ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS FLORIDA STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
This should be a fun one. In spite of the fact that FSU is down, tonight's contest in Tallahassee is one that I always look forward to on the yearly calendar.

A little like Miami, the Seminoles have always played us well whether it be in Cameron or in the Tucker Center, we're always going to get a fight.

The Noles' road this year has been a strange one. Wins over Miami and Louisville and then blowout losses at Wake, Florida and Purdue.

This clearly isn't some of the Florida State teams of past years, but I guarantee they'll still guard you and you can just about guarantee it'll be a grinder.

At the time of posting, Duke is a -5 point favorite, which I think we'll cover, but I'm not as confident about it as I have been the last four, but still like it. If we play like we did in the second half of the Wake and NC State games, we will.

Tonight's game is slated to tip at 9pm est and will air on ESPN.

Duke 71

Florida State 63

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know much about fsu this year. Only thing I have read about is they are long but young unlike past teams. Hopefully we rebound and stay out of foul trouble.

Duke 69
FSU 62

It will be interesting to see if Coach K matches FSU's size and plays the big team, or takes advantage of quickness and goes more with the smaller team. Probably a little of both to see which one works better.

I think Duke can take this one if the bigs stay out of foul trouble and we hit some shots.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
FSU always seems to be a HUGE team. I don't know where Hamilton finds these players, but they always field a tall, strong, long, athletic team. I think NC State was a good warmup for Williams and John. We are going to need them to match and and bang inside. If we are hitting outside shots, we win by 12+. If we are cold from 3 it's a tight one.

Duke 78
FSU 73

Duke 71
FSU 63

On the Packer and Durham Show this morning Wes Durham (Woody's boy) said of the four games today the only visiting team that would lose will be Duke. He's a cheater fan born and raised. He's always slamming Duke.

OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
Duke and we continue to improve on offense.

I'm surprised that the spread is only 5. Florida State appears to be way off form this year.

UNC is favored by 2.5 at Miami. UNC has played very few close games. If it comes down to the wire, advantage to Miami with their excellent perimeter players

Reactions: Devilinside
I'm surprised that the spread is only 5. Florida State appears to be way off form this year.

UNC is favored by 2.5 at Miami. UNC has played very few close games. If it comes down to the wire, advantage to Miami with their excellent perimeter players
and Miami's coaching. OFC

Yes, coaching definitely. Any coach who takes George Mason to a Final Four such as Larranaga is amazing. UNC's only close games this year were a 5point loss at Notre Dame and a 7 point win against Brown

If someone can explain the Duke offense, I would appreciate it. To me, it doesn't look like there are any sets or rules. It looks like the goal is to get matchups for Banchero, Griffin and Keels. But if that were the goal, there would be clearouts and overloading.

Anyway, it's effective. The offense is ranked #10 by kenpom. I'll watch more closely tonight, but if someone has insight to what to look for, I would appreciate it

Our offense continues to be highly efficient (according to metrics) even though it is not the free flowing motion offense that we used to see.

Our offense continues to be highly efficient (according to metrics) even though it is not the free flowing motion offense that we used to see.
Refresh my memory. When did Coach part ways with the motion offense and was it gradual over a few years or more sudden like in one offseason?

If someone can explain the Duke offense, I would appreciate it. To me, it doesn't look like there are any sets or rules. It looks like the goal is to get matchups for Banchero, Griffin and Keels. But if that were the goal, there would be clearouts and overloading.

Anyway, it's effective. The offense is ranked #10 by kenpom. I'll watch more closely tonight, but if someone has insight to what to look for, I would appreciate it
I try not to dwell on such things as it reminds me too much of the NBA which I avoid at all costs

Nole fan here, this game would perhaps be a bit more even if we had Osborne, who is our second leading scorer and leading rebounder. His presence on the glass and leadership are bigger issues than his scoring. Winning the last 3 has the team and fanbase feeling a lot better than it was 2 weeks ago.

I see this being a game where we have to make it ugly and really play a war of attrition. Getting any of your starters into foul trouble would be a good start, and we play comfortably 10 different guys but 12 could be called upon in spurts. Playing a press the majority of the game and making you eat clock will hopefully be part of our strategy.

That being said, we are going to need to make some outside shots and hope that you don't find too much success from there. We just shot 12-20 against Syracuse, so hopefully we can trend that direction even if the percentage isn't so high. I think we will be able to turn you over from time to time but also expect Banchero to create a lot of havoc and make some wow plays. We have a pretty good freshman ourselves in Cleveland who has continued to improve, and our guards have to be our strength, especially at the point where I think we should have an advantage over Roach

This is going to be a game of desperation tonight for us. Without this win, a tournament berth seems like a real long shot unless we get hot in the ACCT. Just not enough left on the schedule and OOC wasn't a good time this year with youth, injury and COVID. Hope its a great game and we both come out healthy

Reactions: sheyduke
Not familiar with this FSU team. Just checked the roster and it looks like there are 5/6 players who are 6 ft 7. Hope Osborne is back soon.

Not familiar with this FSU team. Just checked the roster and it looks like there are 5/6 players who are 6 ft 7. Hope Osborne is back soon.
I think they are the second tallest team in the ACC next to Duke.
I think it will be the same starting lineup as the past two games, with Roach coming off the bench.

Without Ngom and Osborne, we still have plenty of size, but the inside players don't play a ton of minutes. McLeod can finish around the rim, but isn't a great rebounder even at 7 ft 4. Ballard isn't much of a scorer, but he can play well within the defense. We're going to have to find a way to get some minutes out of each of them.

The other 7 footer on the roster is Butler and he is a solid offensive player, but not a prime time player yet. He won't be at the 5 unless something crazy happens.

Lot of elbow sets where a big gets the ball at the free throw line extended, wings curl, leading to a pick and roll. Quite a few options within that set (back door cuts, other big drops down low for a big to big pass with the paint less congested, etc), but most often its a hand off to wing/guard for pick and roll situation. Obviously we also like the isos.

I'm worried about this game because of their size and athleticism. Hopeful that our skill can help offset it.

Reactions: geddoughton23
I really really REALLY enjoy baker driving more. I don’t care if he looks slow doing it. MORE

Moore is just not playing his best basketball. Too many bad passes.
Moore has yet to recover from the Covid pause , imo. Why didn’t anyone run up to help Paolo on that last play?

Thank goodness baker at least made him turn and not get that shot off. Enjoying watching him play more. Who cares if he screws up. Let him develop confidence . Looking solid so far in my book.

FSU always gives us a tough game....tonight is no different...everyone's Superbowl!

Thank goodness baker at least made him turn and not get that shot off. Enjoying watching him play more. Who cares if he screws up. Let him develop confidence . Looking solid so far in my book.
My thoughts as well, Baker having a good game.

If Duke doesn’t win it all, there’s nobody I’d like to see win it than Coach Hamilton. What a classy guy.

5 point lead at the half is good. If we want to win the acc, these are the type of games we need to win. We need to cut down on turnovers. Excuse time is over.

Wish PB had driven left as half ended and drawn Baker’s man towards him freeing Baker up for a 3.
I think we will see more driving to the basket by AJ , Moore and Keels. Roach played well defensively.

I agree on Hamilton. Pure class and I like his rotation use. His defense always gives Duke fits as we see in this game. Going to be a tough second half and adding to what Chris said,” Cut back on the turnovers and limit their offensive rebounds!”

Reactions: christophero
Doesn’t make any sense we continue to go these stretches in games of four - six minutes without scoring.
Palo should get a post touch and score or foul every time we get in them and he never even touches the ball.

There is no way Duke teaches boxing out . They continued to get killed on offensive rebounds .

Reactions: ioliva
Doesn’t make any sense we continue to go these stretches in games of four - six minutes without scoring.
Palo should get a post touch and score or foul every time we get in them and he never even touches the ball.
They are trapping Paolo . He’s not getting back in the paint much tonight.

No point guard. Poor rebounding. I think it is time cut back the pressure and clog the middle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT