switch to man because a three beats you.Man gives u much better defense against the three.The FSU player hit a difficult shot over probably the best shot blocking center in the country.Would take my chances on him not making the tying shot
Ditto

We just outscore teams now. Its like whoever has the ball last in close games, although clearly that doesn't work more than it does. Moore needs to step up, he has been a turnover machine in ACC play. Not what we need from our only junior. He looks like last year Moore recently.

Agree on Moore. I have NOT even come close to giving up on him, and in my mind we have him back for a senior campaign. He played better at FSU, but he needs to string some games together. It's frustrating as a fan and I am sure to him and the staff too to have opened the season so strong only to struggle in conference play. We need his leadership and his game to make a nice run this year.

Like many recent years we don't seem to have THAT guy who demands the ball at the end of tight games to make winning shots. I guess Barrett did, but as great a scorer as he was, he didn't finish games strong. :(

Agree on Moore. I have NOT even come close to giving up on him, and in my mind we have him back for a senior campaign. He played better at FSU, but he needs to string some games together. It's frustrating as a fan and I am sure to him and the staff too to have opened the season so strong only to struggle in conference play. We need his leadership and his game to make a nice run this year.
A real X-factor for sure....It's time for Wendell, as a junior to put consistently solid performances together. Hopefully Wednesday's ending wakes him up, and things get more cohesive for us.

OFC

Reactions: AlanInNJ
He was consistent this year prior to the covid pause. He just seems like he has lost a half a step, and his confidence. If Keels misses any time, it is imperative that he steps up.

Which points to inexperience and the lack of growth when players only practice and play with each other a few months before they bolt to the NBA.
Agree but in today’s world it is a damned if do or damned if you don’t recruit the OAD talent.Keas heavily criticized when he was not getting the top level talent in the early 2000, to 2005 era.Fans cannot have it both ways.We will have to live with the losses that come with inexperience and hope that we get a few kids that stick around long enough to develop like Scheyer and Nolan did

I don't know if it's been reported elsewhere, but did you see Penny Hardaway's rant about the media being unfair to him because his team is underachieving? I can't embed it but it's worth a look.

Coaching these teams top heavy with young, highly rated players is not for the weak of heart. Penny's feeling the pressure for sure after a highly ranked incoming class, and I can't blame him for lashing out a bit. It makes me appreciate K even more for being able to maintain his composure.

Which points to inexperience and the lack of growth when players only practice and play with each other a few months before they bolt to the NBA.
To me, the biggest problem for the last few years is the absence of a quality point guard. Someone who can shoot reliably, make the right passes, guard the opposing team's point, and drive the lane. Difficult to bring in an OAD point guard and expect him to do all of those things well from the get-go. Without a true , reliable point guard we are forced to have shooting guards and small forwards bring the ball up, forcing them to play a hybrid position which is antithetical to a smooth operation. I did not think I would ever say this, but I wish Goldwire was still here. I just cannot understand why we cannot recruit and train a proper PG. Maybe the answer is to stay away from OAD PG's in favor of kids who can be properly incorporated into our system over time. OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Coaching these teams top heavy with young, highly rated players is not for the weak of heart. Penny's feeling the pressure for sure after a highly ranked incoming class, and I can't blame him for lashing out a bit. It makes me appreciate K even more for being able to maintain his composure.

Is this what you're talking about or is there another?

Really don’t see anything wrong with it. He’s being direct and we all know some sports writers can get carried away .

Really don’t see anything wrong with it. He’s being direct and we all know some sports writers can get carried away .
Me either. But it does make you wonder if a) the man can coach and b) if he can judge talent or c) both. It reminds me of coach cal recruiting all the OADs and then whining after a loss about his team has no experience. K has stayed away from it imho but has flirted with it at times

You want talent. You can’t win without it. But, and here’s where the subject gets heated, can you have too much?
I think the answer is yes, especially in this era we are in with OAD’s. Duke doesn’t lack in the talent department, but chemistry is another subject.

Which is why we have fallen short since 2015. Maybe the most talented team K has had the last 10+ seasons was the 17-18 team. That team won purely on talent, and still lost 8 games and didn’t win the acc.

You could argue that Elite Eight is the ceiling for us with the one and done approach. 2015 was different; we had Quinn and Matt and Amile and Marshall all in the rotation. I know we were a shot away from the FF but we also let teams hang around and had to rely on last second heroics which doesn't seem to be our forte lately. I don't think this team will get past the sweet 16 unless we get help from teams losing. We have too many issues. We're still a good team. The only shot we have is if Moore regains his first semester form and AJ becomes consistent. I also think Keels may shoot us out of a tournament game. He is a good defender and playmaker but he seems to have a green light to shoot whenever he wants. We need to get the ball to banchero more.

Last edited:
We still can, but we've lost 2 of 4 and seem to be regressing a bit. I don't think we'd beat Gonzaga or Kentucky right now. But we can still right the ship. These next 2 weeks are crucial. If we lose to North Carolina I'm going to be furious. No reason we should. It is a weak ACC, we should not be getting swept by the Florida teams. A convincing win Saturday is what we need.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT