ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Good Lord. Something is definitely amiss. Better lock up Brown ASAP. 9 of 11 guys with eligibility out the door. Flip and McCain made sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: youngman42
It was Non-Sensical not to play him in the last two times we played State given how he turned the game for us in the first one.

Can’t say I blame the kid…kids want to play and the generation has changed. They aren’t waiting….

We either need to play these kids or live in the transfer portal.

If we don’t play them they are leaving every year now with how it’s set up.

Losing Sean is the biggest blow to any of the kids that went into the portal. Losing this many kids to the portal is certainly a bad look.

Jon has to make some moves fast. I stand by my post from yesterday, but he does need to get active fast.

Reactions: jamsession2
Mitchell regressed in year 2 and also brought Daddy problems and Roach gave us four years….Not even close to the same things.

Oh well. At least the band aid's off. Need to get Brown now and a portal guard.

Losing Sean is the biggest blow to any of the kids that went into the portal. Losing this many kids to the portal is certainly a bad look.

Jon has to make some moves fast. I stand by my post from yesterday, but he does need to get active fast.
I agree this is the one that stings a little. Clearly the best athlete and oozing with future potential out of the guys we lost.

Hopefully this was a massive wake up call for the staff. I see a lot of “Darren Harris won’t be college ready” we’ll get ready for him to bolt next year if he doesn’t play. You gotta play these dudes, playing Ryan young this year was malpractice.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Mitchell and Roach started and still left. Guys want to get paid.
I’m not sure Mitchell was a NIL casualty. But certainly the transfers by Schutt, Power, Stewart and Reeves were not NIL-driven. If they felt they had a decent chance of hitting the floor, I think they’d have stayed. I suspect Reeves will end up at a non-Power 5 (maybe D-II) school to show his stuff, then transfer back to a Power 5 school for NIL money. Blakes is never going to play pro ball, so his decision might have been driven by a combination of NIL and just wanting to play for the last time in his career. I’ll be surprised if he has a Jordan Goldwire type breakout.

Part of the problem is we haven't been able to quickly get guys from the portal like other teams do. There are teams who have already brought in 4/5 portal players. I guess the silver lining is our guys didn't drag it out so we have some time.

Last edited:
Unregulated free angency. This is absolutely bonkers man. And it's not just us who is losing freaking everybody. College sports are a mess right now.
Certainly agree. But I’m not sure how you fix it. Now that the NIL/transfer spectre has been let out of Pandora’s Box, how do you get it back in? The NCAA can try to regulate, but the lawyers and their anti-trust lawyers are going to be lined up around the block to fight back. Nothing short of an act of Congress (good luck with that) may be needed.

lol. Transfer portal is a shit show. Sad about Stewart. He seemed to have a good attitude and love Duke. I guess this means we got brown. I would much rather have Stewart than any of the freshmen bigs we got.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Like some of the other OFCs on here, my enthusiasm for CBB and Duke has been waning for a while....this may be the nail in the coffin...i dont want to learn the names of an entire squad every season nor root for a bunch of kids who are only playing for the $$ and not the name on the jersey.

lol. Transfer portal is a shit show. Sad about Stewart. He seemed to have a good attitude and love Duke. I guess this means we got brown. I would much rather have Stewart than any of the freshmen bigs we got.
Getting Brown will more than offset the loss of Stewart. Stewart is an off-the-charts athlete, but he falls short on skills and basketball IQ.

I'll certainly take Brown but he feels very meh compared to having a sophomore Stewart. More than Brown, hope Gillis comes aboard as I think hes more of an impact for next year with our elite recruiting class.

I'd go after the very best available in the portal and make sure they all got paid VERY WELL... worst Class I've ever seen. Weak minded in my opinion. And nothing will change that thought

I’m not sure Mitchell was a NIL casualty. But certainly the transfers by Schutt, Power, Stewart and Reeves were not NIL-driven. If they felt they had a decent chance of hitting the floor, I think they’d have stayed. I suspect Reeves will end up at a non-Power 5 (maybe D-II) school to show his stuff, then transfer back to a Power 5 school for NIL money. Blakes is never going to play pro ball, so his decision might have been driven by a combination of NIL and just wanting to play for the last time in his career. I’ll be surprised if he has a Jordan Goldwire type breakout.
I will say , you might be wrong on the Stewart part from what all I’ve read and I’m not sure any kid stays anymore unless you bend to their demands .

Reactions: timritterus
Some on here this past season were clamoring for Duke to do better work in the transfer portal, but they also want to retain all of Duke’s players. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Duke has 5 scholarships available this off season. Coach Scheyer & Staff need to do a great job and land the right proven players who can mesh with Proctor, Foster, and the incoming Frosh.

Returning Experience:
Proctor
Foster

New Incomers:
Flagg
Evans
Knupple
Maluch
Ngonba
Harris

There is still some time to land experienced and solid veterans. Give Scheyer and The Staff an opportunity to do so this summer.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head U Conn has roughly half their rotation back right now. North Carolina had 2 last time I checked. We seem to be more slow and deliberate in the portal, perhaps due to academics.

Chris, I’ll be honest I really don’t know much about UConn other than their studs.

Castle has declared for the draft, Clinigan is projected top 5 pick in this summer’s draft, Newton has graduated, Dyastra and Karaban are projected to be drafted in this summers draft. The only player I can see returning is Spencer (if he has any eligibility left).

I expect Duke will bring in 3 experienced players. I expect they will perform as well as Stewart and Power would have, or better. I expect I will also miss Stewart and Power because we thought they would stay a few years and we would watch them develop. That didn't happen so we have to move on, just as they did.

LOL no troll here! I been on this site for years! I bleed Duke basketball! I was born and raised in Durham I’m a true Durhamite! Went to Hillside High School played with Rodney Rogers in High School!

You are not a good troll. If you’ve been on this site for years, you wouldn’t be a “Recruit”. Seeing how bad your first post on here was grammatically wise, you’re either a Kentucky or North Carolina fan who has no life.

Go kick rocks, troll. Duke is going to kick your team’s a** in 24-25 whether you’re a wildcat or a tarheel.

Chris, I’ll be honest I really don’t know much about UConn other than their studs.

Castle has declared for the draft, Clinigan is projected top 5 pick in this summer’s draft, Newton has graduated, Dyastra and Karaban are projected to be drafted in this summers draft. The only player I can see returning is Spencer (if he has any eligibility left).
They picked up Reed from Michigan the other day. They’ll reload. The prospect of being on an historic 3-peat is going to get players’ attention. And they have a decent frosh class coming in to help fill holes.

I expect Duke will bring in 3 experienced players. I expect they will perform as well as Stewart and Power would have, or better. I expect I will also miss Stewart and Power because we thought they would stay a few years and we would watch them develop. That didn't happen so we have to move on, just as they did.
I sure hope you’re right. IMO, we need, at minimum, 2 transfers capable of starting. I don’t believe that, in today’s portal-crazy world, any team that has 3 freshmen as part of their starting 5 can win it all. Flagg is a no-brainer, and hopefully one of the other frosh can have a McCain kind of year. But expecting 3 to perform at that level is unrealistic.

Reactions: youngman42

Spencer is gone. They did pick up a center from Michigan.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
With all of these transfers, my only question is as to whether Jon knows how to use his bench. If our recruits were so good before coming here, why did we make such minimal use of them? I find it very hard to believe that Stewart and Power were incapable of giving us significant useful minutes. They invested in Duke, but Duke did not invest in them. They should have been parts of regular rotations. OFC

Something is happening behind the scenes that wet don't know about. I don't believe it's all about nil, playing time, etc. Thought Stewart was going to stay once Mitchell left. This one sucks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT