ADVERTISEMENT

Amile

Could never decide between Huckleberry Hound or Deputy Dawg???!! Wonder what ODD thinks??!!

Either one works for me, Harttochesson!

Huckleberry%20Hound%20Ol%20Roy%20textured.jpg
Deputy%20Dawg%20Ol%20Roy%20UNC%20Red%20Nose_1.jpg

OFC

Difficult, what Amile will we get back? Can he hold up? will there be any risk? Only time...

If he can play at a high level we need him. As week as this year is we can make a run with him

Redshirt the kid! Don't waste any time playing him now. Push Obi and Chase for experience and allow Marshall to be showcased as a first option.

For those of you who never venture over to THR, allow me to educate you.

One thing is for sure -- K will do whatever is best for K, with no regard for Amile's best interests. After all, he is a rat-faced egomaniac.

I'll play Gary-7 and say he comes in at the first time out Saturday. I'm going to be recording this game so I can watch it in slow mo to break down all the moving screens and missed calls. OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
So don't give the kid a choice? What makes you think Amile wants to redshirt?
Let me see if I can get this just right...

dukiejay, you're wrong. It's just your opinion that Amile doesn't want to redshirt.

As dukehokie pointed out earlier, Amile can still play this year (not redshirt) and come back next year if he chooses. He can come back as a 5th year graduate student. Ultimately if he can play Amile is going to play. He is a gamer and you know he is chopping at the bit to get out there with his teammates.

I swear every time I check the college basketball scoreboard, you realize how wide open the tourney can be. With Chase getting a little more PT and Amile able to offer anything...well, you never know. :D

As dukehokie pointed out earlier, Amile can still play this year (not redshirt) and come back next year if he chooses. He can come back as a 5th year graduate student. Ultimately if he can play Amile is going to play. He is a gamer and you know he is chopping at the bit to get out there with his teammates.

I wasn't saying that. Sorry if you misunderstood.

I meant he could play a grad year if he redshirts this season. You can also play a grad year if you've redshirted and then transferred. You can play right away in that scenario without sitting out.

You only have a 5 year clock with the NCAA with a few exceptions.

You can Greg Paulus it by playing 5 years of college athletics and no redshirt, but the last season has to be of a different sport.

Bottomline, either Amile plays this season and he leaves the program a Duke grad and alum, or he sits out and shirts.

I wasn't saying that. Sorry if you misunderstood.

I meant he could play a grad year if he redshirts this season. You can also play a grad year if you've redshirted and then transferred. You can play right away in that scenario without sitting out.

You only have a 5 year clock with the NCAA with a few exceptions.

You can Greg Paulus it by playing 5 years of college athletics and no redshirt, but the last season has to be of a different sport.

Bottomline, either Amile plays this season and he leaves the program a Duke grad and alum, or he sits out and shirts.

Sorry about that dukehokie, that makes sense now... I quickly Read the post. Didn't meant to put words in your mouth

It is unbelievable how wide open this year is. Indiana just entered a 3 way tie for 1st in the Big 10! With Amile back, who says we can't finish like UConn a couple of years back when they won it all. That team kind of came out of nowhere, almost lost in the first round and wound up winning it all.

I have no idea if Amile would want to red shirt so that speculation is just that from my end. But I do think it would be fun to debate if it would be better off for the program if Amile were to red shirt (not taking into account Amile's opinion). With Amile and Grayson both staying, next year's duke team could be the most talented ever. It might still be without Amile staying if we land Bolden. But with as wide open of a tournament as it is this year if you can get him playing some by the ACC tournament and bring him on slowly there i'd be all in on him playing this year. I think duke will be just fine without Amile next year (not a knock on him), but they badly need him this year. I don't think he needs to play 30+ minutes this year, but they need him back healthy.

In the end I highly doubt he wants to red shirt, and they're doing everything they can to have him back this year.

I have no inside knowledge, but I would also think a redshirt is unlikely based on what we know about K and Amile.

Would be 2 weeks before pain goes away and another week before get into shape. Don't know what to expect because k keeps quite. But a Jefferson next year to a already preseason number 1 would be amazing

Reactions: Baller224
From today's press conference:

On potentially redshirting Amile Jefferson:
“Not right now. Again, if he was not able to play, then we would ask for that, and I think he would qualify for that. But, I don’t want to go there right now. It has been two months, though, and that’s why what our guys have done is remarkable. I am very proud of them and we just have to stay healthy. Here’s the thing: it’s healing great, but then we try limited basketball stuff at a slower speed, so he has never done anything game speed, and he has pain. For you older people, there used to be a Western called Gunsmoke, and you remember Chester? He looks a little bit like Chester. For you younger people, sorry. He can’t be Chester, he has to be Amile. If he tries to play at full speed with that, he can’t do that. He’s frustrated like crazy and we’re frustrated for him. I’m being completely honest with you about it. He’s trying, but it is not coming around.”

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=210712289

So you must be hearing some thing K isn't saying. The way everyone is speaking about Amile is that he has pain we doing little things. Is this being over used term

Here's a wake up call: Since 2002 (as far back as KenPom ratings go), every championship team has had team defense ranked #21 or better in efficiency (all but two teams ranked 13 or better). Duke is ranked #109 right now. We were top 40-50 with Amile.

If we want to have any chance to repeat this year, Amile Jefferson is a requirement.

We were way down in those rankings mid season last year as well. Probably not this low but seems like we were in the 50's or 60's going into the tourney but ended up near the top (of KenPom rankings) when it was all said and done. We have greatly improved on the defensive end as of late.

I agree that we have virtually 0 chance to make a run in the tourney without Amile. With that said, as mentioned above, KenPom's numbers aren't nearly as predictive as his website makes it seem -- as they continue to update the numbers through the tourney. As last year proved (and UNC's titles have underscored), the question is not whether Duke has played top 20 defense over the season -- but whether it's capable of playing top 20 defense by the end of the year when it rachets up the intensity. With Amile, I think we certainly are capable. Without Amile, I'm not confident b/c I just think our margin for error becomes so small and we start to face significant issues against any team with a strong 4.

Reactions: pisgah101
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT