ADVERTISEMENT

The Duke Effect

Honestly…K set scheyer up perfectly. If he is who I think he is as a coach he
Is going to be wildly successful. It won’t be the same without K, but I think we are in good hands. K had his pick of the litter as far as he disciples and he chose Scheyer. I really like him. He couldn’t really be asking for a better situation to come into and his first recruiting class is proof that we still got it

Is going to be wildly successful. It won’t be the same without K, but I think we are in good hands. K had his pick of the litter as far as he disciples and he chose Scheyer. I really like him. He couldn’t really be asking for a better situation to come into and his first recruiting class is proof that we still got it
Me personally, I wanted Capel for this reason. Seeing Scheyer recruit at a Capel like level has caused me to change my mind. Now his coaching will be something I’m interested in seeing (does he coach like K or does he branch off with his own philosophies?). Capel is the only former Duke player (under K) to advance deep in the NCAA Tournament (went to the Elite 8 in 2009). Yeah, I wanted Capel for the experience and recruiting but Scheyer has certainly answered the latter. I hope he can keep it going (sustained excellence on the recruiting trail).

His first recruiting class doesn’t mean squat IMO . Like you said K set Jon up perfectly. We’ll see what he’s got when he has to coach AND recruit during the season.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 skerz 3
Idk how theses coaches do it. Or K did it. You have to basically have 4 or 5 different lives all on the short span of coaching your own team You’re looking ahead , recruiting, pondering who stays and goes to the nba, building relationships 1,2,3 years in advance while having your personal life all while winning presently lol. Jon has a lot to live up to ..it’s a lot to take and succeed under a GOAT

His first recruiting class doesn’t mean squat IMO . Like you said K set Jon up perfectly. We’ll see what he’s got when he has to coach AND recruit during the season.
How could it not mean squat? Not a single recruit believed K would be their coach? You have to give that some credit. Especially these days, where players/recruits have a ton of leverage.

Jon was the best fit for rebuilding a foundation of hopefully, another longevity of success and branding. A commitment, at his young age, that won't come without trials or even temptations. I am beyond comfortable with his ability to connect with recruits, families and even the media the same way K did...

He was a savant on the court who got the most out of his ability. A natural leader by actions, not words. He will continue to grow into the best candidate to succeed K, by far! Even if he doesn't have 4 years to prove himself. He has ice in his veins, which is why K though so highly of him. And if you think for a minute, it was so he could control or manipulate Jon, then you haven't learned anything about what Coach K truly was to this program!
Sorry, I read an article recently that suggested that was the reason!

All that said,

Let's go Duke tonight!!!

Duke is a brand in sports, been that way for a long time now. Last week's tournament a perfect example, which game had the most viewers? Duke and MSU - 11.2M viewers, which made it the most-watched NCAA Tournament game of this year’s first week. And every time there's a big ratings stat it always seems to be Duke vs somebody. Scheyer may do well, he may not but I have no doubt that either way he'll have good players every year.

We all know Coach K has made Duke the face of college basketball. It's more than just winning. He does it with some flair. Anyone that's followed Duke for a long time knows how he has been. He has shown so much emotion. Which makes us like him, and a lot of others, not.
He is why Duke is so watched. Same with Tiger, the Yankees...

We believe Jon will recruit well. And we hope he coaches well. But for him, or whoever is at the helm, doing it with some fire is the only way I think Duke stays near what K has built the program to.

Reactions: youngman42
We all know Coach K has made Duke the face of college basketball. It's more than just winning. He does it with some flair. Anyone that's followed Duke for a long time knows how he has been. He has shown so much emotion. Which makes us like him, and a lot of others, not.
He is why Duke is so watched. Same with Tiger, the Yankees...

We believe Jon will recruit well. And we hope he coaches well. But for him, or whoever is at the helm, doing it with some fire is the only way I think Duke stays near what K has built the program to.

When a team is a participant in some of the greatest and most memorable games ever played that helps the "brand" become like a tattoo. A couple of Tournament examples would be Duke-UNLV round 2, an iconic game in my personal favorite Final Four of all-time. Duke-Kentucky 1992 is considered one of the top 5 greatest games ever played in College Hoops. People still are writing books about that game all these years later.

The drama in those two games cannot ever be overstated.

The incoming class and the one after we’re all recruited by Scheyer read each recruits commitment article they all knew K was gone and all believe in Scheyer especially Flip.

Reactions: timo0402
The incoming class and the one after we’re all recruited by Scheyer read each recruits commitment article they all knew K was gone and all believe in Scheyer especially Flip.
I’m well aware . Capel recruited pretty good himself

I’m well aware . Capel recruited pretty good himself
Yes under K as an assistant at Duke. His recruiting hasn’t really showed up at Pitt and four players have already entered the transfer portal .

Yes under K as an assistant at Duke. His recruiting hasn’t really showed up at Pitt and four players have already entered the transfer portal .
Facts have no place on the internet. Cease and desist.

Scheyer's class is very impressive. It is important to note that he is currently riding an enormous wave of Coach K momentum, and the true test will come a few years down the road. Coach K is still here when these recruits visit, and he's said he'll be around the next few years.

Scheyer's class is very impressive. It is important to note that he is currently riding an enormous wave of Coach K momentum, and the true test will come a few years down the road. Coach K is still here when these recruits visit, and he's said he'll be around the next few years.
Yes but not around the basketball program. Grant Hill said K told him , he didn’t want to undermine Scheyer so no one should expect him at practices .

I might agree on that for the class of 2022 but not the 2023 class. Scheyer and Nolan are doing a fine job as well is C Well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT