ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

How is Baylor able to pull Roach with 4 guards already on their roster? You think he will play more than 20 minutes with those guards they have?
Personally, I think that’s too many guards on one team. But that’s Baylor’s problem to deal with.

Duke would not benefit with Roach, Foster, and Proctor all together.

Roach has had 4 years to prove he can play PG. I don't blame him for wanting a change or more NIL. I've never seen Roach on a mock draft, so this is his chance. That said, he could make NIL at Duke too, just not as much. Looking at Baylor's guards he may only be the 3rd best guard. I do think if we fall behind in the NIL game it will start to hurt the team. We can't bring classes like this upcoming one in every year. I'm not crazy about how out of control NIL is, but the can of worms has been opened.

Last edited:
I don’t fault Roach, that’s a lot of money. It’s the system of college sports now. Money is more important than playing time & winning.

Reactions: christophero
Maybe Duke can grab Robert Wright III after he decomitts from Baylor. Top 25 and 4th ranked pg in this class. From Montverde Academy and teammates with Cooper Flagg. I know it’s another freshman but might be a good option too. Too bad we didn’t take a shot at Liam McNeely.

Last edited:
Maybe Duke can grab Robert Wright III after he decomitts from Baylor. Top 25 and 4th ranked pg in this class. From Montverde Academy and teammates with Cooper Flagg. I know it’s another freshman but might be a good option too. Too bad we didn’t take a shot at Liam McNeely.
Duke recruited McNeely for a while, but never offered. Not sure why. Hope he has a bad visit at UConn.

I like McNeely but he is too similar to 3 of Duke's recruits. Duke's staff liked the buys they got better. Time will tell.

My question is how does Baylor have five legit guards on their roster? Is Roach even going to start? Wright a top 25 recruit going to decommit? They have Roach, Nunn, Love, VJ Edgecome and Wright. Funny thing is VJ went to Baylor because he was afraid of playing time. Crazy is Duke can’t even get a third guard on the roster. Is it NIL, not willing to pay? Roach definitely would have got more PT here at Duke. Something doesn’t add up.
Edgecombe is going to be getting lot of playing time

Last edited:
Edgecombe is going to be getting lot of playing time
I agree 100%, so if he plays 30+ minutes at the 2 what is left for the other four guards on their roster? Is the top 4 pg in this class going to be happy backing up Roach and playing 5 minutes? Not sure the rest of their roster and if they are going to play 3 guards. But still a lot of mouths to feed

Reactions: jamsession2
My question is how does Baylor have five legit guards on their roster? Is Roach even going to start? Wright a top 25 recruit going to decommit? They have Roach, Nunn, Love, VJ Edgecome and Wright. Funny thing is VJ went to Baylor because he was afraid of playing time. Crazy is Duke can’t even get a third guard on the roster. Is it NIL, not willing to pay? Roach definitely would have got more PT here at Duke. Something doesn’t add up.
Supposedly VJ going to Baylor wasn’t pt related but more $

Reactions: sheyduke
I agree 100%, so if he plays 30+ minutes at the 2 what is left for the other four guards on their roster? Is the top 4 pg in this class going to be happy backing up Roach and playing 5 minutes? Not sure the rest of their roster and if they are going to play 3 guards. But still a lot of mouths to feed
Baylor, like Houston, will run 3 guards the entire game. The guards must be tough, press, fast, and attack at all times. I believe at times Duke kept a leash on Roach. Duke was not a team last year that would press their opponents from baseline to baseline. Personally, I like that aggressive play. Duke had those types of players years ago, but it was not something done on a regular.

And there will be guys we wonder why they aren’t playing.
Well, that's pretty much par for the course for us, no??

Lots of good reading here guys, thanks for all who are posting. There are so many unknowns, so it's fun to speculate. The portal and transfers seem to be the current landscape of college basketball, and Duke being Duke seems to get the worst of it. It is hard to be a fan with 2 returning players, one of whom barely played this past season due to injury.

Reactions: SWEc/o95
And sit who? We have Foster and Proctor. Plus Evans, Harris, Knueppel. We also are in the hunt for Gillis.

And sit who? We have Foster and Proctor. Plus Evans, Harris, Knueppel. We also are in the hunt for Gillis.
Harris, Knueppel and Gillis are more 3’s or SF’s. But I guess they could play some minutes at the 2 if needed. The issue with them playing the 2 would be defense in my opinion at the college level. If Proctor or Foster get injured again Duke will be hurting at guard depth. Just my opinion unless they find help in portal. Right now I see the majority of the 1 & 2 spots minutes will come from Proctor, Foster and Evans. I prefer they don’t have to play 35+ minutes.

Harris, Knueppel and Gillis are more 3’s or SF’s. But I guess they could play some minutes at the 2 if needed. The issue with them playing the 2 would be defense in my opinion at the college level. If Proctor or Foster get injured again Duke will be hurting at guard depth. Just my opinion unless they find help in portal. Right now I see the majority of the 1 & 2 spots minutes will come from Proctor, Foster and Evans. I prefer they don’t have to play 35+ minutes.
Harris can play some at sg so can Knup. Pretty sure the staff had an idea of who can switch and play where on the court.

Harris can play some at sg so can Knup. Pretty sure the staff had an idea of who can switch and play where on the court.
Yeah I mentioned some and they might have too. I feel more comfortable with those two over Gillis if he ends up committing to Duke. Gillis will be more of a SF/small lineup stretch 4. I would love to add Gillis though, would be a nice addition. I don’t see Duke running much 3 guard lineups with the makeup of this roster as it is today.

This was one portal player I wanted at Duke . Doesn’t command the ball, plays two ways and knows his role .

Welcome young man
Agreed. I think hes the most important pickup for Duke. Ultimate glue guy who brings TONS of experience at 23 years old, hustles, rebounds and shoots the 3 at a high clip.

6th man of the year in the big ten is a big deal so he knows his role. At his height/weight, he can play SF or even PF as he's not a guard to crowd that SG room.

Last edited:
Thanks Boiler1987, I know I’m very excited to have him on the roster. He sounds like a perfect addition.
He’s a guy that will be easy to root for. He was at Purdue 5 years (redshirted his freshman year) and left with a bachelors and masters degree. We knew going into the year that he wouldn’t be coming back for a 6th season so hopefully we don’t have to play you guys because that would suck to have to root against him haha.

We seemed to have upped our portal game.
Or are these players who are looking at life after basketball? Plus the pf spot has the most minutes available on next years squad . Don’t need more bigs . A mature guard who can play the 1-3 is needed simply to help out with the youngsters.

I didn't want to go there but I was thinking that too.
Or could it be as simple as the players didn’t want to buy into the staffs plans for them .
Schutt and Reeves were pretty much gone I think we all could agree with that . Blakes and Roach graduated , Mitchell I think that anyone who knows basketball saw the writing on the wall after his father’s comments . That’s just leaves Stewart and Power who I truly believe wanted more playing time and simply didn’t see it at Duke.
I don’t think the staff told them to look else where . I think it was more or less not guaranteeing them what they wanted to hear .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT