ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal thread

It will be interesting to see what we do. If we get no one, or if we get someone who can't beat out Young, we may play Flip at the 5.

So can we now be patient and know that our current roster is fine but if a significant upgrade/rim protector goes through the pre-draft process and doesn't like what they are hearing, they can still transfer? When is the last date for that?

I am not sure of deadline dates or any of that. What I do know, seems like guys can be added to the roster up until school starting next year, Bagley III was an August addition.

We have a long way to go until we are stuck with what we have (which is still a top 3 roster IMO). It’s pretty clear the staff chose to wait this out rather than take Shedrick. There is the draft combine coming up, where guys will then announce they are returning to a new school after that process, I bet this is when rumors start swirling again about Duke getting a 5.

Regardless..this could drag through the summer. Proctor just last year was a very late addition. There is always a reclass possibility too, bring in a stud 5 star a year early.

So can we now be patient and know that our current roster is fine but if a significant upgrade/rim protector goes through the pre-draft process and doesn't like what they are hearing, they can still transfer? When is the last date for that?
60 days following the end of the regular season (Selection Sunday). Deadline to enter the portal is May 11. NBA Draft decision is May 31.

If we didn't get a 5 from the portal, is there an option to play a 5 out type offense? With a full offseason to sharpen up his ball handling, Flip would be a nightmare matchup. To me, the bigger issue is on the defensive side if we don't get another big. I am a Ryan Young fan, and he could be serviceable, but I think we would struggle defensively against teams with a big front court, especially if we get it foul trouble.

Reactions: jamsession3
If we didn't get a 5 from the portal, is there an option to play a 5 out type offense? With a full offseason to sharpen up his ball handling, Flip would be a nightmare matchup. To me, the bigger issue is on the defensive side if we don't get another big. I am a Ryan Young fan, and he could be serviceable, but I think we would struggle defensively against teams with a big front court, especially if we get it foul trouble.
Great Point. Reeves, in my opinion, will be the defensive, weakside help. Young and Flip will provide the offense. Steward and Mitchell will be good for defensive purposes too.

What will determine a 'Big Frontcourt'? Young(6'10), Reeves(6'11), Flip(6'11), Stewart(6'8), Powers(6'9), and Mitchell(6'8)... our issue with the 'Frontcourt' was the lack of experience. A year of playing and the weightroom should solve some of those concerns.

Stewart is the wildcard here. At 6-8, 230 he's probably not going to be a 30 mpg option at the 5. But he's an excellent run/jump athlete. He's raw offensively but if he can rebound and defend he should be able to be part of a three-headed center rotation, along with Young, Reeves and maybe some Filipowski at the 5.

Which doesn't mean that Duke isn't monitoring the transfer portal and won't strike if they find the right match.

Young could improve as well. He did seem to get winded when he played big minutes. Better conditioning could help him, if we need 20 minutes out of him. We could have enough with what we have now. But if Roach stays in the draft and we dont get a transfer big we will have some question marks.

Young could improve as well. He did seem to get winded when he played big minutes. Better conditioning could help him, if we need 20 minutes out of him. We could have enough with what we have now. But if Roach stays in the draft and we dont get a transfer big we will have some question marks.
Young is a big risk defensively though, slow laterally, 6’9 without a wingspan…..

Stewart is the wildcard here. At 6-8, 230 he's probably not going to be a 30 mpg option at the 5. But he's an excellent run/jump athlete. He's raw offensively but if he can rebound and defend he should be able to be part of a three-headed center rotation, along with Young, Reeves and maybe some Filipowski at the 5.

Which doesn't mean that Duke isn't monitoring the transfer portal and won't strike if they find the right match.
Correct. He's not 6'11, but if this kid rebounds, plays D and gets high percentage shots, there will be plenty of PT for him.

For everything Young isn’t defensively, Stewart is. For everything Young is offensively, Stewart isn’t.

We have 2 guys (3 with Reeves) who all excel at something: Young has a great offensive post game (though his passing is bad and teams figured that out by the end of last year.) Stewart is a freak athlete who will provide defensive energy/steals/blocks. And Reeves should project as a solid rim protector.

The saying in football goes: If you have 3 quarterbacks, you have none. Kind of feels similar here. I’m holding out hope for one of these 5’s that are in the draft to come back to school and choose us.

For everything Young isn’t defensively, Stewart is. For everything Young is offensively, Stewart isn’t.

We have 2 guys (3 with Reeves) who all excel at something: Young has a great offensive post game (though his passing is bad and teams figured that out by the end of last year.) Stewart is a freak athlete who will provide defensive energy/steals/blocks. And Reeves should project as a solid rim protector.

The saying in football goes: If you have 3 quarterbacks, you have none. Kind of feels similar here. I’m holding out hope for one of these 5’s that are in the draft to come back to school and choose us.
I would also like to get a transfer center. If I'm a guy like Reeves, I would be thinking that Young is gone after this season, then a transfer center may also be gone after the next season, coupled with Flip leaving, as well. That would leave Reeves and possibly Stewart as the centers on the roster.

I would have to think that's a nice scenario for Reeves and gives him 2 seasons to be either a starter or get solid minutes.

I would also like to get a transfer center. If I'm a guy like Reeves, I would be thinking that Young is gone after this season, then a transfer center may also be gone after the next season, coupled with Flip leaving, as well. That would leave Reeves and possibly Stewart as the centers on the roster.

I would have to think that's a nice scenario for Reeves and gives him 2 seasons to be either a starter or get solid minutes.
Kids are 'AMBITIOUS', they believe they deserve starter minutes now. The scenario is very realistic, but this kid might think he's Lively 2.0. To achieve Lively numbers ain't out of reach.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Is he really visiting Duke? I dont think we get him but he would be a huge get.
Kansas is the favorite right now, followed by Kentucky. RR will be in meltdown mode if they miss on Hunter and Oscar goes pro.

Last edited:
Cheats roster is average at best. After this years train wreck of a season, alot of pressure on Hubert.

He’s a clown. He’ll be an assistant on some NBA staff this time next year
I believe this, and I don't think Hubert really cares for Roy looking over his shoulder. However Ol' Roy loves to get his tired ol' hound dog countenance on tv, so he will always be a fixture.

Funny, there was a story written this year about the trademark high five Ol' Roy and Caleb Love shared as Love trotted on the court every game. The ol' coach better pick him out a new player to jinx this season!! #RoyKnew

OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
Arizona State's Warren Washington is in the portal. We went after Theo John and Ryan Young, previously coached by Duke players. Why not one more?

7'0 225, athletic big. He's a good passer, too. 26.9 minutes, 9.2 ppg, 6.9 reb, 1.8 blk, 1.6 ast, 56.3% fg.

I'd take a very long look at him. Higher upside than Shedrick, IMO.

Arizona State's Warren Washington is in the portal. We went after Theo John and Ryan Young, previously coached by Duke players. Why not one more?

7'0 225, athletic big. He's a good passer, too. 26.9 minutes, 9.2 ppg, 6.9 reb, 1.8 blk, 1.6 ast, 56.3% fg.

I'd take a very long look at him. Higher upside than Shedrick, IMO.

Saw this and was definitely interested. I think early indicators are that he’s going to San Diego State. He’s from there and they don’t have starter I don’t believe with Mensah being gone.

I believe this, and I don't think Hubert really cares for Roy looking over his shoulder. However Ol' Roy loves to get his tired ol' hound dog countenance on tv, so he will always be a fixture.

Funny, there was a story written this year about the trademark high five Ol' Roy and Caleb Love shared as Love trotted on the court every game. The ol' coach better pick him out a new player to jinx this season!! #RoyKnew

OFC
I don't think Hubert is a bad coach but I'm sort of puzzled by him. Many times when a new coach is hired, he's new to the school, so there is a year or two where the new coach needs in order to get "his" guys. But the part I don't understand about Hubert, is the kids he had to past two seasons, he helped recruit and coach before he was the head coach. He had "his" guys and he had most of the players return for multiple seasons.

Even though Scheyer was at Duke, he had 2 guys come back, she while he recruited the new players, he still had to learn how to coach them. I'm just not sure how Hubert recruited all of the current players, coached most of them prior to being named head coach, and still not know how to coach them.

I guess we'll see how he handles the new transfers, but at first glance, the roster looks ok to good, but not great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT