ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

And they basically fill in short man syndrome Lunardi picks.

OFC

If you didn’t already know it was the NCAA involved you would swear something was rigged. But because it’s them, we just expect the stupidity. That’s how laughably bad they mismanage everything they touch these days.

No flexibility all those decades, unfair assessments of penalties to schools. The famous Jerry Tarkanian quote that “The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they’re going to put Cleveland State on probation for three years.” was spot on.

From absolutely not to anything goes! It all started with the Ed O’Bannon lawsuit and all the NCAA could ever respond with was: ‘We’ve been this way forever; they’re amateurs.’ That’s the only answer they had. Maybe if they had applied some common sense over the years and allowed a few things like small stipends or allowing travel help $$$ so some kids families could afford to fly and see their sons or daughters play, maybe there’s less bitterness and lawsuits that ultimately led us to the current state of things. 🤷🏻‍♂️

YES!!!!
Great news. It's been a long crappy 2 weeks I needed this haha. Gonna watch some Syracuse games and scout him. Great pickup by Jon. This kid can play; looks like a jack of all trades type. Let's get 2 more.
Welcome Malik Brown. Looking forward to seeing you play.
Elite defender; shot 70%from the field. MM and SS were in the 50's. Upgrade. We needed an upperclassman in the frontcourt who will play and now we have one. Well done Jon and staff. I am more bullish on next year; esp. if we bring in 1-2 more.

Last edited:
YES!!!!
Great news. It's been a long crappy 2 weeks I needed this haha. Gonna watch some Syracuse games and scout him. Great pickup by Jon. This kid can play; looks like a jack of all trades type. Let's get 2 more.
Elite defender; shot 70%from the field. MM and SS were in the 50's. Upgrade.
I’ll add that he seems to play a little more “above the rim”. Something we didn’t have last year.

YES!!!!
Elite defender; shot 70%from the field. MM and SS were in the 50's. Upgrade. We needed an upperclassman in the frontcourt who will play and now we have one. Well done Jon and staff. I am more bullish on next year; esp. if we bring in 1-2 more.
This kid can play. Perfect pickup. We all (me included) need to get out of the development stage of kids possibly being good and get into the mindset of who is good. This kid is good!

This kid can do the dirty work and allow Cooper to roam and pick his spots. I am watching the Duke/Syracuse game and will post some thoughts. I realize this was Brown's best game of the season.
Also...this answers the question if we can bring in good transfers. Brown is not a marquee name but is starter quality for us. Proud of Jon for adapting and seeing a need and addressing it. This probably drove Stewart out the door but we just got better.

Last edited:
This kid can do the dirty work and allow Cooper to roam and pick his spots. I am watching the Duke/Syracuse game and will post some thoughts. I realize this was Brown's best game of the season.
Also...this answers the question if we can bring in good transfers. Brown is not a marquee name but is starter quality for us. Proud of Jon for adapting and seeing a need and addressing it. This probably drove Stewart out the door but we just got better.

9.5 ppg, 7.2 boards. ACC steals leader. A very solid Basketball player to join this Duke team! 🕺🏀

It didn’t drive Stewart out the door . IMO Stewart was never a lock to return . No one is any more .

My thoughts on Brown in the Cameron game this year.
1. He runs the floor like a deer and finishes well. Not sure why he's not starting. Probably more of a 4 than a 5.
2. Mitchell and Brown the best 2 players on the floor; at least this game.
3. Foster looks good. I like how he is always in attack mode.
4. Mark Mitchell is a stud. That is a big loss. He should blow up next year. Granted he did not play this well all the time. he will get more shots at Missouri; will he make them?
5. Brown can finish. Vicious dunk in traffic.
6. Brown is a good rebounder.
7. I wish Blakes had stayed. That said; he just drove right into the Syracuse defender in open space for a charge. My God that was awkward. Blakes plays hard but plays the game like it's football.
8. Brown guards well in open space; should be able to switch on screens. Lance Thomas junior/senior year is a comp.
9. Overall; about like MM on a good day. I wanted to keep MM; so Brown is a nice get. To me they are about the same; but I liked MM.
10. Brown seems to live around the rim. But he seems to recognize this.

Last edited:
Reactions: bullcity gamer
My thoughts on Brown in the Cameron game this year.
1. He runs the floor like a deer and finishes well. Not sure why he's not starting. Probably more of a 4 than a 5.
2. Mitchell and Brown the best 2 players on the floor; at least this game.
3. Foster looks good. I like how he is always in attack mode.
4. Mark Mitchell is a stud. That is a big loss. He should blow up next year. Granted he did not play this well all the time.
5. Brown can finish. Vicious dunk in traffic.
6. Brown is a good rebounder.
7. I wish Blakes had stayed. That said; he just drove right into the Syracuse defender in open space for a charge. My God that was awkward. Blakes plays hard but plays the game like it's football.
8. Brown guards well in open space; should be able to switch on screens. Lance Thomas junior/senior year is a comp.
9. Overall; about like MM on a good day. I wanted to keep MM; so Brown is a nice get.
Am I the only one that finds it funny that in less then a week and a half he is already at a new school? Speaking on Mitchell? Something tells me the plans were set in motion way before the end of he season .

Am I the only one that finds it funny that in less then a week and a half he is already at a new school? Speaking on Mitchell? Something tells me the plans were set in motion way before the end of he season .
His dad was clearly unhappy with things. MM said the right things; but it seems he agreed. It's not Jon's fault he couldn't hit the side of the barn. Jon stuck with him through the shooting slump. MM could have been our starting 4; but Brown is a nice consolation prize. Brown seems to be more okay with a supporting role from what I've seen. He knows he is not coming to Duke to be the focal point. I wish MM well; but it stings to lose those guys. MM needs a consistent shot to ever have a chance at the NBA. Bottom line; if MM wanted to remain at Duke he would have.

His dad was clearly unhappy with things. MM said the right things; but it seems he agreed. It's not Jon's fault he couldn't hit the side of the barn. Jon stuck with him through the shooting slump. MM could have been our starting 4; but Brown is a nice consolation prize. Brown seems to be more okay with a supporting role from what I've seen. He knows he is not coming to Duke to be the focal point. I wish MM well; but it stings to lose those guys. MM needs a consistent shot to ever have a chance at the NBA. Bottom line; if MM wanted to remain at Duke he would have.
I agree. Brown is a welcome addition to the roster and believe he can play Mitchell’s spot .

Reactions: christophero
They weren’t

Power and Stewart were probably unable to make big contributions next year. Maybe they will develop; maybe not. But they both have a long, long way to go for various reasons. With Hurt you could just see elite offense his freshman year. When he scored 20 against FSU you just knew it was coming. I just didn't see it with those 2. Stewart has elite hops but just seems to have far to go in all other aspects of the game. They may get there; but it may take a season or two. Stewart has a better chance than Power imo. Stewart has an elite skill that could possibly end up in the NBA down the line.

Last edited:
It’s over, but the 3 guard offense hurt us. We didn’t use that to our advantage by running more. So I think it’s fair to suggest Jon should have rotated Proctor, Foster, and Roach, with McCain getting the majority from the other guard spot.

I’m bringing that up because I think it hurt Stewart possibly getting better. He didn’t play much, and it looks even worse due to Mitchell being who he was.

Maybe he wasn’t good enough, but we’re only speculating that Brown is going to be an upgrade over Stewart.

If he is though, and the guys play together, then it’s very possible Duke will be dangerous next season.

They weren’t
Please share ? Because Roach is a proven scorer and yet to choose a school even though he is highly wanted . So you are saying Missou can teach him and give him the advantage over Duke to get to the next level ?

Reactions: Devilinside
Some need to look at it like this . If Mark was a true 3D player. Why did so many teams sag off him on the perimeter ? He is a post scorer in the mold of Gerald Wallace . Can hit the three on occasion but attacking the rim is his strength. If Mitchell wanted to stay at Duke he would have but he didn’t . It’s time to move on from him.

Mark was very good for Duke. I don't care what some think, he was a very good player. Hopefully, Brown and Mark are equally as good and Brown gives us quality minutes. I think he will.

Gillis is next!
Agreed Jimbo. I can't say yet that Brown is an upgrade; but it seems to be a fair trade off at least. Brown fills a need for sure; experience, defense, rebounding, and good finishing ability.

YES!!!!
You guys are going to love what Maliq brings to the table. He was my favorite Orange player last year.

That's great news Hammer! I just watched the Duke/Cuse game and was impressed by Autry's intensity. I think you guys have a good coach.

Please share ? Because Roach is a proven scorer and yet to choose a school even though he is highly wanted . So you are saying Missou can teach him and give him the advantage over Duke to get to the next level ?
Won’t get specific, but will say it wasn’t an only Mitchell decision.

@sheyduke play some Billy Joel on the jukebox for me.
(hint : (who needs a house out in Hackensack)

Last edited:
Meanwhile at tar hole country they have lost Bacot, Ryan, Trimble, and Ingram. Maybe a 2nd NIT invite in the last 3 seasons coming up for the holes in 2025.
Did Ingram transfer? I am pretty sure he was a junior last year.

They have Davis, cadeau, and a stud freshmen. Unfortunately They will be fine once they fill some gaps in the portal.

Last edited:
Mitchell wanted to play the sf position. The same responsibilities as last year. Here comes Cooper. It messed up everything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT