ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Arizona’s big is leaving for $1.3 Million to Indiana. (And just think, this was classified as cheating four years ago) 🤷🏻‍♂️

I wish Jeremy well and appreciate some nice memories as he’s been an ACC Champ and gone to the Final Four. He’s maxed out his Duke time. If he can't make it with an NBA team then some school is going to pay him some nice $$$. The problem for Jeremy is he’s a very good guard in a sport that’s full of very good guards everywhere. He’s not an elite guard and is rather injury prone.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke83
No more departures and two from portal. Close on Brown and possibly Gillis and that’s the roster. Expect this by this time next week. That’s a great off season in today’s landscape.
Gillis- 46.8% from 3 and 82% from FT and currently 23.. I’ll take it all day off the bench that’s BIG

Brown- a dog who rebounds, shoots 69.8 overall and 37% from 3 with two years left led the league in steals and fourth for D player of the year all while playing out of positions most of the year.. another big get

I personally feel we need another guard but these two and lose nothing else is a BIG win for the program

Roach was not run off, geez. Proctor, Foster, and Roach are all qualified college starting guards. Scheyer doesn’t want to do the starting 3 guards approach like he did last season and he shouldn’t because the size this upcoming season’s team offers. Only two starting guard positions are available, Proctor and Foster both announced before Roach they were returning to Duke. Roach is looking out for what gives him the best opportunity to showcase himself to the nba as he should! NBA or go to another school where he can be a starting guard. Roach was fantastic in March during his time at Duke, he can score, and he developed into a Leader. Roach will be fine, the kid is a Winner.
I don''t know if Roach has any interest in coaching. If he does, transferring could make sense from that perspective, too. He's already learned from 2 excellent coaches. If he's been taking notes and can learn from another top coach in his final year, that could serve him well down the road.

If you were Roach and thinking that way, what coaches would you want to learn from? Which of them have starter spots open?

I don''t know if Roach has any interest in coaching. If he does, transferring could make sense from that perspective, too. He's already learned from 2 excellent coaches. If he's been taking notes and can learn from another top coach in his final year, that could serve him well down the road.

If you were Roach and thinking that way, what coaches would you want to learn from? Which of them have starter spots open?
This. He has a future and an interest in coaching. That’s why I think what he did was so selfless. He could have easily stayed and was asked to.

Reactions: sheyduke
Been watching more highlights. Here is what my highly experienced one year of jv high school coaching background (ages ago) sees. Out of all the recruits, I think I am most excited about Evans. He plays with an edge that we were missing last year. Kon (sf) looks more like a guard to me. He looks slow on film but maybe that is deliberate and deceiving. I think malauch is the wild card. Is there any tape of him playing other 5 stars? The tape I have seen makes him look like an adult playing kids in rec ball. Reminds me of bill Murray blocking that kids shot in Rushmore. It’s obvious though that his potential is through the roof and undoubtedly will be one and done. Can he adapt to college ball quickly enough to be the difference maker and help us win a championship before he leaves?

Where are you getting your info from ? Roach loves Duke but sometimes a change of scenery is needed and it’s for personal growth . Pretty sure after four years he got a degree from Duke . You are only young once and don’t think schools aren’t interested in a four year college player with Roaches scoring capabilities.
There's merit to the argument that the split between Roach and Duke was mutual. He was less than 50-50 coming back last year. I think the decision was mutually beneficial, but there was basically no chance of him coming back next year.

Been watching more highlights. Here is what my highly experienced one year of jv high school coaching background (ages ago) sees. Out of all the recruits, I think I am most excited about Evans. He plays with an edge that we were missing last year. Kon (sf) looks more like a guard to me. He looks slow on film but maybe that is deliberate and deceiving. I think malauch is the wild card. Is there any tape of him playing other 5 stars? The tape I have seen makes him look like an adult playing kids in rec ball. Reminds me of bill Murray blocking that kids shot in Rushmore. It’s obvious though that his potential is through the roof and undoubtedly will be one and done. Can he adapt to college ball quickly enough to be the difference maker and help us win a championship before he leaves?
I love a good Rushmore reference.

Reactions: Jjallen
I'm more excited about Cooper Flagg, but that might just be me.

I'm excited about Cooper, but I've been saying for months that Duke will have a very tough time keeping Evans off the court. He's a walking bucket.

I haven't seen enough of Evans to have an opinion of how good he may be. He barely saw the floor in both all star games that were on TV. I've seen more of Harris and he looks like a legit shot maker against high level competition

Last edited:
Let's be honest, no one has inside information on anything! It's all a crap shoot and we never know what 19 and 20 year old kids are going to do in terms of the portal.

I really hope Sean comes back but our pursuit of the Syracuse kid makes me think he's not. I just think Sean would give this team next year three elite rim protectors.

Reactions: mbdfan
Really if every player switches teams each season I will probably lose interest in watching. At least professional sign contracts for 3 to 4 seasons. These players are jumping ship after a season. If they make it that long. Like people are saying next it will be mid season transfers will be allowed because you can’t prevent a player from profiting. This is getting way out of hand. College sports can’t keep allowing this to happen. There is no salary cap and the teams with the biggest boosters will buy all the best players. There is no structure.

Last edited:
The merry-go-round of rosters makes it extremely difficult for the coaches...from a teaching perspective. Every year, we are back to square one because we return so few players...relearning and teaching defensive schemes/Offensive sets, etc..it has to be incredibly frustrating for the Staff. Its probably one of the underlying reasons why teams that are older and return more players do well in March.

I don’t see how It will not affect the quality of US players because college sports will be less about teaching and more of a GM role. Coaches that want to coach/teach will leave the NCAA. NIL is fine but the transfer stuff has to be resolved. Also some fans will leave because part of the reason why fans love college is the indirect relationship they build with players. It is part of the reason I really only watch Duke games until tourney. The one n done era broke my interest in Duke.

Really if every player switches teams each season I will probably lose interest in watching. At least professional sign contracts for 3 to 4 seasons. These players are jumping ship after a season. If they make it that long. Like people are saying next it will be mid season transfers will be allowed because you can’t prevent a player from profiting. This is getting way out of hand. College sports can’t keep allowing this to happen. There is no salary cap and the teams with the biggest boosters will buy all the best players. There is no structure.
They will need to do some form of team control like baseball or the quality and interest in the sport will dip IMO. They have a lot to figure out. It is exciting to get new players but not at the cost of losing so many. I am for the players getting paid given how much was made off of them and a college education isn’t even worth much to regular people anymore. Sometimes things go too far and affect quality of the product.

That’s horrible and at this rate it will be the same every year.
Seems the days of recruiting and keeping guys together are over. Pretty much you’ll need to recruit high school players along with your own team every year. And to add on to the madness

Read somewhere Duke has reached out to St. Mary’s Maheny. He would be a Great Get. The kid can shoot, is a 2X All WCC Player, and has 2 years of eligibility left.

College sports have turned into a total sh%* show. Pay the players many said. Sounds fair in theory. But anyone with half a brain could see this was going to be disastrous. Like I said earlier, the pendulum has swung too far to the other side. There has to be someone in charge, and it can't be the students. It has to be the adults.

There is no good answer on how to coach during this time. It's why all the veteran coaches are leaving. As they should.

When did the transfer portal actually start and without a restriction of sitting out a year. That whole thing just seemed to sneak up on me. First it was grad transfer thing and then suddenly I woke up from or during Covid and it was everyone.

It is what it is. But I spent a lot of time discussing our young guys developing, which was fun. But then many of them left. It reminds me of the Henry Coleman offseason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT