ADVERTISEMENT

The New Lounge

I can personally give you some insight on a personal situation. I applied for a position at a company I was working for and was qualified to fill this role. I had several reference within the company and I felt pretty good about chances of landing this position. However, I didn't get the job because of minority quota. At first I wasn't upset until the person wasn't filling performing at the rate he was supposed to be doing. Nothing was ever done, that individual kept his job. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of equality?
A lot of people have a story like this where they can point to one guy who maybe is taking advantage or gets a job he is not otherwise entitled to. But a lot of people of color have stories about not getting jobs that went to white men who were not as qualified or as skilled as them.

Would you like me to explain further? One of my degrees from Duke was in African American studies, and another was in History... this happens to be an area I know a lot about. So if you would like to be more informed, just say so, I'm happy to help!

No thanks I know enough...go pound your chest elsewhere

I can personally give you some insight on a personal situation. I applied for a position at a company I was working for and was qualified to fill this role. I had several reference within the company and I felt pretty good about chances of landing this position. However, I didn't get the job because of minority quota. At first I wasn't upset until the person wasn't filling performing at the rate he was supposed to be doing. Nothing was ever done, that individual kept his job. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of equality?

So quotas are a very difficult thing. They are the ULTIMATE "macro" tool that is done on the ultimate "micro" level.

So the idea behind quotas is this.

For centuries in this country, black people were denied a host of important things because of their race. They were denied property ownership. They were denied acceptance to colleges. They were denied jobs. They were denied a million different things.

Because of this, black communities suffered hugely. Poverty is rampant, lack of education is rampant, underpaying jobs are rampant... etc etc etc.

One way to "elevate" the overall black community in America is to try to find some way to artificially "make up" for those centuries of lost progress and opportunity.

One way to do this is via quotas, in which you take people who may not appear qualified for a position, partially because of the challenges they, and their families, have experienced, and put those people in the positions they may have been in IF they had not been denied the chance.

The idea is that then these people then have new advantages, which will pay off for them and their families and their communities.

The DOWNSIDE is that A) you have white people who are used to things being nearly all about merit FOR THEM (I mean, that isn't really true, because connections and the like matter a lot) suddenly being "discriminated" against because of their race, and B) you sometimes have people in positions that they really do struggle with.

Because of this, you have a certain resentment that grows amongst some white people, especially those with first hand experience, who see quotas and the like the feel that they are unfair, and who then say "Well, the way to make something fair isn't to make other things UNFAIR!"

But that view is a big myopic, if you consider what quotas are supposed to do; they are supposed to help counter some of the inequalities that black Americans have faced for generations.

It sucks for the white folks or whomever misses on a college spot or a job or whatever, because of quotas. But most people tend to believe that the overall GOOD it will do for the black community in America, and indeed for ALL of America, outweighs those negatives, as badly as those negatives might sting on an individual level.

I'm not stating that race doesn't play a role in certain cases.. However, statistically speaking, whites are killed at a higher rate by the police. So I view this as a excessive force issue. Race ties in it with certain cases, but I personally believe this is more than just a race issue. I believe systematically, this is a power issue and doesn't matter what color you are. The media paints a different picture most of the times.

Agree with you... but some want easy out

A lot of people have a story like this where they can point to one guy who maybe is taking advantage or gets a job he is not otherwise entitled to. But a lot of people of color have stories about not getting jobs that went to white men who were not as qualified or as skilled as them.

But I know a lot of people of all colors that were passed over for jobs they were more qualified for. It wasn't what they knew but who they knew. There can be problems everywhere. Some changes have to happen with a scalpel instead of a sledgehammer.

No thanks I know enough...go pound your chest elsewhere

Oh, I was unaware facts were pounding my chest.

Can I ask... if we were discussing a medical issue, and someone said "Oh hey, I am a doctor! Let me help explain!"... would you then say "Oh I know enough, go pound your chest elsewhere"...?

Or if we were discussing a financial issue, and someone said "Oh hey, I am a broker! Let me help explain!"... would you then say "Oh, I know enough, go pound your chest elsewhere"...?

You strike me as someone who does not know enough, but is too insecure to admit it.

But maybe I'm reading it wrong;)

Reactions: politicsasusual21
BTW, so there are what... two black people posting in this thread? That is good; from what I've seen, these discussions seem to end up being a bunch of white people talking at each other, which really achieves nothing.

I'm not stating that race doesn't play a role in certain cases.. However, statistically speaking, whites are killed at a higher rate by the police. So I view this as a excessive force issue. Race ties in it with certain cases, but I personally believe this is more than just a race issue. I believe systematically, this is a power issue and doesn't matter what color you are. The media paints a different picture most of the times.
This is semantics. More white people are killed by cops because there are more white men than black. But black men are 2.8 times more likely to be killed by law enforcement and are less likely to be armed in those encounters. Again...just because you personally don't believe this is happening doesn't make it so.

Where are you getting that stat? The reports I have seen say exactly the opposite.

Oh, and something I posted on the national board that I think is worth a read... if you are posting in this thread, I am assuming you are interested in the topic, after all:)

Some people are reluctant to acknowledge it, but there are some massive, fundamental issues in the African American community as a whole (and yes, obviously discussing something as huge as "the African American community" minimizes individual differences). The issue of the single parent household is one of the primary ones; it leads to more single parent households, to poverty, to more crime, to more domestic abuse... to more everything.

The issue is how these big issues, which seem somewhat independent of race, are actually intricately tied to race and history.

So, most of us see ourselves as the product of our parents, and sometimes our grandparents. We rarely see how far back our familial traits and patterns go.

We are raised by our parents. We see their influence, both positive and negative, in everything we do. Sometimes we actively try to correct what we saw as shortcomings in them.

But really, it goes much, much further back.

Our parents were as influenced by their parents as we are by they.

And THEIR parents were as influenced by THEIR parents, and THEIR parents by THEIR parents, back and back and back.

In truth, all of us were not just raised by our parents... we were actually raised by generations worth of people, and by their experiences and biases and opportunities and expectations and parenting styles and all the rest of it.

And it isn't just personality and DNA and parenting style... it is generations worth of economic decisions, generations worth of education and the approach to it, generations worth of housing decisions... its everything.

Something that is often brushed off as "Well, it was so long ago!" or "Well, just take control of your life" is how powerful and genuine the past influences black American families. African Americans went through generations in which the nuclear family simply did not exist. It just didn't. Entire generations of people grew up without parents, without family, and often specifically without father figures, who were more often sold independently from children than women were. These intense and formative set of experiences were passed down, not genetically but culturally, for years and years.

When this cycle was broken in the late 1800s, you already had hundreds of years of this sort of cultural identity ingrained in so, so much of the African American population. While it certainly improved (how could it not?) it did not disappear, and things like the stressors of how African Americans were "welcomed" by the American economy (blacks not able to get high paying jobs, black not allowed to own businesses, blacks not able to afford decent housing, ) or treated by the American legal system (blacks not offered the same legal protections as white) did not help.

And it is important to remember how long life is, and how much people who are alive today have had passed down to them, and have seen THEMSELVES, and experienced, and then passed down. African Americans alive today faced a time when policemen were members of the KKK and helped lynch their fathers... African Americans alive today went to poor schools and had to fight to be allowed to go to the better, white schools... African Americans alive today were denied treatment at "white" hospitals and had to make do with poorer, "black" hospitals... African Americans alive today were denied loans to move to better homes, jobs that would provide better for their families, legal protections as they moved through the legal system, the ability to serve in their nation's armed forces beside white soldiers... and all of this not really because they were poor or uneducated, but also solely because of the color of their skin.

All of these experiences, these generations of cultural memory and patterns, are passed down from grandfather to father, from father to son. While individuals can strive to break patterns, to form new ones, to look beyond what is passed down, when you look at a culture as a whole you can see how much damage has been done to African American culture because of race.

There's a reason why African Americans face many issues that black people, as a world population, do not. It sucks, it is generations old, and it is likely impossible to eliminate.

But we sure as heck can work to minimize it as best we can, generation by generation.

Reactions: df64
But I know a lot of people of all colors that were passed over for jobs they were more qualified for. It wasn't what they knew but who they knew. There can be problems everywhere. Some changes have to happen with a scalpel instead of a sledgehammer.
You do realize that one of the reasons for that is that black people are often not in a position to know or meet people who can pull strings for them. I also wonder how long we are supposed to "use the scalpel" rather than the sledgehammer.

Reactions: TheDude1
Oh, I was unaware facts were pounding my chest.

Can I ask... if we were discussing a medical issue, and someone said "Oh hey, I am a doctor! Let me help explain!"... would you then say "Oh I know enough, go pound your chest elsewhere"...?

Or if we were discussing a financial issue, and someone said "Oh hey, I am a broker! Let me help explain!"... would you then say "Oh, I know enough, go pound your chest elsewhere"...?

You strike me as someone who does not know enough, but is too insecure to admit it.

But maybe I'm reading it wrong;)

Those people are professionals and you are a guy claiming he basically knows everything involved...big difference...I know nothing about you...just don't want to hear it anymore

So quotas are a very difficult thing. They are the ULTIMATE "macro" tool that is done on the ultimate "micro" level.

So the idea behind quotas is this.

For centuries in this country, black people were denied a host of important things because of their race. They were denied property ownership. They were denied acceptance to colleges. They were denied jobs. They were denied a million different things.

Because of this, black communities suffered hugely. Poverty is rampant, lack of education is rampant, underpaying jobs are rampant... etc etc etc.

The best way to "elevate" the overall black community in America is to try to find some way to artificially "make up" for those centuries of lost progress and opportunity.

One way to do this is via quotas, in which you take people who may not appear qualified for a position, partially because of the challenges they, and their families, have experienced.

The idea is that then these people then have new advantages, which will pay off for them and their families and their communities.

The DOWNSIDE is that A) you have white people who are used to things being nearly all about merit FOR THEM (I mean, that isn't really true, because connections and the like matter a lot) suddenly being "discriminated" against because of their race, and B) you sometimes have people in positions that they really do struggle with.

Because of this, you have a certain resentment that grows amongst some white people, especially those with first hand experience, who see quotas and the like the feel that they are unfair, and who then say "Well, the way to make something fair isn't to make other things UNFAIR!"

But that view is a big myopic, if you consider what quotas are supposed to do; they are supposed to help counter some of the inequalities that black Americans have faced for generations.

It sucks for the white folks or whomever misses on a college spot or a job or whatever, because of quotas. But most people tend to believe that the overall GOOD it will do for the black community in America, and indeed for ALL of America, outweighs those negatives, as badly as those negatives might sting on an individual level.

Personally, I think it's counterproductive and creates a sense of entitlement, but that's my opinion. I understand the difficulties the black community have dealt with in the past, but that's not the case now. We've progressed as a country and there isn't slavery, there isn't the amount of racism that we've once dealt with, everyone has rights.. Black Americans have the same opportunities that white americans have. If you look at majority of setbacks within any community of race, many factors play a role. From my perspective, it starts with your parents, education, culture, accountability etc.. I went to HS with a girl who was black and she went to Duke on academic scholarship, she busted her ass to make the grades and she even played basketball. I won't say her name out of respect. I also, know a few white people that went to the same HS who made shitty choices and ended up dead or in prison. You play stupid games and you get stupid prizes.

Those people are professionals and you are a guy claiming he basically knows everything involved...big difference...I know nothing about you...just don't want to hear it anymore

Oh, no no.

First, I am a professional. I teach history. In fact, I literally teach about this subject.

Second, I never claimed I know everything involved. But I know a lot. That's what happens when you learn about something. You know that, I am sure.

Does that help? Or are you still reluctant to listen?

And it is very odd for you to say "I don't want to hear it" and yet continue to read and write in a forum thread about the exact topic. I think you actually might mean something else.

Reactions: politicsasusual21
You do realize that one of the reasons for that is that black people are often not in a position to know or meet people who can pull strings for them. I also wonder how long we are supposed to "use the scalpel" rather than the sledgehammer.

What about other people that don't have the connections and are not African Americans? It happens to all people.

How do we justify students who clearly have better performances in school but are passed over for a scholarship simply because of skin color.

Is that not the same argument?

Oh, no no.

First, I am a professional. I teach history. In fact, I literally teach about this subject.

Second, I never claimed I know everything involved. But I know a lot. That's what happens when you learn about something. You know that, I am sure.

Does that help? Or are you still reluctant to listen?

And it is very odd for you to say "I don't want to hear it" and yet continue to read and write in a forum thread about the exact topic. I think you actually might mean something else.

As I said I don't know you at all...you say on a message board you teach history...you may or may not...just don't know for certain

It's interesting. I have a dear lady that I work with. She said that you let election time roll around and the white politicians are all over her church. Once election time is over, they are no where to seen. The vast majority are from the democratic party. They make promises but nothing changes.

What about other people that don't have the connections and are not African Americans? It happens to all people.

How do we justify students who clearly have better performances in school but are passed over for a scholarship simply because of skin color.

Is that not the same argument?

That's a great point as well. Wouldn't this be considered a competitive advantage?

It's interesting. I have a dear lady that I work with. She said that you let election time roll around and the white politicians are all over her church. Once election time is over, they are no where to seen. The vast majority are from the democratic party. They make promises but nothing changes.

It's all for a vote. I think you if you really dig into a lot of issues at hand, you will find that there's more a classism issue more than anything.. Compensation inequality within a workforce should be looked in to.

It's all for a vote. I think you if you really dig into a lot of issues at hand, you will find that there's more a classism issue more than anything.. Compensation inequality within a workforce should be looked in to.

I think a huge question we all should ask is why are politicians paying millions of dollars to hold a position that pays as little as it does.

Personally, I think it's counterproductive and creates a sense of entitlement, but that's my opinion. I understand the difficulties the black community have dealt with in the past, but that's not the case now. We've progressed as a country and there isn't slavery, there isn't the amount of racism that we've once dealt with, everyone has rights.. Black Americans have the same opportunities that white americans have. If you look at majority of setbacks within any community of race, many factors play a role. From my perspective, it starts with your parents, education, culture, accountability etc.. I went to HS with a girl who was black and she went to Duke on academic scholarship, she busted her ass to make the grades and she even played basketball. I won't say her name out of respect. I also, know a few white people that went to the same HS who made shitty choices and ended up dead or in prison. You play stupid games and you get stupid prizes.

So, individual stories of success or failure definitely don't easily reflect giant issues. That girl you went to HS with, if she were white, maybe she wouldn't have to bust her ass the way she did? Maybe she would have had wealthier parents who could have afforded a tutor, or maybe her parents would have gone to better schools and made better connections that would have enabled her to get into school easier. And for those white people, if they had been black maybe it would have been worse? Individual anecdotes are as much about what DIDN'T happen as what DID, so they aren't worth much in big discussion.

There are a million factors in how someones life goes. Race is a powerful one, because of how it impacts many other factors. I would definitely say scroll up and read that super long post I wrote, about the history of African Americans in this country, and how they impact parents, education, culture, and the rest of it. They are all connected. (And yes, I know it is long, but if you are interested in the topic, which you seem to be, it might be worth reading.)

Its a BIG topic, with a huge number of factors and centuries of cause and effect. That makes it hard to discuss.

Last edited:
As I said I don't know you at all...you say on a message board you teach history...you may or may not...just don't know for certain

Okay, I suppose I could be a guy lying on a message board about being a teacher. Which would be a really lame lie:)

So why don't we do this.

Here is what you "good griefed"

Black people were in chains for centuries, no ability to make money, no nuclear family, no generational memory passed down from parents to children... and then immediately after that we had black people not being allowed to go to good schools, not being allowed to own businesses, not having their votes counted, not being able to get high paying jobs to move to better places to live, not being able to get loans and mortgages to ensure they can move to better places to live, being considered animals by their "elected representatives", being lynched by people including police...

Black on black crime is basically poor on poor crime, and the reason that black people in America are so poor is almost ENTIRELY rooted in racism in our country.

What about that do you have a question about or issue with? You can pick just a sentence or two, and we can work from there.

Reactions: DukefanKY
I know teachers that are teaching at 90% minority schools. They have parents that have refused to pick up the work from school. Maybe its a transportation issue but that can't be it because the teachers are delivering it to the home. You take it the next time and the previous work is still lying there. How do we change that mindset.

there should be a drinking game. Drink every time someone does not mention Drew Brees in the Drew Brees thread. :)

Reactions: SDevada
Okay, I suppose I could be a guy lying on a message board about being a teacher. Which would be a really lame lie:)

So why don't we do this.

Here is what you "good griefed"

Black people were in chains for centuries, no ability to make money, no nuclear family, no generational memory passed down from parents to children... and then immediately after that we had black people not being allowed to go to good schools, not being allowed to own businesses, not having their votes counted, not being able to get high paying jobs to move to better places to live, not being able to get loans and mortgages to ensure they can move to better places to live, being considered animals by their "elected representatives", being lynched by people including police...

Black on black crime is basically poor on poor crime, and the reason that black people in America are so poor is almost ENTIRELY rooted in racism in our country.

What about that do you have a question about or issue with? You can pick just a sentence or two, and we can work from there.

TheDude,
History teacher here too. Not a Duke grad so maybe that means I’m not as qualified (jk, I’m really good at my job). Anyways, I don’t disagree with anything you are saying really. I have been wrestling with a lot of these ideas more recently for obvious reasons.
I saw some of the stated goals by the NAACP for police brutality reform and on the surface they seemed like good ideas. They could become subject to corruption etc., but that is true for many things.
My question for you (please don’t take this as me trying to put you on the spot, it’s honestly more of a curiosity), what are some fundamental changes that could be made to improve upon, possibly even fix, the deeper issues that many say are facing the black community (in the big picture of course). In the early movements (abolition, suffrage, civil rights) the goals were clear: no slavery/amendment, no voting restrictions/amendment and later laws to defend the amendment, and finally more legislation to end segregation etc/Civil Rights Act and so on.
So are there any concrete goals like these? I honestly don’t know and haven’t heard of many if any ideas. I think concrete goals like these make it easier for people to get behind, but many of the problems discussed are s intricate and complex that there are no simple fixes. If you don’t want to answer here I get it, but so far you seem eager to discuss.

Reactions: TheDude1
You are black? Okay then, I have some questions:)

Obvious how?

Wasn't that a very long time ago?

Aren't prisons just for criminals?

But why would that history then impact now?

What do you want to have happen that would pay off said debt?
It's obvious America doesn't care about black life here. You can see that in the education system and the criminal system. They miseducate our kids and don't put resources in the school to help them graduate. They make laws that affect black people more than whites. Look at the drug charges. You get signicantly more time for crack than just pure cocaine. I wonder why.

Prisons should be for violent offenders. We literally have many black men in prison because of non-violent offenses FOR LIFE. We don't get even average representation from public defenders so we have to take plea deals. This makes us felons. Once you're a felon, there's not many jobs that you can get that can put you in a comfortable position to feed your family.

History means everything. Why do you think we have been disconnected from our history in Africa? When you know your history, you know yourself. US was built on a certain set of "morals". When they created this country, black people weren't in mind or even supposed to ever be citizens of the country. It was built on white supremacy.

I believe the best way for black people to prosper is if we go back to segregation. I firmly believe "what is to be done for black people must be done by BLACK people". That's just me

There is more black on black crime in this country than white on black crime...is that our fault too? Geez I understand some of what you're saying but some is just crap...a black guy killed a white guy the other night in my area over a parking space...did you hear about it? Any protests over of? Nope not a one
if you understand sociology you would know why black people kill black people. white people kill white people as well. The media stirs up thing for a reason. They want an all-out war because they know we are outnumbered and outgunned. Media coverage is very tricky. I'm sure that black man that killed that white man will get the time he's supposed to. White people don't get the time black people get. Are you trying to argue that this country isn't built on racism?

if you understand sociology you would know why black people kill black people. white people kill white people as well. The media stirs up thing for a reason. They want an all-out war because they know we are outnumbered and outgunned. Media coverage is very tricky. I'm sure that black man that killed that white man will get the time he's supposed to. White people don't get the time black people get. Are you trying to argue that this country isn't built on racism?

So all blacks that kill get more than whites that kill huh? Oh BS

Yes there is racism no doubt...but not everything that don't go the way a person wants it to go is racism plain and simple

And as I've said what happened to Floyd was uncalled for and ridiculous...and the cop is a dead man walking either way

TheDude,
History teacher here too. Not a Duke grad so maybe that means I’m not as qualified (jk, I’m really good at my job). Anyways, I don’t disagree with anything you are saying really. I have been wrestling with a lot of these ideas more recently for obvious reasons.
I saw some of the stated goals by the NAACP for police brutality reform and on the surface they seemed like good ideas. They could become subject to corruption etc., but that is true for many things.
My question for you (please don’t take this as me trying to put you on the spot, it’s honestly more of a curiosity), what are some fundamental changes that could be made to improve upon, possibly even fix, the deeper issues that many say are facing the black community (in the big picture of course). In the early movements (abolition, suffrage, civil rights) the goals were clear: no slavery/amendment, no voting restrictions/amendment and later laws to defend the amendment, and finally more legislation to end segregation etc/Civil Rights Act and so on.
So are there any concrete goals like these? I honestly don’t know and haven’t heard of many if any ideas. I think concrete goals like these make it easier for people to get behind, but many of the problems discussed are s intricate and complex that there are no simple fixes. If you don’t want to answer here I get it, but so far you seem eager to discuss.

Hey man, no need to go to Duke to be a great teacher or be smart or be informed... just mentioned, since this is a Duke forum!:)

Great post, and I will definitely respond. Lemme do it later tho, as I’ve got to get the kids to bed and then the wife and i are doing date night, and it will take some thought. Ill be damned if I have any real answers though!:)

Btw, since being a teacher was brought up... I got this email just a couple of hours ago, from a former student.

Dear Mr. B,

I hope that you and your family are doing well during this time. I'm not sure if you remember me, but I was in your sixth-grade class in 2012. Last year I was a freshman at the University of A PLACE, and now I am a current student at ANOTHER University. Recently, there has been "tension" online due to a statement released by my high school (A LOCAL CHRISTIAN HIGH SCHOOL) regarding the death of George Floyd. There are currently over a thousand comments on Instagram from past and current black students as well as POC students describing the many times that our school's administration, certain teachers, and students had mistreated them due to the color of their skin. It is heartbreaking to think that a place of education could condone anything like this, and while my school's faults were later addressed by the administration, it was only done so due to the many brave voices that spoke up during this time.

I am emailing you because I wanted to thank you for opening up the uncomfortable conversations and reminding us to dig deeper and to fight for what is right. These conversations may seem too heavy or difficult to understand to kids who barely remember to bring back their library books, yet you continued to have them. It is teachers like you who help students realize that their voices, although small, can be used to make a change. I will never forget how well you taught our class our country's history, never failing to highlight the struggles and not-so-pretty times we have had in the past. You encouraged all of us to never settle and to question anything that we saw unfit. Growing up in OUR NICE LITTLE TOWN, it is quite obvious how easy it is to shelter ourselves from what is going on around the world, and you were able to ease 11 and 12-year-olds to see beyond our small bubble. I'm sure that these past few months have been hard teaching your students over Zoom and Google Classroom (my brother is currently in third grade, and I can attest that he actually WANTS to go back to school :) ). I am confident that after I graduated from OUR SCHOOL, you continued to provide an equally great experience to those who had the honor of having you as their teacher.

Thank you again, and I hope to hear from you soon,
A FORMER STUDENT

Hey man, no need to go to Duke to be a great teacher or be smart or be informed... just mentioned, since this is a Duke forum!:)

Great post, and I will definitely respond. Lemme do it later tho, as I’ve got to get the kids to bed and then the wife and i are doing date night, and it will take some thought. Ill be damned if I have any real answers though!:)

Btw, since being a teacher was brought up... I got this email just a couple of hours ago, from a former student.

Dear Mr. B,

I hope that you and your family are doing well during this time. I'm not sure if you remember me, but I was in your sixth-grade class in 2012. Last year I was a freshman at the University of A PLACE, and now I am a current student at ANOTHER University. Recently, there has been "tension" online due to a statement released by my high school (A LOCAL CHRISTIAN HIGH SCHOOL) regarding the death of George Floyd. There are currently over a thousand comments on Instagram from past and current black students as well as POC students describing the many times that our school's administration, certain teachers, and students had mistreated them due to the color of their skin. It is heartbreaking to think that a place of education could condone anything like this, and while my school's faults were later addressed by the administration, it was only done so due to the many brave voices that spoke up during this time.

I am emailing you because I wanted to thank you for opening up the uncomfortable conversations and reminding us to dig deeper and to fight for what is right. These conversations may seem too heavy or difficult to understand to kids who barely remember to bring back their library books, yet you continued to have them. It is teachers like you who help students realize that their voices, although small, can be used to make a change. I will never forget how well you taught our class our country's history, never failing to highlight the struggles and not-so-pretty times we have had in the past. You encouraged all of us to never settle and to question anything that we saw unfit. Growing up in OUR NICE LITTLE TOWN, it is quite obvious how easy it is to shelter ourselves from what is going on around the world, and you were able to ease 11 and 12-year-olds to see beyond our small bubble. I'm sure that these past few months have been hard teaching your students over Zoom and Google Classroom (my brother is currently in third grade, and I can attest that he actually WANTS to go back to school :) ). I am confident that after I graduated from OUR SCHOOL, you continued to provide an equally great experience to those who had the honor of having you as their teacher.

Thank you again, and I hope to hear from you soon,
A FORMER STUDENT

Believe me I know that the college you went to actually matters very little in most cases, unless it’s UNC, then it says everything about who you are.
Cool email from the student. That’s the reason for teaching. If you would rather send me an email when you get the time feel free: dmitch1385@gmail com
I feel like we might have more to talk about than this message board wants to see. Either way is cool with me though.

So all blacks that kill get more than whites that kill huh? Oh BS

Yes there is racism no doubt...but not everything that don't go the way a person wants it to go is racism plain and simple

And as I've said what happened to Floyd was uncalled for and ridiculous...and the cop is a dead man walking either way
I don't care about racism. I expect that. Black people are given stricter jail sentences than white people. Let's not act completely lost with what I said. I never said every single black person get more time than white people smh

I’m not trying to downplay racism, it sucks, no way around it. But Kap is kneeling based on stats like the below?

perspective from WaPo, a raging liberal outlet:

In 2019

- 1004 police killing of citizens in America
- 802 had both police and suspect race identified
- 371 of victims were white
- 236 were black
- 10 of the 236 black victims killed were unarmed, 226 were armed

I’m struggling, based on this data, to find where police are openly killing unarmed black people in the streets. Now you can say, based on % to total population, blacks are killed by police more frequently than whites, but look at the ratio of armed victims. Insane.

In a break between bedtime and date night.

No prob Ran, I’ll totally post here:)

Yes, many studies have show black people generally get far harsher punishments for breaking the law.

Fourteen, it isn’t just about stats of unarmed black people being killed by cops. The anger isn’t actually, at the heart of things, all about black people being killed by cops, even though those have been huge triggers... it is about decades of what African Americans see as unfair policing, of tensions between cops and the black communities they police, about tens of thousands of instances where police unfairly pull over black people, harass them, beat them, arrest them, and often without repercussions. It’s been going on for decades and decades, more obviously for a hundred years of segregation, but it still happens all the time. I don’t know a single black person who doesn’t get nervous every time a cop car is behind them, I don’t know a black mother who hasn’t had “the talk” with her black son, I don’t know a black person who doesn’t, deep down in side, feel the tiny bit anxious about ever having to call the cops if they need them.

It is a decades old issue, and one which has been passed down from generation of cop to generation of cop, and from generation of African American to generation of African American. We are doing better, but man, there is a long way to go, and honestly I doubt we will ever really end it... but we can make it better for sure.

In a break between bedtime and date night.

No prob Ran, I’ll totally post here:)

Yes, many studies have show black people generally get far harsher punishments for breaking the law.

Fourteen, it isn’t just about stats of unarmed black people being killed by cops. The anger isn’t actually, at the heart of things, all about black people being killed by cops, even though those have been huge triggers... it is about decades of what African Americans see as unfair policing, of tensions between cops and the black communities they police, about tens of thousands of instances where police unfairly pull over black people, harass them, beat them, arrest them, and often without repercussions. It’s been going on for decades and decades, more obviously for a hundred years of segregation, but it still happens all the time. I don’t know a single black person who doesn’t get nervous every time a cop car is behind them, I don’t know a black mother who hasn’t had “the talk” with her black son, I don’t know a black person who doesn’t, deep down in side, feel the tiny bit anxious about ever having to call the cops if they need them.

It is a decades old issue, and one which has been passed down from generation of cop to generation of cop, and from generation of African American to generation of African American. We are doing better, but man, there is a long way to go, and honestly I doubt we will ever really end it... but we can make it better for sure.

So no stats to back that up in today’s environment?

Hell I'm “white” and I’m nervous when a cop is behind me. Guess getting my ass kicked while in cuffs in the past did that to me.

I’m not buying what Kap and BLM are selling, and IMO, they’re contributing to the suppressive mentality that black people can never get ahead because of the police, and society in general, is against them.

I’m not trying to downplay racism, it sucks, no way around it. But Kap is kneeling based on stats like the below?

perspective from WaPo, a raging liberal outlet:

In 2019

- 1004 police killing of citizens in America
- 802 had both police and suspect race identified
- 371 of victims were white
- 236 were black
- 10 of the 236 black victims killed were unarmed, 226 were armed

I’m struggling, based on this data, to find where police are openly killing unarmed black people in the streets. Now you can say, based on % to total population, blacks are killed by police more frequently than whites, but look at the ratio of armed victims. Insane.
It's definitely not all about police killing unarmed black people. It's much deeper than those numbers. But for the numbers to be that close is alarming. Black people are outnumbered almost 4 to 1. Let me guess...white people know how to act when they're getting arrested huh?

So no stats to back that up in today’s environment?

Hell I'm “white” and I’m nervous when a cop is behind me. Guess getting my ass kicked while in cuffs in the past did that to me.

I’m not buying what Kap and BLM are selling, and IMO, they’re contributing to the suppressive mentality that black people can never get ahead because of the police, and society in general, is against them.
Only way black people can get ahead is if we segregate. We've tried everything else. I don't buy what BLM is selling because we've been trying that for too long. Time to try another plan. 30 years from now my people will be marching in the street for the same thing if we keep doing these protests and marches.

It's definitely not all about police killing unarmed black people. It's much deeper than those numbers. But for the numbers to be that close is alarming. Black people are outnumbered almost 4 to 1. Let me guess...white people know how to act when they're getting arrested huh?

Did you actually go to the WaPo site and see how many white people were unarmed? Or would you say cops are planting those guns after shooting black people? Why are black on black shooting numbers significantly higher than white on white shootings? Do white people better know how to handle firearms?

Only way black people can get ahead is if we segregate. We've tried everything else. I don't buy what BLM is selling because we've been trying that for too long. Time to try another plan. 30 years from now my people will be marching in the street for the same thing if we keep doing these protests and marches.

So you literally want to regress and actually segregate all races from blacks? If so, that may be the most idiotic thing I’ve read to date. Hoping I’m wrong here lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT