ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS APPALACHIAN STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
This one is going to be short and sweet because I’m on my phone….

I don’t know much about The Mountaineers, other than its record at 6-5 and they really don’t have a good win yet, outside of maybe Furman.

Add that to the fact that they’ve played all low major, and D2 schools to start the year and it feels like a recipe for a blow out.

The spread is a little bit lower than it has been at -21.5 right now, but if we play like we did last night, we’ll win and cover.

Tonight‘s game is set to tip at 7 PM EST and will air on ESPN2.

Duke 92

Appalachian State 65

GO DUKE!!!!

He is one of the least impressive television analysts I have ever seen.

Why do UNC people get away with being homers but as soon as a Duke guy says something nice about Duke they are blasted for being a homer? I mean that's what made Jay Bilas the way he is.

He is one of the least impressive television analysts I have ever seen.

Why do UNC people get away with being homers but as soon as a Duke guy says something nice about Duke they are blasted for being a homer? I mean that's what made Jay Bilas the way he is.
That was a short NBA career

Didn't catch the game but it sounds like we played good offensively, and so so defensively. Still a good win. AJ and Baker both had good games, and Theo was back. Moore was the star with another 20 point performance, and Roach and Keels looked good.

Didn't catch the game but it sounds like we played good offensively, and so so defensively. Still a good win. AJ and Baker both had good games, and Theo was back. Moore was the star with another 20 point performance, and Roach and Keels looked good.
Yeah thats a good synopsis Chris. One thing we must do better (and I am sure its been discussed) is REBOUND! I don't want to see The Cheats beat us for instance by repeated tip-backs, and 2nd chance 3s. OFC

Is it because Williams and Banchero are sub par rebounders? I heard Banchero was benched for a stretch because of a weak drive. Williams as well. It didn't matter last night but coach is preparing them for the ACC, when it will matter. And the tournament. 9 and 1 is very good, and AJ and Baker playing consistently well raises our ceiling. And Roach seems to be slowly improving. One thing I read on DBR is that Keels always drives to one side, and teams have figured that out. He will need to adjust.

Couple things I didn't like even though we won easy....

Rebounding needs to improve.

We shot 30 3's. Yes we were hot but we're not a 3 pointing shooting team. That's 2 games in a row we shot alot of 3's. Just hoping we don't get 3 happy.

Game tomorrow canceled again. A long list of schools who don't play tomorrow so let's make it happen. Saw on Twitter William & Mary or UMBC might play us.

Reactions: christophero
At least we have a good record and a win over the #1 team (at the time) and Kentucky on our resume in case the season is shortened. Trying not to go there yet but things seem to be getting worse again. Hopefully just a one off. Or 2 off in this case.

Agree with the others that say our rebounding needs to improve. The other thing that I've noticed, and maybe I'm wrong, but Banchero, who's very skilled, seems a little soft.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I wouldn't say soft but he does seem like more of a finesse player than his 250 pounds would suggest. And his shot selection and defense/rebounding need to improve if we're going to make a deep run. It might, but it might not. He's having a very good season so far, but he has not been the dominant player many predicted in the preseason, other than a few games. But neither was Tatum at first. Luckily guys like Moore and Keels have stepped up so we don't really need him to be dominant, at least not yet. I think he has another gear and once he finds that and gets comfortable, he can be unstoppable.

Last edited:
Agree with the others that say our rebounding needs to improve. The other thing that I've noticed, and maybe I'm wrong, but Banchero, who's very skilled, seems a little soft.
There’s definitely room for improvement for Banchero as far as finishing strong in traffic.

ALL of you @Mac9192, @christophero, @GillJET, @timritterus make good Banchero observations. Sometimes to me he seems to be a little detached from the action???

Perhaps he doesnt need he feels
to take the bull by the horns, and is deferring more to Moore, Keels, etc? Maybe it takes us getting pushed a little for Paolo to really change into Superman? I may be expecting too much, but we were bombarded with Banchero hype prior to the season.

Whatever, I still think he'll really bring it for conference play and kick it into the next gear. We not only need his scoring, but REBOUNDING TOO! OFC

I had to be careful in how I worded my post as Banchero is very good and is only a freshman. Moore emerging as the alpha may have something to do with this. But we may need him to take over at some point in the season, or in a sweet 16 or elite 8 when the shots aren't falling, and we may need him to take over a game. He is certainly capable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT