ADVERTISEMENT

The New Lounge

Some of the congressional testimonies this week won’t be shown in the media. But you’d do yourself a favor if you go back and watch them. From the origins of Covid, to the horrific pull out of Afghanistan, this is the worst government we’ve ever had. It’s beyond corrupt on both sides.

Just to emphasize- he was the right hire. The transition period they laid out was and is proving to be the perfect decision.

On the contrast with Hubert. He didn’t have a great year last year. He had a great run at the end. Big difference. They had to fight to even make the tournament last year. This year, they didn’t even sniff it. I hope he’s the coach at unc for a long long time.

Like timo and others have said, I thought the biggest contrast between Hubert and Jon’s first years was that Hubert had all Roy’s upper class men returning while Jon had all his first players coming in with the exception of Roach and Blakes.
I really thought UNC was the team to beat with all they returned but you have to play as a team and come together. The more the season played on the further they looked as a team .

Yes, but it is hard to argue that making the championship game is not a good season. I mean you could but its a bit pedantic.

Just to emphasize- he was the right hire. The transition period they laid out was and is proving to be the perfect decision.

On the contrast with Hubert. He didn’t have a great year last year. He had a great run at the end. Big difference. They had to fight to even make the tournament last year. This year, they didn’t even sniff it. I hope he’s the coach at unc for a long long time.
This, the bracket basically fell open to UNC, Baylor was down players and wasn’t a great 1 seed, then st Pete’s cleaned out the good teams. Everything literally fell their way

We dont elect the best and brightest to lead us unfortunately...thats more apparent every day. Incompetence is rampant in the halls of Congress and the WH. Until term limits, competency testing and age limits are instituted there isnt any hope that will change. The catch-22 is the same people who are needing to be replaced are the same ones who would have to vote to do so...it will never happen. Add in the dumbing down of the voting population overall and the recipe for disaster is complete.

We dont elect the best and brightest to lead us unfortunately...thats more apparent every day. Incompetence is rampant in the halls of Congress and the WH. Until term limits, competency testing and age limits are instituted there isnt any hope that will change. The catch-22 is the same people who are needing to be replaced are the same ones who would have to vote to do so...it will never happen. Add in the dumbing down of the voting population overall and the recipe for disaster is complete.
Spot on.

Yes, but it is hard to argue that making the championship game is not a good season. I mean you could but its a bit pedantic.
Right so my point is, they didn’t have a good season at all. They had a good finish. Not taking away from that. And if you want to use it as yes that equals a good season I get it. My point is, from start to finish last year they didn’t have a good season. They barely made the tournament. Give them credit for making a run. A lot went their way.

In 1998 unc was projected not to make the tournament and Virginia was supposed to be in. Virginia beat unc twice that year and had a better record. unc got in and Virginia didn't and unc went on to make the FF. Shit year. Same year Duke blew a 17 point lead against Kentucky leading to a hole my friend's wall.

I was one of those who questioned the hire. I knew Jon was a tactical wiz, I simply did not know he was ready to take the reins of the Duke brand.

Thanks Jon, for making me and others look like idiots.You have truly done something amazing: You have a group of highly touted freshman playing like the NBA is no more than an afterthought to them while in school. This group, embodies the word TEAM!!!!

Oh and Yes Virginia, there is a KARMA!!

OFC
I did not really because I thought that Scheyer was a good choice. I felt he would not run from K completely but also bring (what I feel) much needed change and breathe some new air into Duke. But we must also give hime time. I knew there was going to be a learning curve, but I thought a hybrid guard who has to make quick reads and decisions, not to mention the change on the fly decisions that needed to be made even so with our 2010 team.

Earlier this year, i saw an opinion letter written about Ohio State's basketball coach that he needed to be gone based on no results in his 6-year tenure. He stated "I won't count COVID year, but what college basketball coach had no success his first five years and been successful? Coach K is that answer.

I was ready for Jon after our VT loss last year. I wonder if K wanted his swan song to be '21, but with COVID, knew he could not. Also, looked what happened to programs when a successful Coach suddenly retired or left? Took Kansas a few to get its footing, look at UCLA, Cheats twice... Everybody thought K was going on this swan song tour because he wanted all the attention and adoration. No, i believe it was all to set up Scheyer...

Last edited:
Reactions: 9dukejames
What in the hell is your major malfunction? How was that a joke? Also, why even make the "joke"? Quit being a thoughtless tool.
My bad, been hanging out with Kyrie too much. Hope you can recover from this. And the answer is because it's funny.

Pussy.

Better question: why did that post offend you? I wasn't serious, I have a friend on the main college basketball board who is a UVA fan and Jewish so we were poking each other about it. I think you guys are being a little ridiculous, get some thicker skin. Love scheyer, always have, when we won the championship in 2010 I had a pipe burst in my home and was at my parents with my wife... Had to celebrate as quietly as humanly possible but one of my favorite memories. Chill out on the PC crap.

Last edited:
In 1998 unc was projected not to make the tournament and Virginia was supposed to be in. Virginia beat unc twice that year and had a better record. unc got in and Virginia didn't and unc went on to make the FF. Shit year. Same year Duke blew a 17 point lead against Kentucky leading to a hole my friend's wall.

Has to be 1999 because some guys named Jamison and Carter were on the Heels Final Four team in 1998. In 1999 Weber State and Harold “the show” Arcineaux (sp?) beat them.

Has to be 1999 because some guys named Jamison and Carter were on the Heels Final Four team in 1998. In 1999 Weber State and Harold “the show” Arcineaux (sp?) beat them.
Don't bring up 99, I still have PTSD from that national championship. Best Duke team I can remember to not win a national championship.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Better question: why did that post offend you? I wasn't serious, I have a friend on the main college basketball board who is a UVA fan and Jewish so we were poking each other about it. I think you guys are being a little ridiculous, get some thicker skin. Love scheyer, always have, when we won the championship in 2010 I had a pipe burst in my home and was at my parents with my wife... I had to celebrate as quietly as humanly possible but one of my favorite memories. Chill out on the PC crap.
Oh the classic; I have a friend who is "insert whatever race, gender, or sexuality," so I can make the joke line. What a load of shit. It's not about having thicker skin or being PC. The "joke" wasn't funny, it was rude, and wholly unnecessary.

Oh the classic; I have a friend who is "insert whatever race, gender, or sexuality," so I can make the joke line. What a load of shit. It's not about having thicker skin or being PC. The "joke" wasn't funny, it was rude, and wholly unnecessary.
I bet he and his buddy are a real hit at cocktail parties. Re Jon I think this board for the most part was reasonably concerned about the poor play but recognized the impact that injuries had as well as a couple of guys not being as polished offensively as we were used to with our fresh the last few years I always liked the idea that he would be 100% Duke and not have the stench of another program on him like the other candidates would have

Yes, as a white man married to a black woman, my friend/spouse is xxx makes it ok to make that joke is WRONG…

Doubt the most outlandish posters will say, but are we still regretting the hire?

Winning the ACCT in no way solidifies the decision, don't get it twisted. But if he went 18-16 and missed the tournament, it would be premature to say he wasn't the guy.

I would say that a Sweet 16 appearance would be a good first year achievement to go with the ACCT championship. Anything more is icing on the cake. Let's also not forget that he is 2-0 vs unc.
I’m here, sorry was on a cruise. Jon is definitely proving himself and me wrong. The criticism was fair. Duke was playing some of the ugliest basketball we’ve seen. Remember the 20 + turnovers games? It wasn’t just one. And it’s not like the offense just wasn’t making shots… they were rarely running anything which was odd. They’ve turned it around but it came with the team playing a more disciplined offense. It’s not like the teams shots started falling more, coaching happened, and it went on so long wasn’t sure if it was coming.,

Either way let’s go Duke! I’d be happy to continue eating my words if it means duke advances 🥳

I was pretty bothered by Jon’s coaching up until around February. Let’s be honest: as Duke fans, we are spoiled. It wasn’t the losing, it was the getting destroyed and the games being over before halftime that bothered me, that never happened under K, and definitely never happened more than once a season. Even the 2021 team that missed the tourney didn’t get blown out.

Then the game at UVA happened, we got robbed, and we are still feeling the effects of that. We wouldn’t be a 5 seed had that game counted as a win. I was very annoyed with Jon’s reaction to the blown call, I wanted him to raise hell and get thrown out.

Regardless, Jon preached patience and we are finally seeing the end result. His out of bounds plays have been tremendous, and I like how/when he uses his timeouts. I also liked his quote about bringing in smaller classes, I read that as a shift to more veteran type teams but the Duke brand will still bring in the superstars too.

How dare you go on a cruise this time of year. You need to put the team first.

Durn rich people
I wish, I’m just a pe coach!

I was able to watch the games but wasn’t gonna pay 24$ to post on the internet per day 😂
I was pretty bothered by Jon’s coaching up until around February. Let’s be honest: as Duke fans, we are spoiled. It wasn’t the losing, it was the getting destroyed and the games being over before halftime that bothered me, that never happened under K, and definitely never happened more than once a season. Even the 2021 team that missed the tourney didn’t get blown out.

Then the game at UVA happened, we got robbed, and we are still feeling the effects of that. We wouldn’t be a 5 seed had that game counted as a win. I was very annoyed with Jon’s reaction to the blown call, I wanted him to raise hell and get thrown out.

Regardless, Jon preached patience and we are finally seeing the end result. His out of bounds plays have been tremendous, and I like how/when he uses his timeouts. I also liked his quote about bringing in smaller classes, I read that as a shift to more veteran type teams but the Duke brand will still bring in the superstars too.
I really don’t agree with the spoiled argument . Scheyer basically handpicked his recruits and grad transfers. He had top of the line fresh meat, solid grad transfers and a good guard coming back. If anything he’s spoiled with his first year 😛

So, he gets to make anti-sematic comments, and we move on like it is nothing? Gotcha.
He already said he was joking. You didn't like the joke. You already said that. So what do you want? If his joke offended you, I suggest that you never watch Jewish comedians, because they say much more offensive things about Jews than what TW said.

Reactions: pisgah101
He already said he was joking. You didn't like the joke. You already said that. So what do you want? If his joke offended you, I suggest that you never watch Jewish comedians, because they say much more offensive things about Jews than what TW said.
An apology would have been nice, instead he doubled down by mentioning Kyrie. Also, not only is there a world of difference between jokes made by a group about their group and coming from an outsider but i have never heard a Jewish comedian suggest that it was ok to be fired for your religion or that it was ok to laugh about such a thing.

Ah yes, let's chalk it up to me being offended. Not that he made a shitty "joke" and then repeatedly called me a pussy for calling him out on it. He's not a comedian.

Well, pussy is probably appropriate because that's what we have become as a society. We're more worried about woke points than we are anything else. What's funny is that if someone made a joke (probably wouldn't be joking) that a coach should be fired because they were pro life, or just a conservative in general, some of y'all would go right with it. Selective outrage. Quit taking everything so serious as if it is.

Reactions: tw3301
Well, pussy is probably appropriate because that's what we have become as a society. We're more worried about woke points than we are anything else. What's funny is that if someone made a joke (probably wouldn't be joking) that a coach should be fired because they were pro life, or just a conservative in general, some of y'all would go right with it. Selective outrage. Quit taking everything so serious as if it is.
Oh, it's good to know you're okay with it. "Woke", yeah, pointing out anti-Semitic comments is being "woke".

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Oh, it's good to know you're okay with it. "Woke", yeah, pointing out anti-Semitic comments is being "woke".
It's not antisemitic if it is a joke. It's just a joke. You don't find it funny. That's fine. But you are trying too hard and taking it too serious. But that's whatever. Go Duke.

Reactions: tw3301
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT