ADVERTISEMENT

What's left for 2016?

CatcherForLife6

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Apr 8, 2002
Iowa
So where do we go from here? We've got offers out to Josh Jackson, Marques Bolden and Udoka Azubuike. I think we stand a good chance with Bolden and that is actually fine with me and would be a great/final addition to our puzzle.

Jackson would have to show interest in Duke before anything happened with him. So that is not going happen.

No Udoka.

There's a chance with Bolden. Stay tuned.

Reactions: mbdfan
Denn, do you think Giles has any impact on Bolden, positive that is.

Denn, do you think Giles has any impact on Bolden, positive that is.
It depends on who you listen to. I have never thought Bolden would end up at Duke. Some seem to think it was close to happening on his visit (someone who gets about as good of info as you will ever get in regards to Duke) Coach K is not going to give up on Bolden but I do think it is going to be tough to get him now. If Giles went to UK I would have liked Duke's chances more. That is only my gut feeling.

Getting Bolden would be incredible to add to this class. Also wouldn't mind a developmental/4 year shooting guard

If our frontcourt ends up Giles, Bolden, Chase, Tatum, Obi, Vrank, the rebounding numbers will be epic.

If our frontcourt ends up Giles, Bolden, Chase, Tatum, Obi, Vrank, the rebounding numbers will be epic.
*DeLaurier

I don't see Bolden coming personally. I'm expecting a forward and center group of Tatum, Robinson, Giles, DeLaurier, Jeter, Obi and Vrankovic next season.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Jackson would have to show interest in Duke before anything happened with him. So that is not going happen
Jackson is a weird one. He has offers from Duke and Kentucky but never even really sniffed either. Nobody really knows what he wants, aside from a few obnoxious MSU fans who claim he's theirs to lose. Maybe he is for all I know.

The other offers Jackson has like Duke are- if you wanna come here by all means, but we're not actively putting any time or resources into you b/c you're not actually considering us. Maybe he is MSU's to lose, not sure, i know the possibility of playing overseas has been brought up regarding him.

I'm curious how we can take any more recruits for next year?

MOST LIKELY, we will only be losing Plumlee, Jefferson, & Ingram.. Thornton is so young and I don't see him being AS consistent and as composed as T. Jones was, so I'm almost sure he will be a 2 year player.. Jeter is going to be a 2-4 year player mainly because he has 2 seniors ahead of him in the rotation right now, so his development won't be as quick.. Kenard is a 2-4 year player (although he has looked great so far).. and I think Grayson is very similar to JJ, in that no matter how good his stats are, I don't see him being able to go pro until after his junior or senior year - he is going to have to develop better handles, passing, and defense before he is a true NBA 1st rounder.

So our roster for next year already looks like:
PG - Thornton (So.)
PG/SG - F. Jackson (Fr.)
SG - Allen (Jr.)
SG - M. Jones (Sr.)
SG - Kennard (So.)
SF - Tatum (Fr.)
SF - Robinson (So.)
PF - DeLaurier (Fr.)
PF/C - Giles (Fr.)
PF/C - Jeter (So.)
PF/C - Obi (Jr.)
C - Vrankovic (So.)

...Not sure where anybody else would fit? Especially considering K doesn't ever run more than a 9 man rotation.

PG - Thornton (So.) 6'2"
SG - Allen (Jr.) 6'5"
SF - Tatum (Fr.) 6'8"
PF/C - Giles (Fr.) 6'10"
PF/C - Jeter (So.) 6'10"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PG/SG - F. Jackson (Fr.) 6'4"
SG - Kennard (So.) 6'5"
SG - M. Jones (Sr.) 6'5"
PF - DeLaurier (Fr.) 6'9"
C - Vrankovic (So.) 7'0"
PF/C - Obi (Jr.) 6'9"
SF - Robinson (So.) 6'8"
WOW.. that is a very possible lineup for next year..

PG - Thornton (So.) 6'2"
SG - Allen (Jr.) 6'5"
SF - Tatum (Fr.) 6'8"
PF/C - Giles (Fr.) 6'10"
PF/C - Jeter (So.) 6'10"
PG/SG - F. Jackson (Fr.) 6'4"
SG - Kennard (So.) 6'5"
SG - M. Jones (Sr.) 6'5"
PF - DeLaurier (Fr.) 6'9"
C - Vrankovic (So.) 7'0"
PF/C - Obi (Jr.) 6'9"
SF - Robinson (So.) 6'8"
WOW.. that is a very possible lineup for next year..
sick absolutely sick

Wouldn't mind having Bolden added to next year's class, but I still feel like he is a Kansas lean. Also feel like Jackson is leaning to Michigan State. No basis for my feelings but gut instinct.
Right now, after getting Giles to commit, I'm happier than a "pig in slop"!!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Jackson really isn't an option. He's not coming to Duke.

Bolden still could, but I tend to lean that he won't. Either way we're going to be alright.

It's no secret that Bolden holds Duke in very high regard. With that said, Kansas offers a better opportunity for minutes, to start and overall impact. I'm not saying that's where he ends up but I'm a realist. On the flip side, Duke will offer him a legit chance to will a Nat'l title, to be part of one of the most elite recruiting classes ever at Duke and to play and compete with a loaded roster of future NBAers. Honestly, without being selfish here, either places makes sense.

So our roster for next year already looks like:
PG - Thornton (So.)
PG/SG - F. Jackson (Fr.)
SG - Allen (Jr.)
SG - M. Jones (Sr.)
SG - Kennard (So.)
SF - Tatum (Fr.)
SF - Robinson (So.)
PF - DeLaurier (Fr.)
PF/C - Giles (Fr.)
PF/C - Jeter (So.)
PF/C - Obi (Jr.)
C - Vrankovic (So.)

...Not sure where anybody else would fit? Especially considering K doesn't ever run more than a 9 man rotation.
Teams have 13 scholarships available if I'm correct, so we would have room for one more player but as far as playing time it would be an even tighter fit to get playing time because like you said Coach K usually only plays a 9 man rotation most of the time.

Regardless of how many guys K plays, Unless Giles sees significant minutes at the 5, the only real comp Bolden has for playing time would be Jeter. If that is the case, I would see Bolden getting at least 20 min a game, since I don't see a scenario where Jeter is so much better than Bolden that Jeter gets the majority of the PT. 20 min a game on a distinct NC contender is pretty enticing. If he is not good enough to at least split time w/Jeter, he is prob not good enough to play more than 20 min a game with KU or most of the other top choices he is looking at.

Man. That depth is pretty amazing. Especially the 5 guards. Hopefully they will all be very competitive and push one another.

K proved last year that you don't have to be 11-12 deep for players to compete and prepare for a game. But, having all those players competing in practice has to help.

There may be some trouble with smaller quick teams (just in terms of preparation) but all that length and size and power is going to help with the toughness going into games against big opponents.

And, hoping we can really ramp up our competitiveness this year and beat UNC.

Does Josh Jackson really have an offer from Duke? More importantly, does Bradley Beal have an offer?!?!

Reactions: pisgah101
I'm in a small camp of people who actually believe we can get Bolden. I know his parents are extremely high on Duke (what parent wouldnt be?) and if it were up to them i think he would be a commit already. However that is not the case. Supposedly he's going to make a January decision however the longer the wait the chances I'd say would be slimmer. He knows the roster Duke will have next year already. He doesn't know the roster UK or KU will have yet and if he's waiting for that then we will not get him. I'm going to hold out hope here and hope Jeff and K can close this one and that his parents are heavily involved in his decision.

It is more of a if you want to come to Duke, you can. However wasting time and money on a kid who has expressed almost no interest in your program is not worth it.

As long as that don't end up in Chapel Hill I'm pretty content. OFC

Just a thought here and it may not even be of note to some of you. Most of you know I go back a long way as a Duke fan. Duke has had it's ups and downs during my 50 plus years as a Duke fan and most of them have been on the upside. There was a time when we really were on the down side. Not only was UNC kicking our butts on a regular basis but NCSU, Md. Carolina ( I mean South Carolina ) sorry Tar Heel fans and W.F. and UVA to a point. We weren't getting any top notch recruits at all. But we knew the recruits we were getting and stood by them and cheered them on and on. We still gave UNC some good games and even pulled an upset or two against the Heels back then. Now I know there were no things like discussion boards like we have today so the only lip I heard from Tar Heel fans was directed right at me and other Duke fans mostly in a good nature manner but it did get old. Now back to the quality of players we were getting and the quality of players UNC were getting. It seemed like UNC, UCLA, UK, and even as I have previously stated Md. and South Carolina to a point. Now it seems like the shoe is on the other foot as far as UNC and Duke goes. We are getting pretty much who we want and the Heels are getting , well let's just say the best they can do. The difference is back in those days Duke knew the quality of recruits we were getting and bless them all they are and forever will be Dukies and I had my favorite players then whom I loved to see play. But the Heel fans think those B level players they are getting now are really 5 star players in their minds. I find that just hilarious . OFC

I'm in a small camp of people who actually believe we can get Bolden. I know his parents are extremely high on Duke (what parent wouldnt be?) and if it were up to them i think he would be a commit already. However that is not the case. Supposedly he's going to make a January decision however the longer the wait the chances I'd say would be slimmer. He knows the roster Duke will have next year already. He doesn't know the roster UK or KU will have yet and if he's waiting for that then we will not get him. I'm going to hold out hope here and hope Jeff and K can close this one and that his parents are heavily involved in his decision.

Don't sleep on Alabama as a possibility. I think you are overlooking them. They already landed one 5-star player in Terrance Ferguson - who is also from Dallas like Bolden, btw (they likely have a relationship that could be a factor). And Avery Johnson brings charisma, NBA cred, and actual coaching ability.

Reactions: skysdad
It is more of a if you want to come to Duke, you can. However wasting time and money on a kid who has expressed almost no interest in your program is not worth it.
Agreed, Denn. I just think it's weird that he keeps saying we're in consideration, yet he clearly has no interest. I can understand saying Duke is in the running if you're a lesser recruit, but Jackson doesn't exactly need to boost his profile by touting a Duke offer.

Agreed, Denn. I just think it's weird that he keeps saying we're in consideration, yet he clearly has no interest. I can understand saying Duke is in the running if you're a lesser recruit, but Jackson doesn't exactly need to boost his profile by touting a Duke offer.
That is all he is doing. Boosting his resume. Duke has shown as much interest in Jackson as they have in me. None.

That is all he is doing. Boosting his resume. Duke has shown as much interest in Jackson as they have in me. None.
If you weren't such a black hole, and would pass it a little bit.

Don't sleep on Alabama as a possibility. I think you are overlooking them. They already landed one 5-star player in Terrance Ferguson - who is also from Dallas like Bolden, btw (they likely have a relationship that could be a factor). And Avery Johnson brings charisma, NBA cred, and actual coaching ability.
And he wants his program to follow the Duke standard, so he can't be bad haha

Thanks for the mixtape on the 2016 recruits, I really enjoyed it. Just wanted to let all you guys that post these Video shorts know that you are really appreciated! I get so much pleasure from them. Please don't stop posting them.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT