ADVERTISEMENT

What in the Pickleball!?!?!

Dad2ze

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Feb 8, 2012
This side of the Neuse
Watching this pickle all crap before the game but I’m not sure about where everyone else lives but this “sport” is an obsession here in Raleigh, NC. The people here are militant if you entered the gym and happen to come near the court. If a basketball from the other court, that has a huge divider, rolls into the pickleball court you will not get your ball back. The people who play are rude and have even interrupted basketball practices by walking into our court because we were being “noisy.” I’ve never met anyone who when playing this is actually chill. It’s a drug to these people.

Pickleball players are tennis players who got too old. I played a lot of tennis when I was younger. Tennis players took themselves wayyy too seriously. I had a high school match once and my basketball buddies came out to cheer for me. They weren't doing anything rude, just maybe a little loud. the opposing coach asked my coach to tell them to be quiet. Our coach happened to be the JV basketball coach who had coached my friends and was a really tough guy. He asked my friends to tone it down but wasn't very forceful about it. I wonder if our school principal heard about it from the other school the next day. I personally thought it was hysterical.

Reactions: sheyduke
Pickleball players are tennis players who got too old. I played a lot of tennis when I was younger. Tennis players took themselves wayyy too seriously. I had a high school match once and my basketball buddies came out to cheer for me. They weren't doing anything rude, just maybe a little loud. the opposing coach asked my coach to tell them to be quiet. Our coach happened to be the JV basketball coach who had coached my friends and was a really tough guy. He asked my friends to tone it down but wasn't very forceful about it. I wonder if our school principal heard about it from the other school the next day. I personally thought it was hysterical.
Good grief! We had a tournament at a gym and they wanted us to try and finish up because they had pickeball practice 😂

• Haha
Reactions: hart2chesson
I first heard about pickle ball on the radio and had no clue what it was.

I play! 😂 It ain’t nothing like tennis. It’s more like ping pong. Hell of a lot easier than tennis.

They got a game that comes on ESPN that’s worse . Spikeball… slapball… some kinda stupid slapping action ball down on a little net. Terrible . On a side note these “Pro” pickle ball players are no better than me soooo I don’t much get how you become a “pro” I can drink 6 beers, do a line of cocaine and run the table onm😂😉

Reactions: Dad2ze
They got a game that comes on ESPN that’s worse . Spikeball… slapball… some kinda stupid slapping action ball down on a little net. Terrible . On a side note these “Pro” pickle ball players are no better than me soooo I don’t much get how you become a “pro” I can drink 6 beers, do a line of cocaine and run the table onm😂😉
Yea how the hell do you become pro? Is that just identifying as Pro?

Yea how the hell do you become pro? Is that just identifying as Pro?
Gotta be. You gotta know somebody? Idfk. The game doesn’t take much skill. If you got a little “over the top” spin wrist action you’re basically a pro. If you got a little “cut shot” back spin shot you’re an all star. If you got a little swiping side to side fade shot you’re legend 😂

Just like ping pong but easier. I like it, but I would never watch it . Especially 2 vs 2. Not enough room imo . It’s like a corn hole, family gatherings type of game. What ever happen to horseshoes??? Is the question! I loved that, until i migrated with the rest of the county over to cornhole…

Last edited:
Tennis players and golfers are used to a certain level of quiet. Except at the Us Open of course lol

I played 25+ years of tennis tournaments until I had 2 hip replacements and took up golf. I can‘t understand all of the hoopla over pickleball. I would never try the sport. Serve and volley tennis, lobs and drop shots were my strengths. The idea of playing a mechanical game where you hit little soft angled shots over and over until someone tries a passing shot has no excitement for me. I do agree that a lot of older tennis players like it because their old legs can’t run anymore. On another note I respect that a tennis player should have quiet while serving or hitting a shot except for Davis Cup when you have about half of the noise of a World Cup Soccer match.

I played 25+ years of tennis tournaments until I had 2 hip replacements and took up golf. I can‘t understand all of the hoopla over pickleball. I would never try the sport. Serve and volley tennis, lobs and drop shots were my strengths. The idea of playing a mechanical game where you hit little soft angled shots over and over until someone tries a passing shot has no excitement for me. I do agree that a lot of older tennis players like it because their old legs can’t run anymore. On another note I respect that a tennis player should have quiet while serving or hitting a shot except for Davis Cup when you have about half of the noise of a World Cup Soccer match.
Good post. I can see the appeal to older people or for people with limited mobility but to see healthy 25 year olds out there is confusing. Ping pong lends itself to more creativity and angles In pickle ball you’re too close to the bet. Isner and Sock played a couple of pickle ballers and their overall height and athleticism was almost irrelevant. I’ll pass

With all due respect to every one of you seasoned farts. And I mean that with the upmost respect for your decaying cadavers . You can’t roll out on two wheels & your oxygen tank and play this game . 😉😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT