ADVERTISEMENT

What is our final ACC record?

dukiejay

Mar 2, 2005
Minneapolis
Its usually Christmas before we can get this thread going, but with conference play starting extra early this season (Saturday) I thought we’d get it rolling now.

Here’s the schedule....

@ BC
vs. Florida State
@ NC State
@ Pitt
vs. Wake
@ Miami
vs. Pitt
@ Wake
vs. Virginia
vs. Notre Dame
@ UNC
@ Georgia Tech
vs. Virginia Tech
@ Clemson
vs. Louisville
vs. Syracuse
@ Virginia Tech
vs. UNC

I’ll admit I was leaning 13-5 or 14-4 about a month ago....now I’m in that 14-4 or 15-3 zone.

I’ll say 15-3....although I feel that may be a bit aggressive, I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far.

I can't pick a single game that I think we lose.....but I know it will most likely happen, so I am going 16-2 also.

Reactions: QC Dukie
17-1. Have the overall #1 seed wrapped up by conference tourney time, lose a game in the conference tournament.

Reactions: dukephysics
Before season I had Duke at 15-3 now I think 16-2 with losses at Miami and at VT. Miami always seems to play us well. I think playing VT on a Monday night game in Blacksburg after playing Syracuse 2 days before at home might could be a trap game.

We are not losing to unc this season home or away.

Last edited:
15-3. We don't lose to the cheaters. We lose at VT and/or Miami. We don't lose at home.

I have no worries about these kids going up against a top team as they've shown they play the best under pressure. I'm much more worried about let down games.

Sticking with 14-4, this team will have hiccups at some point that they won’t be able to recover from in game.

Difficulty level of road games:
Level 1: Pitt
Level 2: BC, Wake
Level 3: NC State, Georgia Tech, Clemson
Level 4: Virginia Tech
Level 5: Miami, UNC

Difficulty of home games:
Level 1: Wake, Pitt
Level 2: Syracuse
Level 3: Florida State, Virginia Tech, Louisville
Level 4: Notre Dame, Virginia, UNC

I think it's possible that we have a better record on the road than at home. Winning on the road isn't easy, of course - but we're playing a lot of the bottom teams on the road. 7 of the 9 home games we're playing are against teams that are currently projected to make the tourney. Here are my guesses...

Road Record: 7-2 (Va Tech/Miami)
Home Record: 8-1 (UVA)
Total: 15-3

... RealTimeRPI projects us going 17-1 with our only loss coming to UNC on the road. I would rather have the one loss be to Pitt at home, personally.

Before the season I predicted that our overall record would be either 37-3 or 36-4. My 36-4 prediction factored in the possibility that we’d lose to Michigan State but since we beat them I’m going to go with 37-3 overall with our ACC record being 15-3 with the 3 losses being losses on the road.

17-1......the one loss to someone we shouldn’t lose to, but not the cheaters.

Difficulty level of road games:
Level 1: Pitt
Level 2: BC, Wake
Level 3: NC State, Georgia Tech, Clemson
Level 4: Virginia Tech
Level 5: Miami, UNC

Difficulty of home games:
Level 1: Wake, Pitt
Level 2: Syracuse
Level 3: Florida State, Virginia Tech, Louisville
Level 4: Notre Dame, Virginia, UNC

I would move NC State to a Level 4. We always seem to struggle in Raleigh. Other than that, it's hard to argue with your list.

I don't think we go 7-2 at home. For some reason, I don't see us losing in Cameron. The scariest games to me are @ Miami, @ Virginia Tech, @ NC State and @ UNC. We won't lose all of them, but I have a hard time envisioning getting through them all unscathed. The ACC is just such a grind.

All that said....I want to be wrong and hope we run the table.

Remember, Duke's conference schedule is lighter than usual and the conference (at this point) doesn't seem to be as strong as we're used to.

Sticking with 14-4, this team will have hiccups at some point that they won’t be able to recover from in game.

I will agree w/Timo. I just think as solid as this team is the bullseye is so large on us, its inevitable....Hope I am wrong...OFC

Its usually Christmas before we can get this thread going, but with conference play starting extra early this season (Saturday) I thought we’d get it rolling now.

Here’s the schedule....

@ BC
vs. Florida State
@ NC State
@ Pitt
vs. Wake
@ Miami
vs. Pitt
@ Wake
vs. Virginia
vs. Notre Dame
@ UNC
@ Georgia Tech
vs. Virginia Tech
@ Clemson
vs. Louisville
vs. Syracuse
@ Virginia Tech
vs. UNC

I’ll admit I was leaning 13-5 or 14-4 about a month ago....now I’m in that 14-4 or 15-3 zone.

I’ll say 15-3....although I feel that may be a bit aggressive, I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far.
I’m going with 15-3 also. I think we lose at Miami, at UNC, and ND, but Duke is more than capable of winning these games also, but for right now I’m gonna say 15-3

I hope we can go 18-0, and I think it's possible, but the ACC can be pretty tough, especially on the road. I think anywhere from 2 to 4 losses is more likely, but who really knows at this point. We're going to have to eventually begin playing better D, or it's going to bite us in the ass.
That said, I definitely believe we're the best team in the country with a decent chance to win our 6th. Go Duke!

OFC

I'd put the over/under at 3.5 losses. I don't know who we are going to lose to or when it will happen, but it will probably be some games we seriously expected to win. I will say we don't lose in Cameron though.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I think Florida State gets us. GREAT defense.

this ^

I may go back to 15-3. I forgot we play FSU after a 10 day break. We could be rusty. This will be a big game for FSU. It is in Cameron and hard to imagine us losing in Cameron with this team. However, this game lands on the break so the Crazies won't be in full force.

I'd put the over/under at 3.5 losses. I don't know who we are going to lose to or when it will happen, but it will probably be some games we seriously expected to win. I will say we don't lose in Cameron though.

I think 3.5 is a pretty good betting line. I go back and forth between 15-3 and 14-4....but ultimately went the homer route.

I'm sure I'll 'pick' us to win every game, but I also expect a few hiccups along the way. Tomorrow is an important game at BC. Their guards are good, but their best big is now out for the season. Plus, the last thing you want to do is start conference play 0-1 and have to wait three weeks before you play again.

Florida State, Miami and a surprise or two that we can't predict. I'll take 14-4 or 15-3 any day. 3 losses won't bother me if we're hitting on all gears come March.

I think 3.5 is a pretty good betting line. I go back and forth between 15-3 and 14-4....but ultimately went the homer route.

I'm sure I'll 'pick' us to win every game, but I also expect a few hiccups along the way. Tomorrow is an important game at BC. Their guards are good, but their best big is now out for the season. Plus, the last thing you want to do is start conference play 0-1 and have to wait three weeks before you play again.
Yea I say 15-3 but I will always pick us in every game because Duke is capable of winning each and every game. If we get to mid to late February without a loss, the chatter will begin from sports media and talking heads on whether or not Duke loses the rest of the season.

I won't start thinking not losing at all is a strong possibility unless we enter the ACC tournament without a loss. Like others have said, all that really matters is the last game. Personally, I don't care how many losses we have if we win the Natty. I will not be very personable after ANY loss, bu winning #6 would make all those lossss go away quietly for me.

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT