ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

I hope you’re right @bullcity gamer about the holes not being good next season, but go back to before last season and read many posters comments about them being bad. If RJ stays, and they grab a couple solid players out of the portal, they’ll be ok.

It’s nothing personal against Mitchell, but he just isn’t good enough. Some want to say otherwise because he played for Duke, but he transferred down. The fact he landed at Missouri should tell us plenty about his game. Maybe he improves, but his offense is just too bad right now to be a 30 minute guy on a high level team.

I hope you’re right @bullcity gamer about the holes not being good next season, but go back to before last season and read many posters comments about them being bad. If RJ stays, and they grab a couple solid players out of the portal, they’ll be ok.

It’s nothing personal against Mitchell, but he just isn’t good enough. Some want to say otherwise because he played for Duke, but he transferred down. The fact he landed at Missouri should tell us plenty about his game. Maybe he improves, but his offense is just too bad right now to be a 30 minute guy on a high level team.
They’ll be good.. we say this every year. “Holes lose so much they’ll be awful” then they get three transfers and a player back for his 10th season and they look great

Indeed. Most of the minutes came middle and later in the year. Looks like he started about half his possible games in his two years at Syracuse. Hopefully he fills a solid role off the bench.
Jimbo, I really think he competes for a starting role.At the very least, I think Maliq could be CONSIDERED a starter off the bench with the significant minutes I see him getting.

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
They’ll be good.. we say this every year. “Holes lose so much they’ll be awful” then they get three transfers and a player back for his 10th season and they look great
And their fans are dragging us thru the mud right now too, talking about the mass number of "DOOK" departures. Fine, let 'em talk, we'll be right there next year again. None of 'em talk about Duke going one game further this past season. Even though we lost to State, their butts were on the couch.
#GTHCGTH

OFC

And their fans are dragging us thru the mud right now too, talking about the mass number of "DOOK" departures. Fine, let 'em talk, we'll be right there next year again. None of 'em talk about Duke going one game further this past season. Even though we lost to State, their butts were on the couch.
#GTHCGTH

OFC
There also crying about whiffing on every portal center. Shows you truly have to balance transfers/ recruiting. Let them lose Davis and rely on that young backcourt

Am I the only one that finds it funny that in less then a week and a half he is already at a new school? Speaking on Mitchell? Something tells me the plans were set in motion way before the end of he season .
It was quick for certain. Too quick.

OFC

While they may get Davis for a 10th season. Aka the Bacot plan. The two guys who decided last years games are gone. (Ingram/Ryan) Cadeau doesn’t scare anybody. I have no doubt they’ll get some guys though and be good. Carolina has always gotten players even during times when Duke was getting better ones. Roy getting to his last two FF’s before he retired was because no one over there would leave. Justin Jackson was the highest rated recruit for his class still even playing in College Basketball. In the 90’s we were told by Carolina fans that players staying in Durham was selfish of K, hindering player development and hurting the “kids.” No older Carolina fan who was around can deny it. I was on all those boards in the late 90’s. AOL, Tarheel Talk, etc.

Fast forward a couple decades and oh how times have changed. Now Duke has had the NBA early entry far more with OAD over the last decade and some change while Carolina fans have been perfectly fine with their kids staying in school forever. (Lol) I don’t think even a unc fan believes now that they’ll keep their guys like that any more once RJ Davis gets his first social security check and retires.

Last edited:
While they may get Davis for a 10th season. Aka the Bacot plan. The two guys who decided last years games are gone. (Ingram/Ryan) Cadeau doesn’t scare anybody. I have no doubt they’ll get some guys though and be good. Carolina has always gotten players even during times when Duke was getting better ones. Roy getting to his last two FF’s before he retired was because no one over there would leave. Justin Jackson was the highest rated recruit for his class still even playing in College Basketball. In the 90’s we were told by Carolina fans that players staying in Durham was selfish of K, hindering player development and hurting the “kids.” No older Carolina fan who was around can deny it. I was on all those boards in the late 90’s. AOL, Tarheel Talk, etc.

Fast forward a couple decades and oh how times have changed. Now Duke has had the NBA early entry far more with OAD over the last decade and some change while Carolina fans have been perfectly fine with their kids staying in school forever. (Lol) I don’t think even a unc fan believes now that they’ll keep their guys like that any more once RJ Davis gets his first social security check and retires.
Davis, at least at this point looks to face a lot more pressure to score the ball this year.

OFC

Won’t get specific, but will say it wasn’t an only Mitchell decision.
Then that goes along with my original post of it was not a spur of the moment thing not to mention he announced before the end of season banquet .

Reactions: hart2chesson
Jimbo, I really think he competes for a starting role.At the very least, I think Maliq could be CONSIDERED a starter off the bench with the significant minutes I see him getting.

OFC
I think he will start most games. Duke identified him pretty early and thinking they want Flagg to be more in a sf role. And guessing they went hard for him because they didn’t feel Stewart would be ready to give 20-25 minutes a game yet.

Brown had the highest plus/minus on Syracuse last year. He's the type of player I wanted last summer from the portal. Glad we closed the deal. And other than learning the plays, he's a known quantity, so we don't have to spend half the season waiting for him to figure it out. Plus he was only a sophomore so he can still improve. Jon said he was the perfect fit for our team and I agree.

Last edited:
Maybe Brown can help. I think a Sophomore Stewart would have been as equally productive as Brown was in his 2nd season. It will be interesting to see how much time he gets as the Superstar Freshies roll in

Maybe Brown can help. I think a Sophomore Stewart would have been as equally productive as Brown was in his 2nd season. It will be interesting to see how much time he gets as the Superstar Freshies roll in
To be honest Duke has no one that really plays pf. From everything I have read Flagg is the starting sf. Mal and Pat are centers . So he could start from day one .

To be honest Duke has no one that really plays pf. From everything I have read Flagg is the starting sf. Mal and Pat are centers . So he could start from day one .
I think Flagg could easily play the 4 in college and pros however his game is probably more like a 3 at least in terms of pre guard heavy nba style. I am guessing Duke feels getting a player like brown will maximize flaggs role to not get beat up all game.
I know some will be pissed but I think brown will play the 5 a lot too at least until the freshmen bigs fully adjust.

OFC
It will all depend if cooper is PF or SF. I think Maliq can be a very solid player for us, but I'm not ready to say he's a starter just yet. Still a very good pickup!

Reactions: jamsession2
1-proctor
2-evans
3-flagg
4-malauch
5-brown/ngongba

Starters?
I hope ngongba comes in a beast. He could be an X factor that allows these guys to take advantage of their size.

Last edited:
My thoughts on Brown in the Cameron game this year.
1. He runs the floor like a deer and finishes well. Not sure why he's not starting. Probably more of a 4 than a 5.
2. Mitchell and Brown the best 2 players on the floor; at least this game.
3. Foster looks good. I like how he is always in attack mode.
4. Mark Mitchell is a stud. That is a big loss. He should blow up next year. Granted he did not play this well all the time. he will get more shots at Missouri; will he make them?
5. Brown can finish. Vicious dunk in traffic.
6. Brown is a good rebounder.
7. I wish Blakes had stayed. That said; he just drove right into the Syracuse defender in open space for a charge. My God that was awkward. Blakes plays hard but plays the game like it's football.
8. Brown guards well in open space; should be able to switch on screens. Lance Thomas junior/senior year is a comp.
9. Overall; about like MM on a good day. I wanted to keep MM; so Brown is a nice get. To me they are about the same; but I liked MM.
10. Brown seems to live around the rim. But he seems to recognize this.
I believe brown hit a couple corner threes that game as well...the 4 will have to go out wherever he is unlike MM...his shot made it hard for the guards to drive effectively imo

#GTHCGTH

OFC
Most irrational fanbase in the country and that’s including Kentucky. Zero self awareness F’ing clowns!

I think we need a guard more. If Proctor or Foster get injured, as they both did this year, we'd be down to one guard. I've been hearing the Wisconsin kid can handle the ball, but he seems like more of a wing.

Reactions: BNM79
My question is how does Baylor have five legit guards on their roster? Is Roach even going to start? Wright a top 25 recruit going to decommit? They have Roach, Nunn, Love, VJ Edgecome and Wright. Funny thing is VJ went to Baylor because he was afraid of playing time. Crazy is Duke can’t even get a third guard on the roster. Is it NIL, not willing to pay? Roach definitely would have got more PT here at Duke. Something doesn’t add up.

Maybe Roach can transfer back to us. We need a guard.
So Roach left a team with 2 guards to go to a team with 4 guards? I've heard the 1.5 million NIL deal is false.

FYI, Chris they have 5 guards on their roster not 4. I really don’t understand why he left except for 1.5 million. That is the only reason. He will be lucky to get 20 minutes a game with Baylor.

Reactions: christophero
There were rumors of discontent on the team, and 7 transfers seems to confirm this. I heard a lot that NIL was going to keep people around. How would guys know they would get more NIL elsewhere?

I think we need a guard more. If Proctor or Foster get injured, as they both did this year, we'd be down to one guard. I've been hearing the Wisconsin kid can handle the ball, but he seems like more of a wing.
Knuppel looked better than i expected in the Jordan Brand Classic. Very good outside shot, but active around the basket as well. Worked hard on D. I think we’ll like him.

I'm sure players talk about their NIL. Maybe they caught wind guys from other teams were making a lot more. Who knows.

How good of a guard can Jon get? Come to Durham, you’ll sit more than you’ll play. Unless we have injuries. Which speaking of, every good team is an injury away from one of their stars to not being contenders.

If Gillis comes, is Jon saying that Evan’s, Knueppel, Harris, Flagg, and Brown aren’t good enough to get the job done? That would be six guys 6-5 to 6-9, and all shooting guards/small forwards. Plus Foster and Proctor.

Most teams only have maybe four to six guys that are solid contributors. We are going to have a bench full. That’s all good if those picking splinters are ok with it.

And there will be guys we wonder why they aren’t playing.

How good of a guard can Jon get? Come to Durham, you’ll sit more than you’ll play. Unless we have injuries. Which speaking of, every good team is an injury away from one of their stars to not being contenders.

If Gillis comes, is Jon saying that Knueppel, Harris, Flagg, and Brown aren’t good enough to get the job done? That would be five guys 6-5 to 6-9, and all shooting guards/small forwards. Plus Foster and Proctor.

Most teams only have maybe four to six guys that are solid contributors. We are going to have a bench full. That’s all good if those picking splinters are ok with it.

And there will be guys we wonder why they aren’t playing.
How is Baylor able to pull Roach with 4 guards already on their roster? You think he will play more then 20 minutes with those guards they have?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT