ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

The merry-go-round of rosters makes it extremely difficult for the coaches...from a teaching perspective. Every year, we are back to square one because we return so few players...relearning and teaching defensive schemes/Offensive sets, etc..it has to be incredibly frustrating for the Staff. Its probably one of the underlying reasons why teams that are older and return more players do well in March.

It sucks but it’s the new normal.

I said I was done posting on this thread, but I just stopped back to say that it is gratifying to see how many of you are just as fed up as I am.
OFC

Older College Hoops fans are getting more and more disgusted. My unc-chapel hill branch brother in law who has been a fan 40+ years told me he’s not sure how many more years he can hang on with the current situation in College Basketball.

Prior to 2021 if a recruit was handed a candy bar and T-shirt on a visit from a fan that theoretically could have eligibility concerns. Now you can just pay someone $1.2 million dollars (see Arizona/IU) to change schools. So until 2021 that was called cheating, now it’s the NIL open market. 🤦🏻‍♂️

This seems to be an American problem. Like politics, either it’s too extreme one way or too extreme the other when most would like a more less crazy middle area. With the NCAA, same thing, greed, hypocrisy and ridiculous rules to a total free for all where you can go after someone’s current player and bid for their services, pay em the big bucks and they can just transfer around without any penalty for doing so and play for multiple schools.

A brutal environment for Coaches. Unreal.

I’m shocked izzo hasn’t retired, old guys saw the $hit show and got out. The slime guys like cal, self, pitino are operating like they always have lol

I think he’s always badly wanted that second ring. Extremely hard to get just one. (UConn aside)

I got you. No problem.

2025-26 Roster
Starters

Freshman
Freshman
Transfer
Transfer
Freshman

2nd Unit
Transfer
Freshman
Transfer
Freshman
Freshmen
I agree with this 100%. Next year transfers will probably be Kon, Harris and Ngonba. Crazy stuff

Last edited:
Reactions: dukedevilz
I agree with this 100%. Next year transfers will probably be Kon, Harris and Ngonba. Crazy stuff
Using my Lee Corso voice: NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND.

It's not out of the question that one (or more) of our freshmen to be may become freshmen that didn't.

Reactions: mbdfan
I'm more excited about Cooper Flagg, but that might just be me.
Me too. He will likely be the best player on the team which is why I didn’t mention him. He is also going to be a really good nba player. However, I am curious about everyone’s expectations during his one year. How good does everyone think Flagg will be for us next season? Will he be better than rj barret? Tatum as a freshman? Banchero? Do yall think generational talent as a freshman?

Last edited:
Me too. He will likely be the best player on the team which is why I didn’t mention him. He is also going to be a really good nba player. However, I am curious about everyone’s expectations during his one year. How good does everyone think Flagg will be for us next season? Will he be better than rj barret? Tatum as a freshman? Banchero? Do yall think generational talent as a freshman?
I can actually see Cooper having a season like Jason Tatum's. Tatum averaged 16.8 points, 7.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.3 steals and 1.1 blocks per game.

I don't think he will be as good as Banchero and will probably not score as many points per game as Barrett, but will probably have a better all around game than Barrett.

Reactions: Jjallen
It’s time for the NCAA to step in and sign mens college basketball over to the NBA . Either that or go ahead and make NIL a contract . They want to get paid , fine with me but make them sign a two year contract and be done with it . It’s a joke . Anyone who thinks these are seriously student athletes anymore are plumb crazy .

Just brutal, maybe some way Duke can hold onto Stewart. Can’t believe there is a chance that only two players return. It’s almost as bad Kentucky losing every player but they have an excuse they lost a HOF coach. Might need 4 players from the portal now.

Reactions: christophero
Just brutal, maybe some way Duke can hold onto Stewart. Can’t believe there is a chance that only two players return. It’s almost as bad Kentucky losing every player but they have an excuse they lost a HOF coach. Might need 4 players from the portal now.
I honestly think they might only get two from the portal. Maybe the Syracuse kid and a guard, get anyone and hell someone will decommit. New era sucks

Reactions: sheyduke
Duke will be find!! Word on the street this group didn’t work hard. That only 2-3 guys put in that extra work doing the year to help improve your game! My take is the coaches told these guys it might be better if you found somewhere else to play! Duke needs some dogs! Flagg a dog, Evans a dog, Mal is intimidated, Proctor a dog he the only one I saw talk shit on the court, Stewart a dog and Foster has some dog in him now get 3 older transfers Duke will be a top 3 team next year!

With all of these forwards, not sure how tj power was going to help Duke or better himself by staying. He would have wasted a year of eligibility.

Reactions: mbdfan
Absolute insanity. I am 100% behind players getting paid. The NCAA makes too much off of them to not give them a cut. That said, it shouldn’t mean the players can just bounce around and screw over every team they commit to by chasing the bag.

And if the on-court/field product drops in quality to a point where people don’t care anymore then there won’t be any bags to chase. It’s not a sustainable practice and it needs to nipped in the bud and fast. It’s not going to be good for anyone long term.

Going forward as a coach... I'm seeking and recruiting HUNGRY 3 stars and 2 stars. I want someone who is willing to put in work. I'm hiring a psychologist to do mental profiles of each player to determine if they are mental strong and tough enough to get better... SO many of these kids now are so weak minded, and want instant gratification. Do they not know, the next school has someone/multiple players in your position and NONE of these schools are BUILDING THEIR ROSTER AROUND YOU... You will be a PIECE TO THE PUZZLE, as you were at your previous school... this Power transfer is Mind blowing... (Reeves, Blakes, Schutt I 1000% understand their decisions) (Roach and Mitchell I 80% understand theirs) (Power 0%, mind blowing. Put in some work, earn PT, YOU WERE A FRESHMAN, GOING into your sophomore year, make a role for yourself)... Kids are on the mentally soft side now, with made decision making abilities.

Reactions: jamsession2
What’s bad is the five freshman will all likely be gone next year as well. Two or maybe three to the NBA and the rest to the portal .
Very likely. But will add the one caveat that Duke would probably match any NIL deal for a player they want to be a part of their core. For example if kon got limited minutes next year and was considering the transfer portal but Duke saw him as a core player in his second year, Duke would probably be able to keep the player in a lot of those situations

It’s best just to sit back and let it all play out. Nobody knows what the roster will be year to year anymore. It’s all speculation and opinion.

Just sit back….let it all play out….then cheer for what we got.

It sure has taken some fire out of caring about college sports though….no doubt about that.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Flip side though is we had a team that returned four starters, a highly rated recruiting class and lost no one to transfer. Yet they did not win anything in the ACC, was 20 minutes from the final four but ultimately it didn’t happen..

Just getting a bunch of them back is no guarantee of anything. I’d like to get the Syracuse kid who has been visiting this week. He’s 6’8, 220, the ACC steals leader and put up 26 in Durham including 5 dunks.

We better sign some guys , if not will be long season

Nah, It’s not gonna be a long season with that roster. Not with who we know as of this moment is gonna be in Durham. We just need some more players to go with them right now and I’m sure Duke will be adding some more.

Kentucky, Louisville, Arky, etc. have no roster right now. Duke has a large recruiting class and a good back court coming back. (Plus Stewart at least so far) no comparison with the scenarios they’re facing right now versus Duke. Duke is working to shore up a national championship contender. Those schools are working to be able to field a team.

Last edited:
I guess you could argue it's similar to 2 years ago with the Lively class. I just hate this turnover. We are being poached by the NBA and the portal now. Why would anyone want to be a coach in this chaos.

Reactions: Player2020
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT