ADVERTISEMENT

Will AOC be the next hated Duke player???

Just my point of view but I did not perceive them as being priviledged. I thought Grant Hill had it good because I knew of his Dad and that didn't taint him for me. I thought he was good. I have wished players didn't go to Duke so we would not have lost.

I don't comment much here due to how heated it gets but thought I would put my $.02 in anyway. Funny cause I like O'Connell and was thinking that may end up being pretty good.

Just my point of view but I did not perceive them as being priviledged. I thought Grant Hill had it good because I knew of his Dad and that didn't taint him for me. I thought he was good. I have wished players didn't go to Duke so we would not have lost.

I don't comment much here due to how heated it gets but thought I would put my $.02 in anyway. Funny cause I like O'Connell and was thinking that may end up being pretty good.
I freely admitted that Grayson did some stupid things.You stayed that Larttner stomped on people’s chest but as I stated previously the hatred for them began long before these incidents occurred.What do you attribute the hatred for them to

Alex is the most likely. I think he’s the kind of kid who could have benefitted from a redshirt year this past season. But that’s typically something K has always shied away from. He needs to get bigger. My guess is he becomes our next 1,000-point scorer.
Thought that I read Alex was approached with the idea of Redshirting and rejected it

Grayson tripped people while Laettner stomped on players chests.

Don't hate them, just have no respect for them.

From my point of view it has nothing to do with color.

Liked plenty of Duke players but not those 2. I am probably not the typical heel fan though due to where I live.
Laettner "stomped" on one player's chest one time. That player got up laughing and clapping. He stomped him so good.

You don't have to be aware of it for it to be about race.

Reactions: GillJET
Laettner "stomped" on one player's chest one time. That player got up laughing and clapping. He stomped him so good.

You don't have to be aware of it for it to be about race.
One minute before the “stomp” Laettner was intentionally shoved into the backboard support on the other end. Of course no one wants to acknowledge that. It was stupid what he did, but it was in retaliation. He just stomped the wrong person.

Reactions: BettisND
One minute before the “stomp” Laettner was intentionally shoved into the backboard support on the other end. Of course no one wants to acknowledge that. It was stupid what he did, but it was in retaliation. He just stomped the wrong person.
The narrative always has a privileged Duke player lashing out without provocation.

Reactions: QC Dukie
White...check
Good...check
Shoot the 3....check
Plays for Duke...check

Yep, he will be hated.

I think it has more to do with the attitude. Laettner, Grayson and JJ are perceived by non duke fans, fairly or not, as cocky and arrogant. The tripping and chest stomp just gave another reason to hate Laettner and Grayson. It also has to do with playing for a blue blood. If any of those three played for some small school, no one cares about them. There are non white players at duke who are hated and there are white duke players that no one has a problem with.

Reactions: dukiejay
How many comments have we read, or gotten from Duke haters, that Grayson actually tripped about 7 people? All because the media replays each event 1000 times so it seems like more. Oh well, that issue is now done and over with.

How many comments have we read, or gotten from Duke haters, that Grayson actually tripped about 7 people? All because the media replays each event 1000 times so it seems like more. Oh well, that issue is now done and over with.

Oh it will never be over with.....just like Laettner / Timberlake.....if we had won it all this year, that would ha e kept G's issue alive even longer. People are always going to cling to reasons to hate Duke. Maybe this year we can give them another reason.

I think it has more to do with the attitude. Laettner, Grayson and JJ are perceived by non duke fans, fairly or not, as cocky and arrogant. The tripping and chest stomp just gave another reason to hate Laettner and Grayson. It also has to do with playing for a blue blood. If any of those three played for some small school, no one cares about them. There are non white players at duke who are hated and there are white duke players that no one has a problem with.

I agree on Grayson. It's easy to see why he was disliked. He tested the mettle of many Duke fans, too.

With J.J. and Laettner, they played cocky. I don't really have a problem with it, either. Christian lived for the moment and let people know that. I think the 'stomp' only intensified his dislike. That happened in his third-to-last career game. He had already written most of the script by then.

AOC IMO earned more PT or at least the chance to get off the bench to see if he could spark the team... He is a guy that could have brought that Grayson effect that Grayson brought his freshman year in the FF...

When things got tough against Kansas, throw him in there and tell him to just go out there and do what you do in practice knock down jumper, attack the rim and just bring energy. He is too good to not be in the rotation getting 20+ minutes even with their big 4 freshmen plus Javin and hopefully Marques, Jack has a knack for getting boards, Vrank has skill as a big... not elite athleticism, but post moves and some face up range close to 3... Goldwire has shown that he can run the second team and fill in at PG and not hurt you. He was a guy that we got more as a depth signing with solid fundamentals, coming from a great HS program.

Reactions: christophero
AOC IMO earned more PT or at least the chance to get off the bench to see if he could spark the team... He is a guy that could have brought that Grayson effect that Grayson brought his freshman year in the FF...

When things got tough against Kansas, throw him in there and tell him to just go out there and do what you do in practice knock down jumper, attack the rim and just bring energy. He is too good to not be in the rotation getting 20+ minutes even with their big 4 freshmen plus Javin and hopefully Marques, Jack has a knack for getting boards, Vrank has skill as a big... not elite athleticism, but post moves and some face up range close to 3... Goldwire has shown that he can run the second team and fill in at PG and not hurt you. He was a guy that we got more as a depth signing with solid fundamentals, coming from a great HS program.

I thought the bench was handled pretty well the last half of the season. AOC is really the only guy I thought could have played more, but his lack of size showed some, too, down the stretch. If he adds 15 pounds then I think he becomes that 20+ minutes per game guy next season. He's going to be relied upon to spread the court.

I love both Vrank and Goldwire, but we were covered enough without them. That's not a slight to either, but Marvin, Wendell, Marques and Javin all offered more than Vrank. Goldwire is going to see his role grow throughout his career. He has a future here, but he wasn't ready this season. Trevon and Grayson were both better playmakers and more prepared for the moment.

If you think being white as a basketball player has nothing to do with being hated, you are sadly mistaken. If it makes people feel a little less uncomfortable about that statement, I’ll gladly point out that white basketball fans are also guilty of having extra animosity towards a basketball player if he is white.

Reactions: CRAZIE4LIFE
If you think being white as a basketball player has nothing to do with being hated, you are sadly mistaken. If it makes people feel a little less uncomfortable about that statement, I’ll gladly point out that white basketball fans are also guilty of having extra animosity towards a basketball player if he is white.
Tyler Hanstraveler

With J.J. and Laettner, they played cocky. I don't really have a problem with it, either. Christian lived for the moment and let people know that. I think the 'stomp' only intensified his dislike. That happened in his third-to-last career game. He had already written most of the script by then.
The only reason I had a problem with JJ was because he was a duke player and cocky. I've mentioned on our OOTB board that I would have had no problem with JJ and how he acted if he was at UNC. And a lot of UNC fans feel the same way, they just don't want to admit to it. I'm sure there are some UNC players that you guys feel the same way about. I remember Stack and Wallace being a little cocky, but I'm guessing most would have been happy to have them.

The only reason I had a problem with JJ was because he was a duke player and cocky. I've mentioned on our OOTB board that I would have had no problem with JJ and how he acted if he was at UNC. And a lot of UNC fans feel the same way, they just don't want to admit to it. I'm sure there are some UNC players that you guys feel the same way about. I remember Stack and Wallace being a little cocky, but I'm guessing most would have been happy to have them.

I have to agree with this. Those guys we all love to have on our team are often the type who rub opposing fans the wrong way.

Laettner, Redick and Allen each "showboated"

Paulus and Scheyer were mocked for their race/aesthetic look. When "slow and unathletic" players flop, it is viewed more negatively by fans of the sport than when for example LeBron James (repeatedly) does it. That is the nature of the sport.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT