ADVERTISEMENT

Amile

I still expect Amile to play if he is able to, even if it's not until the NCAAT. If he can't, I don't know any reason he wouldn't go ahead and take the redshirt, then come back while starting grad school.

The more games I have seen this year the more it has become clear that we MUST have Amile return to have a realistic chance at making even a moderate run in the tourney. I was hoping that this group would overcome some of their deficiencies along the way, but let's be honest this group has not improved team rebounding much at all. If we draw a team that rebounds like UNC or Pitt and has even a moderately decent shooting night we will be gone. As good as this group is and has much progress as this group has made during the course of the year, they are not nearly complete enough to overcome their lack of depth and rebounding.

Reactions: hpnole
We are a sweet 16/elite eight team WITHOUT Amile IMO possibly final four with a good draw and hot shooting but with him I see a final four with what he adds being what we need as a team

I could easily see us being knocked out in the first game if we draw a certain matchup. The great thing about last year's team was how complete we were 1-5. The more complete a team you are the less likely you are of being knocked out in a one and done style tournament. With this team, without Amile, if we draw an opponent that rebounds exceptionally well and shoots even moderately well we could be gone. We certainly aren't pulling a 1-seed so I don't think it's unrealistic to foresee a scenario in any particular round where we could be going home. It is alarming how poor we rebound the ball at times.

WITHOUT Amile: Our margin for error is very small. We have to knock down alot of 3's and dominate at the FT line. I just can't see us shooting excellent for 4 straight games without him.

WITH Amile: He covers up what this team lacks the most, which is rebounding on both ends, and leadership. I see a Final 4 run with Amile, even if he is 75% the player he was in early December.

I do not see a Ryan Kelly type return, but I believe Amile's return is just as important. This team does not need a scoring boost- it needs leadership, defense, and rebounding- and Amile excels at all those things.

By a Kelly-like return I was speaking more generally. I remember watching the Miami game when Ryan came back and wanting to beat them badly. I along with most were thinking Kelly would be rusty. He came out and tore it up for 36 points. I don't expect Amile to score 36 and hit 7 pointers. That's not what I meant. It would however be amazing to see him come out and rip down 20 boards and score 16 points.

Alan

We ALWAYS get a good draw according to THR

Haha, they love that too. Duke could play the 96 Bulls and the 2016 Warriors, and some morons there would find a way to say it was to Duke's benefit. That's always one of their lines of reasoning that cracks me up the most.

Sidenote - Dean Smith made 11 Final Fours, and took home the trophy twice, and in each instance he was the beneficiary in maybe the two most bone-headed unforced errors in NCAA championship history. But Duke always gets lucky. :rolleyes:

Any new news yet on Amile? The fact that we play tomorrow (Tues) night makes me think he won't be playing. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm just wondering guys. With it being senior day Sat. do you think we will know whether Amile will red shirt for another season or go on out as as senior with Marshall. Can he have two senior days. I.'m thinking we will know something by then. OFC

I'm just wondering guys. With it being senior day Sat. do you think we will know whether Amile will red shirt for another season or go on out as as senior with Marshall. Can he have two senior days. I.'m thinking we will know something by then. OFC
Agreed. However, If Amile isn't ready to go but still plans on playing in the ACC tournament and NCAA's, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Clearly we're a better team with a healthy Amile. I don't think it raises our ceiling as much as it lessens the basement, so to speak. And what I mean by that is this....

Amile gives us an additional rebounder, a senior captain, our best post defender and our leader. That's when he's at 100%. I'm now resigned to the fact that if he plays this season he won't be 100%. And by that, I mean he will be 100% healthy, but not 100% game-ready. That's the Amile we need for him to truly make a difference. I'd love to be wrong and will gladly eat crow if I am.

I'm afraid the door to be "game ready" by the post-season might already be closed. If not, tonight might be the line - giving him two games and then (hopefully) multiple games in the ACC Tournament. I think if we do not see him tonight, it might be trouble.

Reactions: crazyduke3
If he's been practicing for a month likes been stated he should be fairly game ready

I'm afraid the door to be "game ready" by the post-season might already be closed. If not, tonight might be the line - giving him two games and then (hopefully) multiple games in the ACC Tournament. I think if we do not see him tonight, it might be trouble.

Literally said the exact same thing to the wife yesterday at dinner. If we want game ready Amile, he'd need to start tonight. This is also taking in the fact that the rest of the team needs time to grow re-acclimated to being in the line up.

I also strongly share DJ's sentiments.

Shocking how fast the season has flown by us and so much of it without Amile.

If he's been practicing for a month likes been stated he should be fairly game ready

Do we know if he's participated in full sprints or other conditioning drills? I've heard he's not been a full participant in practice, and then that leads to the question what parts has he been in.

At this point in time, I think it's a mental hurdle. I can't see us getting the Amile back that we had pre-injury. If he's still dealing with some pain, I think he can only provide some much needed depth off the bench for maybe 10-15 minutes.
I still think we need him this year more than next year though.

Just my 2 cents

Just a thought, but what if Amile is thinking of filing for a medical redshirt and going the grad transfer route? Something doesn't smell right in Denmark on this one. He has been cleared to play ( a month now? who knows), but cites pain. Maybe he has pain. Maybe he wants to come back next year. Who knows, but it will be clear enough in a few days or weeks.

Do we know if he's participated in full sprints or other conditioning drills? I've heard he's not been a full participant in practice, and then that leads to the question what parts has he been in.

My understanding has been a month of full practice but says he has "pain".. It seems a little extreme to me that he's still out so I'm assuming it's his decision to not play yet and not coaches.. As for grad transfer i couldn't see that happening in my wildest dreams. In fact if that happened it'd prob make me sick

Thought as much. The boys will have to make a run without him. Very tall task but they've done it all year

Duke's loaded next year anyway. Amile comes back? Maybe GRAYSON returns too? #6.

I just pray there is ZERO validity to the grad transfer talk!!! I don't wanna think about that

I'm guessing one thing they are going to evaluate quickly as part of this is surgery to correct whatever is causing the pain.

That would make me think Amile wasn't satisfied with something that went down within the recovery plan or something along those lines

I just pray there is ZERO validity to the grad transfer talk!!! I don't wanna think about that
I doubt very seriously he would do that....I think he loves Duke and Duke loves him and wouldn't think he would turn his back on the Duke family like that...but I guess one never knows

That would make me think Amile wasn't satisfied with something that went down within the recovery plan or something along those lines
No, surgery is always a last option if you hope to return the same season. Remember there was some speculation he'd be back more than a month ago. It made sense to see how it healed. If time isn't an issue now...

There is no grad transfer talk. There's the rule, which means someone brings it up. That's all. It's no different from every guy who can dunk being mentioned as a possible early draft entry.

There is no grad transfer talk. There's the rule, which means someone brings it up. That's all. It's no different from every guy who can dunk being mentioned as a possible early draft entry.

Since you brought it up and can throw down, is there anything to the rumors of you being mentioned as a possible early draft entry?

Since you brought it up and can throw down, is there anything to the rumors of you being mentioned as a possible early draft entry?
I'll probably test the waters, but scouts are already saying all my baskets have been really easy baskets in easy gyms to play in.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
I feel bad for Amile... A guy that plays with so much fire, you know he wants to be out there with his team.

If we get Amile back, next year could be very much like the 99 team, especially if Bolden happens to pick Duke. If Grayson decides to return that would just be the cherry on top. That would be one deep, very talented team.

d5747a8ca6d090be3e8b23abf0f5b393.jpg

It is a very bad sign. It seems the ship has sailed as far as getting an Amile that looks anything like the one we saw at the beginning of the season. He may still return (seems doubtful), but now there won't be enough time to fully get back in the groove and back to top form. They have the tough decision, whether or not Amile would be content to come back and give spot minutes the last few weeks, or fold it up and have a full year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT