ADVERTISEMENT

What is our final ACC record?

As good as these kids are, they are still just freshmen for the most part. Taking for granted they stay healthy, and allowing for foul trouble along the way, I can see 15-3, with the possibility of 16-2. Losses to FSU, Miami, and a split with you know who. I will still not pick against Duke in any of these possible losses.
Go Duke!
OFC

Last edited:
11-7 is a stretch, but 12-6 could happen, IMO, based on the D.

When you start 4 kids (NO MATTER HOW GREAT THEY ARE), straight off the AAU courts this is the risk you run.Poor decisions, poor defense. This is EXACTLY WHY I was saying its good for a DUKE VICTIM like Florida to WIN to help Duke's body of work as much as possible. The boys are going to lose a few.. I said 14-4, and they'll be hard pressed to achieve that record.

OFC

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
I say 12-6, they will lose some other road games they should like every year. Probably finish second to UNC.

When you start 4 kids (NO MATTER HOW GREAT THEY ARE), straight off the AAU courts this is the risk you run.Poor decisions, poor defense. This is EXACTLY WHY I was saying its good for a DUKE VICTIM like Florida to WIN to help Duke's body of work as much as possible. The boys are going to lose a few.. I said 14-4, and they'll be hard pressed to achieve that record.

OFC

14-4 is a strong bet as well. This team doesn't defend well, regardless if the opponent shoots 55% from 3 land. Miami will shred Duke up, as could UNC, and I see a tough L at VT and Pitt. Good news is it's early so they can potentially turn it around.

Reactions: hart2chesson
14-4 is a strong bet as well. This team doesn't defend well, regardless if the opponent shoots 55% from 3 land. Miami will shred Duke up, as could UNC, and I see a tough L at VT and Pitt. Good news is it's early so they can potentially turn it around.

So Cal agreed, thats a good thing, and now K can crank things up a notch on em in practice. They got knocked off their high horse today of thinking they could come back late and win every game.

OFC

14-4. Remember these guys just played 12 games in 29 days. Now they play 2 games the rest of the month, and both at home. They can get settled, practice, and get better. This was an ugly game to lose but they will learn, only December

@ BC L
vs. Florida State W
@ NC State L
@ Pitt W
vs. Wake W
@ Miami L
vs. Pitt W
@ Wake W
vs. Virginia W
vs. Notre Dame L
@ UNC L
@ Georgia Tech W
vs. Virginia Tech W
@ Clemson W
vs. Louisville W
vs. Syracuse W
@ Virginia Tech L
vs. UNC W

Updated for me here. This would assume no improvement in D so that's a stretch. 14-4 may be more realistic; they just have a way to go defensively.

@ BC L
vs. Florida State W
@ NC State L
@ Pitt W
vs. Wake W
@ Miami L
vs. Pitt W
@ Wake W
vs. Virginia W
vs. Notre Dame L
@ UNC L
@ Georgia Tech W
vs. Virginia Tech W
@ Clemson W
vs. Louisville W
vs. Syracuse W
@ Virginia Tech L
vs. UNC W

Updated for me here. This would assume no improvement in D so that's a stretch. 14-4 may be more realistic; they just have a way to go defensively.

I just think this month is key with the amount of practice time they have. 2 games the rest of the month.... I’m sure the staff is going to hammer defense in practice

The question is will the team buy in

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
One loss and suddenly so many on the board are doom and gloom and predicting that we have 6-7 losses and finish behind UNC in the standings? Yeah it sucked losing and we played like crap but they shot 15-26 from 3 and still only beat us by 5 and that was mostly from us sending them to the free throw line the last minute of the game

We are OVERRATED RIGHT NOW IMO....A 15 PT FAVE over BC, a 6-3 club w/no quality wins and w/o their BEST BIG. Although we beat Michigan State we've had to come from behind in far too many games.

I thought we struggled far too much against Portland State, and folks on this same board questioned how really big the Florida win was after their struggles of late.

BC showed a pretty good blueprint today of how to beat Duke. Make Duke play D, wear em down, backdoor em, and let Duval shoot. K also didnt help with his inadequate use of the bench. Bolden got 8 minutes, O'Connell 2, and Goldwire less than 1. There were some dead legs out there at the end...This team has to learn to play 40 minutes before I consider them a true no 1. Rant over-

OFC

We’re one of the best teams in the country....regardless of whether or not we won today. Are we #1, #2, #3 or whatever? That doesn’t matter to me. I think one thing everything can agree on is that we need to improve.

To be honest, I think many of our own fans overrated us a little. There were pretty clear signs through 11 games we were capable of what we saw today. They were masked some by exceptional play from individuals, brilliant comebacks down the stretch and inane toughness. You live dangerously and eventually you’re going to get hurt.

We are OVERRATED RIGHT NOW IMO....A 15 PT FAVE over BC, a 6-3 club w/no quality wins and w/o their BEST BIG. Although we beat Michigan State we've had to come from behind in far too many games.

I thought we struggled far too much against Portland State, and folks on this same board questioned how really big the Florida win was after their struggles of late.

BC showed a pretty good blueprint today of how to beat Duke. Make Duke play D, wear em down, backdoor em, and let Duval shoot. K also didnt help with his inadequate use of the bench. Bolden got 8 minutes, O'Connell 2, and Goldwire less than 1. There were some dead legs out there at the end...This team has to learn to play 40 minutes before I consider them a true no 1. Rant over-

OFC

As a discussion who do you think the top teams in the country are at this time

Reactions: pisgah101
As a discussion who do you think the top teams in the country are at this time

I still think we are ONE OF SEVERAL TOP TEAMS. However, I think we showed today we are not deserving of a UNANIMOUS NO.1 national ranking.Isnt that what we were this week?? We're not there right now.

We rely too much on OUTSCORING PEOPLE ON OFFENSE to win, and not playing enough TRUE DUKE DEFENSE. I think we're in a GROUP OF TEAMS capable of winning the natty, but far and away from the sure bet some here thought we were. OFC

I still think we are ONE OF SEVERAL TOP TEAMS. However, I think we showed today we are not deserving of a UNANIMOUS NO.1 national ranking.Isnt that what we were this week?? We're not there right now.

We rely too much on OUTSCORING PEOPLE ON OFFENSE to win, and not playing enough TRUE DUKE DEFENSE. I think we're in a GROUP OF TEAMS capable of winning the natty, but far and away from the sure bet some here thought we were. OFC

I agree with you completely and just glad it is December. I’m a broken record I know but 12 games in 29 days with a ton of traveling takes a toll in the respect of practice time. This team has 2 more games this month, which means a lot of practice time. I am sure K is going to be working on defense a lot! I’m sure K is going to show game footage of this game multiple times to show defense breakdowns, not getting the ball down low enough and not to single him out, but a nice sit down with duval to show he doesn’t need to go 1000000 mph. I get right now this second we aren’t a unanimous number 1, but this one game is we bound to happen for multiple reasons. Give credit where it’s due, BC player a hell of a game and Ky Bowman is one of the best guards in the league, he showed it last year and is doing it again this year.

Now If the Evansville game and fsu game nothing changes I’ll be worried... for now, chalk it up to just one of those games

That doesn't make you overrated. It means BC played out of their minds and a YOUNG team didn't bring it. They will just wait. This don't take away the wins we have geez

Pisgah I am not going to get in an argument with you man. I respect you and your opinions too much. However the Duke team that showed up today as a 15pt favorite was overrated in my opinion. OFC

Nova is definitely better right now. It’s not that Duke lost, it’s the defensive issues they are having. Villanova is just a more complete team right now. There isn’t many that can match Duke offensively but the defense allows teams to play with them. Let’s see how this team reacts with the schedule getting tougher. Teams like FSU, Miami, UNC, VT & ND would eat this defense up. They have to improve and quickly. Duke still has the best potential but it must start with the defense.

Pisgah I am not going to get in an argument with you man. I respect you and your opinions too much. However the Duke team that showed up today as a 15pt favorite was overrated in my opinion. OFC

Not trying to argue but it's a little narrow sighted to say we're overrated based on losing on the road in conference

Reactions: dbav
Nova is definitely better right now. It’s not that Duke lost, it’s the defensive issues they are having. Villanova is just a more complete team right now. There isn’t many that can match Duke offensively but the defense allows teams to play with them. Let’s see how this team reacts with the schedule getting tougher. Teams like FSU, Miami, UNC, VT & ND would eat this defense up. They have to improve and quickly. Duke still has the best potential but it must start with the defense.

Nova is good, my question with them is they have played nobody besides Gonzaga in msg and that isn’t the same zag team from last year

Coach K is caught up in the OAD philosophy and thats not neccessarily a bad thing. However I truly believe when you get into the revolving door so to speak you tend to take shortcuts.

That cant be helped, the kids are there one year, and the nuances like talking on D, rotating, etc are easily overlooked and/or not picked up by the players enough.Was Billy King the great defender as a freshman he was as an upperclassmen??? Of course not- it takes time and thats the challenge of going w/the OADs.... OFC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT