ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS FLORIDA STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I don't think there is a magic formula for success with OAD's. All that having OAD's means is that you are trading experience for talent. You still need talent at every position. If we had a Hurley or Tyus at PG this year I think we would be a final four team. But everyone has a flaw. Look at Purdue. I thought they were the best team and they are having hiccups too.

I have no problem trying to recruit as much talent as possible. It's much more exciting than hoping a bunch of guys rated 60th might develop in a few years. And I don't think you can have it both ways because the 60th rated guy won't stick around.

Reactions: christophero
I just do not understand the freaking out over seeding, beating UNC etc at this time. So many games ahead, so many opportunities to get better. You all really shorten the season and fun looking that far ahead! It was not long ago, pre covid break, IMO we were or on the verge of being the best team in the country. Zero doubt we can and will get back to that. There is no "dominant" team this year, Duke could have been that team but it does not seem like we will get there. One thing that I have learned through the OAD era is that the young guys tend to sluff a bit and get content quick BUT they really seem to raise up on the big stage when needed. (UK, ZAGS) and let talent take over. We could drop 5 more games like FSU and Miami and although less likely and more concerning -still very very easily win a title. Lot of very good, old, tough, gritty teams this year - the covid rule is in full effect not gonna be easy rather a 1 seed or 4 or if we beat UNC 0 or 3X

Sat is looking far enough ahead for me - Looking for a clean, crisp, dialed in team effort. NEED DELL AT HIS BEST

GO DUKE

Recollection is the enemy of truth. A truly vicious cycle we go through after every, single, loss. People misremembering or misrepresenting the past to try and explain what they think they’re seeing now.

None of the issues I saw in our losses against Miami or FSU had anything to do with youth or experience. Nor does this team not have leadership and experience issues. So those fallacies can take a lap.

We’ve lost our games pretty simply- poor scheming on defensive rebounding and boneheaded turnovers- many of which are coming from guys who’ve got plenty of experience. We’ve got everything we need to win a title this year and we are going through a stretch now that is a little bumpy. No big deal, it happens.

Predicting our ceiling in the field of 64, one and done tournament is one of the biggest pet peeves I have of fans. There are so many factors that play into any tournament run that come into play before you even put the ball up- location, timing, injuries, matchups, upsets, etc. You try and out yourself in the best position possible to be ready for everything and even then it’s hardly perfect. Enjoy the damn ride.

Well I think I am honest and I don't think I am disrespectful. We have the same issues every year lately. I said they can be fixed, and I didn't declare the season over. I certainly don't tell others how to be fans. But saying everything is okay is not helping things either. Coaches point out flaws all the time. But I do notice patterns, and it can be frustrating. We all want our team to be great.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
You want talent. You can’t win without it. But, and here’s where the subject gets heated, can you have too much?
I think the answer is yes, especially in this era we are in with OAD’s. Duke doesn’t lack in the talent department, but chemistry is another subject.

Which is why we have fallen short since 2015. Maybe the most talented team K has had the last 10+ seasons was the 17-18 team. That team won purely on talent, and still lost 8 games and didn’t win the acc.
Great teams have players satisfied with their roles Lance Thomas had talent but he didn’t demand the ball or take dumb shots. He knew his forte was defense and cleaning the glass. As Bear Bryant said when asked why his team was struggling: “we have weeds that think they’re flowers and flowers that think they’re weeds”

If we're honest, over the last several seasons, Duke doesn't have a reputation for playing it's best ball going into the ncaa tournament. I can't recall the experts saying "Duke is really coming together at the right time."

I don’t have any issue with predicting Dukes out in the NCAA tournament. But Timo your right , this Duke team issues are their own. There is no way they should be giving up all these offensive rebounds. Then commit so many turnovers.
If I had a fan statement I can’t stand it’s always ,” Every teams super bowl and there is plenty of time to right the ship. March is right around the corner ! January is almost over and with this Duke team it’s night and day .

When I say we are a sweet 16 team I am just speaking to the level of team we have at the moment imo. Of course things can change and of course I don't know what can happen. We have had teams that have improved, and teams that have peaked in December. This year could go either way. We havent even gotten into the teeth of our ACC schedule yet. The next 2 weeks will be telling.

Well I think I am honest and I don't think I am disrespectful. We have the same issues every year lately. I said they can be fixed, and I didn't declare the season over. I certainly don't tell others how to be fans. But saying everything is okay is not helping things either. Coaches point out flaws all the time. But I do notice patterns, and it can be frustrating. We all want our team to be great.
The common retort. Chris I’m not picking on you, I’m saying my issues are with things that fans do time after time that are misrepresenting the past. Making blanket statements. I pointed out our two biggest issues- defensive weak side rebounding and boneheaded turnovers. Outside of health, I see those as our only major obstacles. Sure one cold shooting night could knock out anyone. But that doesn’t mean we have some imaginary ceiling that doesn’t exist.

Let’s talk about the past though-

Last year- historically inept, something we haven’t seen from a K team in 25 years (if ever).

Year prior- we were trending and had all the pieces everyone is complaining about- a stud soph PG, shooters, big men, and a secret weapon. Season cancelled.

Year prior- we are a min away from the final four. The Zion injury (foot situation) derailed a team that was chugging along. Our issues I thought were schematic not experience.

Year prior- we had all sorts chemistry issues and were still a roll away from the final four.

Year prior- have more injuries and bad luck, you can’t. We had a historic run through the ACCT, get screwed in seeding and where we were placed. That’s both unlucky and unfortunate.

Year prior- that team had a ceiling. We’re a blast to root for but much of that is because we knew they were an underdog team after the one that won it all.

When I say we are a sweet 16 team I am just speaking to the level of team we have at the moment imo. Of course things can change and of course I don't know what can happen. We have had teams that have improved, and teams that have peaked in December. This year could go either way. We havent even gotten into the teeth of our ACC schedule yet. The next 2 weeks will be telling.
I don’t think we have even come close to peaking yet. This team can and will continue to grow.

Going back to Timo's analysis of the last 6 years, the only year we arguably weren't in the running for the title was the Ingram/Grayson year. Show me another school that was as consistently in the mix all those years. In this era of parity (and OAD which resets the competition each year) there is nobody as consistent. And that's what makes Duke unique, in my opinion.

Reactions: timo0402
Keels listed as "doubtful" for Syracuse. We should beat Syracuse unless they shoot out of their minds: we will need Keels more next week. Could we finally see Blakes in a meaningful game? If he can't get in with Keels out...I'd like to see him guard Girard.

Last edited:
Reactions: timo0402 and Liftee
Going back to Timo's analysis of the last 6 years, the only year we arguably weren't in the running for the title was the Ingram/Grayson year. Show me another school that was as consistently in the mix all those years. In this era of parity (and OAD which resets the competition each year) there is nobody as consistent. And that's what makes Duke unique, in my opinion.
Amen, my friend. Well stated.

The common retort. Chris I’m not picking on you, I’m saying my issues are with things that fans do time after time that are misrepresenting the past. Making blanket statements. I pointed out our two biggest issues- defensive weak side rebounding and boneheaded turnovers. Outside of health, I see those as our only major obstacles. Sure one cold shooting night could knock out anyone. But that doesn’t mean we have some imaginary ceiling that doesn’t exist.

Let’s talk about the past though-

Last year- historically inept, something we haven’t seen from a K team in 25 years (if ever).

Year prior- we were trending and had all the pieces everyone is complaining about- a stud soph PG, shooters, big men, and a secret weapon. Season cancelled.

Year prior- we are a min away from the final four. The Zion injury (foot situation) derailed a team that was chugging along. Our issues I thought were schematic not experience.

Year prior- we had all sorts chemistry issues and were still a roll away from the final four.

Year prior- have more injuries and bad luck, you can’t. We had a historic run through the ACCT, get screwed in seeding and where we were placed. That’s both unlucky and unfortunate.

Year prior- that team had a ceiling. We’re a blast to root for but much of that is because we knew they were an underdog team after the one that won it all.
This is why I used Eeyore as my avatar for a while

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT