ADVERTISEMENT

What is our final ACC record?

Nova is good, my question with them is they have played nobody besides Gonzaga in msg and that isn’t the same zag team from last year
That Gonzaga team did take Florida to OT before losing. So they can’t be too bad unless you don’t think Florida is a good win for Duke? Nova destroyed Gonzaga. They look very good so far and team I probably don’t want to see later in March. My opinion though

Reactions: Laettner15
Coach K is caught up in the OAD philosophy and thats not neccessarily a bad thing. However I truly believe when you get into the revolving door so to speak you tend to take shortcuts.

That cant be helped, the kids are there one year, and the nuances like talking on D, rotating, etc are easily overlooked and/or not picked up by the players enough.Was Billy King the great defender as a freshman he was as an upperclassmen??? Of course not- it takes time and thats the challenge of going w/the OADs.... OFC
Spot on you old fart. Today was like watching a movie that I've seen way too much over the years. Thats what has people concerned, it's not a guarantee they will become a descent defensive team.

Reactions: hart2chesson
That Gonzaga team did take Florida to OT before losing. So they can’t be too bad unless you don’t think Florida is a good win for Duke? Nova destroyed Gonzaga. They look very good so far and team I probably don’t want to see later in March. My opinion though

Very true... I dunno I guess I’m biased living up around the nova area, never liked them and seeing some of the opponents they play have me always questioning them, they are good please don’t get me wrong.... just biased

Not trying to argue but it's a little narrow sighted to say we're overrated based on losing on the road in conference

Not to BC it isnt my man. They beat us by 5- and only beat the mighty Colgate by 4. All kidding aside, Its not "narrow sighted" to say overrated when you're a 15 pt favorite, arguably start the best 2 bigs in the conference and the other team doesnt have their best big.

Fortunately we have time, and the loss that never should have happened can be overcome. Thats by developing better habits on the practice floor, and we finally have some good practice time ahead.

OFC

I think 3.5 is a pretty good betting line. I go back and forth between 15-3 and 14-4....but ultimately went the homer route.

I'm sure I'll 'pick' us to win every game, but I also expect a few hiccups along the way. Tomorrow is an important game at BC. Their guards are good, but their best big is now out for the season. Plus, the last thing you want to do is start conference play 0-1 and have to wait three weeks before you play again.
...which is exactly what happened. And the reason I see more losses this year than most. But we should be extremely tough to beat at home...

Ya'll are high if you think we only lose one ACC game.

How the hell was this team overrated? No other team in the country had a better resume going in to Saturday. No one. So to argue they weren't deserving of the unanimous #1 is plain wrong. You have to have a really neat imagination to dream up a more deserving #1 BEFORE the loss.
Was the 15 point spread out of line? I don't think so. If this game is played 100 times, I'd bet Duke wins by 15 more times than loses by 5. Again, this team was not overrated. They played horribly for 1 game and most of us expected it to happen at some point.
Losing one game, regardless of the circumstances, isn't proof that a team is overrated.
Now, if the voters came out today and unanimously voted Duke #1 again, then I would agree that we are being overrated. But that isn't going to happen. And again, it means we aren't overrated.
We were rated #1 for all the right reasons. We will NOT be rated #1, again for all the right reasons. Not overrated.

Initially I said Duke would lose 3 max but wouldn't be surprised if they ran the table. Not gonna lie I have been amped up with the talent we have and a part of me forgot that 4 of our starters are freshmen.
No offense to anyone, but people that follow these kids pumped them up, which they are talented, but this ain't AAU ball where Fluffy Williams is their coach. Plus these guys are watching the NBA and told how good they are, and they're out there dunking on everyone, and the one thing that they probably haven't been taught is good team defense, or at least the kind that K wants to play. Then throw in the fact that all 4 of our kids were the best player on whatever team they came from, and now at least 3 of them have to accept not being the alpha.
Now we lose a game, and thoughts of our weak defense from all these previous years becomes an issue, or I'm at least thinking that.
I think they will get it, and I think we will be one of the true contenders come March, or that's what I'm betting anyway.
I'm hoping for the defense the 15 team played in tournament, just sooner.

Last edited:
Reactions: PixelDevil
[QUOTE="Mac9192, post: 11225359, member: 32257"
I'm hoping for the defense the 15 team played in tournament, just sooner.[/QUOTE]

I am too, and that brings to my mind at least the best OAD defender we've ever had on that team- Justise Winslow. He was versatile and could lock up a varitey of different type players. We also had Quinn and Matt in that line-up so you had 3 pretty solid defenders, plus as "Frank The Tank" knows- Amile off the bench.

Yep you hammered it home. K g o es back to the classroom w/ these kids now, and he has time to really hammer the D home.

OFC

BC Shot 58% from 3. If a team attempts 20+ threes and makes 58%, you're going to lose just about every time. We shot 61.6% on 2-pointers, we had 6 fewer turnovers, 8 more shot attempts, and we still lost... BC shot below 46% on 2-point attempts (16-35). Hard to win a game giving up 45 points on 26 shots (effective field goal percentage of 86.6%).

BC isn't a great team, but they're still respectable. Bowman and Robinson are very, very good; they're both capable of making one of the All-ACC teams. If BC still had Hawkins, I would even say they could make the tournament. But I think they'll get enough wins to at least make the NIT this year.

We lose 4-5 games due to youth. 2015 roster was so unique b/c it had everything, this one doesn't. Justise Winslow's don't grow on trees.

Now that most have cooled off from Saturday, are we firing up the DI prediction contest again for the ACC? I ask early bc well we started super early this year. @dukiejay

Now that most have cooled off from Saturday, are we firing up the DI prediction contest again for the ACC? I ask early bc well we started super early this year. @dukiejay

Yes. I figured next week I’d post a thread and see what the interest level is....the first year we had about 12-13 regulars, and last season we bumped up to 17 or 18. Hopefully we have 20+ this season.

Initially I said Duke would lose 3 max but wouldn't be surprised if they ran the table. Not gonna lie I have been amped up with the talent we have and a part of me forgot that 4 of our starters are freshmen.
No offense to anyone, but people that follow these kids pumped them up, which they are talented, but this ain't AAU ball where Fluffy Williams is their coach. Plus these guys are watching the NBA and told how good they are, and they're out there dunking on everyone, and the one thing that they probably haven't been taught is good team defense, or at least the kind that K wants to play. Then throw in the fact that all 4 of our kids were the best player on whatever team they came from, and now at least 3 of them have to accept not being the alpha.
Now we lose a game, and thoughts of our weak defense from all these previous years becomes an issue, or I'm at least thinking that.
I think they will get it, and I think we will be one of the true contenders come March, or that's what I'm betting anyway.
I'm hoping for the defense the 15 team played in tournament, just sooner.
Don't you dare talk bad about fluffy Williams, man is an exemplary coach

Reactions: Mac9192
Coach K is caught up in the OAD philosophy and thats not neccessarily a bad thing. However I truly believe when you get into the revolving door so to speak you tend to take shortcuts.

That cant be helped, the kids are there one year, and the nuances like talking on D, rotating, etc are easily overlooked and/or not picked up by the players enough.Was Billy King the great defender as a freshman he was as an upperclassmen??? Of course not- it takes time and thats the challenge of going w/the OADs.... OFC
I’d rather take a few shortcuts with Bagley driving than the long way ‘round with Big Luke Maye.

Seriously though, you make a great point. Bagley has 25-30 games left. The ones that really matter are the last 6. Everything K does now has to be in preparation for that final run. That’s not a lot of time to craft a winning team.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I’d rather take a few shortcuts with Bagley driving than the long way ‘round with Big Luke Maye.

Seriously though, you make a great point. Bagley has 25-30 games left. The ones that really matter are the last 6. Everything K does now has to be in preparation for that final run. That’s not a lot of time to craft a winning team.

Denver thx, appreciate it. In a sense its a new dynamic OFFENSIVELY TOO for K and his staff, per the fact traditionally we are a perimeter, somewhat small ball, 3pt shooting team. Think about it in '15, we had 4 starters who were all 3 pt shooter threats (T.Jones, M.Jones, Cook and Winslow). Same type teams last two years, amd really for most of K's teams.

Now we have really just TWO TRUE outside threats starting, and two guys in Bagley and Carter I think of as INSIDE GUYS. So its an adjustment for even the G.O.A.T himself. The practice time remainder of month should prove INVALUABLE on BOTH ENDS of floor.

OFC

I stand by my original prediction of 15-3 with the losses being let down games. This was one of them. It was the first ever road ACC game for 80% of our starters. Now they know what to expect and how to prepare.

It was a good learning experience. I won't ignore wins over Florida and MSU. Conference games are a new thing for them and now that they have experienced one, the adjustments can begin.

Keep fighting fellas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT