ADVERTISEMENT

What do you do for a living?

dukiejay

Mar 2, 2005
Minneapolis
It's the time of year where we've just run out of things to talk about. We know what everyone's favorite color of socks are, the starting lineup and rotation have already been decided, and folks have jockeyed for political positions. So now we get this thread.

Always one of my favorites every year with so many new posters joining us....what the heck do you do for a living? It's fun, and about six or seven years ago I even made a business connection through this thread.

Post away and let us know. I'll chime in later.

Elementary school teacher for... what, 15 years? Thankfully teaching (especially the older kids) nowadays involves a LOT of time at your computer and a lot of time where the kids are working on their own, so I can post here sometimes while they are working:) Exhausting job, but worth it I suppose.

Worked in sports for a number of years after Duke. Covered the Devils/Rangers/Islanders for Fox Sports, worked on some books, worked as an agent for a number of NHL players, and was the Director of Ops/de facto GM for a number of minor league teams before deciding to get into something I felt was more worthwhile.

I own a tire and automotive repair shop in a small town about an hour south of Greensboro, NC. Started work for the original owner in 01 and worked for him learning how to run it before buying it in 04. I really enjoy dealing with people and earning their trust. As anyone knows, the field I'm in is known for overcharging people and being a little shady.
I'm very blessed that my business has grown, and a lot of that is after years of seeing people come and go, I have a crew that makes me look good.

Started out as an intensive in-home counselor working with @ risk youths in some of the most challenging areas. Moved on to do juvenile probation for another four years. I now own a two home healthcare businesses as well as a janitorial business.

Elementary school teacher for... what, 15 years? Thankfully teaching (especially the older kids) nowadays involves a LOT of time at your computer and a lot of time where the kids are working on their own, so I can post here sometimes while they are working:) Exhausting job, but worth it I suppose.

Worked in sports for a number of years after Duke. Covered the Devils/Rangers/Islanders for Fox Sports, worked on some books, worked as an agent for a number of NHL players, and was the Director of Ops/de facto GM for a number of minor league teams before deciding to get into something I felt was more worthwhile.

I too am in public education. I am a high school English teacher and boys basketball coach. I work in the school I attended many years ago, and where my mother worked when I was a child, so I feel very proud and appreciative to be back.

Basketball-wise, I started as the JV coach, and this is my 7th year as the varsity assistant. I coach with a guy that has been doing it for 30 years, and he is great. During my time here we have multiple district and region championships, a state runner-up finish, and the school's only boys basketball state championship. I grew up in the community and wore the uniform, so our program means a lot to me and it is cool to be a part of it in this capacity.

Last edited:
Law Enforcement (auxiliary now). Left law Enforcement full time, took a year off now do commercial electrical and gunsmithing and gun restoration on the side.

Loved helping people and juveniles couldn't stand the politics lol

Law Enforcement (auxiliary now). Left law Enforcement full time, took a year off now do commercial electrical and gunsmithing and gun restoration on the side.

Loved helping people and juveniles couldn't stand the politics lol

Shey, did you ever see my "My new toy" thread on the main national board? About the Baker rifle I got a few months back?

Reactions: skysdad
I've worked in the radio industry for over 18 years in a number of capacities. Started off as an intern, worked in production, programming, on-air, marketing, sales and then sales management. Now I'm the GM for a three-station cluster. It's hard for me to picture not being in this profession.

Retired. Worked for Marsh Kitchens of Alamance, a part of Marsh Furniture of High Point N.C. for 16 years. Best company I ever worked for. Before that I worked for Lowes Co. for 15 years. Before that I sold life insurance and I worked for a while as a surveyor's helper and my first job at 16 was a bag boy and produce helper at at grocery store. Now I have 2 part time jobs as a score keeper for baseball,softball and basketball for the rec. dept. Also work at one of the local lakes. OFC

avengers-age-of-ultron-james-spader-is-the-f-cking-lizard-king_robert-california-the_office.gif

That's interesting about Hart and Sky, with what they do for a living. I had heard the two of them, along with Dirt, ran a security firm, and they run night watch at a local retirement facility called 'Shady Acres.'

Its shady alright! We throw shade at Tar Heel patients....

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I do gymnasium floors for a living. Install, re-finish, paint, and maintain them. All over NC, SC, and VA. I'm a sports junkie so it is truly the best job I could have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT