ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts and prayers for UNC Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been granted free will - the only way to take away the harmful effects of people's bad choices, is to take away free will itself.

It's true that prayer doesn't do anything to change the status-quo. Most aren't naive enough to believe that enough prayers will force God to put an end to gun violence. It doesn't work like that. We are praying for those mourning that they might find comfort. We are praying for the survivors that are still living in fear - and still have psychological obstacles to overcome as they deal with the traumatic experience. We are praying that they can find peace, and hope, and strength. We are praying for their recovery. But continue on in your mockery of people's sincere efforts to understand, connect, and empathize with those that are suffering.
It's not about mockery.

But I'm sick of empathizing with those who are hurting from needless violence (although I do); however, I'd prefer we'd need not empathize in the first place. I can just imagine our prayers for hope, strength, and understanding being heard by a God that is returning the sentiment back to us and hopeful that we have the strength and understanding to fully embody God in the world in bringing about a fully realized vision for God's love and peace within it.

I believe in a God that, when we weep for our children hurt by needless violence, weeps along with us; and when we ask where God was during yet another tragedy like this and why God didn't do anything, God is asking us why we haven't. I believe in a God that is active in the world in and through the ones that embody God. Not in one that bippity-boppity-boops things from somewhere far away while we sit back and pretend to be helpless.

I'm glad we live in a free society where everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the truth is, other countries where there is much less gun violence have no greater religious belief as far as I know, have day cares and two working parent families, and do not necessarily have greater early child mental health screening. It seems every person who commits these terrible crimes is troubled but how many young people show troubled tendencies and don't shoot up a school?

I don't know that there is an easy solution. I do agree with everyone, you have to watch your children carefully and intervene if you see them withdrawing, or acting irregularly, or anything else out of the ordinary. Too many parents look the other way or are too busy with their lives, whether it be working two jobs or spending the day shopping and at the country club.

We may have our own feelings about strategies, recruiting etc. for Duke basketball, but its heartwarming the way we get united strongly against events like the senseless tragedy in Charlotte! We come together and not only offer prayers but dialogue for support and condemnation. Proud to be a member of our board, and proud of board in general! OFC

No problem with your second paragraph, but I do think there is a middle ground between "We aren't doing anything" and "The only way to take away bad stuff is take away free will." There are many steps we can take to lower the seriousness or frequency or any number of parts of terrible events.

I don't have any good answers, to be honest. But laws will never compel 300 million people to adhere with exactness. There's close to 400 million civilian-owned firearms in the US alone (more firearms than people). 400 million is such a devastatingly large number. We can do background checks more thoroughly, but I'm curious as to what percentage of the firearms used in mass-shootings were even obtained legally? A lot of stores limit how much ammunition you can buy. Perhaps background check on ammunition as well? But even then, you can still obtain that illegally, as well. And you could just as well produce your own bullets. I don't know. It sucks. I'm all for putting in deterrents. But that can only do so much.

I agree with you and other posters that say mental health needs to be addressed. I read that close to 1 in 5 Americans is suffering from some form of a mental illness... We're talking about 60 million people or so right there. Yikes. Also, think our entertainment values have deteriorated quite a bit over the years. Teens are fed sex, drugs, and violence through tv, movies, and video games all day, every day. Parents need to step their game up and be more invested in what their kids are doing and watching.

It's not about mockery.

But I'm sick of empathizing with those who are hurting from needless violence (although I do); however, I'd prefer we'd need not empathize in the first place. I can just imagine our prayers for hope, strength, and understanding being heard by a God that is returning the sentiment back to us and hopeful that we have the strength and understanding to fully embody God in the world in bringing about a fully realized vision for God's love and peace within it.

I believe in a God that, when we weep for our children hurt by needless violence, weeps along with us; and when we ask where God was during yet another tragedy like this and why God didn't do anything, God is asking us why we haven't. I believe in a God that is active in the world in and through the ones that embody God. Not in one that bippity-boppity-boops things from somewhere far away while we sit back and pretend to be helpless.

When someone is hurting, what do you do? Give them a hug, right? That's kind of what the prayer is like. And we are hurting for them. We are crying with them. But we can't magically fix the problem. No one can. We pray that those suffering can still see some light, and still feel a glimmer of hope. The reality is, neither you or I, or any law will ever be able to control 300 million people. That part sucks. God doesn't expect you to be able to control people. Free will is something He will never take away. You cannot control people. You can love people, you can provide mental health support, you can raise families with good values, you can reach out to neighbors and co-workers that may seem emotionally distant... but you cannot force people to do the right thing.

Believe me, I'd much rather have a barrier on the steep, narrow road alongside the mountain - instead of having an ambulance at the bottom of the mountain trying to patch things up when someone falls off the cliff. I'm all for deterrents. But gun control is infinitely more complicated than putting up a single barrier. It's a complex issue that sadly doesn't have a simple answer.

Prayer may not be your way to deal with tragedy, and that's fine. But don't dismiss other people's beliefs because you think the effort is futile. You seemed to indicate a belief in God, however. Do you not remember that Jesus prayed to God when he was suffering (Mat 26:39)? And he prayed for others when they were suffering (Mat 19:13, John 17, etc)? You gain strength from prayer. You gain perspective. You are communicating with a divine being. You also gain a lot when you pray for others - you increase your capacity to love, and I think others often feel that love when prayers are sent their way. It's not a futile effort.

I don't have any good answers, to be honest. But laws will never compel 300 million people to adhere with exactness. There's close to 400 million civilian-owned firearms in the US alone (more firearms than people). 400 million is such a devastatingly large number. We can do background checks more thoroughly, but I'm curious as to what percentage of the firearms used in mass-shootings were even obtained legally? A lot of stores limit how much ammunition you can buy. Perhaps background check on ammunition as well? But even then, you can still obtain that illegally, as well. And you could just as well produce your own bullets. I don't know. It sucks. I'm all for putting in deterrents. But that can only do so much.

I agree with you and other posters that say mental health needs to be addressed. I read that close to 1 in 5 Americans is suffering from some form of a mental illness... We're talking about 60 million people or so right there. Yikes. Also, think our entertainment values have deteriorated quite a bit over the years. Teens are fed sex, drugs, and violence through tv, movies, and video games all day, every day. Parents need to step their game up and be more invested in what their kids are doing and watching.

When someone is hurting, what do you do? Give them a hug, right? That's kind of what the prayer is like. And we are hurting for them. We are crying with them. But we can't magically fix the problem. No one can. We pray that those suffering can still see some light, and still feel a glimmer of hope. The reality is, neither you or I, or any law will ever be able to control 300 million people. That part sucks. God doesn't expect you to be able to control people. Free will is something He will never take away. You cannot control people. You can love people, you can provide mental health support, you can raise families with good values, you can reach out to neighbors and co-workers that may seem emotionally distant... but you cannot force people to do the right thing.

Believe me, I'd much rather have a barrier on the steep, narrow road alongside the mountain - instead of having an ambulance at the bottom of the mountain trying to patch things up when someone falls off the cliff. I'm all for deterrents. But gun control is infinitely more complicated than putting up a single barrier. It's a complex issue that sadly doesn't have a simple answer.

Prayer may not be your way to deal with tragedy, and that's fine. But don't dismiss other people's beliefs because you think the effort is futile. You seemed to indicate a belief in God, however. Do you not remember that Jesus prayed to God when he was suffering (Mat 26:39)? And he prayed for others when they were suffering (Mat 19:13, John 17, etc)? You gain strength from prayer. You gain perspective. You are communicating with a divine being. You also gain a lot when you pray for others - you increase your capacity to love, and I think others often feel that love when prayers are sent their way. It's not a futile effort.
Awesome post

Reactions: dukedevilz
I'm glad we live in a free society where everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the truth is, other countries where there is much less gun violence have no greater religious belief as far as I know, have day cares and two working parent families, and do not necessarily have greater early child mental health screening.

Hmmm... well, actually, there are some trends you can look at.

Most European countries are less religious than the United States.

Most European countries do not have anywhere near the systemic daycare that we have here for very young children, thanks in large part to family leave policies that allow for at least one parent to stay home to raise their child in the first year or two.

Most European countries have government-run daycare rather than private-run daycare for children after family leaves have run out, and paying for them is heavily subsidized.

Most European countries have higher standards for day care workers.

I don't know about mental health care abroad. I know that general health care is subsidized in nearly every European country, but I don't know about mental health in particular.

Obviously Europe has far fewer guns than we do.

Not particularly pointing out any connections between any of these facts and our mass shooting epidemic... just pointing it out as information.

Realistically, there is no way we can ever get rid of shootings, through laws or any other way. Even if we WANTED to, the sheer number of human beings living here, combined with the general freedoms Americans enjoy, combined with the huge number of firearms in our country, make it impossible.

I think our goal has to be simply lowering the number of these incidents that happen. There are legislative steps we can take to do that, and there are other, non-legal steps we can take to do that as well. Which steps, exactly, will work? Eh, therein lies the rub:)

I don't think I'm being dismissive. And I agree with everything you said in the paragraph above, but I also think prayer should empower you to act in the world. If prayer isn't transformative which is evidenced by your actions and way of being in the world, then I would say that your prayers *are* futile. I'm not trying to be argumentative, btw. I appreciate the dialogue.

If any of you follow surfing, look at Sunny Garcia. I got to know Sunny while in SoCal through joint volunteer work. Tremendous guy, complete bad arse, but now he struggles because of a self-inflicted injury/suicide attempt. Mental illness is all around, and rapid dependence on technology is hurting, not helping.

rapid dependence on technology is hurting, not helping.

Well, agree with you on that. The thing that was supposed to connect is is instead isolating us, giving us regular shots of dopamine and keeping us alone. If you've ever checked a website, and then two minutes later checked it again, almost unthinkingly... well, you've been well trained.

The second person to die, did so while fighting the gunman, after the first person was shot. They say he saved lives. He went to Tuscola and graduated from T.C.

Yep he’s a hero. I did t know him personally but I know people that did so sad

Please tell me that you're not mocking those that are praying.
I pray. I mock those who won't do anything BUT that. Prayer isn't a spoiled child's telling a servant to do something for them. No significant action beyond thoughts and prayers despite how many random mass shooting attacks since Columbine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT