ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal thread

Oscar has a very good NIL deal in place. I think he either stays in the draft or stays at Kentucky. Shedrick is the only big man I've seen show interest in Duke so far. I'm sure staff will look around. I am in the camp that we need to add someone.
I agree that Oscar has a nice NIL deal in place, but how would he feel if he wants to return to college and Dickinson is now the starting center? For starters, there is no way that Dickinson goes to Kentucky without the promise of a starting position.

I would find it very interesting if he's looking at other schools and he can always take his NIL with him. That said, it might be another 4 weeks or so before Oscar does anything.

Reactions: christophero
Kentucky fans are getting antsy. Hunter visits Kentucky next weekend. I think Cal needs an answer from Oscar by then or they may get neither.

Kentucky fans are getting antsy. Hunter visits Kentucky next weekend. I think Cal needs an answer from Oscar by then or they may get neither.
Kentucky fans have already penciled Hunter into their starting lineup, wondering if Oscar could play the 4.

That said, Hunter visits Kentucky starting this Sunday, the 23-25 of April. He then visits Villanova on April 28th.

I'm certainly not advocating that Scheyer go after Oscar, if he pulls out of the draft, but it's more of a, if we are still looking by then and Oscar doesn't want to return and share minutes with Hunter, he would be an interesting look.

It would be huge if they get both. But my guess it's either/or. I think they need to get one to be good next year.

It would be huge if they get both. But my guess it's either/or. I think they need to get one to be good next year.
Completely agree. I'm sure every Kentucky fan is biting their nails off waiting to find out which one will, or none, will be playing center next season. It would delight us all if neither suited up.

Personally, I think it shows desperation for Calipari to fly to Michigan to meet with Hunter and beg him to make a visit. Apparently Hunter said, I took a visit while in High School, I don't need to take another one, and Calipari got on his hands and knee's and said please visit, we have a new strength and conditioning coach.

Then to top it off, Hunter sounded like he was saying that Oscar will not be there next season. From Calipari announcing that Oscar was entering the draft, before Oscar said it, to telling Hunter with a wink-wink, nod-nod, hey Oscar will not be here next year so you can have the starting spot.

Again, sounds desperate and maybe even a lie, that he is insinuating Oscar is gone, so he can get another big man. How does he know Oscar is for sure gone?

These kids have to know which way they are leaning. I doubt guys like Keels and Oscar enter the draft having no idea what they want. The mock drafts are fairly accurate. It doesn't seem like the combine changes much. Every year I hear of some kid wowing people at the combine and then he goes undrafted. They need to be honest with their coaches. I suspect Cal knows which way Oscar is leaning. Does he know for sure? Probably not.

I could see Oscar playing PF, but I’m not sure Hunter would go for that. Oscar could still get his points and rebounds and the move would allow the NBA to see how he would perform at that position. It’s likely where he ends in the NBA.

These kids have to know which way they are leaning. I doubt guys like Keels and Oscar enter the draft having no idea what they want. The mock drafts are fairly accurate. It doesn't seem like the combine changes much. Every year I hear of some kid wowing people at the combine and then he goes undrafted. They need to be honest with their coaches. I suspect Cal knows which way Oscar is leaning. Does he know for sure? Probably not.
I think we both agree on that. I definitely believe guys like Keels and Oscar know what they want, and that is to play professionally. Keels was just a better prospect than Oscar.

I'm also sure that everyone at Kentucky knows what Oscar wants but it's another thing to be telling a recruit that Oscar is gone when he's not on any draft boards and will never be on any draft boards, will make more money in NIL and has another year of eligibility.

I don't think this is a situation where you are recruiting a guard or wing, where if your player returns to school, you can play them both. In this situation, Hunter and Oscar cannot play together at the same time. It just strikes me as a little desperate that Calipari is saying Oscar is gone, as if he's pushing him out the door.

I totally get recruiting over a kid that has not outperformed his scholarship, and I'm on board with that, but Oscar has been the best player on their team that last two years.

I could see Oscar playing PF, but I’m not sure Hunter would go for that. Oscar could still get his points and rebounds and the move would allow the NBA to see how he would perform at that position. It’s likely where he ends in the NBA.
It would be interesting to see Calipari try and juggle that lineup with Oscar at the 4. That would clog up the lane and the guards would be forced to shoot jumpers a lot more. That would not mesh with the Calipari invented dribble drive offense.

Reactions: dukecorey
It would be interesting to see Calipari try and juggle that lineup with Oscar at the 4. That would clog up the lane and the guards would be forced to shoot jumpers a lot more. That would not mesh with the Calipari invented dribble drive offense.
Agree. Not going to help defensively either having two dudes who can't guard on the perimeter on the floor.

Graham Ike too, big man from Wyoming. They've got a pretty good squad, once again.
Not as good, but still good. They also got Steele Venters, a 6-7 wing from Eastern Washington. Small school, but he did score 27 on Washington State in the NIT. They have a few role players to mix in. They did lose 4 starters though.

Last edited:
Collins transferring from Kentucky. Former 5 star, didn't do much at Kentucky. Still, 6-9 with 2 years left. Reading the tea leaves I think that means they are either getting Hunter or returning Oscar. Otherwise, yikes.

I mean, sure, in that case than you could say every single kid (thousands in D1) that isn’t playing a lot could possibly be overlooked. Was Kale Catchings overlooked because he didn’t play? Shedrick played a lot his sophomore year, he definitely was given a fair chance IMO. Justin Robinson was not given a fair chance.
Plus let’s be honest, Shedrick wasn’t replaced by Ralph Sampson. He was replaced by 2 stiffs.
Come on, I hope you can do better than this. This past season is the only one that's on the table. Can you explain how he averaged 9 points, 5 rebounds, and 2 blocks in his 15 starts? I know those aren't all conference numbers, but they aren't bad either. Especially on a team that struggles to score. Maybe he deserved getting benched. It's also possible Bennett made a mistake benching him.

Sure, there's more talented big men available, but does that mean they'll be good a fit for Duke? And for all I know, maybe he isn't a good fit. I think he is.

Shedrick averaged nearly 2 blocks a game, is experienced, can rebound and defend and score when needed. He isn't the sexy choice but may be what we need. We are looking at other options but it needs to be the right fit. We still have time, but I don't want us to miss out on everyone or have to settle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192
Shedrick averaged nearly 2 blocks a game, is experienced, can rebound and defend and score when needed. He isn't the sexy choice but may be what we need. We are looking at other options but it needs to be the right fit. We still have time, but I don't want us to miss out on everyone or have to settle.
Completely agree. I think that if Shedrick is the back up plan, he's not at all the worst back up plan. Perhaps Shedrick was benched because the Vander Plaus guy was a better shooter from the perimeter?

I'm not sure, but I think the entire point from us all is that he's not the worst back up plan out there.

The only red flag with Shedrick is him and Bennett clashed a bit. Don't know the story. But I am sure the staff will do their homework.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Chris, you’re awesome man, but you’ve fallen head over heels for Shedrick lol

I will gladly take Shedrick and run with him. I don't know his actual stats a year ago for Tony The Tiger(what 6-9 ppg, 4rebs per gm?), but it's about FIT.

Just thinking out loud, but isn't that more than we got from Derek?? I loved Derek (great rim protector, rebounder), but what about his offense? At times on the offensive end particularly early, it was like we had 4 vs 5.He was a colossaI failure on offense vs UT (did he even take a shot?).

I think Shedrick gives us a little more on offense.Six points pg in Bennett's SYSTEM is not bad. OFC

Last edited:
Lively did have 11 rebounds that game. But yeah; it's tough to win when you get 0 points from the center position. Neither he nor Young attempted a shot.

I will gladly take Shedrick and run with him. I don't know his actual stats a year ago for Tony The Tiger(what 6-9 ppg, 4rebs per gm?), but it's about FIT.

Just thinking out loud, but isn't that more than we got from Derek?? I loved Derek (great rim protector, rebounder), but what about his offense? At times on the offensive end particularly early, it was like we had 4 vs 5 on offense.He was a colossaI failure on offense vs UT (did he even take a shot?).

I think Shedrick gives us a little more on offense.Six points pg in Bennett's SYSTEM is not bad. OFC
Shedrick averaged exactly 1 more point a game last year, and averaged 3.8 rebounds. Dereck had the ability to change a game on the defensive end.

Harrison Ingram committed to UNC. Big get for them. McDonald's All American, averaged 10 and 6 at Stanford. 6-7 220.

Definitely solid pickup. The team they have is pretty interesting. Probably top 25 on paper now.
You said it: "On Paper." Their MASSIVE FAILURE last year still tells me we are quite capable of sweeping them again.

OFC

Their team will look quite different next year. Bacot, Davis and some decent transfers. Odds are they will be better. Still not as good as us, but they are closing the gap.

• Haha
Reactions: Tik Tok
Shedrick averaged exactly 1 more point a game last year, and averaged 3.8 rebounds. Dereck had the ability to change a game on the defensive end.
Still as you reference the only one point differential on offense, that's somewhat misleading. I say this because of UVA's plodding, methodical offense. Also I like the fact Shedrick has three years of college ball under his belt. He's the type TOUGHNESS we need in a game like UT. OFC

Shedrick is definitely a better scorer than Lively when he got minutes. Lively is obviously a better defender. There is no one in the portal who can defend like lively at the end of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT