ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden trending for Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't get where people think there is a log jam at Duke at his position and not at UK.

I think both of our teams are going to be great next season. But on a unbiased opinion, do y'all not think Bolden want have competition at UK.

Me personally, I think he'll have more competition at UK than Duke. But that's just my homer opinion. ;)

Ha, fair enough. Just looked at my post history...

I'm actually a pretty casual duke fan (graduated many years ago). My point - clearly not well made - is that if a guy who sees himself as a 1AD comes to Duke as the 7th or 8th best player, he won't get a lot of time and be frustrated. Especially for a guy who appears to be on the fence about Duke to begin with, that seems like a bad thing. I only brought up UK because that happens to be his other option, and Cal will play Bolden more than K might.
No way you have an undergrad degree. Must be a grad degree of some sort.

Reactions: Baller224
I really don't get where people think there is a log jam at Duke at his position and not at UK.

I think both of our teams are going to be great next season. But on a unbiased opinion, do y'all not think Bolden want have competition at UK.

Me personally, I think he'll have more competition at UK than Duke. But that's just my homer opinion. ;)
Coach K will start Amile and Harry. Cal may actually start Bolden.

So, if Bolden is better than Amile and Harry during practices, you still think Coach K still sets Bolden on the bench?
He would get minutes, but K is loyal to those who came first. He may sit Harry if the difference was clear, but no way Amile sits unless he himself elects to.

He would get minutes, but K is loyal to those who came first. He may sit Harry if the difference was clear, but no way Amile sits unless he himself elects to.
I think Amile will probably share time with Harry and Marques. I think there will be times where we'll see Amile at the 5 and Harry at the 4 and other times where we'll see Marques at the 5 and Amile at the 4 and also times where we'll see Marques at the 5 and Harry at the 4. I think it'll depend on game situations and when the 3 of them need a breather. Depending on how much improvement he makes between now and when the season starts, Chase could fit into the scenario somewhere.

Reactions: DukeDenver
If bolden comes in and is better than Amile he will start no questions asked. We aren't cryolina

Agreed. See Paulus. Though, I frankly think that Amile will end up being the starting b/c I suspect that the team will play better with him out there. And I say that not b/c Amile may be a vastly superior player to Bolden in a vacuum, but b/c the starting unit will be in need of veteran leadership (I'm not sure Grayson is the right guy for that role) + provide a defensive anchor on the backline to try and clean up mistakes by the younger guys. That's just not a role that Bolden can play. If we had a team of 4 jrs. or srs., I think Bolden's chances of starting over Amile would actually be better.

Agreed. See Paulus. Though, I frankly think that Amile will end up being the starting b/c I suspect that the team will play better with him out there. And I say that not b/c Amile may be a vastly superior player to Bolden in a vacuum, but b/c the starting unit will be in need of veteran leadership (I'm not sure Grayson is the right guy for that role) + provide a defensive anchor on the backline to try and clean up mistakes by the younger guys. That's just not a role that Bolden can play. If we had a team of 4 jrs. or srs., I think Bolden's chances of starting over Amile would actually be better.
You don't think Grayson can play that role? He is going to be the engine to this train next year. He will be a junior all American. He's the alpha male and has earned it. He will be the leader on the floor- amile and Matt will also fill that void but make no mistake this is Grayson's team.

I think Amile will probably share time with Harry and Marques. I think there will be times where we'll see Amile at the 5 and Harry at the 4 and other times where we'll see Marques at the 5 and Amile at the 4 and also times where we'll see Marques at the 5 and Harry at the 4. I think it'll depend on game situations and when the 3 of them need a breather. Depending on how much improvement he makes between now and when the season starts, Chase could fit into the scenario somewhere.

Who is Marques. Are you talking about Bolden. I must have missed something. OFC

Hard for me to imagine that Bolden would start over or play more minutes then Amile.

The difference between the top handful of recruits and even the next 10 can often be dramatic. Even if Bolden comes in ready on day one and has more talent then Amile, when the game is on the line you would rather have a kid who fought through ups and downs over 5 years on the court over a kid hoping to leave after the season if the talent levels are close.

While Duke will Have more upside with Bolden on the roster...it doesn't automatically mean we are a better team and less court time for Jeter and others could have an effect on future years.

If he wants to come...awesome and I can't wait to see how K uses him. If he doesn't...Duke has the pieces to win in place and that is an exciting position to be in.

You don't think Grayson can play that role? He is going to be the engine to this train next year. He will be a junior all American. He's the alpha male and has earned it. He will be the leader on the floor- amile and Matt will also fill that void but make no mistake this is Grayson's team.

I think you're mistaking best and most important player with team leader. Will Grayson have a leadership role. Absolutely, he's an important player on the team and he's now one of the experienced guys. Does that necessarily mean he's the guy who'll take guys under his wings, get guys organized, inspire guys through more than his play, keep others engaged even when he's personally struggling, etc. etc. -- eh, I'm sure he'll do some of it, but not sure if that stuff is necessarily his strength. Obviously, none of us are in the lockerroom, a big part of the roster isn't even on campus yet, and none of us know how Grayson will mature as person -- so I'll concede the point that this is just speculating. With that said, other than the difference between Grayson being a jr. v. a soph., basically everything you just said about Grayson was true last year as well -- i.e., being the engine of the team, an AA, etc. applied last year. Yet, despite that, even after Amile's injury -- I rarely heard anyone say Grayson had become the team leader in any sense other than by example. The role fell on the shoulders of Marshall and, to a lesser extent, Matt. And, before you say well that's a difference in age, I would argue that if -- for instance -- Tyus was still on campus, Tyus would have been the undisputed on-court leader instead of Marshall. Also, even ignoring tripping, there were certainly some moments where Grayson not only wasn't a leader -- but needed someone to reign him in. Like, for instance, when Thornton seemed to be trying to give Grayson some quasi-encouragement / criticism after a TO against Ga Tech, I still remember Grayson giving Thornton a small shove and forcing Scheyer to intervene to get Grayson away. That doesn't really shout team leader to me.

I hate the comparisons of Grayson to Laettner -- b/c I don't think Grayson's nearly as ridiculous as Laettner was. But, I would say in this context, it is worth noting that Laettner was the engine, AA, alpha male, [fill-in generic platitude] of both title runs -- and yet I don't think anyone other Laettner (or maybe Brian Davis) would have called Laettner the leader of those teams. Hurley was the undisputed leader.

In the end of the day, I am not trying to be overly critical by any means. I think he's a fine kid and a great player. But, in this regard, everything I've seen and heard about Amile suggests to me that he's going to be the guy who gets everyone on the same page, mentors guys like Harry Giles & Tatum, rallies the troops through more than his play, etc. etc. And it's hard to fill that role from the bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukehokie
That what your wife said?!? lol j/k

superthumb_zpsdcliqnoh.jpg

If it makes everyone feel better, his coach said he would be wearing blue and white next year.

So that should tell you something;)

Who knows

Reactions: tison31
You don't want Grayson to end up like Laettner? I do. I want Grayson to end up EXACTLY like Laettner. Everybody hated him, because he was rough, mean, belligerent and an absolute WINNER.

Talk about misconstruing what I said. Everyone associates Laettner with being an @!@$#, including some of his teammates who have been very open about the rocky relationship they had with him -- and so my caveat was to say that I'm not suggesting that Grayson is disliked within the locker room. In other words, I was defending Grayson. But, as I said, while Christian Laettner was the best player on the 91-92 championship teams, he was not the leader of that team --- and that's frankly b/c it seems like a bunch of guys on the team didn't really get along with him and, at times, could barely tolerate him. And that includes Hurley and Hill. I mean, even 20 years later, Hill still basically calls Laettner a jerk and that new Hurley e-60 doc. talks about how Coach K started the 91 season by saying Hurley (a soph.) was the leader of the team, which caused Laettner (a jr.) to spend the entire season acting out against Hurley by doing stupid stuff like signing his name over Hurley's face in every Duke poster he signed. The only reason I brought up the analogy is to make the point that best player / team alpha dog / clutch player doesn't mean leader. Leadership is far more about communication and people skills than anything to do with ability.

If you want to argue Amile will be taking a backseat role to Grayson b/c Grayson's a better leader; that's fine. But my point is that a lot of times the key leader on the team is not the best player. While a couple years ago was a bit different, I think a big reason QCook ultimately won the starting job over Rasheed -- even though Sheed had a lot more natural talent as a SG -- is that K wanted to get QCook's leadership on the court and thought he would do a better job getting the best out of the young guys. While obviously that situation was a bit different b/c all of our other star players were freshmen, it stands out as another instance where the undisputed leader of the team was clearly not our most talented -- and clearly not one of our 3 or 4 most talented players. If K had just wanted to play the most talented SG we had on the roster, not sure he would have picked a 6'2 PG with short arms and limited leaping ability to start over Sheed -- who, coming out of the 2013-14 season, was arguably considered the better player and had started the previous 2 seasons.

Last edited:
Someone asked me about the bolden recruitment today and said he's going to uk.

I simply asked:

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT