ADVERTISEMENT

The New Lounge

Seems like the stock market is high enough even now to make his sell off even more foolish. Guess he has enough money either way. Wonder if he bought back in at 18,000.

He deserves his day in court, like the other 3. (It does look like there is reason to prosecute.) If convicted, they should be made examples of. More likely, they reach some deal that keeps them out of jail and keeps most of the money they made.
I think they have decided not to pursue the other two.

Burr's chances of winning public office again are below freezing.....
#Burrrrrrrrrrrr

OFC

Burr's chances of winning public office again are below freezing.....
#Burrrrrrrrrrrr

OFC

Last year he announced that he was retiring from public office and would not seek re-election.

If he were a member of the other party the media would be giving him the benefit of doubt and probably defending him.

Interesting how many members of Congress (both parties) have become multi millionaires while in office. How is this possible? No way is this possible
on their congressional salary and maintaining a residence in DC.

Maybe time for term limits.

Last year he announced that he was retiring from public office and would not seek re-election.

If he were a member of the other party the media would be giving him the benefit of doubt and probably defending him.

Interesting how many members of Congress (both parties) have become multi millionaires while in office. How is this possible? No way is this possible

Experience is a benefit, but how effective are these congressman after so many years. I worked for a private company that were big supporters of Burr and he made several visits to our plant.

long since time for term limits, good luck with ever seeing that happen...

I would almost be ok with no term limits if we could get rid of Gerrymandering and dark money/Citizens United. Both are very bad for both sides true mission.

Reactions: bullettoothtony

Congress does allow for a certain amount of income for outside activities.
And I can't let the attack on the liberal media pass. Given how strong Fox News, the Wall Street Journal and the NY Post are, the "conservative media"(which at least for Fox should be called propaganda), gets plenty of air time. And, remember, The NY Times ran article after article about Hillary's email without making it clear that all she was violating was a state department internal directive.

JK....who's gonna be the best team next year? I really have no idea. We have some pieces, but once again some holes. Who do you say really has the most complete team?

Gifs for the macabre

9Lj6xnWAnqr2rBX19

rtk6s4XCRRrtrajh6

4Wn6nQ9rjT61BcGJ9

T3KvuzgUBooKvMNc6

mmcnbZZGVDdvEqf3A

Dammit...I spent all that time looking for funny protest gifs and couldn't even post them correctly. Take my word for it...they were funny.

The kneeling issue is just about the most divisive issue we have right now. My wife and I disagree on it. I think Brees realized it would have been better just to stay quiet in the first place.

The kneeling issue is just about the most divisive issue we have right now. My wife and I disagree on it. I think Brees realized it would have been better just to stay quiet in the first place.
On the other hand, his right to free speech is protected under the Constitution. I think.

I think both of you make good points. Given our present rate of injustice, I surmised his initial reaction wasnt going to play well.However by the same token, I could see how Drew was looking thru the lens of both his grandfathers military service- his own blood relatives, and might have that initial thought. I certainly hold no hard feelings toward him, and applaud him for immediately issuing a heartfelt apology this morning.Good job to man up, and wish Drew Brees all the best. OFC

I miss the days when you could have differing opinions and talk about it. Now its all about getting shouted down. This is what will prevent us from being a truly great nation again. We will be unable to get out of each others way. We need to get back to relationship building. If you don't know your neighbor, you fear your neighbor. True relationship can not be built if your only interaction is behind a monitor or screen.

You are not allowed to speak your opinion without one side in particular vilifying you and essentially demanding that you bow at the alter of wokeness and political correctness despite the hypocrisy of outrage over one crime which is obviously evil, yet completely ignoring crimes equally evil that do not fit that particular narrative. It is a shame that he caved and apologized, but we all knew he would be forced to do it. Kinda like how the me too movement believes all accusers who accuse men of one party, but shun accusers who accuse men of their own party. This is the world we live in, sad. BTW, looters and rioters are in the wrong at all times. Peaceful protests are the way to truly be heard.

My comment on Brees (and I don't want to belabor it), is not that he doesn't have a right to say what he wants, but that if he cares about the reactions of those around him in NOLA (which clearly he does, as evidenced by his apology) he should have realized that before he spoke.

Everyone has the right to free speech (except in the yelling fire in a crowded theater scenario) but if we care about people's reactions, we should think first.

Reactions: df64 and SDevada
You are not allowed to speak your opinion without one side in particular vilifying you and essentially demanding that you bow at the alter of wokeness and political correctness despite the hypocrisy of outrage over one crime which is obviously evil, yet completely ignoring crimes equally evil that do not fit that particular narrative. It is a shame that he caved and apologized, but we all knew he would be forced to do it. Kinda like how the me too movement believes all accusers who accuse men of one party, but shun accusers who accuse men of their own party. This is the world we live in, sad. BTW, looters and rioters are in the wrong at all times. Peaceful protests are the way to truly be heard.
Al Franken says hello.

Reactions: dbav

I totally agree with your view. There's a narrative that's pushed and individuals are viewed and labeled differently if you don't agree with it.

Drew Bree's shouldn't apologize for his comments at all. He was simply stating he feels like the flag was being disrespected when US citizens don't follow tradition and show respect while the national anthem is played. What's wrong with that?
Except he was doing precisely what people on the board bemoan, basically dismissing the opposing point of view about kneeling as wrong. And perhaps a few days after George Floyd was killed and the country is roiled by protests is not the best time to make that statement in that tone. With that said, he was certainly entitled to do so, just like the athletes etc who criticized him were entitle to do that as well.

Reactions: df64 and ceilo77
Except he was doing precisely what people on the board bemoan, basically dismissing the opposing point of view about kneeling as wrong. And perhaps a few days after George Floyd was killed and the country is roiled by protests is not the best time to make that statement in that tone. With that said, he was certainly entitled to do so, just like the athletes etc who criticized him were entitle to do that as well.

I agree with what you're saying in terms of everyone having the right to speak his/her opinion on the topic. I'm just simply stating that I wouldn't apologize for his stance on the flag. Personally, I feel like there's a better way to getting a message across and maybe that's what Bree's meant.

I have some thoughts about all this, but they are just some form or the other of ones that have already been stated here.

but...it is very refreshing to read a form of social media (seriously this board is as social media as I get) where people are looking at both sides of an issue and not being just stubbornly stupid about it. So kudos, and that’s why most the time this board is awesome.

As a history lover and teacher I do see some pretty BIG stuff happening right now. No idea where it will end, but a lot of what’s going on feels important. No matter which side your on, I would hope we could all find some value in being part of these times. Nothing pisses me off quite like those who bemoan the difficulties of 2020. I mean yeah, it seems tough, and for many it actually is. But 2019 was tough for a lot of people too, and 2021 will be tough probably. Appreciate life, love people, and support Duke basketball! Can’t go wrong there.

Shouldn't have to apologize...it's his right to say what he feels...if a teammate gets mad then so be it...deal with it

I don't see these athletes saying a word about the people tearing up their city looting and stealing...those people need to be in jail period....white black orange or green

If I was an athlete I would be giving a lot of yes and no answers to the media. Charles Barkley is the only athlete I know that could say anything and get by.

Shouldn't have to apologize...it's his right to say what he feels...if a teammate gets mad then so be it...deal with it

I don't see these athletes saying a word about the people tearing up their city looting and stealing...those people need to be in jail period....white black orange or green
The looters are clearly not part of the peaceful protesters,. they are usually out of staters who like breaking windows. Most of the peaceful protesters have tried to stop them. The athletes are not discussing them because they are not the story. The story is to address race bias in law enforcement.

The looters are clearly not part of the peaceful protesters,. they are usually out of staters who like breaking windows. Most of the peaceful protesters have tried to stop them. The athletes are not discussing them because they are not the story. The story is to address race bias in law enforcement.

Can't lump all cops into the action of 4 idiots...there is more black on black crime in this country but they dont want to acknowledge that...all they wanna do is put blame when a white kills a black.

Not saying I condone any of this crap...and that one cop should be in jail for life...he is a dead man walking either way in my opinion.

Looters are just the people that are scum..act all tough and demand change then steal people blind and say it will force change ....idiots

Peaceful protesters I'm fine with...voice your opinion like any American has the right too...even Drew Brees

It is not just four idiots. there is a nationwide problem. I am actually a member of law enforcement and I am constantly sticking up for police who I feel are hung out to dry by people who refuse to understand how difficult and dangerous it is to be a cop. With that said, I also recognize a systemic problem involving race bias. In fact, we go to training seminars dealing with internalized racism regularly, and I have learned a lot from those sessions. Race bias was a problem before George Floyd was killed and it will continue to be a problem if there are not honest conversations from both sides. Floyd is a unique situation because it did not involve a judgment call about whether the cop was threatened and so needed to use force, like Michael Brown. Floyd was down and under control when that officer drove his knee into Floyd’s neck. It actually looked like Floyd was being tortured. The fact that the AG had to be strong-armed to bring charges was even more disgusting. There is a lot of pent up anger over this issue and Floyd was simply the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Last edited:
I'm saying alot of people judge all cops the same and it's simply just not true...just like alot judge all blacks or all whites the same

Reactions: hart2chesson
I support a persons right to hold a peaceful protest. My question is why would you not turn and leave when the morons that want to loot and riot start acting up. Remove yourself from the problem and return the next day. Rinse and repeat. Let the trouble makers be easier to find.

Reactions: hart2chesson
The protesters have actively tried to stop the looting when they have seen it but a lot of it has taken place after the protesters have moved on to other areas. They have also come out and helped the businesses that were looted clean up and board up.So in fact they are doing one better than leaving. They are trying to stop it.

Last edited:
The protesters have actively tried to stop the looting when they have seen it but a lot of it has taken place after the protesters have moved on to other areas. They have also come out and helped the businesses that were looted clean up and board up.So in fact they are doing one better than leaving. They are trying to stop it.

But should they try and stop it? How can law enforcement tell who's who. You are forced to make quick decisions and taking the time to figure out which is which is not a luxury that they have right now.

Reactions: dukesince91
From what I have been reading, there is not too much confusion about who is who. I could be wrong about that but if the protestors don't try to rein in those idiots who just like to break stuff then the message gets co-opted and becomes all about the vandals. By attempting to be good citizens, the protestors show that they aren't unruly rabble-rousers but serious people with thoughts and ideas worth listening to.

Poor Drew. Don't step up to the mob if you are just going to fold hours later. Lesson to us all. Unless you are willing to sacrifice your job or even safety, "just shut up". It is not worth it. Make your voice heard in November inside a voting booth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT