ADVERTISEMENT

UK fans all excited Cal recruiting Knox to returm

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/cal-pitching-knox-on-returning-per-kyle-tucker.264372/

Talk about hypocrites. Whenever a kid returns to Duke it is because K is selfish. Unbelievable.

The fan base is pretty divided on this topic and Cal’s strategy.

There’s the group who worships Cal and backs his decisions no matter what and cannot handle any criticism. Their stance sways with whatever he does.

The others don’t give a crap about the NBA (that’s me as well) and we don’t pretend to care about anything but the actual program. Tons of fans want him to change his recruiting philosophy because this year was awful.

So it’s a divided bunch. The ones who eat up the NBA schpill and those who don’t give a crap about another guy getting rich and getting to the league as fast as possible.

The committee will likely give them another cakewalk region in the tournament. Luckily we have refs out to get KY by calling more fouls on KY’s opponents than on KY (it’s true, I saw it on the internet).

Is Draft day no longer the greatest day in KY history?

Isn't that the most absurd comment? I get what he was trying to accomplish with that statement but it was beyond foolish and untrue. Many of us have grown tired of what basketball is becoming.

You recruit the best players that you can get, Cal can get anyone so he gets the best in the country for any year. Purposely downgrading recruiting is stupid. Until the rules change (which will be very very soon) you recruit OAD if you can.

Maybe Cal knows he can’t win when the one and done goes away so he’s pulling out all the strings possible to and try and win another national championship!

I just can't see Knox coming back. It doesn't make a lot of sense for him.
I keep reading next year’s draft class is weak, which is kind of hard to believe. I think they are trying to sell Knox that he can be a top 5 pick in next year’s draft if he comes back to UK. Still hard to believe he would take that chance considering some mock drafts have him being taken 10th overall and the lowest I have seen him being taken is 12th. Anything can happen in another year in college like having an injury or a sophomore slump.

The lowest I have seen him in the mock draft is 12, so I don’t know why you would come back based on that.
I'm curious if I'm the only Duke fan who finds this role reversal unsettling. UK is possibly returning a couple of lottery picks while we're losing a couple of guys (Duval and Trent) who won't sniff the first round.

Has UK recruited players / developed a culture where getting to the NBA isn't paramount? And have we created a culture where guys who should return have been recruited over and really have no choice but to leave?

That's what it feels like to me.

So maybe we shouldn't accuse UK fans of being hypocrites unless we want that same label applied to us.

I'm curious if I'm the only Duke fan who finds this role reversal unsettling. UK is possibly returning a couple of lottery picks while we're losing a couple of guys (Duval and Trent) who won't sniff the first round.

Has UK recruited players / developed a culture where getting to the NBA isn't paramount? And have we created a culture where guys who should return have been recruited over and really have no choice but to leave?

That's what it feels like to me.

So maybe we shouldn't accuse UK fans of being hypocrites unless we want that same label applied to us.

It's yet TBD determined whether or not Trent and Duval won't 'sniff' the first round. I don't even know your basis for that argument. From one or two mock drafts? I could show you 10 that say the opposite. Besides, until the combines this argument, for either of us, doesn't hold much weight.

Duke isn't creating the culture. It's a culture that's existed for quite a while. Some kids are just different. Grayson Allen could have left and been a first-round pick two years ago. He wanted to be at Duke. Harrison Barnes would have been a lottery pick after his freshman season. He wanted another crack at UNC. Maybe Kevin Knox feels he has unfinished business and isn't ready to give up being a kid yet?

The plan in both the Duval and Trent camp's has been to go pro right now. Can that change? Certainly. But I don't think it's very likely. I can't speak to Kevin Knox because I didn't follow him whatsoever, other than the three or four games I saw UK play this season.

Maybe Cal is going to follow hof coach roy williams and advise everyone to stay regardless of their draft status. OFC

Yep, Ol Roy going to do his due diligence and check with his NBA sources. As always his NBA sources tell him that kid needs to stick around till his college eligibility is over.

In the meantime he will provide kid with lots of impermissible benefits. Therefore kid would take a paycut if he went to NBA early.

Reactions: skysdad
It’s worth noting that Duke (and yes, UNC as well) are extremely good colleges and their degrees are much more valuable in the real world than somewhere like UK. That’s not to say that Knox’s decision has anything to do with his education, if he thinks he can make more money in next year’s draft more power to him. I don’t, however, think there have been any shifts in the culture, if there wasn’t such an upside to leaving I think guys like Jabari and Wendell would have definitely stuck around to graduate and may still continue to finish their degrees in the future like Okafor-that’s something that I think only certain programs can offer and one of the reasons I am proud to be a Duke fan.

It's yet TBD determined whether or not Trent and Duval won't 'sniff' the first round. I don't even know your basis for that argument. From one or two mock drafts? I could show you 10 that say the opposite. Besides, until the combines this argument, for either of us, doesn't hold much weight.

Duke isn't creating the culture. It's a culture that's existed for quite a while. Some kids are just different. Grayson Allen could have left and been a first-round pick two years ago. He wanted to be at Duke. Harrison Barnes would have been a lottery pick after his freshman season. He wanted another crack at UNC. Maybe Kevin Knox feels he has unfinished business and isn't ready to give up being a kid yet?

The plan in both the Duval and Trent camp's has been to go pro right now. Can that change? Certainly. But I don't think it's very likely. I can't speak to Kevin Knox because I didn't follow him whatsoever, other than the three or four games I saw UK play this season.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on whether there's been a culture shift. Feels like one to me, hopefully not.

Have made the point several times on this forum that all the players should go to the NBA combine to get an evaluation.My question has alway been if they don’t have a first round grade will they still go?The answer has always been yes.I feel that a first round grade means they should go but do not understand leaving If in the second round

K would have made him a top 5 pick. Under Cal he has to return for his sophomore season haha
This years draft is much , much stronger than next years is thought to be. Knox is hovering around the 12 to 18 pick in this years draft, plus being the youngest player that may declare. If he goes back and improves his stock in a predicted down year , it pays off in a big way. The two top picks next year should be Barrett and Reddish. Knox could move to top five. Why wouldn't Call give him that opinion. Its still Knox and family decision.

He’s a for sure lottery pick. I’m not gonna lie they got him going 11 to Charlotte and they need a good SF for scoring. That said if Knox improves his defense and strength he will go top five. Kentucky would be loaded next season and to be honest “ if” he was to return I applaude him.

That said I believe he’s gone and if Jordan messes up this pick I hope he sales the team.

Who cares who UK returns, were still gonna throttle them in the Champions Classic then won't have to worry about them the rest of the year. They will be okay, we won't be seeing them in Minneapolis though.

Culture change?? This is mostly about NBA GMs. They started picking younger and younger kids. They just can't help themselves. 1 year out of High School and the one and done it created, was to protect them from themselves.

Don't remember seeing that. If true, its just a stupid comment from one person.
. It was said on RR by multiple posters, think one of those guys even posted prior to the season started, “Kevin Knox will have a better year than Marvin Bagley” they really are delusional, more so when they lose top recruits to other schools.

. It was said on RR by multiple posters, think one of those guys even posted prior to the season started, “Kevin Knox will have a better year than Marvin Bagley” they really are delusional, more so when they lose top recruits to other schools.

I was responding to the Kennedy Meeks comparison, not the KevIn Knox comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT