ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden trending for Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of feel like these prolonged/delayed announcements slightly damage a recruit's image or "brand." I don't see the positives of doing this, so likely he just isn't sure on his choice. The only thing to change recently is Lee's status. So clearly, Bolden's rankings are 1) Lee-less UK, 2) Duke and 3) UK with Lee. So my question is, when does Lee have to commit to the draft? That's when he'll say for sure.

I kind of feel like these prolonged/delayed announcements slightly damage a recruit's image or "brand." I don't see the positives of doing this, so likely he just isn't sure on his choice. The only thing to change recently is Lee's status. So clearly, Bolden's rankings are 1) Lee-less UK, 2) Duke and 3) UK with Lee. So my question is, when does Lee have to commit to the draft? That's when he'll say for sure.

May 25. Impossible to know what's going on. But, if we're sitting in mid-May without a decision, it would certainly seem plausible to believe that Lee is the hold-up -- with Bolden going to UK if Lee stays in the draft (which he shouldn't), and Bolden otherwise going to Duke. But, this is just pure conjecture -- b/c clearly something has happened in the past few weeks to change Bolden's timeline on a commitment. With that said, it would be downright bizarre IMO if Lee stays in the draft. I am not a NBA draft expert -- but I have not seen a single reputable draft projection in the past few months that has him even getting drafted, let alone going in a slot that would make it sensible for him to declare early. Maybe it ends up like a Shav-type situation where he just ends up declaring b/c he's ready to make the jump -- irrespective of his draft stock -- but otherwise it would seem as if he should return.

Last edited:
May 25. Impossible to know what's going on. But, if we're sitting in mid-May without a decision, have to think that Lee is the hold-up -- with Bolden going to UK if Lee stays in the draft (which he shouldn't), and Bolden otherwise going to Duke. But this topic, unfortunately, has just descended into pure conjecture -- b/c clearly something has happened in the past few weeks to change Bolden's timeline and thinking on his college choice.

The Lee angle is the only reasonable conjecture with no further info. If Bolden really needs/wants 28+ minutes per game where he's getting touches, he can do it at either Duke or UK. I'm sure K is being honest with him, saying you'd only get those minutes if you can show you deserve them over the other guys in practice. Harry and Amile will each get 26-32, assuming both are a full go. For Bolden to get his desired minutes, he'll have to beat out Chase and DeLaurier, which I feel like he can do with average effort. It comes down to him wanting to be a Duke/K guy or a UK/Cal guy. I can see the draw of both. If it were my kid, I'm in favor of the more challenging path with the more proven mentor. Momma knows best, Marques.

The Lee angle is the only reasonable conjecture with no further info.

I respectfully disagree. Frankly, I think it's certainly possible that in the end, this is just a kid having a difficult time coming to a decision about a very important life choice.

If it turns out that he's just jerking everyone around, then that sucks. But I can't say for sure that I would be much more decisive if I were in the same situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: pisgah101
I respectfully disagree. Frankly, I think it's certainly possible that in the end, this is just a kid having a difficult time coming to a decision about a very important life choice.

If it turns out that he's just jerk in everyone around, then that sucks. But I can't say for sure that I would be much more decisive if I were in the same situation.

Well, couple points. He was responding to my post, where I said the Lee angle may start to seem like the sensible explanation if we're still sitting without a decision in mid-May. Certainly possible that Lee's not a key factor and he elects to make the decision in the next week or so. Further, even it is about Lee, I'm not sure waiting for Lee is really jerking anyone around. Plenty of kids make their college decision based on depth charts -- and it certainly seems as if Bolden is paying a lot of attention to that as well.

Well, couple points. He was responding to my post, where I said the Lee angle may start to seem like the sensible explanation if we're still sitting without a decision in mid-May. Certainly possible that Lee's not a key factor and he elects to make the decision in the next week or so. Further, even it is about Lee, I'm not sure waiting for Lee is really jerking anyone around. Plenty of kids make their college decision based on depth charts -- and it certainly seems as if Bolden is paying a lot of attention to that as well.

Fair enough. I have no issues with anyone's thoughts on it and apologize if I made it sound that way. I just feel like there are some people that are deciding he's not a guy they want based on the amount of time it takes him to make/announce the decision. I don't think you or Denver are those people, but figured I'd just chime in, haha.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I think he's having an identity crisis and seeing DT bolt isn't helping. We're talking very different programs he is choosing between. It's got to be tough. Maybe he could talk to Okafor and Towns and see what their honest opinions are.

If I were him I'd prob be just like this. It's a tough decision... But then again if I had to chance to play for possibly the greatest coach of all time regardless of sport it wouldn't be as tough.

Reactions: 2 skerz 3
He's not jerking anyone around IMO, he's waiting on Lee. IMO Lee is gone either way, whether it's to go undrafted/international, or grad transfer route. Bolden is playing it smartly, as I suspect most here would do the same.

It's painfully obvious he's waiting for a slot to open up at UK. But Lee leaving for the draft? Is he even projected as a 2nd round pick? Personally I hope he returns and puts them in a tight spot.

Oh I didn't know he was on pace. Kinda doubt he goes that route tho cuz we know cal don't push players out

Bolden is not dragging his feet here. He is truly torn. For him to make the best decision, in his mind, he needs both the option to attend Duke or Kentucky. So for him to be waiting on Lee does make sense in order for him to not second guess his decisions down the road by the "what ifs". I, for one, will patiently wait for his decision because once he choses a program it will be where he's the happiest.

Many of my players have struggled in the same way when trying to pick a college. We all try to guide players to think reasonably and rationally, but these kids are young adults and think thinking and actions are influenced by emotions. As much as I would love for Bolden to pick Duke, I would rather he go where he's happy, Duke or Kentucky.

Lee's brother gave an interview where he pretty emphatically rejected the possibility of going the grad transfer route -- which is odd b/c I frankly think grad transfer is the most sensible choice for him if he wants to get a chance to impress NBA people (http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ll-undecided-nba-draft-brother-says/83236392/). With that said, if you listen to what Lee is saying, it does sound as if this is NBA or UK at this point -- and, while the NBA is clearly where he wants to go, it's hard to believe he'll get anything but uniform feedback that he should go back to school. But you never know. Maybe somebody will give him enough hope to stay in the draft; or he may just decide to roll the dice. From the outside, this seems like a situation where Lee is hoping against all odds that he can turn some teams around by really testing well at the combine / impressing in workouts. But I frankly think he's hoping for something that's just not going to happen. And when he gets confronted with reality, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the smart decision by staying in college. As an NBA prospect, I think Lee's athleticism makes him a bit more interesting than Jefferson -- but, frankly, Lee declaring this year makes about as much sense as if Amile had elected to declare after his jr. year.

If he goes where mommy wants, that's sad to me. If you want to go to UK, go to UK dude. Man up. Like a couple of others have mentioned here, if he WANTS to go to UK, I don't want him here either. Go the route others have flown, choose UK over Duke, crush a bunch of weakass teams in the SEC, talk $hit about how bad you will beat us in the FF, lose early, watch Duke crush the team that crushed you, see Duke celebrate #6 while you say "Damn, that coulda been me." Get a text late that night from HG saying "I told you man." ;)

Going to UK will probably get him more PT, especially with Lee gone. Not sure why that's a bad thing that a kid wants to go where he will get more PT....

If he wants to showcase his individual skills, like shot blocking and post moves, UK may be better. If he wants to emphasize how he can function as a teammate, setting screens, moving the ball, rotating on D, then it's got to be Duke and K. Both schools will show off his overall game, but certainly Duke seems to run more organized stuff. That's not to say we've not let dominant bigs have their way. Jah was certainly given a wide berth. Bolden just isn't that type of guy.

He'll have regrets either way. It's like deciding between a 2016 Z08 and fully loaded Escalade. Both are around 90K, but you'll be thinking about all the space in your tiny cockpit, or be thinking about that acceleration as you lurch away from stoplights.

He'll have regrets either way. It's like deciding between a 2016 Shelby GT350R and fully loaded Escalade. Both are around 90K, but you'll be thinking about all the space in your tiny cockpit, or be thinking about that acceleration as you lurch away from stoplights.

FYP :)

If he goes where mommy wants, that's sad to me. If you want to go to UK, go to UK dude. Man up. Like a couple of others have mentioned here, if he WANTS to go to UK, I don't want him here either. Go the route others have flown, choose UK over Duke, crush a bunch of weakass teams in the SEC, talk $hit about how bad you will beat us in the FF, lose early, watch Duke crush the team that crushed you, see Duke celebrate #6 while you say "Damn, that coulda been me." Get a text late that night from HG saying "I told you man." ;)
And hear "One Shining Moment" playing in the background.

OFC

Reactions: Showenuff
If Bolden is waiting to see what Lee does, which seems quite reasonable to presume ...

... then, part of me wishes K would call him and simply say, "It's apparent you want to go to UK. You should go to UK. If you're wanting the team where you get the most PT, then perhaps you're not cut out for Duke."

My concern with Bolden coming to Duke is that he doesn't see the playing time he's looking for. I've seen some folks talking about his contributing in '17/'18. He's gonna be in college one year if that's his goal - Draft Express has him 8th in next year's draft. His measurables are nearly unprecedented.

I'd love to see him at Duke - I think if he played 25 minutes a game he'd be the rim protector we haven't had in years, plus a rebound machine and low post presence. But Coach isn't sitting Amile, so IMHO Bolden should go to UK, where he'll get more burn, whether Lee returns or not.

My concern with Bolden coming to Duke is that he doesn't see the playing time he's looking for. I've seen some folks talking about his contributing in '17/'18. He's gonna be in college one year if that's his goal - Draft Express has him 8th in next year's draft. His measurables are nearly unprecedented.

I'd love to see him at Duke - I think if he played 25 minutes a game he'd be the rim protector we haven't had in years, plus a rebound machine and low post presence. But Coach isn't sitting Amile, so IMHO Bolden should go to UK, where he'll get more burn, whether Lee returns or not.
Dude, quit posing as a Duke fan. It's blatantly obvious you are a UK troll. Your 6 total posts have all been tooting UK's horn and in other threads saying "you don't follow Duke enough" but post here referring to Duke as "we." You aren't fooling anyone. Find something else better to do with your time.

Dude, quit posing as a Duke fan. It's blatantly obvious you are a UK troll. Your 6 total posts have all been tooting UK's horn and in other threads saying "you don't follow Duke enough" but post here referring to Duke as "we." You aren't fooling anyone. Find something else better to do with your time.

That really was a sad attempt by @thatswhatshesays haha.

I think what he's implying is that May 25 is when all college players must decide between college and the NBA.

Bolden's camp has been pretty mum on the recruitment for the duration, but it's strange how everything has went into silence-mode the last week or so.

I think what he's implying is that May 25 is when all college players must decide between college and the NBA.

Bolden's camp has been pretty mum on the recruitment for the duration, but it's strange how everything has went into silence-mode the last week or so.

hof coach roy williams has a bowl of "nanner puddin" and is headed to the Bolden's back door. With unc in the clear he's coming hard and every one is fair game. I'm not kidding. OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
Ha, fair enough. Just looked at my post history...

I'm actually a pretty casual duke fan (graduated many years ago). My point - clearly not well made - is that if a guy who sees himself as a 1AD comes to Duke as the 7th or 8th best player, he won't get a lot of time and be frustrated. Especially for a guy who appears to be on the fence about Duke to begin with, that seems like a bad thing. I only brought up UK because that happens to be his other option, and Cal will play Bolden more than K might.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT