ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Bennett reminds me of a younger Coach K

acc hoops

Cameron Crazy
Mar 24, 2004
UVA beats this team rather easily if they go to a zone but Bennett like Coach K in his earlier days
kept trying to pressure the UMBC guards.
Same thing happened to Duke in NCAAs versus Villanova, Arizona, Lehigh and Mercer.
Glad Coach K has become more adaptable in his old age.
No reason with the shotclock to pressure guards at midcourt.

It's like every other game of basketball ever. If a team is hot and making shots, everything else you've planned just doesn't really matter. If you aren't particularly hot then it's just that much worse. uVAs biggest problem is that they aren't equipped to make big runs.
As for the comparison I get what you're saying about Ks love for man. But other than that one element, I would argue he's always been very adaptable. We change offensive schemes every year it seems to match the players strengths. UVA always runs their system. UNC is similar in their adherrence yo a system. Duke has a few staples, but we change it up.every yeaar. Now maybe K back in the late 80s and early 90s had a system, I was young and just liked the jerseys back then.

I said in another thread, I admire the guy he always keeps his cool from what I see. If I were a Virginia fan or coach in general there is no way I'm that collected.

Reactions: christophero
It's like every other game of basketball ever. If a team is hot and making shots, everything else you've planned just doesn't really matter. If you aren't particularly hot then it's just that much worse. uVAs biggest problem is that they aren't equipped to make big runs.
As for the comparison I get what you're saying about Ks love for man. But other than that one element, I would argue he's always been very adaptable. We change offensive schemes every year it seems to match the players strengths. UVA always runs their system. UNC is similar in their adherrence yo a system. Duke has a few staples, but we change it up.every yeaar. Now maybe K back in the late 80s and early 90s had a system, I was young and just liked the jerseys back then.
Great offense will always beat a great defense.

Reactions: pisgah101
Bennett will get over the hump eventually, but it's different when you have the target on your back. You're no longer the surprise to anyone. Playing with expectations is tough!

Bennett will get over the hump eventually, but it's different when you have the target on your back. You're no longer the surprise to anyone. Playing with expectations is tough!

Only if his offense changes

Coach Bennett has done a terrific job. Winning a natty is no easy task. He showed me a lot about his character last night. With his world (and his team's) falling apart around him, he remained calm (although probably not inside). I would have probably went nuclear if that had happened to me. This just reminds you how quickly a season full of success can now be considered a scarlet letter by the way it ended. We've seen it happen a few times ourselves (although not quite as catastrophic) as this one.

IF this had been Duke, many, many fans would be clamoring for Coach K's head this morning, even with all the success he has brought to the Duke program. I feel joy for the UMBC coach, and kids, but I really do feel bad for Bennett and his team. It's a shame that this game is all that will be remembered about this team...even by their own fans.

OFC

He is super sharp and seems extremely solid but I no way shape or form want that Norman Dale “I said 4 passes before you shoot!” Offense here. No way.

Reactions: DukefanKY
It's funny. Some fans wanted UVA's experience during the regular season and that experience didn't matter last night. They didn't just lose at the buzzer or by 4, they lost by 20 points!!! To this point, Duke hasn't lost any games this season by 20 points. Give me talent in the NCAA Tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT