ADVERTISEMENT

Amile

Jun 30, 2010
IF Amile does redshirt due to nagging foot pain/injury when would there be a decision by? Is it too late?

He can still redshirt, but I don't know at what point that will be considered (if he's still unable to play). I'm hoping he'll play in the next game.

OFC

In my opinion. Considering that it's February, I think that if the coaching staff thought it would be best for Amile to just redshirt and come back next year then I believe the decision would've already been made especially since when it was announced that he got injured they said he would be out indefinitely.

He's going to be playing soon....so it's irrelevant.

None of K's comments in the press have been optimistic. Talked about how he was favoring his foot in practice and not able to do much. Part of me hopes he does come back, b/c it would be a nice boost for this team at the end of the year. But I'm just not sure what Amile we get back, and I'd hate for him to re-injure himself.

If somehow he decided to redshirt and get fully healed up. Having him on next year's team would be awesome. So the other part of me is excited about that possibility. Amile has been my favor player for the last three years, so either way, I just want to see him back.

Play him Saturday or against Carolina without anyone knowing and mess with everyone's game plan.. Sounds like something I'd do if I were a coach.

If he's played less than 30% of the games (the season ending injury has to occur before the completion of the half-way point in the season, which it did), then he would be eligible to apply for a medical redshirt. Duke is guaranteed of playing at least 33 games this year, assuming 31 regular seasons plus two more games with ACC Tourney/NCAA Tourney. Amile has suited up in 10 games thus far, 10/33= 30.3%. So Duke would have to not play Amile the rest of the way, and win at least one tournament game in order for Amile to even be eligible for next year. I don't think that's a realistic option at this point.

If he's played less than 30% of the games (the season ending injury has to occur before the completion of the half-way point in the season, which it did), then he would be eligible to apply for a medical redshirt. Duke is guaranteed of playing at least 33 games this year, assuming 31 regular seasons plus two more games with ACC Tourney/NCAA Tourney. Amile has suited up in 10 games thus far, 10/33= 30.3%. So Duke would have to not play Amile the rest of the way, and win at least one tournament game in order for Amile to even be eligible for next year. I don't think that's a realistic option at this point.

Actually on ESPN it has Amile only playing in 9 games this season while he's missed 15 games. But I believe you're right about not playing more than 30% of the games to get the redshirt.

My mistake. I suppose he could easily redshirt this year if the staff really wanted to go down that road... But I'm doubtful that Amile or K really want to do that.

If he felt like a Duke graduate year would be better than playing overseas, he might stick around. If he truly can't go by this weekend or next week, I wouldn't be surprised if he shirted.

I'd love for him to redshirt - though it doesn't look likely. If he did redshirt - next year would be a really strong team with Amile's leadership. I think this current team can be a good bit better with Amile but I don't see it as a great team by any means. With the right matchups we might get 2nd round or sweet 16. But, given the lack of depth, the fact that Amile has been out so long, and the struggles of youth and defense - even with Amile back I could see this team going out in the first round if it's a hot team and a bad matchup for them defensively. At the same time, if he decided to redshirt then that would be a bummer for this year's team. But, that really would only impact a couple of players as the rest would be back.

If Amile is healthy enough to play effectively at any point this month, I think he almost certainly going to try and return. Considering that Amile's going to be done with his undergrad + we won a national title last season, I just can't see him coming back for a 5th year. Also, query if Amile really wants to come back to play the 5 most of the time -- as that's clearly not going to get him ready for the Lance Thomas type role he's certainly going to try to carve in the NBA. I just don't see the real reason why he'd want to spend a fifth year in college at this point -- rather than try to work on becoming a pro and/or moving on with his post-basketball career.

Do you guys actually have sources telling you this or is this just a wild ass guess? lol

Does anyone have any predictions on timing? Any chance we see him this weekend -- or are we still a week or two away?

I kind of take Coach K's take on Amile with a grain of salt. I could be mistaken but isn't this kind of like the way Ryan Kelly was handled. K came out and kept saying he's not ready, he's still having treatment done, it's still bothering him, dats before the Miami game in which he returned. Ryan did a Dukeblueplanet interview in which he said the day before the game he knew he was going to play... Yet if I remember the coaching staff kept saying he was still slowly progressing. I could be wrong about this whole thing and I really hope Amile comes out Saturday and plays!

I kind of take Coach K's take on Amile with a grain of salt. I could be mistaken but isn't this kind of like the way Ryan Kelly was handled. K came out and kept saying he's not ready, he's still having treatment done, it's still bothering him, dats before the Miami game in which he returned. Ryan did a Dukeblueplanet interview in which he said the day before the game he knew he was going to play... Yet if I remember the coaching staff kept saying he was still slowly progressing. I could be wrong about this whole thing and I really hope Amile comes out Saturday and plays!
Yeah, K keeps that info locked up pretty tight, like most things. There was even the me-OW thing a few years back w/ Roy where K said, like, "Unlike some schools, we don't publicize our injuries," and Roy got all huffy-jowled. It's that military confidentiality.

Yeah, K keeps that info locked up pretty tight, like most things. There was even the me-OW thing a few years back w/ Roy where K said, like, "Unlike some schools, we don't publicize our injuries," and Roy got all huffy-jowled. It's that military confidentiality.

I totally forgot about that! Haha that was funny how Roy got to upset!

Reactions: harttochesson
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT