ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden trending for Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrpross

Recruit
Feb 21, 2008
Heya Dukies! So I've been reading rumors that Bolden committed to you guys in the last couple days and will announce it soon. Second hand of course, but just curious if you guys had heard anything like this. The last 7 picks on the crystal ball are for you guys, which of course must be taken with a grain of salt, but it's worrying me about UK's chances. Y'all heard anything?

Heya Dukies! So I've been reading rumors that Bolden committed to you guys in the last couple days and will announce it soon. Second hand of course, but just curious if you guys had heard anything like this. The last 7 picks on the crystal ball are for you guys, which of course must be taken with a grain of salt, but it's worrying me about UK's chances. Y'all heard anything?
Yeah, I imagine he's committed behind closed doors but will just have formal announcement soon, maybe after one of the all American games?

I guess Bolden doesn't consider himself OAD material, then. With the talent Duke has, he isn't likely to start and could be fighting for PT.

Of course it's hard to tell. Jefferson might not be 100%. Jeter might need another year. DeLaurier is a frosh who might need a year. So it's possible Bolden could land the start - or starter minutes. But if he wants to go pro after a year, Duke doesn't seem like the right place to be. Kansas might be better (if Diallo leaves).

I figured Bolden would be one and done, with some factors to consider: with Amile's and Harry's injuries, Bolden helps them ease back into the lineup. DeLaurier, Vrank, and Jeter might not quite be ready to carry the load inside, so Bolden helps in that regard. I think he'll get solid minutes if he comes to Duke

I hope to see a little more consistency out of Chase next year.....I saw great strides late in the year to give me hope that he will be productive for us next year...If he can prove himself to be a little more consistent his natural talent will take over.

Reactions: JCColsCane
I know Duke is trending, but ultimately I would still be very surprised if he ended up in Durham because of how the entire recruitment has gone prior to just the last 48 hours. Would obviously love to have him.

Reactions: harttochesson
I know Duke is trending, but ultimately I would still be very surprised if he ended up in Durham because of how the entire recruitment has gone prior to just the last 48 hours. Would obviously love to have him.
Yeah. It's random how some guys literally had one pick five days ago and switched just yesterday; something tells me something went down to just drastically flip flop

Coached too many kids who totally shocked me with their decisions to even hazard a guess where he will end up but only know that I really want him

Reactions: DukeDenver
I think Bolden sees himself as a one-and-done player....and he certainly could be. There aren't an over-abundance of 6'10", 260lb guys with skilled post moves his age. But I hope people aren't getting their expectations carried away here, as I've seen some comparisons to Okafor....not necessarily in this thread or on this board, but it's been sprinkled about. He is not, I repeat, IS NOT anything close to the kind of player Jah came in as. He's the kind of guy who on a really good team could be somewhat featured and score 8-10 points per game and be an adequate rebounder. Again, IMO, I think a loss of Thornton is bigger than a net gain of Bolden. My reasons are 1) Thornton is a true PG in a guard-oriented offense, and 2) with more experience and seasoning, I think Amile and Chase are great options as an alternative in the post.

And FWIW, I was one of the people who just 48 hours doubted Duke's chances considerably. There has been a paradigm shift of sorts and something seems to have happened to at least make Duke a more viable option. The crystal ball stuff really didn't mean anything to me....but when some of the insiders here and on other sites do 180's in such a short period of time I feel there might be more to it. We'll see soon enough.

Again, IMO, I think a loss of Thornton is bigger than a net gain of Bolden. My reasons are 1) Thornton is a true PG in a guard-oriented offense, and 2) with more experience and seasoning, I think Amile and Chase are great options as an alternative in the post.

Agreed. I'd much rather keep Thornton than sign Bolden. With that said, my view on Thornton partly depends on Grayson. If Grayson comes back, I'm not really sure how much it really matters who we start at the point -- as we're probably going to depend on Grayson, Tatum and Giles to do most of the playmaking. If Grayson's gone, then I think we're far more dependent on the PG creating offense through dribble penetration -- as Matt Jones is not much of a creater, and Kennard doesn't look comfortable driving to create for others (at which point a transfer decision really doesn't make a ton of sense).

And FWIW, I was one of the people who just 48 hours doubted Duke's chances considerably. There has been a paradigm shift of sorts and something seems to have happened to at least make Duke a more viable option. The crystal ball stuff really didn't mean anything to me....but when some of the insiders here and on other sites do 180's in such a short period of time I feel there might be more to it. We'll see soon enough.

What have you "heard" about Grayson recently.. I saw on the main board you said you had heard some good news didn't know if it still stood that way

Or like another poster on this site you have no inside information but feel comfortable being rude and dismissive to folks with contrary opinions. A know-it-all who doesn't actually know anything just looks foolish. Humility and kindness go a long way, something I'd think a mod would encourage and practice.

Or like another poster on this site you have no inside information but feel comfortable being rude and dismissive to folks with contrary opinions. A know-it-all who doesn't actually know anything just looks foolish. Humility and kindness go a long way, something I'd think a mod would encourage and practice.

The UK fandom starting to show more clearly.....

Here we go............

I don't know too much about Bolden other than that folks have been generally saying. I suppose I can do my own research and I will but would anybody mind giving me a break down on what kind of talent this kid is? I would love some comparisons. Thanks

I don't know too much about Bolden other than that folks have been generally saying. I suppose I can do my own research and I will but would anybody mind giving me a break down on what kind of talent this kid is? I would love some comparisons. Thanks
For sure, here's ESPN's summary:

ESPN Analyst
Updated 01/20/2016

Strengths:
Bolden is a long and mobile post that runs the floor extremely well. He has excellent touch in and around the lane where he can score with either hand with excellent touch and body control for his size and Bolden loves to go over his his right shoulder with his left hand although he is right handed. He also is stronger than he appears which allows him to score through contact. He rebounds well in his area and blocks shots with his great length and athletic ability. Bolden works to deny the ball out of the low post as well.

Weaknesses:
In addition to continuing to add strength, Bolden must maintain his aggressiveness, keep his motor running and get lower when he post up in order to have a stronger post to hold his position.

Bottom Line:
Bolden is a post that can score on the block, rebound and block shots. He is mobile and athletic and a high major prospect.

I think Bolden sees himself as a one-and-done player....and he certainly could be. There aren't an over-abundance of 6'10", 260lb guys with skilled post moves his age. But I hope people aren't getting their expectations carried away here, as I've seen some comparisons to Okafor....not necessarily in this thread or on this board, but it's been sprinkled about. He is not, I repeat, IS NOT anything close to the kind of player Jah came in as. He's the kind of guy who on a really good team could be somewhat featured and score 8-10 points per game and be an adequate rebounder. Again, IMO, I think a loss of Thornton is bigger than a net gain of Bolden. My reasons are 1) Thornton is a true PG in a guard-oriented offense, and 2) with more experience and seasoning, I think Amile and Chase are great options as an alternative in the post.
I agree with most of this. I know he's not Jah offensively, but I think he can be a better rebounder, shot blocker, defender that we haven't had in a long long time. The plumlee's were all tall and athletic but not quick off two feet and they had poor timing/instincts. I also disagree that thornton is a true PG. Not sure what that means now a days, but he wasn't able to run the team, or make those around him better, or score well.

He's a combination of Chamberlain, Russell, Robinson, Shaq, and Duncan. Only better.
OFC

Reactions: dbav

T.J. Walker– ‏@TWalkerRivals

Marques Bolden says if an assistant coach were to leave at UK or Duke it would change his recruitment. He doesn't imagine that happening.

Is this a sign Capel is not going to take the Ga tech job and Bolden is coming to Duke? or is it Capel might be considering the Ga Tech job and if he does leave to go to Ga tech bolden goes elsewhere? Just wanted to see what you guys think? All I know Marques is making me nervous. I wish he would hurry up and choose Duke so I can get on with my life:)

Last edited:

T.J. Walker– ‏@TWalkerRivals

Marques Bolden says if an assistant coach were to leave at UK or Duke it would change his recruitment. He doesn't imagine that happening.

Is this a sign Capel is not going to take the Ga tech job and Bolden is coming to Duke? or is it Capel might be considering the Ga Tech job and if he does leave to go to Ga tech bolden goes elsewhere? Just wanted to see what you guys think. All i know Marques is making me nervous. I wish he would hurry up and choose Duke so I can get on with my life.:)
I really don't think Bolden should influence your life (I know you're kidding).
OFC

Oh please. I've never claimed to know anything. When it comes to people like you humility and kindness go out the door. You don't fool anybody.

Oh please. I've never claimed to know anything. When it comes to people like you humility and kindness go out the door. You don't fool anybody.
Well I'm glad to see we agree that you don't know anything, I suspect that's a sentiment widely held on this board. I'm comfy throwing kindness out the door when it comes to you and Crank, two blowhards who are frankly embarrassing to the Duke name. If only competence was a pre-requisite for your job, but alas, you get what you pay for.

Well I'm glad to see we agree that you don't know anything, I suspect that's a sentiment widely held on this board. I'm comfy throwing kindness out the door when it comes to you and Crank, two blowhards who are frankly embarrassing to the Duke name. If only competence was a pre-requisite for your job, but alas, you get what you pay for.

Would you like to put that to a vote? I don't think you would like the results.
Speaking of throwing things out the door...I nominate you as first choice.

OFC

There's a couple people on this bored that when they speak I listen, Dukiejay is one of them. If you disagree with what those people say just scroll past their post, but don't be surprised when things happen and the certain people called it a long time ago. People need to remember that these are 18-19 year old kids. This isn't a decision on what you want for dinner. Thoughts and ideas change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT