ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal thread

Coach- are we really giving Shedrick a look? I'd be highly disappointed if he's the route we went. Hopefully we aim a bit higher
Duke met with him because he was right up the road and it's good to have backup options in case plans don't come together......like I said, the plan is Holmes and hopefully a backup plan is not needed.

Duke met with him because he was right up the road and it's good to have backup options in case plans don't come together......like I said, the plan is Holmes and hopefully a backup plan is not needed.
Shedrick is essentially plan D or E. If the things said are true, basically he is fine waiting to see if we miss on options A-C, and at which point we may take him. But Jon isn’t settling. I think we get Holmes when he officially enters, which could be imminent...

Shedrick is essentially plan D or E. If the things said are true, basically he is fine waiting to see if we miss on options A-C, and at which point we may take him. But Jon isn’t settling. I think we get Holmes when he officially enters, which could be imminent...

Please happen please happen pleasseeeeeee

We would be incredibly dominate and it would be hard to hide our excitement

Jessie Edwards names his top 3 and it ain't us.(Kansas, WVU and Gonzaga) The great part about the Virginia center is he actually wants to come here. Holmes hasn't even entered the portal yet. UCLA is having a April like we did last year. Bailey, Campbell, Jaquez, Clark have all declared for the draft, with Bona possibly to follow.

Last edited:
Jessie Edwards names his top 3 and it ain't us.(Kansas, WVU and Gonzaga) The great part about the Virginia center is he actually wants to come here. Holmes hasn't even entered the portal yet. UCLA is having a April like we did last year. Bailey, Campbell, Jaquez, Clark have all declared for the draft, with Bona possibly to follow.
And now it's looking like Holmes may not.

I’m in the camp of I would take Shedrick if we miss out on all of our other targets (which it seems like it’s leaning that way). But for a starting 5, which is what we are hunting, this feels like a settle.

His minutes decreased from 21 mpg to 17.5 mpg last year, and UVA was worse last year than the year prior, shouldn’t they have gone up? He averaged 3.8 rebounds last season, shouldn’t our center be higher than that? Though Flip obviously will be a huge help on the glass (10+ per game hopefully.)

He’s not 2nd half of the year Lively, and he’s definitely not Mark Williams of 2 seasons ago. It’s 2023, guys are moving everywhere, and Duke has a STARTING center position available, guys should be begging to come here for that starting spot. I believe this is the first time we’re hunting a transfer with a starting spot open, usually it’s to fill a bench role.

The rumors on Twitter are that Shedrick wants Duke and he is willing to wait it out to see if we miss our other targets. He seems like a great locker room guy and won’t take anything away from our stars, but it’s still a settle IMO, not a power move.

I’m in the camp of I would take Shedrick if we miss out on all of our other targets (which it seems like it’s leaning that way). But for a starting 5, which is what we are hunting, this feels like a settle.

His minutes decreased from 21 mpg to 17.5 mpg last year, and UVA was worse last year than the year prior, shouldn’t they have gone up? He averaged 3.8 rebounds last season, shouldn’t our center be higher than that? Though Flip obviously will be a huge help on the glass (10+ per game hopefully.)

He’s not 2nd half of the year Lively, and he’s definitely not Mark Williams of 2 seasons ago. It’s 2023, guys are moving everywhere, and Duke has a STARTING center position available, guys should be begging to come here for that starting spot. I believe this is the first time we’re hunting a transfer with a starting spot open, usually it’s to fill a bench role.

The rumors on Twitter are that Shedrick wants Duke and he is willing to wait it out to see if we miss our other targets. He seems like a great locker room guy and won’t take anything away from our stars, but it’s still a settle IMO, not a power move.
It's difficult for me not to see Reeves or Young starting next season. The open center position may be for spot Reeves occupied last season.

I don't understand why people think Reeves would be ahead of Shedrick, a guy who started off and on at Virginia the last 2 seasons. Does Reeves turn into Ralph Sampson during closed practices? I love Young, but Shedrick would probably start over him too. Shedrick could get 20, Young 15 and Reeves 5 on average. Sherdick had a double double in the tournament when the starting center was injured.

It's difficult for me not to see Reeves or Young starting next season. The open center position may be for spot Reeves occupied last season.
Reeves is such a mystery. It’s hard to imagine a guy playing none one year to being a starter the next year. Has that ever happened at Duke? Don’t get me wrong, I like his potential and think something is there, but not as a starter next year. If he sticks it out 4 years at Duke, he will have some great moments.

If Young is our starting center than we aren’t going to a Final Four. Period.

I don't understand why people think Reeves would be ahead of Shedrick, a guy who started off and on Virginia the last 2 seasons. Does Reeves turn into Ralph Sampson during closed practices? I love Young, but Shedrick would probably start over him too. Shedrick could get 20, Young 15 and Reeves 5 on average.
What’s to make sure he’s anything more then insurance due to injuries? Reeves just had ankle surgery so he will need time but in my opinion if you going from starting to coming off the bench for Tony Bennett’s offense what makes anyone think, he’d start at Duke ?

Dayton AD is complaining about tampering in portal. Doesn’t name Duke specifically as the one tampering but it was an article about Holmes and other players that have entered the portal.

They have several players in the portal so I'm sure a ton of schools have reached out. As far as I know Holmes has not officially entered the portal or the draft yet. He may enter the draft; he is listed early to mid second round on some mock drafts. No doubt he's good but I'm not sure we want to put all our eggs in that basket.

Does it really matter who starts at the 5?

Let’s say we start Young, to me that means he’s the first subbed out probably right before or after the first media break.

Young could start and still only play 12-20 minutes depending on game situations and game flow.

Zero possibility.

If I’m being honest my dream is Shedrick AND Holmes comes. And Reeves transfers.

This team is going to be way too good to give important minutes to a guy that a lot of people are calling a “project” or a “mystery”. Just don’t know what’s there.

Haha, Jim, why are you so anti-Shedrick? He's an outstanding defender and rebounder. The kid is an experienced upperclassman with two more years of eligibility left. I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Haha, bleed. If he's honestly our plan C or D, then I suppose it's not terrible. I just really wanted Holmes so Shedrick seems like such a letdown. I'll take him and I do like that he has 2 years left. His stats, along with the videos I've watched of him are really underwhelming. I've been in the camp that Flip is not a 5, but do we really start Young or Shedrick? I honestly hope not and we may have to get creative with the starting lineup because Shedrick is certainly not one of the five best players we have.

End of rant! Haha

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
What’s to make sure he’s anything more then insurance due to injuries? Reeves just had ankle surgery so he will need time but in my opinion if you going from starting to coming off the bench for Tony Bennett’s offense what makes anyone think, he’d start at Duke ?
Agreed 100%, Shey

Zero possibility.

If I’m being honest my dream is Shedrick AND Holmes comes. And Reeves transfers.

This team is going to be way too good to give important minutes to a guy that a lot of people are calling a “project” or a “mystery”. Just don’t know what’s there.
I agree, I feel like there has to be some sort of plan that doesn't involve those 2 being our only centers. I do find it interesting that we haven't been reported as reaching out to any of these other centers that have entered the portal. Particularly Edwards but also some of these other dudes like Cisse from Ok State and Sharp from WKU.

Reactions: Duke937
Zero possibility.

No way do I want to see Reeves transfer. He is going to very good, IMO. He just needs some time, a little more strength and experience, but I see him following Mark Williams’ growth.

Because Flip and Mitchell are really good and not many guys want to be 3rd banana up front

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT