ADVERTISEMENT

Amile

Last night, in my head at least, was the deadline. I don't think he is coming back this year or maybe at all. Very sad, but I'll let it play out before getting emotional.

all academic his 4 years here...get a start on that graduate degree young man and get a whole season in...amile/jeter.....w/.......vrank and obi can handle the 5 spot

all academic his 4 years here...get a start on that graduate degree young man and get a whole season in...amile/jeter.....w/.......vrank and obi can handle the 5 spot
They can handle the 5 spot, but duke shouldn't be handling any position. Land Bolden or Jeter takes a major step forward and have a really nice 1-2 punch at the 5.

Bolden is believed to be waiting to see if Amile returns? That's kinda weird.

This year was shaping up to be very special for Amile. He was playing phenomenally, averaging a double double and making great plays. He was finally getting noticed and appreciated. This must feel like someone stealing your childhood picture album or the pocket knife that your granddad gave you. You can't get that time back. Hopefully he can re-write this script and come out on top.

Reactions: hallside
This recent news just makes me sick to my stomach. Amile provides EXACTLY what this team currently lacks: rebounding, toughness, and leadership.
Without Amile, I will be happy just getting to the 2nd week of the tournament. With him, I envisioned a final 4 run.

I am very curious as to if Amile's decision will impact Bolden at all. On one hand, it would be great to have Amile back next year as a vocal leader who would be more than willing to allow Giles/Tatum the freedom to dominate games.
HOWEVER, Amile is a natural "4," the Jabari season where we tried Amile at the 5, did not work at all. I understand he has bulked up and mentally is alot stronger, but obviously GIles will start at the 4 next year.

Amile will redshirt now, makes no sense to shake off rust in ACCT and then play in NCAAT. Having two senior captains next year with the infusion of new talent will be scary. If Grayson stays we are pre-season #1 easily.

Just came off a national title so this season we're playing with house money.

We are going to be national title contenders next year regardless of Grayson, Amile, Bolden's choices (all different circumstances obviously) But next years team has a chance to be an ALL TIME team (much like 99).
If we want to be an all time great team, we cannot have "average" at any position. That is why landing Bolden is so important.
Bolden appears to be a center that would start immediately and would not be a liability at either end.
Lets face it, if we are forced to start Jeter at center next year, he will be a huge liability on the offensive end. All time great teams do not have liability's starting, period.
WE NEED BOLDEN

I hope that Amile redshirting does not impact Bolden's decision.
I am hearing that Bolden was also waiting to see if Skal leaves UK to go to the D League. Seems now we are in the same boat as UK...................

Makes sense though, right? HG3 will sit behind nobody, so he's already got one of the big men spots taken.

Jayson Tatum is GOING to be our starting 3 next year and you know K will absolutely have 2 guards (DT, JACKSON, JONES, KENNARD and lord please maybe, Grasyon)

Now lets play out having both Bolden and Amile. Which one is K going to start? You'd have to think Amile right? I could be wrong but....if that's the case, I can see Bolden not going anywhere he wouldn't start.

I think you take a fifth year senior over Bolden all day every day. Nobody knows what Bolden will be next year and you know what you're getting in Amile.

Plus, what if Bolden isn't 1 and done? I would think Bolden's presence would impact W Carter.

In a perfect world Amile would have been able to come back and you get Bolden for next year, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Don't understand the panic over Bolden. I take Jefferson over him easily, without question. With Jefferson next year we wikl have the most talented Duke team since that juggernaut in 99. Sucks for this year though. :(

I go bolden for 2 reasons.

1. he is more talented than jefferson and is a true center, i think he has Okafor upside. Not as polished on offense, but possibly better on D and rebounding.
2. If for some reason Giles is not fully healthy having Amile and Jeter as our two post players next year scares me

Senior night is Saturday...would seem pretty unfair to Amile if he does not get honored as a Sr..or would they honor him this year and next? One would think they'll have to announce something "officially" officially by Senior night...right?

I go bolden for 2 reasons.

1. he is more talented than jefferson and is a true center, i think he has Okafor upside. Not as polished on offense, but possibly better on D and rebounding.
2. If for some reason Giles is not fully healthy having Amile and Jeter as our two post players next year scares me
Agreed..I will add these reasons
1. If we get Bolden (who is a true center, not a Jahlil type scorer, but still solid, and better defense than Jahlil) than that is 1 less 5 Star Center on UK's roster (who will also be a top 3 team)
2. I don't believe Giles will be 100% healthy and able to play 38 min a game until at least ACC play, I don't like only Amile and Jeter as our only 2 options.
3. Bolden coming means we have the deepest Duke team I can remember, and will not have to worry at all about playing Obi or Vrank.

Hard to see how we have enough minutes at the 4-5 next year to convince Bolden to join us when Amile returns next year. Would be surprised if Amile and Giles didn't take up at least 60 of those 80 minutes, and with Tatum likely to play some 4, don't see Bolden getting more than 10-15 minutes unless he's better as a Frosh than a 5th-year Amile. Just don't see that as likely...

Senior night is Saturday...would seem pretty unfair to Amile if he does not get honored as a Sr..or would they honor him this year and next? One would think they'll have to announce something "officially" officially by Senior night...right?
Not sure how it is for basketball as there's a lot less redshirts but for football you get honored your senior year, then some places don't honor 5th year seniors as they've already been honored, others get honored twice. Not sure how duke does it. Was marshall honored last year? Pretty sure he was. Is he getting honored again this year? I don't know.

Hard to see how we have enough minutes at the 4-5 next year to convince Bolden to join us when Amile returns next year. Would be surprised if Amile and Giles didn't take up at least 60 of those 80 minutes, and with Tatum likely to play some 4, don't see Bolden getting more than 10-15 minutes unless he's better as a Frosh than a 5th-year Amile. Just don't see that as likely...

Yet Cal could blend him in with what seems like 10 bigs at your UK next year?

Eh. Maybe. If he's definitely RSing, then maybe they won't do the sr. day festivities and we'll get the signal from that. However, I don't think Sr. day is really an action-forcing event. I could very easily see them honoring him with the outside hope he comes back -- and then turn around and do it again next year if he's not able to play. In the end of the day, no real harm in honoring him twice for sr. day.

Not sure how it is for basketball as there's a lot less redshirts but for football you get honored your senior year, then some places don't honor 5th year seniors as they've already been honored, others get honored twice. Not sure how duke does it. Was marshall honored last year? Pretty sure he was. Is he getting honored again this year? I don't know.

Marshall wasn't honored last year. He's being honored Saturday night.

If they don't honor him, we'll know that he has decided to redshirt. If they do honor him, it seems like it would be an indication that he was still trying to get back this year, but it would not rule out the possibility of changing their minds.
In '02, JWill and Booz were both honored despite being juniors b/c it was known ahead of time they'd be leaving. After Dunleavy declared, K said something like, "I wish we had known so we could have honored him then, too." That shows me that K adjusts to his personnel even in that regard. A do-over Senior Day is something I don't recall having happened before. Any OFCs have either memories of something like this or adult grandchildren who can relay a story you've forgotten?

Marshall wasn't honored last year. He's being honored Saturday night.
Really even as a senior? Did he know he was coming back by then? I would assume so if he wasn't honored.

For football all seniors are honored as 5th year's aren't decided until after the season, I assumed it was similar for basketball.

Did Dunleavy graduate in 3 as well? What I'm getting at is I assume K would only honor someone on pace to graduate that year.

Dunleavy was originally expected to come back for his senior year. He only left because his draft stock soared over the month of March; I think he would have been a legitimate candidate for having his number retired had he finished off an All-American type senior season.

I don't think it is that weird. Amile has shown ability to defend other centers (see championship game), and that he is a team leader. He would not start over Giles or Tatum next year, so it is likely he would start at the "center" position with Jeter already there to back him up. He can also back up the power forward position. At least that is my opinion. If Bolden wants to be a center and to start, there could be a roadblock at Duke.

I am not ready to give up on Amile returning this season. 2 weeks ago, we just had won at UNC and everyone was speculating Amile was "very close." I still think this team will make a March run, if Amile is coming off the bench. So, can we please not throw in the towel on this team just yet????

However, if Amile does redshirt, I really hope we can still land Bolden. 4- Giles -Amile- Tatum
5- Bolden-Giles-Amile-Jeter
Jesus, we could have 4 guys capable of playing center next year. One can dream, right.

Bolden is a center. He plays the 5. Jefferson is at best a 4 and sometimes a 3. He cannot play effectively at the 5 except in certain cases.

If Amile comes back, I suspect he'll be in and out of the starting lineup. But, will mainly be off the bench if we also land Bolden. But, that's okay. At 3 front line spots there is always room for a guy off the bench.

What happens with other guys - Jeter and Obi - if Jefferson comes back, that's a different story.

Bolden is a center. He plays the 5. Jefferson is at best a 4 and sometimes a 3. He cannot play effectively at the 5 except in certain cases.

If Amile comes back, I suspect he'll be in and out of the starting lineup. But, will mainly be off the bench if we also land Bolden. But, that's okay. At 3 front line spots there is always room for a guy off the bench.

What happens with other guys - Jeter and Obi - if Jefferson comes back, that's a different story.
Amile has played the 3 for exactly zero seconds at Duke. However, I agree, if Duke wants to be the national championship favorite next year, it wont be with Amile as the starting center. Amile coming off the bench and providing leadership, toughness, and rebounding would be ideal.

If Amile is back next year, I don't see him being any better than the little bit he played this year (which was great, but not dominant). I believe there is a reason that K has never looked to bring in a "5th year guy," and it's because he knows that the guy has reached his ceiling. Few exceptions: Damion Lee being one of them.

I disagree about that. The Amile of today is significantly bigger / stronger than the Amile you're describing of the past. While I agree he's a 4 who's a bit undersized as a 5, whatever he gives up in size, he'd easily make up in terms of other attributes -- principally anticipation, length, physical maturity, leadership, etc. And, in fact, pre-injury, he effectively played a lot of 5 this season -- without even getting into how he defended Kaminsky in the national championship game the year before. He's not a pure 5 by any means; but Amile today as a 5th year sr. is very different from Amile of 2013 or 2014. Further, I would add that the game of basketball has just changed dramatically in recent years. Reality is that most teams frankly don't start a lot of true 5's who are good enough to hurt you by pounding it inside -- b/c most 5s with any talent declare for the NBA before they have any idea of how to play inside. I like Bolden. But he would not be a regular starter over Amile. Not even close IMO. About as likely as Frank Jackson starting over Grayson Allen if he came back.

I disagree about that. The Amile of today is significantly bigger / stronger than the Amile you're describing of the past. While I agree he's a 4 who's a bit undersized as a 5, whatever he gives up in size, he'd easily make up in terms of other attributes -- principally anticipation, length, physical maturity, leadership, etc. And, in fact, pre-injury, he effectively played a lot of 5 this season -- without even getting into how he defended Kaminsky in the national championship game the year before. He's not a pure 5 by any means; but Amile today as a 5th year sr. is very different from Amile of 2013 or 2014. Further, I would add that the game of basketball has just changed dramatically in recent years. Reality is that most teams frankly don't start a lot of true 5's who are good enough to hurt you by pounding it inside -- b/c most 5s with any talent declare for the NBA before they have any idea of how to play inside. I like Bolden. But he would not be a regular starter over Amile. Not even close IMO. About as likely as Frank Jackson starting over Grayson Allen if he came back.
You really think Bolden starting over Amile would be like Frank Starting over Grayson? I would say it would be more like Frank starting over Thornton(I hope it happens, because it would mean Frank is that good).

Bolden is head and shoulders above Amile from a talent standpoint, well and height too. Also, Amile has played a 6th man type role most of his career and is completely comfortable with it. I would think you start Bolden and somewhat treat the situation like last year. If bolden is playing well you ride him, but you have Amile there to spell Giles (if healthy) and bolden as needed. Some games Amile would play a lot other games might be 20 minutes. Bolden will get in foul trouble, he'll have growing pains like all frosh, but to start Amile over him you would be handcuffing Bolden and probably handcuffing the team. Who knows, Bolden could be a flop (highly doubt it) and then having Amile is crucial to play with Jeter at the 5.

A starting lineup of

Frank
Grayson
Tatum
Giles
Bolden

IMHO would be the most talented starting lineup at duke ever. ( I think 3 almost sure bet lottery picks, a 4th very likely lottery pick with Frank if he stays 2 years, and a first round pick in Grayson). THat would be 4 frosh and a Jr, but K has shown the ability to make that work with last years run.

If Amile comes back and we don't land bolden Id bet a million bucks that Amile starts at the 5

Reactions: adm015
You really think Bolden starting over Amile would be like Frank Starting over Grayson? I would say it would be more like Frank starting over Thornton(I hope it happens, because it would mean Frank is that good).

Bolden is head and shoulders above Amile from a talent standpoint, well and height too. Also, Amile has played a 6th man type role most of his career and is completely comfortable with it. I would think you start Bolden and somewhat treat the situation like last year. If bolden is playing well you ride him, but you have Amile there to spell Giles (if healthy) and bolden as needed. Some games Amile would play a lot other games might be 20 minutes. Bolden will get in foul trouble, he'll have growing pains like all frosh, but to start Amile over him you would be handcuffing Bolden and probably handcuffing the team. Who knows, Bolden could be a flop (highly doubt it) and then having Amile is crucial to play with Jeter at the 5.

A starting lineup of

Frank
Grayson
Tatum
Giles
Bolden

IMHO would be the most talented starting lineup at duke ever. ( I think 3 almost sure bet lottery picks, a 4th very likely lottery pick with Frank if he stays 2 years, and a first round pick in Grayson). THat would be 4 frosh and a Jr, but K has shown the ability to make that work with last years run.

I was being a bit flippant -- but I think this Bolden v. Amile talk is pretty off base. I'm not sure which Bolden you're thinking of when you say that he's "head and shoulders above Amile from a talent standpoint." Bolden's a nice prospect. But, let's not pretend he's Jahlil Okafor since he happens to be in a class without a lot of good bigmen. The guy is currently ranked around ~20 in the composite rankings, and there are multiple services that don't even have him as a 5* guys. Amile's rankings really aren't that far off. Further, Amile's role was driven by (i) his lack of physical maturity when he arrived on campus, and (ii) his competition for playing time: Ryan Kelly (Sr. v. Amile freshman), Jabari Parker (#2 pick) and Justise Winslow (#10 pick) competing with him for minutes -- and that doesn't even account for Mason Plumlee and Jahlil Okafor at the 5. People are kidding themselves if they think Bolden is going to be a great 5 man on day 1. I think he's a fine recruit, and I'd be happy to have him. But, in the end of the day, he's probably a lot closer to Chase Jeter than he is to Jahlil Okafor. As we saw this year in the early stages of the season, Amile is a very solid big man who can do a lot of things on the defensive end of the court -- i.e., whatever he gives up in post-ups, he offsets by how much flexibility he gives us on handling more agile bigs and defending pick-and-rolls, which are a far bigger concern in defending modern basketball of today.

Also, with regard to the PG position, I expect Thornton to start. From everything I've read, Frank has the game and the temperament of a 2 guard. He's not a natural facilitator. On a team where the stars would be Tatum, Giles, and maybe Grayson (if he's still around), you're not going to start a ball stopper at the PG position. He'll be an instant offense guy off the bench who'll play some backup PG.

My Dream Team
1. DT (could be Frank eventually, but I don't expect Frank to come in and be Tyus Stones)
2. Grayson (I expect him to leave, but thats why this is my dream team)
3. Tatum Duh
4. Giles Duh
5. Bolden (has a higher ceiling than Amile, ride him while he's not, play Amile when he's not)

Reserves
1 - Frank
2/3 - Luke, Matt ( seems like people forget he will be back next year), Frank could play some 2 as well
4. Amile, Javin
5. Amile, Chase

WE WOULD BE LOADED

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT